Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Tallgeese posted:

I thought the dark stuff was meant to be blood but they kind of made it too dark?

It's called blood in the option to turn it off which everyone should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It's called blood in the option to turn it off which everyone should

Oh, does it turn off the ash getting on your guy? I might have to toggle that then. I do wish there was a way to keep the actual blood and get rid of the ash, though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
slave knight gael is pretty hard eh

got him down to about 2% first time i made it to phase 2. Hit and dodged but saw the hit stagger him and tried to finish him off and got killed ffs

Jose fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 13, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I started ds1 again to see if I think of it any differently these days.

Everything in 3 has so much more health. I can more or less face half the bosses in 1&2 as long as I get my ten hits in. Which is useful because I don't think you can actually dodge through the electric butt stomp

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I started ds1 again to see if I think of it any differently these days.

Everything in 3 has so much more health. I can more or less face half the bosses in 1&2 as long as I get my ten hits in. Which is useful because I don't think you can actually dodge through the electric butt stomp

You totally can avoid it by dodging away three times if you're not fatrolling, but if you start too late it will probably catch you.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I still want to know how you're supposed to deal with Manus' lovely juggle combo when there's not nearly enough warning to get out of its gigantic area of effect in time.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sapozhnik posted:

I still want to know how you're supposed to deal with Manus' lovely juggle combo when there's not nearly enough warning to get out of its gigantic area of effect in time.

Greatshield of Artorias

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

skasion posted:

Greatshield of Artorias

Completely changed the game, Christ

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

skasion posted:

Greatshield of Artorias

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Completely changed the game, Christ

It is the one true savior of "My First Darksouls".

And Man Serpent Greatsword :swoon:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Anyone on PS4 have a Pontiff Knight Greatscythe they'd like to donate to a good cause? :shobon:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Sapozhnik posted:

I have never had a problem getting out of the way of this. It's the only combo he roars in front of. Start rolling backwards. After 3 rolls, back away until the very last hit at which point he jumps towards you with an overhand smash. Dodge basically any direction BUT backwards.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Bogart posted:

Anyone on PS4 have a Pontiff Knight Greatscythe they'd like to donate to a good cause? :shobon:

I think I have one but won't be able to check until after work. If you don't find one by then add me mandggaming

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Bogart posted:

hanales posted:

I think I have one but won't be able to check until after work. If you don't find one by then add me mandggaming

I will check when I get home as well. Add me: Monkrocker

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Much like Manus is the primeval human, that attack combo is the primeval attack that would lead to Sulyvahn's chain-hit that is so fast you can't roll through the whole string.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I had to abandon sorcery so I could have 15 estus flasks + estus ring and i also used a divine blessing but i beat slave knight gael

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

CJacobs posted:

Much like Manus is the primeval human, that attack combo is the primeval attack that would lead to Sulyvahn's chain-hit that is so fast you can't roll through the whole string.

Sulyvahn doesn't have any unbreakable death combos. He does some ridiculously long strings of attacks that afford no time to escape and heal though. It's very similar to Fume Knight except Fume Knight is still better.

Soul of Cinder phase 2 has basically the exact same juggle combo so I'm guessing that's supposed to be a callback to the Manus fight.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 14, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pretend I posted that video the analyzes Sulyvahn's combos and finds that there's at least one where the second attack starts before the player's roll is over, meaning if they roll out of the way of the first one they will get hit by the second. I do not remember the title of the video.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wLHbKPRgUM&t=1821s

30:21 is where I think it's mentioned

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 14, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Jose posted:

I had to abandon sorcery so I could have 15 estus flasks + estus ring and i also used a divine blessing but i beat slave knight gael

Hell yeah

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he absorbs a ridiculous amount of damage i was only doing like 215 damage each attack with the MLGS and 60 int

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah him and midir are endurance matches that are about patience and not making mistakes.
Fume knight is the same principle in his oppressive aggression, but all the animations in the earlier games feel clunky to me so that razor's edge fight isn't fun I'm my minority opinion. Gwyn and Artorious are also both really aggressive like that. The latter is an obvious comparison with our few heal chances being when dark corruption bursts from him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

midir just got hit repeatedly by pestilent mercury when i beat him. i had to summon to beat the demons because i was just never getting anywhere

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I found Gael really easy when I figured out that you can almost always stagger him in three hits with a claymore. This let me chain stagger him a lot, or save the third hit for healing, stamina refill, or canceling him out of the combo where he jumps all over the place.

Midir is pretty simple when you realize that he doesn't have any phase changes, he uses the exact same moves from start to finish. You can get him into a pretty consistent loop by running to his tail when he rears up and then dodging the tail swipe.

Note that when I say "easy" and "simple" I mean that I died at least 20 times on each before I actually beat them.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Gael seems set up to make you use all 15 estus and beat him barely. So many of his combos are hard to dodge completely or have roll-catch mechanics that require very precise timing, and he has decent ways of punishing your chugs from a distance by mixing up follow-ups or chaining combos except after very specific attacks. Most of his combos or attacks will not 100-0 you either, but instead do enough damage if they land that you will need to chug twice if you get caught.

This, combined with his machine gun and the off-chance you get hit by lightning or flying souls means you're constantly getting tagged or whittled down, and his long life bar means it's basically a war of attrition. The fact that he's so aggressive, the fight is so bombastic and the music is so epic also means you mostly cannot chill and relax, so you tend to make mistakes often. Most of the videos I've seen of people fighting him end exactly the same way: with an ember spent, divine blessing spent, 0 Estus and a sliver of health left. It's a fantastic fight.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I found Midir pretty easy by just pretending I was fighting Sinh again. Fighting him on the bridge sucks though.

