Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
KingLemming, I just wanna say thanks for the hard work you put into TE/CoFH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

My dislike for it is similar to above. I literally only use it for minecraft. With no option to disable or remove any bloatware its not that good for me. Plus i let my son play on my pc/account ( until i get him his own pc) and i really dont want a 5 year old doing anything that's even remotely connected the outside.

technic, AT and FTB launchers all do that perfectly. twitch doesnt.

But if it is easy to get packs on the other launchers i may have to look into just straight out ripping them from curse and putting them elsewhere where my son can access them.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

frenzy posted:

If you've watched the rise and fall of technic and curseforge (aka curse aka twitch launcher) then it's actually really interesting how the feedthebeast guys kind of saw the future of modded minecraft and built a platform that usurped the technic launcher as king of pack distribution. slowpoke101 talks a lot about it in this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIa_LxMdNnQ

Ugh...Slowpoke. Probably the slimiest of the Anti-Technic crowd.

It is great the whole modpack thing has finally evolved to something more sane though.

Serifina posted:

They do need to get off their asses and get Linux support done. It's ridiculous it's taking them so long.

Yeah, that is a shame.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

lolmer posted:

You can even disable comments so you never have to hear from anyone and can pretend no one else is using your modpack. :)

I'm just terrible at minecraft having not played minecraft for 7 months.

And I just realized the drones throw barrels of TNT.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 15, 2017

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I use Technic to distribute my modpack because it's easy enough to pack it all into a .zip file, throw it up on dropbox, and link the pack to that. My only gripe is that it takes a while for the launcher to sync with the servers, but other than that, it allows me to do the basic stuff, which is all I really need, and users can totally just download the pack and import into their favorite launcher if they want.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
So far my only problem with having my pack on Curse is that I can't include OptiFine. Yeah yeah worst mod ever, etc etc but it's the only drat way to do CTM and custom item textures post-1.7.10 and that poo poo's rad. I wish someone would make a Forge mod that only adds CTM and CIT capabilities without doing all the rendering fuckery that OF does, but whatcha gonna do.

It's not really a showstopper though, and it says more about OF's stupid license than anything.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 15, 2017

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Fortis posted:

So far my only problem with having my pack on Curse is that I can't include OptiFine. Yeah yeah worst mod ever, etc etc but it's the only drat way to do CTM and custom item textures post-1.7.10 and that poo poo's rad. I wish someone would make a Forge mod that only adds CTM and CIT capabilities without doing all the rendering fuckery that OF does, but whatcha gonna do.

It's not really a showstopper though, and it says more about OF's stupid license than anything.

Yeah, there's a reason they don't include Optifine on Curse - or on the third-party list. It is very inconsistent from user to user, and while it might be great for you, for someone else it can break things, and nearly always requires fiddling with the configuration for it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Fortis posted:

You can just download it manually.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Optifine is a bit like the Curse launcher, it's mostly got a bad rep from the past. I remember in 1.6 and earlier, there were some major issues I had with it (rendering multiblock TE's was something I think it had issue with) but on the flip side I've had players on my server who could not have played the modpack we use without it, however, and in 1.7.10 or 1.10.2 it's only ever improved my experience. The only real config stuff I've had to do was just in the video options menus, which honestly vanilla MC would do well to expand on.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

optifine in 1.10 caused a series of hideous crashes related to rendering fonts on a super circuit maker integrated circuit

the only solution was to nuke it from this gay earth

do not suffer a optifine to live

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

McFrugal posted:

You can just download it manually.

I know, the (very minor) issue is having to tell people where to get it and fire to install it. Like I said, it's not a big deal, just annoying.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Can't you just stuff Optifine into the pack's ZIP on Curse just like any other mod they don't normally carry or is there some licensing thing that keeps you from doing that?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Toadsmash posted:

Can't you just stuff Optifine into the pack's ZIP on Curse just like any other mod they don't normally carry or is there some licensing thing that keeps you from doing that?

