Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sunning posted:

This isn't unusual for Konami. They have a history of marginalizing employees who upset them. For example, Yoshitaka Murayama, the creator of Suikoden, was not listed in the credits for the third game since company policy dictated that anyone who leaves the company prior to shipping a game has their name stricken from the credits. Koji Igarashi was doing menial tasks and handling the localization of games like Scribblenauts prior to leaving the company.

Their building had to be full of those "Isolation Rooms" they stuff people into until they quit without benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

bloodychill posted:

Their building had to be full of those "Isolation Rooms" they stuff people into until they quit without benefits.

They get sent to the Konami Health Clubs to clean toilets.

I wish I were joking

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Sakurazuka posted:

No one ever says no in Japan, just very specific ways of saying yes that means no.

I'm just thinking about all the times in the past half decade or so people have been asking Nintendo developers (not just their PR people but the actual game devs) about remakes and things and they could usually be coy, but a lot of the time would say no, not right now, or "Please tell the audience I laughed at the question." Which wasn't meant to be a rude laugh so much as it was a wry laugh I guess? IIRC it was from Aonuma when an interviewer asked him in 2014 if they would ever see a remake of Majora. Of course by that time Grezzo had already been working on the 3DS Majora for a while, so he knew.

Just like he knew (probably?) knew about the 2D Metroid in development when they sprung that question on him a few months ago.

Even though he's got nothing to do with Metroid really so it was a weird thing to ask him in the first place.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

this is the future liberals want

https://twitter.com/faeriefountain/status/874679598411272192

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

It's more beautiful than I ever imagined :qq:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Those amibos are gonna go on a wedding cake the second they get released.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Bowser my love

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

dude owns

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I'm just thinking about all the times in the past half decade or so people have been asking Nintendo developers (not just their PR people but the actual game devs) about remakes and things and they could usually be coy, but a lot of the time would say no, not right now, or "Please tell the audience I laughed at the question." Which wasn't meant to be a rude laugh so much as it was a wry laugh I guess? IIRC it was from Aonuma when an interviewer asked him in 2014 if they would ever see a remake of Majora. Of course by that time Grezzo had already been working on the 3DS Majora for a while, so he knew.

Just like he knew (probably?) knew about the 2D Metroid in development when they sprung that question on him a few months ago.

Even though he's got nothing to do with Metroid really so it was a weird thing to ask him in the first place.

remember when people asked if botw's (more) androgynous (than usual) link was a woman and he was kinda coy and then it turns out the payoff was crossdressing

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Shameful. Those don't even have superior squishable amiibo technology.
http://i.imgur.com/NQPKPlt.gifv

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I do, gay Bowser.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Kunio being a knight makes absolutely no sense. But I don't think Natsume cares anymore.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

LawfulWaffle posted:

Someone recommend me an iPhone game. I've played a lot of crap so I'm looking for gems. I don't mind paying for a good game.

Ridiculous Fishing, Hitman GO.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

LawfulWaffle posted:

Someone recommend me an iPhone game. I've played a lot of crap so I'm looking for gems. I don't mind paying for a good game.

Pathpix, Slayaway Camp, Punch Quest, 80 Days, Monument Valley, King of Dragon Pass.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

a kitten posted:

I do, gay Bowser.

lol

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like that whoever is putting out Garfield Go gives so little of a poo poo that they couldn't even be bothered to change to "Go" to something that better reflects Garfield's "hilarious" laziness.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Garfield Stay

edit: Garfield Doesn't Go

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

BexGu posted:

Those amibos are gonna go on a wedding cake up someone's butt the second they get released.

:getin:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Garfield, NO

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

cakefarts says, why not both?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

glam rock hamhock posted:

I like that whoever is putting out Garfield Go gives so little of a poo poo that they couldn't even be bothered to change to "Go" to something that better reflects Garfield's "hilarious" laziness.

Presumably they're putting it out to make money? Changing it so it doesn't as clearly associate with the Pokemon Go craze would be counter productive.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hitman GO, but with Garfield. You have to kill Jon to get the lasagna from the counter top, but Garfield is a sneaky bastard and so Jon must be stabbed in the back as he deserves.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
"Garfield: GO"
Garfield: "No"

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Take-Two* sure was timely about this:

quote:

We feared that this day would come... And now it's here.
The day, when GTA modding was declared illegal.