I beat the demon prince on my low level alt with one hit left before I died thanks to a chug of Siegbrau. I was very proud of it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Does trying to get the covenant rings and spells still suck as much as it did when the game first came out? Am I going to have to grind silver knights, or is there a chance that going to NG+ would increase my summoning chances?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Midir gains the affinity attack and the laser clown fiesta though

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Midir gains the affinity attack and the laser clown fiesta though

Laser Disco one-shotting me when it had taken me a few hours to get him down to about 10% was rude af.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The first character I fought him with would just run to the left and dodge everything. But it would own me all the time on others. I think I was getting too aggressive, you need to be pretty far back for that one.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

CJacobs posted:

Pretend I posted that video the analyzes Sulyvahn's combos and finds that there's at least one where the second attack starts before the player's roll is over, meaning if they roll out of the way of the first one they will get hit by the second. I do not remember the title of the video.

edit:

the dude rolls into both of those attacks but had he rolled in a different direction it would have been fine i think

Fister Roboto posted:

Does trying to get the covenant rings and spells still suck as much as it did when the game first came out? Am I going to have to grind silver knights, or is there a chance that going to NG+ would increase my summoning chances?

i just finished getting all my ears without grinding knights and it took forever. i basically sat in the dlc areas with the most people and did something on my computer for like two weeks. it's dumb and bad and i hate fromsoft for it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

CJacobs posted:

edit:

There are many, many attacks in DS3 where you will absolutely eat poo poo if you so much as roll through them in the wrong direction, never mind rolling through them at the wrong time. Dancer's grab is the most obvious one but there are many others.

It's not an aspect of the game I particularly enjoy. If there are a very small number of such attacks in the game that are very obvious (e.g. Fume Knight's slow sweep attacks that very obviously travel at the speed you roll at) that would be fine, if a boss' entire loving repertoire consists of those attacks and they all inflict knockdown for good measure (Orphan of Kos gently caress YOU) then that can just go eat a dick.

e: in fact pretty much every vaguely horizontally sweeping attack in DS3 works that way. You can get very sloppy indeed with the timing on all of them, as long as you roll in the right direction the game ticks the "[x] This attack has been dodged" checkbox and turns off the attack's hitbox. Trying to actually travel through an active hitbox by precisely lining up your iframes is much more challenging.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You want a roll in any direction to always bail you out? Are you sure about that?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

It's usually safer to dodge back in 3 especially, but dodging with an attack and eating it has been a thing all series.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Rolling directly into a sword instead of away from it like you logically should and then it not hitting you looks really stupid, but there isn't really a good way to fix that from a gameplay point of view.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CJacobs posted:

Rolling directly into a sword instead of away from it like you logically should and then it not hitting you looks really stupid, but there isn't really a good way to fix that from a gameplay point of view.

Coming off of Dark Souls, Witcher 3's combat isn't great (or good really) but realizing that the roll wasn't going to save me if I roll into the swipe was the hardest part to get used to.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I had a funny progression with these kinds of games. First I played Monster Hunter FU only using Lance/Gunlance, then I played Demon's and Dark Souls with a Greatshield and Meat Cleaver/Artorias Greatsword respectively. After that playthrough in Dark Souls I did a fastroll+DWGR guy with a Falchion and found that a lot more fun than blocking, so after that I went with fastroll+Zwei/MSGS/BKGA.

I tried playing Monster Hunter after that and went directly for Switchaxe in MH3U with Evade+2 and fell completely in love. I learned there to dodge constantly into enemies' swings, so it feels pretty natural to me, even though it shouldn't make much sense. Hitboxes in Monster Hunter discourage rolling with your standard roll through attacks, since they're so big, you generally want to roll away before they happen. However, upping your iframes makes it a lot safer to just roll through attacks in the direction they came from, and that translates pretty well to Dark Souls. I didn't even realize about the ADP stat my first playthrough of DS2, and while the game felt pretty poo poo for it, I still got through it thanks to that habit.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Eh I think it looks like you roll under the attack most of the time.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

RBA Starblade posted:

Coming off of Dark Souls, Witcher 3's combat isn't great (or good really) but realizing that the roll wasn't going to save me if I roll into the swipe was the hardest part to get used to.
W3 roll is pointless. The dodge is completely broken though, which renders the game trivial.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm currently going through NG+ on my way to attempt getting all the rings. I've had the Darkmoon covenant sign equipped while I plod along, and I've been getting summoned fairly regularly. I don't hang out in any particular area, because I've gotten yanked to other areas to help out dudes getting invaded. I'm up to about 20 ears so far without having to grind.

Wolfgrass is another matter. I'm waaaaaay over leveled for that covenant, so I'll be farming for that Wolf ring for sure.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

i find it weird how much people love witcher 3 becuase i tried 2 and the combat was so bad i didn't bother continuing to play and it apparently didn't improve at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

The Zombie Guy posted:

I'm currently going through NG+ on my way to attempt getting all the rings. I've had the Darkmoon covenant sign equipped while I plod along, and I've been getting summoned fairly regularly. I don't hang out in any particular area, because I've gotten yanked to other areas to help out dudes getting invaded. I'm up to about 20 ears so far without having to grind.

Wolfgrass is another matter. I'm waaaaaay over leveled for that covenant, so I'll be farming for that Wolf ring for sure.
I made a new character to get the platinum trophy and spent a few hours getting all 30 swordgrass at level 25 with +2 upgrade. I had maybe 3 of them drop the rest were from covenant summons.