Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Crabtree posted:

Well I found Uncle Grandpa showing up in Boomerang so I guess it is well and truly dead now, no idea if they even broadcast the last of the episodes now and it gets a Beware the Batman treatment.

They've been airing it after the new episodes of Clarence, though I'm not sure if they're new episodes or not because these air before I get home from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
they ended up pulling the premiers (after a single week of them) and just dumped the rest on the website/app

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeesh. There's a lot riding on OK KO's shoulder. Network's bleeding their shows dry and needs a new hit.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Magic Mighty Swords apparently couldn't cut it as an eleven minute show so they air the shorts in between shows on Saturdays.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

the shorts predate the show

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

have you ever had a post that just wouldn't show up (until another post is made) even though your bookmarks say otherwise

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

have you ever had a post that just wouldn't show up (until another post is made) even though your bookmarks say otherwise

Yes. Happens occasionally with my posts and with other people's posts. The post shows up after a new post is posted.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BioEnchanted posted:

It took me way too long to realise that the Joke behind Scrooge McDuck's vault was that they were his Liquid Assets, ie cash. That's why it's a swimming pool - it's a financial visual pun.

Also that his entire character is based on the old stereotype that Scottish people are cheap, which is so old and nonsensical that it's hard to believe that was ever really a thing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The first six episodes of OK KO are out on CN's app, website, and VOD.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Full intro for Star vs. season 3 just dropped. Officially.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
if this means more episodes with hair girl, im all for it

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Disappointing lack of Jackie in there imo

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

The first six episodes of OK KO are out on CN's app, website, and VOD.

Im at work so I can't watch these yet. Any good?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

readingatwork posted:

yep

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Well, that's good enough for me. New Star Thread is live

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

readingatwork posted:

I thought it was pretty cute. I like the animation and the world it sets up. In terms of character development and hints of backstory, it reminds me a lot of the early episodes of Steven Universe, though perhaps not quite as funny.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Finally got around to watching OKKO and I can confirm that it is, in fact, good.

Honestly I'm surprised I like it as much as I do. Like Adventure Time it's the kind of show that in any other hands would be irredeemably obnoxious but instead somehow manages to be likeable and charming instead. It's actually pretty impressive.

Pakled posted:

I thought it was pretty cute. I like the animation and the world it sets up. In terms of character development and hints of backstory, it reminds me a lot of the early episodes of Steven Universe, though perhaps not quite as funny.

OKKO has an actual episode 1 that properly explains who everyone is and how they're related to each other so I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit more than I did early Steven Universe.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

That new intro's kinda meh. The one for the first season was much more dynamic and flowed much better with the music.

The music in the intro, by the way, is actually pretty decent.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It makes total sense, though?

1) You establish your protagonists.

2) You establish your antagonists.

3) You send your protaganists away.

4) You set your protagonists against your antagonists upon their return.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Inkspot posted:

It makes total sense, though?

1) You establish your protagonists.

2) You establish your antagonists.

3) You send your protaganists away.

4) You set your protagonists against your antagonists upon their return.

I'm assuming this was aimed at me.

The first bit of SU is fine but only makes sense if you know the basic setup of the show going into it (which I didn't at the time). For example the first episode doesn't explain who Steven is in relation to the Crystal Gems (is he related to them or just some kid?), what exactly it is that they're fighting, why, or what's at risk if they loose. All of which we need to know before we can care about the outcome of any given episode. Yes, the show does explain these things eventually but it takes about half a season to do so and that's kind of ridiculous.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Mr Interweb posted:

That new intro's kinda meh. The one for the first season was much more dynamic and flowed much better with the music.

The music in the intro, by the way, is actually pretty decent.

This is the boat I'm in. It's not a bad intro, but it lacks a bit of the frenetic pacing and animation that made the original really stand out.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

readingatwork posted:

I'm assuming this was aimed at me.

Nope. Never seen anything of Steven Universe besides the pilot, which was okay but not enough to get me to watch the rest of the show.

Star Vs. introduces the main plot (and theme of education), the main characters, a bunch of side characters, and the world in general in the first season. Ludo and Buff Frog and some of the history and motivations behind the "Forces of Evil" (and minor characters) gets elucidated on in season two, eventually involves Star and Marco, and comes to a head in the finale. In the tradition of Gargoyles and however many other shows, the "second half" of the "second season" is about sending the heroes on a road trip so the character moments get deeper while expanding your cast of characters for the big finish. Which is where we're at. Which is why the intro is different.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Inkspot posted:

Nope. Never seen anything of Steven Universe besides the pilot, which was okay but not enough to get me to watch the rest of the show.