A moderator has to approve the zip. They check that 1) all Curse-hosted mods are in the manifest.json that tells there launcher what to download and NOT in the zip itself as jar files, and 2) that any mod jar files that ARE in the zip are on the approved non-Curse mods list. Optifine isn't on the list. They say it's due to licensing but the explanation Serifina gave above also makes sense.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I was under the impression that Curse mostly just reviews uploads to make sure there isn't any malicious code/files inside. Declining to host a file due to bugs/usability/etc. issues would fall outside Curse's purview as the content host (versus creator) in my mind, but I guess everybody does things differently. I had no idea how tightly (or loosely) they control their content submissions. Interesting!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

CrazyTolradi posted:

Optifine is a bit like the Curse launcher, it's mostly got a bad rep from the past. I remember in 1.6 and earlier, there were some major issues I had with it (rendering multiblock TE's was something I think it had issue with) but on the flip side I've had players on my server who could not have played the modpack we use without it, however, and in 1.7.10 or 1.10.2 it's only ever improved my experience. The only real config stuff I've had to do was just in the video options menus, which honestly vanilla MC would do well to expand on.

Except in this case, since Optifine changes the rendering system directly, it can and still does cause problems unique to Optifine. Straight up loving over your game is rarer, but it can still cause problems.

Toadsmash posted:

I was under the impression that Curse mostly just reviews uploads to make sure there isn't any malicious code/files inside. Declining to host a file due to bugs/usability/etc. issues would fall outside Curse's purview as the content host (versus creator) in my mind, but I guess everybody does things differently. I had no idea how tightly (or loosely) they control their content submissions. Interesting!

Only mods hosted on Curse or that are already on the Third Party list are allowed. Third Party allowance requires the mod author to specifically grant Curse permission to distribute in modpacks or have a 100% open permission to begin with. The vast majority of mods not hosted on Curse are on the Third Party list already. Optifine is probably the single major example that isn't.

Serifina fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 15, 2017

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

optifine in 1.10 caused a series of hideous crashes related to rendering fonts on a super circuit maker integrated circuit

the only solution was to nuke it from this gay earth

do not suffer a optifine to live
SCM works fine for me?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Why is it so hard to get Shimmerleaf in AgSkies 2?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
After dying like 50+ times, trying to do anything with minecolony other than deploying the supply caravan chest is a mistake it seems. It takes a few days for the builder to just set up the town hall and he doesn't work on rainy days, and the massive amount of processed and crafted wood materials is obscene for the little benefit it gives in game, and the arson happy raiders tend to start spawning on day 2, and raiders also spawn regardless of light levels, meaning the only thing that can stop them from spawning is the powered lamp.

Raiders spawn next to flamable building-> raiders burn down flamable building-> spend more time and resources on something that's going to be burned down or exploded.

The guards are about on par with a disposable item turret, except in the later days when radiers have 30-300 hp and hit like brick poo poo houses if you don't have good armor, also the guards do not understand Line of Sight. They're pretty good, but not in invasion modpack.
The Sawmill/wood cutters only chop down trees and don't give planks ("saw mill"?), and the builder can't craft things that he needs to craft and some building higher than tier 1 needs crafting tables when crafting tables are a consumable uncraftable commodity which requires that you pick up 9 crafting tables. The Armorer and bakery can't be made even though their benefits are minimal, bread is hard to craft and bugs are 10 times better for eating after you get a deep fryer, or just eat baked potatoes or carrots.

When playing invasion modpack, don't bother with minecolony, it's good, just not on invasion modpack. Or just save yourself the pain and just remove it manually from the modpack for reduced load, same with that airplane mod that I never knew existed until I looked though the recipes.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Fortis posted:

As someone whose been fiddling and slowly adding onto a resource pack (14,825 images/property files organized across 653 folders for a MC 1.8 edition with minor mod support) for several years, I would kill for a non-optifine version of CTM and CIT. I was so sad when MCpatcher just kind of died (even though it was a bitch to package in a launcher).

