Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

Hero of Ages has been finished. Well of Ascension didn't really hook me, but I liked Hero of Ages much more. I have however noticed that Sanderson's writing has gotten a lot better since the first Mistborn books. The avalanches he does felt a lot stronger to me in Stormlight Archives than Mistborn. I was able to put down the Mistborn books during the endings, where I was reading Way of Kings and Words of Radiance while getting dressed for work it was so captivating.

The apocalyptic scenario was awesome. I had ** big ending spoiler ** been spoiled that Sazed took both Ruin and Preservation, but lacking context I had no idea what it meant until I actually got there anyway. When it finally got to that point in the story it didn't even bother me that it was spoiled. I was really surprised that both Vin and Elend died. It was much more of a bittersweet ending than I've come to expect from Sanderson.

I'm really looking forward to picking up era 2 now. Book 4 seems a bit lowly rated on Goodreads (one of my few gauges of books), but then 5 seems to pick up. I think I'm going to go through Arcanum Unbounded before I get into another epic multi-part book though. I will say that Mistborn enhanced some of my understanding of what's going on in Stormlight Archives.

There's one story in AU, Secret History, that reveals a bunch of stuff for Mistborn and didn't come out until after the latest era 2 book, as it concerns one of the big reveals. You probably want to skip that one til you're caught up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jorenko posted:

There's one story in AU, Secret History, that reveals a bunch of stuff for Mistborn and didn't come out until after the latest era 2 book, as it concerns one of the big reveals. You probably want to skip that one til you're caught up.

Yeah, definitely finish the Wax and Wayne books before reading that one.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Bummer. I thought it was the first trilogy and then I'm free to read it. I've been holding back as is, but 2 more books to go isn't bad I guess.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Bummer. I thought it was the first trilogy and then I'm free to read it. I've been holding back as is, but 2 more books to go isn't bad I guess.

Three - Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, and Bands of Mourning. Theoretically, you could read it before starting on the Wax and Wayne books, as it doesn't spoil any of the actual plot of those books, but I would still recommend waiting until after Bands of Mourning.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Must have missed a page massively beaten to warning off. Do read the lift story though. She's full of awesomeness.

tim0mit
Dec 28, 2008
Anyone know how far ahead one can usually order one of the leather bound editions of his books? I want to get one of oathbringer.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

You can read Everything in AU without really worrying except Secret History (until you are caught up on mistborn era 2), and Edge Dancer (until you finish Words Of Radiance). I think everything else is short stories, although maybe one happens during the avalanche at the end of Elantris...

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Pash posted:

You can read Everything in AU without really worrying except Secret History (until you are caught up on mistborn era 2), and Edge Dancer (until you finish Words Of Radiance). I think everything else is short stories, although maybe one happens during the avalanche at the end of Elantris...

Yeah one spoils the ending of Elantris with it's framing device.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Each story in AU includes a little blurb stating when it occurs, which is nice.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I liked Wax and Wayne #2, and the further development of Wayne as a character. I liked the idea that technology was finally emerging, but I never really felt sold on exactly how they were making these leaps. The Kandra twist was seen coming from a way off, but it wasn't bad.

I liked the opening of Wax and Wayne #3, but only the opening. The rest of the book was stupid.

That is all.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Someone in this thread recommended Robin Hobb after I had exhausted the Sanderson catalog. I finished reading her stuff now.. where do I go from here?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mewse posted:

Someone in this thread recommended Robin Hobb after I had exhausted the Sanderson catalog. I finished reading her stuff now.. where do I go from here?

If you haven't read Zelazny you should.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mewse posted:

What do you want out of a book? To me, I enjoy fantasy that is just escapism and book-form equivalent of an immersive summer-blockbuster movie/game (but not DnD litrpg trash either) where I can just pick up and get engrossed during the train ride to and from work in a half-asleep fugue or tired state, and maybe read into the wee hours at night on a weekend or on a plane. Most don't tread anything new and don't hold a candle to "really good" stuff like Gene Wolfe and may have problems with not the best prose, or female characters, or whatever but I like them even recognizing that.

