Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Iole posted:

It is a stunning development given that Mayweather, the greatest boxer of his era, had said he was retired after compiling a 49-0 pro record from 1996 through 2015. But with a fight which could pay each man in excess of $100 million, he reconsidered.

uh welp :lol: at anyone who thinks Conor's ever setting foot in the UFC again if he's legit making $100 mil off this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The PPV will be Showtime PPV, and the main card will be all boxing.

Early line in Vegas

Mayweather -1000
McGregor +650

The odds should probably be longer than that, but they want gamblers to look at it and think its possible.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Is that for real? Both guys are getting $100 million? :stare:

No wonder Conor wanted this fight so badly.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I'm happy Conor McGregor is going to make more money in 1 night than all the UFC champions ever made in their entire careers combined. it's good. boxing is alive ufc is dead.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/875103510165037056

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Holy poo poo. Conor really pulled this off.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

loving L O L

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Rigel posted:

The PPV will be Showtime PPV, and the main card will be all boxing.

Early line in Vegas

Mayweather -1000
McGregor +650

The odds should probably be longer than that, but they want gamblers to look at it and think its possible.

worth noting that i've seen odds kind of all over the place right now, but bovada has conor at +500 and floyd at -800

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This could really hurt the GGG-Conelo PPV, this freakshow is only 3 weeks before.

In September, casual fans might be thinking "man, gently caress boxing, I got ripped off by that Mayweather-McGregor fight, I'm not paying for that."

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
dana and floyd are both probably very happy to gently caress over de la hoya

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

worth noting that i've seen odds kind of all over the place right now, but bovada has conor at +500 and floyd at -800

Lol omg buy that all the way down to -2000.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I goddamn hate Mayweather, but McGregor has a worse chance to win his fight than CM Punk did against Gall, right? Like, we're going to see McGregor get loving slaughtered.

Also, will there be other fights on the card before this one? I definitely want to throw or attend a party for this, but people are gonna be loving pissed if there isn't at least one competitive fight on the card.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Rigel posted:

This could really hurt the GGG-Conelo PPV, this freakshow is only 3 weeks before.

In September, casual fans might be thinking "man, gently caress boxing, I got ripped off by that Mayweather-McGregor fight, I'm not paying for that."

Canelo vs GGG will be fine. It's UFC PPVs that are extremely hosed.

Skip My Posts posted:

dana and floyd are both probably very happy to gently caress over de la hoya

lol yeah that too

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

surf rock posted:

I goddamn hate Mayweather, but McGregor has a worse chance to win his fight than CM Punk did against Gall, right? Like, we're going to see McGregor get loving slaughtered.

Also, will there be other fights on the card before this one? I definitely want to throw or attend a party for this, but people are gonna be loving pissed if there isn't at least one competitive fight on the card.

id say he has a better chance than cm punk since he's actually good at fighting at a basic level

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just loving lol

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

surf rock posted:

There will probably be like 2-3 undercard bouts, but nobody gives a poo poo about boxing undercards so it's probably safe to skip.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

surf rock posted:

conor mcgregor is an accomplished combat sports athlete guy who is in his prime going up against an older defensive-minded boxer. Conor won't win a round but he will look fine out there. CM Punk didn't drink beer for 35 years before putting on a gi for the first time and then he stepped into the cage with a young animal.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Lol, that's Floyd's dad.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

big money big clit posted:

Lol, that's Floyd's dad.

Yes, that would be the joke

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Bubba Smith posted:

I've heard theories that UFC may scrap PPV altogether and put everything on free TV as a way to get the $450 million they want when their new TV deal comes up.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

lmao

is there any way this does better than mayweather-pacquiao?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yes, that would be the joke

I know, and it's a funny one, which is why I was laughing out loud about it.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

henkman posted:

lmao

no one has a god drat clue and anyone who says they do is lying

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

henkman posted:

lmao

Who knows but there's this:

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/875089917117911040

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This is so dumb but I will watch it. Just my twisted hot take.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

no one has a god drat clue and anyone who says they do is lying

Fair enough

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bubba Smith posted:

Boxing is not doing well. They occasionally spike a crazy number on a single PPV, but for the most part the UFC has done better than boxing the last few years. From 2014-2016 Boxing had one PPV with >1 million buys. The UFC had 5.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

eric posted:

I've heard theories that UFC may scrap PPV altogether and put everything on free TV as a way to get the $450 million they want when their new TV deal comes up.

if you have a link to support this, i'd love to see it. i know they are asking for a huge increase but i thought ppv was always going to be their bread and butter

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

So does Mayweather value 50-0 and $100 million or 51-1 and $300 million more?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Irish and Irish American fans tend to tune into big boxing matches anyway, does McGregor even bring a ton of eyes into this?

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

pyrotek posted:

So does Mayweather value 50-0 and $100 million or 51-1 and $300 million more?

:tinfoil:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

UFC tries its hardest, but nobody can quite deliver a freakshow trainwreck like boxing :allears:

Edit: Nevermind I just remembered DADA5000 vs Kimbo Slice

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Bluedeanie posted:

Irish and Irish American fans tend to tune into big boxing matches anyway, does McGregor even bring a ton of eyes into this?

yes

This is so dumb. But I'm gonna watch it anyways, so I guess I'm also dumb.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

lmao alright

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Jerusalem posted:

UFC tries its hardest, but nobody can quite deliver a freakshow trainwreck like boxing :allears:

I don't think anything can hold a candle to mma freak show fights

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Congratulations to conor and I look forward to the gif

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Jerusalem posted:

Japanese MMA absolutely schools boxing when it comes to freakshow fights

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This is a real dumb take IMO

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

henkman posted:

lmao

Are there more irish people than filipinos in the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

This is going to be an insanely fun and entertaining fight no matter what the outcome. When two huge egos clash something very fuckin funny is bound to happen and we all win.

• Locked thread