Star Vs. introduces the main plot (and theme of education), the main characters, a bunch of side characters, and the world in general in the first season. Ludo and Buff Frog and some of the history and motivations behind the "Forces of Evil" (and minor characters) gets elucidated on in season two, eventually involves Star and Marco, and comes to a head in the finale. In the tradition of Gargoyles and however many other shows, the "second half" of the "second season" is about sending the heroes on a road trip so the character moments get deeper while expanding your cast of characters for the big finish. Which is where we're at. Which is why the intro is different.

Ah, I see what you're saying. I think you may have misunderstood the complaint-it's not a bad thing that they changed the intro, or even that the new intro is bad, but the boarding (Is that the right term?) lacks a bit of the punch the original had, in terms of depicting action and matching up to the musical cues.

For reference, here's the old intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hJ5ecrpp8k

And here's the new intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTYLq7WASC4

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ducktales coming 8/12. Show intro at the end of this livestream:

https://www.facebook.com/ducktales/videos/1022298801240126

The intro is good.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EURi91Eb6I8

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 14, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Mrs. Beakley's been working out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This is going to fun.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

The intro is good.

e:

I don't think I'm quite ready to deal with a world where Ms. Beakly looks like she could benchpress a planet.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

The main reason why the new intro doesn't have the same kick is due to a change in animation studios: the original was Mercury Filmworks while the new one is almost certainly from one of the post-season 1 studios (Rough Draft Korea or Sugarcube)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

kidcoelacanth posted:

The intro is good.

e:

wow, that's not bad at all. Both the animation and the music. Pleasantly surprised. Thank god they didn't go with some weird rear end alternative rock + autotune poo poo.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

The main reason why the new intro doesn't have the same kick is due to a change in animation studios: the original was Mercury Filmworks while the new one is almost certainly from one of the post-season 1 studios (Rough Draft Korea or Sugarcube)

Decided to reply in the Star thread because I figured that's why we have it :v:

Also that new Ducktales intro is pretty good. There's definitely a big emphasis on the comic book origins of the show, which I like-it feels like they've really gone back to the source material and are working to make a modern adaptation of that, as opposed to merely trying to copy the first show and making an adaptation of an adaptation (Which never ends well)

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 14, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

readingatwork posted:

The first bit of SU is fine but only makes sense if you know the basic setup of the show going into it (which I didn't at the time). For example the first episode doesn't explain who Steven is in relation to the Crystal Gems (is he related to them or just some kid?), what exactly it is that they're fighting, why, or what's at risk if they loose. All of which we need to know before we can care about the outcome of any given episode.
I dunno, the first episode has a theme song that introduces the core cast, explains that there are three Crystal Gems (and Steven!) who protect the world in some way and go on adventures. The first episode shows us that Steven is still a kid but has Gempowers he can't control and the three ladies are like his guardians.

Everything else we clue into later because it reinforces the point that Steven is kind of in the dark about a lot, and the story doesn't start with him (more like it's set in motion thanks to Rose Quartz).

Adventure Time didn't start out by explaining everything about Ooo or the Lich King or the Mushroom Wars. They just toss you in and expect you not to need a expo dump of notecards because there are multiple ways of telling a story.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Ah, I see what you're saying. I think you may have misunderstood the complaint-it's not a bad thing that they changed the intro, or even that the new intro is bad, but the boarding (Is that the right term?) lacks a bit of the punch the original had, in terms of depicting action and matching up to the musical cues.

For reference, here's the old intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hJ5ecrpp8k

And here's the new intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTYLq7WASC4

Just saw this and yeah woof. The actions not syncing up great with the music is really disappointing as is the animation in general. It's all very stiff. That shot at the end where she shoots her wand at Ludo that's supposed to mimic the first intro is SO FLAT when you've seen the first intro doing that for so long.

I don't know why they didn't just do a shot for shot remake of the original but taking place in other dimensions instead of earth.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Just saw this and yeah woof. The actions not syncing up great with the music is really disappointing as is the animation in general. It's all very stiff. That shot at the end where she shoots her wand at Ludo that's supposed to mimic the first intro is SO FLAT when you've seen the first intro doing that for so long.

I don't know why they didn't just do a shot for shot remake of the original but taking place in other dimensions instead of earth.

Probably because the other studio has all of the art assets that would make that task a whole lot easier and also have the exact same timings

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Since the Ratchet and Clank movie bombed horribly (the video game tie in is better) the Sly Cooper movie got the ax and instead is becoming a TV Show;
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/15/sly-cooper-animated-tv-series-in-the-works
I want it to be good because I have a lot of nostalgia for the games, but I'm not holding my breath; hopefully they get the VAs from the game as well.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

I dunno, the first episode has a theme song that introduces the core cast, explains that there are three Crystal Gems (and Steven!) who protect the world in some way and go on adventures. The first episode shows us that Steven is still a kid but has Gempowers he can't control and the three ladies are like his guardians.