If you're ok with fantasy that isn't anything super special or new per se and more of the former description, I could throw out a lot of recommendations:
  • First Law + Standalone (Best Served Cold, The Heroes, Red Country) by Joe Abercrombie are among my favorites. Starts a little slow with First Law but gets better with each book, and honestly his standalones are even better than First Law trilogy. Abercrombie is one of the few exceptions that does do something very good and fairly fresh and new on it's own.

• e: Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. The first one is insanely good, then he has two more, the second one is more pirate-y boating adventures and third one is more political-theatre romance-y. I will say it's a testament to how good the first one is that even though the second one drops drastically in quality it's still an entertaining read, and that third one drops a bit even more than the second yet also worth a read as well.

• Great Coats series by Sebastian De Castell. Some of the most simultaneously upbeat, humorous, and yet dark swashbuckling adventure fantasy books I've read.

• Dagger and the Coin series by Daniel Abraham. Each book really flowed into something bigger and bigger and each got better. First book is the weakest and does start off a little slow, but really does pick up after each book and I was powering through each book quickly into wee hours of the night thereafter.

• Powder Mage trilogy by Brian McClellan. This guy is very much a Sander-clone (he was even a pupil of Sanderson) and it's not a bad thing, I think they get a little weaker with each book but I liked them. He has a new book 1 of a new trilogy(?) out which is really quite an improvement writing wise as well and good but you need to read the first trilogy first.

• Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence. If you liked this trilogy, then go with his first trilogy called Prince of Thorns (they're both in the same far flung dying-ish earth/post-apocalyptic earth universe) but Prince of Thorns has a more dickish very dividing "protagonist" which is either liked/hated so ymmv. He also has a new book out called Red Sister which I liked but it's just the first so far.

• Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks. Very Sanderson-like with cool magic system, first three books are entertaining but hoo boy the 4th book really loving blows and almost makes the rest of them suck by association. There's still 1 book left to be finished so we'll see if it gets redeemed but the first three are good. I'd also throw out his first series Nightangel there which I liked in a very guilty-pleasure way which you may want to check out if you are fine with power-fantasy wishfullfilment type stuff but I won't defend it as being remotely "good" and not by a long shot.
There's also book one of a new series called Dawn of Wonder by Johnathan Renshaw which I liked but there's still many more to come so it's unfinished right now so who knows where that will go. Comedy option is Patrick Rothfuss, but no really don't read it it's bad even by my low trash standards.

You can also get into Malazan series (wasn't for me but I'll try again), then there is of course local goonwritten The Traitor Baru Cormorant which is actually legitimately good and not just more casual-good.

I could probably think of some worse ones that I still had fun reading during my commute but I think there's plenty out there without delving into the lower rungs for the time being.

e: wrong series name for one guy, and I can't believe I forgot Lies of Locke Lamora.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 15, 2017

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

mewse posted:

If you want a real good fantasy hit up 'The Lies of Locke Lamora'. It stands above the crowd in the genre.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Xaris posted:

Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks. Very Sanderson-like with cool magic system, first three books are entertaining but hoo boy the 4th book really loving blows and almost makes the rest of them suck by association. There's still 1 book left to be finished so we'll see if it gets redeemed but the first three are good.

This is a bad opinion (well, not really but I had the exact opposite reaction tot he book). The fourth book is fantastic. Give me a minute and I'll see if I can dig up the effort posting I did on this book.

E: and of course I can't.

Anyway the gist of it was, yeah Kip (as always) is one of the least interesting characters to me and continues to be so, but all the others (main and secondary) are fantastically represented and layered like onions. Characters like Andross who I *loathed* in the 1st and 2nd books, becomes if not sympathetic, at least relatable and is no longer a mustache twirling villain. Kerris makes sacrifices for the greater good, and Teia gets sucked deeper into a role she doesn't want out of sense of duty and obligation. And what happens to "Gavin" completely reshapes everything he (and we) knows about himself and who he is.

While the series plot itself didn't advance much, the world and people in it change and grow or resist and ossify. It's not perfect, I still think Kip is not a strong POV character, but the rest of the cast more than makes up for it. This whole book is maneuvering everyone to set up the climatic book (at least I think the next one is the last in this).

