Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Snowman_McK posted:

At the small cost of the legitimacy of the lightweight division and actual lightweight title fights.

Those two things are of immense benefit to Conor. I'm asking about the benefit to the sport. Because PPV buys outside of him and Ronda are down and the title picture in half the divisions is either hosed or dire.

He knows his actual value and tries to get paid that much. He's valuable to the sport as kind of an anti-union. The union will raise the minimum and average wages, Conor will try and set it up so the true superstars are rewarded for their ability to shift business.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I know approximately gently caress all about legit punchsports but Conor doesn't REALLY think he has a chance, does he? Does anyone think that?

With each passing year, Floyd becomes more beatable. Conor won't beat him, however.

Jerusalem posted:

Conor's chief strategy will be to make as much money as possible.

I mean, I suppose there's a chance Floyd might be struck by lightning 0.1 seconds into the first round and give Conor the TKO, but I don't think he's particularly concerned about winning the fight, just all the money it's would make him.

He's from Ireland, all about that green.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Is Conor ever going to defend his UFC titles

I believe he's trying to get paid what he's worth, and UFC wants to instead pay him a measly $4-6 million. Until they properly agree, unlikely to see defences. This stunt will make Conor loads of money and provide serious negotiating power to the UFC - he doesn't need them, they need him.

Looten Plunder posted:

Not only does he seem to have a massive speed disadvantage, he also appears to have no defence apart from a couple of smartass head bobs.

Eh, I wouldn't look at this too seriously. They're just playing with distance and angles more than trying to punch each other, even looks like Conor is allowing the slow punches towards him to see what it will look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Gay Horney posted:

I don't think anyone is convinced or at least I'm not. But this isn't the sure thing for Floyd that everyone is falling all over themselves to make it out to be. Floyd's last fight was 2015 I'm not sure what that other idiot was talking about. Two years is a hell of a long time to think you're retired and we've all seen what being 40 does to dudes.

Nothing in combat sports is a sure thing, but Floyd would be heavily favored over any boxer from 154 down so he should be really really heavily favored against a non-boxer who was recently fighting at 145 pounds.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
The only active boxers near welterweight I would even consider saying have a chance to beat Mayweather are Terence Crawford and Errol Spence Jr. who have dominant wins over top 5 fighters at 140 and 147 as well as being generational talents. Just lol at anyone entertaining the idea of a 0-0 MMA fighter even coming close. The press conferences and talking heads segments alone will be worth the price of a ringside seat at T-Mobile Arena in terms of trainwreck entertainment value though.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 14, 2017

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I can confidently say that COnor "Kid Notorious" McGregor is better than fictional background character from a period movie, Errol Spence Junior.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Looten Plunder posted:

Not only does he seem to have a massive speed disadvantage, he also appears to have no defence apart from a couple of smartass head bobs.

This is pretty consistent for conor. I remember wondering how Chad Mendes was going to close the gap, but it turned out that just jumping at Conor with a big punch was more than enough. Dude has a good chin and relies on it.

Wazzu posted:

He knows his actual value and tries to get paid that much. He's valuable to the sport as kind of an anti-union. The union will raise the minimum and average wages, Conor will try and set it up so the true superstars are rewarded for their ability to shift business.

How the gently caress is that valuable to the sport? Or even any kind of shift? The big stars have never had trouble getting paid. GSP, Ronda, Rampage, Chuck, Randy, Tito and Wanderlei all made an absolute fortune off the UFC.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

A reminder that traditionally, Godzilla is a couple hundred feet tall, while King Kong is 25. I guess it is a pretty apt metaphor.

The aforementioned movie consists of Godzilla repeatedly going 'who is this rear end in a top hat?' and easily kicking his rear end with nuclear breath until Kong is randomly struck by lightning and turned into a supermonster, which is probably also Conor's primary path to victory.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Every time I watch Vasyl Lomachencko spar with TJ Dillashaw I feel like I get a glimpse of what Mayweather/McGregor would look like. TJ hits him clean like one time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxbRy_PO0vU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Work Friend Keven posted:

I can confidently say that COnor "Kid Notorious" McGregor is better than fictional background character from a period movie, Errol Spence Junior.

lol

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Wazzu posted:

Eh, I wouldn't look at this too seriously. They're just playing with distance and angles more than trying to punch each other, even looks like Conor is allowing the slow punches towards him to see what it will look like.