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Enzer posted:

As someone whose been fiddling and slowly adding onto a resource pack (14,825 images/property files organized across 653 folders for a MC 1.8 edition with minor mod support) for several years, I would kill for a non-optifine version of CTM and CIT. I was so sad when MCpatcher just kind of died (even though it was a bitch to package in a launcher).

Ask, and ye shall receive: Connected Texture Mod (now required by Chisel to handle CTM, with Chisel's CTM code being removed).

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

lolmer posted:

Ask, and ye shall receive: Connected Texture Mod (now required by Chisel to handle CTM, with Chisel's CTM code being removed).

See, while this is nice, its lacking a bunch of options still and lol if I'm also going to rewrite from scratch several thousand property files at this point. :v: Maybe it'll get fleshed out in the future since it still looks fairly new.

The optifine dev was at least nice enough to not really touch the MCpatcher format of doing CTM (heck you can even keep the directory named MCPatcher and it will recognize it just fine).

I currently use Optifine for:

• Custom biome tinting.
  • Custom biome color tinting applied to specific blocks.
  • Custom block textures depending on biomes (desert biomes get different stone textures, mossy blocks are a bit more mossier in swamp/jungle biomes, sand looks different depending if its in the desert, beach or river bank, etc).
  • Custom water colors applied by biome.
  • Custom lightmap color.
  • Custom font.
  • Varied mob skins depending on biome and/or where the mob is located in the Y axis.
  • Custom skymap layers.
  • Randomized textures block texture selection to break up patterns.
  • "Grid" based connect textures.
  • Vertical only connected textures.
  • Horizontal only connected textures.
  • Custom textures resulting from stacking certain blocks.
  • Custom item textures based on stack size.

I'm sure I'm missing some more things in there, but you get the idea.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

anyone played the 'serious remnants' pack on the curse launcher? i've loaded it up and so far it seems interesting, but it's always hard to tell with these adventure pack things.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Enzer posted:

See, while this is nice, its lacking a bunch of options still and lol if I'm also going to rewrite from scratch several thousand property files at this point. :v: Maybe it'll get fleshed out in the future since it still looks fairly new.

The optifine dev was at least nice enough to not really touch the MCpatcher format of doing CTM (heck you can even keep the directory named MCPatcher and it will recognize it just fine).

I currently use Optifine for:

• Custom biome tinting.
  • Custom biome color tinting applied to specific blocks.
  • Custom block textures depending on biomes (desert biomes get different stone textures, mossy blocks are a bit more mossier in swamp/jungle biomes, sand looks different depending if its in the desert, beach or river bank, etc).
  • Custom water colors applied by biome.
  • Custom lightmap color.
  • Custom font.
  • Varied mob skins depending on biome and/or where the mob is located in the Y axis.
  • Custom skymap layers.
  • Randomized textures block texture selection to break up patterns.
  • "Grid" based connect textures.
  • Vertical only connected textures.
  • Horizontal only connected textures.
  • Custom textures resulting from stacking certain blocks.
  • Custom item textures based on stack size.

I'm sure I'm missing some more things in there, but you get the idea.

Have you contacted the author? It's also open-source so it could be forked if you're willing to work. My plate is too full to work on something like this right now but your features don't sound too unrealistic. The chisel devs have been very responsive to suggestions in the past too.

As for the property files, that stuff shouldn't be too hard to convert with a script to a new system.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I remember way back in the day there was an aesthetic block mod that added massive connected texture blocks. Like textures that look like normal stonebrick, but you only see the full scale of it at 3x3. Chisel has a few examples, but this mod had some nice large stone bricks and sandstone bricks that would look neat for larger faces. But I just can't find any records of such a thing.

Any ideas?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there a mod for flattening bedrock that works with Life in the Woods: Renaissance? I love LITW, but not having an ability to flatten bedrock in worldgen is a pain in the rear end. Having a flat bedrock layer rather than the jumbled mess it normally generates as just makes the deep cavern exploration game so much less of a hassle to navigate.

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If it isn't too much of a bother, I'd at least like to know. For servers, I would be curious what it would be like to do with a dynamically-generated overworld.