GTA modding had long and glorious history.
Since GTA III, people have created lots of different mods: from simple texture replacements to impressive full conversions.

And the modding always was a "gray zone" -- a battlefield between lawyers and PR...

For almost ten years of OpenIV development, we had tried to play as nice as possible and even more:

Strictly following of Civil Code of Russia (only reverse engineering for interoperability).
Only clean-room reverse engineering.
No distribution of original data and code.
And absolutely no messing with Online...

On June 5th, 2017, we had received an official Cease-and-Desist letter.
It clearly says, that with OpenIV we "allow third parties to defeat security features of its software and modify that software in violation Take-Two's rights".
Yes, this letter is illiterate both technically and grammatically (really, they don't even bothered with proof-reading the text).
Yes, we can go to court and yet again prove that modding is fair use and our actions are legal.
Yes, we could. But we decided not to.

Going to court will take at least few months of our time and huge amount of efforts, and, at best, we'll get absolutely nothing.
Spending time just to restore status quo is really unproductive, and all the money in the world can't compensate the loss of time.

So, we decided to agree with their claims and we're stopping distribution of OpenIV.

It was a hard decision, but when any modding activity has been declared illegal, we can't see any possibilities to continue this process,
unless top management of Take-Two company makes an official statement about modding, which can be used in court.

*Assuming this actually was an official letter from Take-Two.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Take-Two* sure was timely about this:

*Assuming this actually was an official letter from Take-Two.

Well that's hosed up. Time to safeguard my copy of OpenIV like it's a precious gemstone so that I can keep making Max Payne 3 mods.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

There's mods for Max Payne 3? I assume it's basic model swaps, God mode and the like.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Someone make a mod for Bully that's advertised to the gaming news sites as a fully fledged sequel so Take-Two is forced make Rockstar start work on Kevin's Back, Jack.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GUI posted:

There's mods for Max Payne 3? I assume it's basic model swaps, God mode and the like.

As for actual mods, yes, that's it. For me specifically though, I've been yanking the game apart so that I can poke at it for speedrunning purposes. Mostly so that I can help make a livesplit timer.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
I think it's wild that videogame leaks have become so commonplace that you can debate the ethics of acknowledging them

eagerly looking forward to wikileaks 500 page document detailing all the trailer times for next year's e3

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Kassoon posted:

I think it's wild that videogame leaks have become so commonplace that you can debate the ethics of acknowledging them

eagerly looking forward to wikileaks 500 page document detailing all the trailer times for next year's e3

Would releasing the new Mario leak benefit Russian hegemony???

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Time for this quick brown fox to jump into my lazy mouth.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe I'm missing something obvious (I definitely am) but why does this leak business matter?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jay Rust posted:

Maybe I'm missing something obvious (I definitely am) but why does this leak business matter?

The general idea behind the outcry is that companies lying about their hidden stuff when asked causes journalists to report on it as if their words are the truth- then the journalist turns out to be wrong because of said lie, and receives hate for it even though it's not really their fault.

The solution is to not report on unsubstantiated rumors, but don't tell the journalists that.

edit: vvv if they have to continue doing it though, reporting on rumors anonymously is a good idea yeah

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 14, 2017

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
This is why EGM created a group account alias for everyone to report rumors on.

Even back then things would get reported on that came from a source of truth, but the end result was usually something vastly different from what they first heard.

We did finally get a game featuring a grown-up Sherry Birkin after a bunch of years, but it wasn't an exclusive PSP action title, even though at one point it maybe, possibly could have been.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Wouldn't that be the perfect job? :allears:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This video owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzdylKgPjNI

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have never wanted to avoid clicking on an Extra Credits video harder than right now

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Where should I go for ethical games journalism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CJacobs posted:

I have never wanted to avoid clicking on an Extra Credits video harder than right now

You don't have to be a dick all the time you know. It's ok to take a break.

• Locked thread