One thing that stood out to me is that when he can't kick, Conor's footwork gets exposed.
Well, not exposed, but shown as not adapted for boxing. If he could throw kicks, all the constant stepping around and putting feet close together would give him some options instead of just making him hittable.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

JaySB posted:

Every time I watch Vasyl Lomachencko spar with TJ Dillashaw I feel like I get a glimpse of what Mayweather/McGregor would look like. TJ hits him clean like one time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxbRy_PO0vU

my god. vasyl is a savant but this is just obscene.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Lol TJ's weird stance really don't work in that environment. He just leads with his face and looks likes a chump

1st AD fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 14, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That video is sick.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What are the odds that the fight itself and the surrounding card wouldn't completely suck rear end?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RacistGuidingLight posted:

What are the odds that the fight itself and the surrounding card wouldn't completely suck rear end?

nonzero

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

1st AD posted:

Lol TJ's weird stance really don't work in that environment. He just leads with his face and looks likes a chump

Yes but that's an elite boxer schooling a top level MMA fighter

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i thought tj did pretty well considering that is lomachenko

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

JaySB posted:

Yes but that's an elite boxer schooling a top level MMA fighter

They should do James Toney v Randy again except with two real fighters.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
its funny because tj seems like he's going a bit harder than lomachenko and when he finally lands a good shot lomachenko starts turning it up and takin it to him

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
In a real fight though you know TJ would blast him with one of his famous completely innefectual headkicks that don't hurt so yea... enjoy playing in the kiddie pool boxers lol.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/875043193171173376

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I mean, sure they're going to approve the request. But is there a fight signed yet? No.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It's the right marketing play, right? This far out, they can fill the date with whatever they want if the McGregor fight doesn't materialize.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

It's not even that far out. I know Mayweather Promotions has been actively pushing their fighters too.

Just going off the nightmare that was May/Pac I think it's going to be really hard to make this fight happen on 10 weeks notice. The PPV rights alone took months with May/Pac and then there was the ticketing fiasco. Holy poo poo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

JaySB posted:

It's not even that far out. I know Mayweather Promotions has been actively pushing their fighters too.

Just going off the nightmare that was May/Pac I think it's going to be really hard to make this fight happen on 10 weeks notice. The PPV rights alone took months with May/Pac and then there was the ticketing fiasco. Holy poo poo.

I think all of that negotiation has been going on already. Once the fight is signed, the negotiations are done. They've been talking behind the scenes for a long time on this already.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

looking forward to Conor making an easy 2mil on 3 minutes of work.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kevin Iole is reporting that the fight is on

https://twitter.com/KevinI/status/875093658919247872

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rigel posted:

Kevin Iole is reporting that the fight is on

https://twitter.com/KevinI/status/875093658919247872

loving :lol:

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think all of that negotiation has been going on already. Once the fight is signed, the negotiations are done. They've been talking behind the scenes for a long time on this already.

Maybe, maybe not. The Mayweather/Pacquiao fight was signed but then each camp fought over tickets up until basically fight week.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

JaySB posted:

Maybe, maybe not. The Mayweather/Pacquiao fight was signed but then each camp fought over tickets up until basically fight week.

And there was so much money on the line, that they figured it out.

Same thing here, this fight obviously makes no loving sense whatsoever, but there is so much money on the table that they shrugged and went "ok, gently caress it, if the public is really going to pay us stupid money to put on this freakshow, then lets work it out"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

JaySB posted:

Well, look above. The fight is official. It's going down August 26th.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Well, look above. The fight is official. It's going down August 26th.

The fight is official because Kevin Iole says so?

I'll wait until Mayweather, Conor, or Dana announces it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

JaySB posted:

The fight is official because Kevin Iole says so?

I'll wait until Mayweather, Conor, or Dana announces it.

Yes. If Kevin Iole says something, then it is true. The man is arguably the single most credible and respected journalist for both Boxing and MMA in the world. Thats probably the reason why Mayweather's team decided to give him the scoop.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
They should do this fight like that Antonio Inoki vs. Ali match

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rigel posted:

Yes. If Kevin Iole says something, then it is true. The man is arguably the single most credible and respected journalist for both Boxing and MMA in the world. Thats probably the reason why Mayweather's team decided to give him the scoop.

Also Conor said a big announcement's coming this week. Wouldn't be shocked if his statement on the fight is tonight or Friday

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 14, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/875100483236503552

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/875101558584856578

Welp here goes nothing

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
crazy

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

lol

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Welp indeed. Guess I need to get all my money together again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

okay this was worth it

• Locked thread