Everything else we clue into later because it reinforces the point that Steven is kind of in the dark about a lot, and the story doesn't start with him (more like it's set in motion thanks to Rose Quartz).

Adventure Time didn't start out by explaining everything about Ooo or the Lich King or the Mushroom Wars. They just toss you in and expect you not to need a expo dump of notecards because there are multiple ways of telling a story.

At it's heart AT is just a slice of life show about a boy and his brother/dog that happens to take place in a deeply weird place. To make it work all you really need to understand is Finn and Jake, who they are to each other, and that they love adventuring for it's own sake. All of which is very easy to explain without any exposition in mere seconds at the beginning of any episode. It's an incredibly simple and efficient show in this sense. Plus, it's much more humor-centric so you don't really need all the details to enjoy it anyways.

SU on the other hand is a bit more complicated than "a boy and his dog go and play, hijinks ensue" so it requires more information to be given to the audience early on. This doesn't mean we need to know literally everything right out of the gate but we should at least be on the same page as our POV character (Steven) after the first episode or so. This means that we should know things like what the gem monsters are (or at least what Steven's been told they are), the extraterrestrial in origin of the Crystal Gems, Steven's day to day living arrangements, how Steven got his gem, how the gem powers work, and what the townsfolk think of all of this pretty early on. Yet for some unfathomable reason the show instead teases out these very basic facts that every character knows for like twenty episodes. In fact I distinctly remember walking away from the first episode with the assumption that Steven was just some kid from town who got fused with a gem by accident and now spent his after-school time learning how to control it while fighting monsters sent by some later to be introduced villain. I was way off obviously but it was an understandable mistake because a ton of shows follow that formula and the show itself didn't provide any information claiming otherwise.

Again, it's not a huge flaw since the episodes work fine if you just explain this stuff to a new viewer, but you shouldn't have to do that for a show to work and that bugs the poo poo out of me.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Star 3 intro is good but aside from the animation being off with the music, which I'll hazard a guess is just some early release kinks that will be ironed out for the final release, there's way too much focus on one-note side characters like the hair girl, Tom, Mina Mewberry and the Goblin Dogs thing, instead of cool new locations or people that we might possible see, or failing that just more interesting characters like the Magic High Commission or Glossaryck.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It's just a little off-sync, I feel. I used an audio-sync tool and adjusted the audio +0.3 seconds and it's a lot better.

Also the ending shot implies that Tom and Kelly are going to be more important this season. :shrug: (the lack of Jackie is disappointing though.)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

readingatwork posted:

SU on the other hand is a bit more complicated than "a boy and his dog go and play, hijinks ensue" so it requires more information to be given to the audience early on. This doesn't mean we need to know literally everything right out of the gate but we should at least be on the same page as our POV character (Steven) after the first episode or so. This means that we should know things like what the gem monsters are (or at least what Steven's been told they are), the extraterrestrial in origin of the Crystal Gems, Steven's day to day living arrangements, how Steven got his gem, how the gem powers work, and what the townsfolk think of all of this pretty early on. Yet for some unfathomable reason the show instead teases out these very basic facts that every character knows for like twenty episodes. In fact I distinctly remember walking away from the first episode with the assumption that Steven was just some kid from town who got fused with a gem by accident and now spent his after-school time learning how to control it while fighting monsters sent by some later to be introduced villain. I was way off obviously but it was an understandable mistake because a ton of shows follow that formula and the show itself didn't provide any information claiming otherwise.

To be fair we found out where steven got his gem in the 2nd episode (inherited from his mom): plus given that steven himself didn't really know what gem monsters were nor the gem's extraterrestrial origins until the midseason finale, we were basically on the same page as him after the 2nd ep.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Shitenshi posted:

Star 3 intro is good but aside from the animation being off with the music, which I'll hazard a guess is just some early release kinks that will be ironed out for the final release, there's way too much focus on one-note side characters like the hair girl, Tom, Mina Mewberry and the Goblin Dogs thing, instead of cool new locations or people that we might possible see, or failing that just more interesting characters like the Magic High Commission or Glossaryck.

hair girl's the protagonist now, actually. shes going to date star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

To be fair we found out where steven got his gem in the 2nd episode (inherited from his mom): plus given that steven himself didn't really know what gem monsters were nor the gem's extraterrestrial origins until the midseason finale, we were basically on the same page as him after the 2nd ep.

Laser Light Cannon in general works a lot better as an introduction to the series..

Venuz Patrol posted:

hair girl's the protagonist now, actually. shes going to date star

checks out

Edit:

Shitenshi posted:

Glossaryck actually shows up twice in the intro: Once in the castle at the beginning, and once alongside Ludo, befitting the eternal question of "So what exactly is that guy's deal"

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 15, 2017