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 14, 2017

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

BananaNutkins posted:

I liked Wax and Wayne #2, and the further development of Wayne as a character. I liked the idea that technology was finally emerging, but I never really felt sold on exactly how they were making these leaps. The Kandra twist was seen coming from a way off, but it wasn't bad.

I liked the opening of Wax and Wayne #3, but only the opening. The rest of the book was stupid.

That is all.

They have a throwaway line explaining that, seems the Lord Ruler had been surpressing technological advancement for some time Sazed probably just put some good pointers about that stuff in the books he left.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

flosofl posted:

This is a bad opinion (well, not really but I had the exact opposite reaction tot he book). The fourth book is fantastic. Give me a minute and I'll see if I can dig up the effort posting I did on this book.

E: and of course I can't.

Anyway the gist of it was, yeah Kip (as always) is one of the least interesting characters to me and continues to be so, but all the others (main and secondary) are fantastically represented and layered like onions. Characters like Andross who I *loathed* in the 1st and 2nd books, becomes if not sympathetic, at least relatable and is no longer a mustache twirling villain. Kerris makes sacrifices for the greater good, and Teia gets sucked deeper into a role she doesn't want out of sense of duty and obligation. And what happens to "Gavin" completely reshapes everything he (and we) knows about himself and who he is.

While the series plot itself didn't advance much, the world and people in it change and grow or resist and ossify. It's not perfect, I still think Kip is not a strong POV character, but the rest of the cast more than makes up for it. This whole book is maneuvering everyone to set up the climatic book (at least I think the next one is the last in this).

I just couldn't believe that book 4 wasn't the end the story. I really don't enjoy starting unfinished series, because I often have to re-read from the beginning to catch up. I dig Lightbringer, but not enough to read the whole thing over again.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Brent Weeks has a really bad habit of trying to make things "badass" or "dark," but can only do so from the perspective of an angry 14-year-old boy.

It sometimes works, mostly when the POV of the scene in question is actually that of an angry teenage boy. Sadly he can't just limit it to that. Everything is written that way, even scenes featuring nothing but adults, even elderly people. They still interact with each other as if they're angry teenage boys.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016

ConfusedUs posted:

Brent Weeks has a really bad habit of trying to make things "badass" or "dark," but can only do so from the perspective of an angry 14-year-old boy.

It sometimes works, mostly when the POV of the scene in question is actually that of an angry teenage boy. Sadly he can't just limit it to that. Everything is written that way, even scenes featuring nothing but adults, even elderly people. They still interact with each other as if they're angry teenage boys.

You just explained right here why I just can't read Brent Weeks.

That is also why I can't appreciate Prince of Thorns. It is just too edgy. Could not get after page 20 of "look at me I'm badass!".

Would totally recommend The Greatcoats and Powder Mage trilogy to everyone, ever.
Both are very well written, awesome scenes and deep characters.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Strumpy posted:

If you want a real good fantasy hit up 'The Lies of Locke Lamora'. It stands above the crowd in the genre.

That is a very good series yeah, but there's not been any new books since 2012 or 2013 whenever Republic of Thieves was released.

My main problem with Lightbringer is that he had to get all rapey on Teia. Still don't understand why every fantasy author feels the need to include rape in some form or other.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Used to read Sanderson, not really sure why I stopped. At the time I didn't have a Kindle and his books were getting huge so that might be a factor.

Lately I've been enjoying the Cradle series by Will Wight. First book is Unsouled. He builds a magic system in a similar vein as Sanderson, laying lots of hints and foreshadowing here and there, but I don't feel like it ever forms the cornerstone of the story or plot.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

ConfusedUs posted:

Man, either you're young enough to idealize being "an adult", or you have a life, friends, and family I'd be insanely envious of if I actually believed people acted any different from 25 to death. Not to get political, but for gently caress's sake, look at our president and ... anyone. Hell, :toxx:, name one single googlable person and I will link some incredibly weird and childish poo poo they've done in the last 10 years or 10 years of their life. Supid poo poo never stops being our most powerful driver.

Lightbringer is really mediocre in the beginning, occasionally very bad and occasionally very good. It gets better as it goes, but you always need to read it with an uncritical eye or you're not gonna have a good time.

Re: another post, I kind of like Kip. As someone with a gigantic, incredibly kind and gentle, brilliant little brother that's diagnosed spectrum, he rings true.

Anyway, I have high hopes that book 5 will be what book 5 in The Dark Tower should have been--a return to form with an extremely stepped-up game that makes everything better in retrospect by building off the really great and needed characterization in the fourth, and the end of the series.

e: gah! I had a point that wasn't quite a derail. If you like or got through Sanderson's early stuff, there's a very good chance you'll like or get through Lightbringer.

wellwhoopdedooo fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 15, 2017

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Hell, :toxx:, name one single googlable person and I will link some incredibly weird and childish poo poo they've done in the last 10 years or 10 years of their life. Supid poo poo never stops being our most powerful driver.

Wayne Gretzky
Father Nelson Baker

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Man, either you're young enough to idealize being "an adult", or you have a life, friends, and family I'd be insanely envious of if I actually believed people acted any different from 25 to death. Not to get political, but for gently caress's sake, look at our president and ... anyone. Hell, :toxx:, name one single googlable person and I will link some incredibly weird and childish poo poo they've done in the last 10 years or 10 years of their life. Supid poo poo never stops being our most powerful driver.

The point is not that people should never act childish. It's that Weeks' default POV is that of an angry teenager, and it seeps into everything. The plot, the twists, and the characters. Everything.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Oathbringer cut to 450,000 words: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/6hfek7/oathbringer_spoilers_stormlight_three_update_8/

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Brandon Sanderson, the writer, about writing the Sanderson brand.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Argas posted:

Used to read Sanderson, not really sure why I stopped. At the time I didn't have a Kindle and his books were getting huge so that might be a factor.

Lately I've been enjoying the Cradle series by Will Wight. First book is Unsouled. He builds a magic system in a similar vein as Sanderson, laying lots of hints and foreshadowing here and there, but I don't feel like it ever forms the cornerstone of the story or plot.

I like Cradle too, and I've discussed it a bit in ADTRW's webnovels thread. Cradle is an actually decent series in a generally terrible subgenre.

He also wrote the Traveler's Gate books, which I'm more ambivalent towards; they feel kind of...YAish, and there's some intangible elements to the characterization that don't quite work. Also, while some may think it odd to criticize an F/SF series for not having enough exposition, there really isn't enough exposition, particularly in situations where you'd expect the characters to be demanding and giving clear explanations for things. (This does get lampshaded a bit later on.) Wight has admitted that House of Blades in particular suffered from his desire to keep the plot moving, at the cost of both exposition and character development. On the other hand, there's some really neat setting elements; the short stories do a good job of fleshing out the Territories that only appear in passing in the main novels. Also some cool fights.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 16, 2017

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Silver2195 posted:

I like Cradle too, and I've discussed it a bit in ADTRW's webnovels thread. Cradle is an actually decent series in a generally terrible subgenre.

He also wrote the Traveler's Gate books, which I'm more ambivalent towards; they feel kind of...YAish, and there's some intangible elements to the characterization that don't quite work. Also, while some may think it odd to criticize an F/SF series for not having enough exposition, there really isn't enough exposition, particularly in situations where you'd expect the characters to be demanding and giving clear explanations for things. (This does get lampshaded a bit later on.) Wight has admitted that House of Blades in particular suffered from his desire to keep the plot moving, at the cost of both exposition and character development. On the other hand, there's some really neat setting elements; the short stories do a good job of fleshing out the Territories that only appear in passing in the main novels. Also some cool fights.

Yeah, that's more or less my feelings on Traveler's Gate. It's similar to Mistborn in the initial non-standard premise and that did draw me in initially but it ran into issues.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Phummus posted:

Wayne Gretzky
Father Nelson Baker

Source: wikipedia, and only wikipedia

Gretzky: Throws fits about randoms not respecting his very important sports prowess and is a staunch conservative.
Baker: He was a priest, and was into miracles. Come on. That is some baby-rear end playing make-believe poo poo.

For Gretzky, the closest I could come by skimming wikipedia is 11 years ago, but come on, he didn't suddenly grow up and become more mature than LITERALLY EVERY PERSON ON EARTH betweek 11 and 10 years ago.

Point is, we're all dumb babies, myself included for making a toxx post to bolster a stupid case about a dumb argument on the internet--also most things I've ever done. And to address the other post, the angry teenager thing is you projecting.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Fred McFeely Rogers

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Tunicate posted:

Fred McFeely Rogers

fuuuuuuuuck.

Will report back in 24h but I do not have a good feeling about this.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I would echo recommending the power mage trilogy, that is a similar sort of world building and magic system that I would expect from Sanderson.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

fuuuuuuuuck.

Will report back in 24h but I do not have a good feeling about this.

Does this count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlow12sSdmc&t=20s

And here is fox news scraping the bottom of the barrel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29lmR_357rA

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Cradle is great if you want Sanderson crossed with DBZ/Naruto.

Paper Magician trilogy is also quite good, and it's got a female author & protagonist if that's important to you.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 17, 2017

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
I was going to say we should put all these alternative author suggestions in the OP since it comes up a lot. Then I looked at the OP and it's pretty old and out of date :v:

Maybe time for a new thread?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

HelixFox posted:

I was going to say we should put all these alternative author suggestions in the OP since it comes up a lot. Then I looked at the OP and it's pretty old and out of date :v:

Maybe time for a new thread?

Ehh... I'd say given that most fantasy-specific authorial threads in particular are dead or very slow (Scott Lynchs long gone, Abercrombie's is pretty dead, BraSan thread is the most lively but p slow until a book comes out, and Rothfuss is well lmao lets not talk about him and let's leave that poo poo festering in the corner for laughs) there is probably room for a more "General Trash Genre Fantasy" thread (or however you want to define it, idk)

I enjoy the Sci/F thread sometimes but it's really it's own beast and I know I personally don't care about 99% of scifi and often starts devolving into weird scifi or other high work slapfights, and I feel most posters there also dislike/look down on Sanderson and similar fantasy writing for the most part (which I get on a level, y'know, it's nothing revolutionary or some deep work but it's entertaining and fun to read)

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Jorenko posted:

Second Jorenko's post, Definitely catch up on the Wax Wayne books and then read Secret History. It'll really link how things work out and make you think about how it all further ties into the Cosmere

Had a work trip in May that I picked up a few signed copies in the SLC airport and gave out as gifts to some friends to get them into Sanderson. I head on another trip tomorrow, hoping theres some hardback Stormlight Archive copies signed this time around for my own collection

Just an FYI if you pass through the SLC airport, the bookstore in Delta's part of the airport has a ton of signed books at no extra charge. Brandon will sign them when he goes through the airport on tour/other trips. It's a really neat thing he does for his local fans and the die hard fans that get stuck in SLC. They do put stickers on the front cover noting "Author Signed" but since he passes through so much they dedicated a large chunk of a book shelf towards the side/back for all his books

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
This thread having some talk about non-Sanderson books is really great because for the most part people here enjoy Sanderson, so it's likely you'll get recommendations that are similar. The Scifi thread is too generic for that since there's just so much trash out there.

I don't see it as a problem since this year we'll only get Oathbringer so the thread is slow.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tahirovic posted:

This thread having some talk about non-Sanderson books is really great because for the most part people here enjoy Sanderson, so it's likely you'll get recommendations that are similar. The Scifi thread is too generic for that since there's just so much trash out there.

I don't see it as a problem since this year we'll only get Oathbringer so the thread is slow.

As the person who kicked off this round of recommendations I want to thank the thread, I forgot I wanted to read Powder Mage. I am adding Zelazny and Lies of Locke Lamora to my list as well.

We could probably do without the argument about who is an adult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
For those who are curious, there are several transcripts of Oathbringer readings available at the 17thshard forums, including the Oathbringer prologue.