For the server pack I included the forge essentials mod and set the end to be the default spawn dimension. The catch is that 1. the first time a player enters the server they get kicked and the server throws out a very long error report (but they can join just fine from there on out with no further errors) 2. wherever you set the world spawn in the overworld is where the player will spawn in the end. So if your worldspawn is at 0 64 0 in the overworld that's where people will spawn in the end as well, regardless of your settings. From there you can just use transporter NPC's to move people to whichever dimension you want. Keep in mind that you don't actually have to have a transporter NPC on both sides; you can set up the route, delete the NPC and still teleport people to a destination. Also, that wooden feather the NPC mod adds lets you teleport between dimensions. Kind of useful for setting this all up.

After doing this you may get an issue where the server is constantly loading and unloading dimensions. It puts a huge strain on resources and is Not Cool. To fix it just put a spotloader somewhere in all dimensions. NPC's can be set to chunkload, too, but for the love of Christ don't ever put a chunkloading NPC next to a spotloader.

For single player, HQM can do it by itself. Just make sure you log out where you want the player to start at before you save and distribute the map.

I also can't recommend forge essentials enough. It covers all the stuff the essential bukkit plugins used to do for server owners and then some.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

anyone played the 'serious remnants' pack on the curse launcher? i've loaded it up and so far it seems interesting, but it's always hard to tell with these adventure pack things.

It's decent. YouTuber by the name SeriousCreeper built it. He has a few vids on it. It focuses on exploring (not really in my experience) and it gates a few things behind tough as nails and better with mods.

Planks can only be made on a chopping block or saw. You have to be aware of hot/cold temps, and maintain hydration.

Also he added his own loot chests in, and you can only sleep after it's dark for a bit. However sleeping drains food a decent amount.

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 16, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mensrea posted:

For the server pack I included the forge essentials mod and set the end to be the default spawn dimension. The catch is that 1. the first time a player enters the server they get kicked and the server throws out a very long error report (but they can join just fine from there on out with no further errors)

That right there is going to be an ongoing source for problems. If my wife was already frustrated at all the he;lp posts in the BFSR Technic page, she'll blow a gasket when 20 people all complain individually that they get kicked off the server when they try to join it. I mean, it's my rodeo, and I'm a little leery of making that the official method. I'm probably better off giving the first player to join the server a magic thing that shits out a little house and creates a warp to the tutorial dimension.

(The real solution is to just get a spawn point setting command that can hit another dimension. This is apparently the hardest thing in the universe or something.)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Arkitektbmw posted:

It's decent. YouTuber by the name SeriousCreeper built it. He has a few vids on it. It focuses on exploring (not really in my experience) and it gates a few things behind tough as nails and better with mods.

Planks can only be made on a chopping block or saw. You have to be aware of hot/cold temps, and maintain hydration.

Also he added his own loot chests in, and you can only sleep after it's dark for a bit. However sleeping drains food a decent amount.

it seems pretty alright from what little i've messed with. kind of like a laid-back 'challenge' adventure modpack that's really light on the system.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Chisels and Bits is really cool.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

In CotT where am i going to find aluminium ore?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

In CotT where am i going to find aluminium ore?

Bauxite Ore. it's pretty common, I think I've found it both at surface level and near bedrock

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Devor posted:

Bauxite Ore. it's pretty common, I think I've found it both at surface level and near bedrock

That doesnt appear in NEI, let alone in the world i have???

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
There should be Thermal Expansion Aluminum, though I'm pretty sure I got all mine from bauxite before making Mystical Agriculture seeds for it. But it looks like the IE ores got disabled.

There's been a lot of :wtc: problems in the pack lately, that have gone beyond 'this is an unfortunate bug that we gotta wait on an update for' to 'what the gently caress was boolyman thinking when he did this?' Quests for things that were removed or disabled, such as completely removing Yellorium from being a registered ingot (and leaving the quest to use the Forge Lexicon to change Uranium into it, which doesn't work) and the infamous Justice Assembled quest; random things we aren't able to craft anymore since the 1.18 update such as: TiCon crafting benches, Storage Drawers' Drawer Controller, Tinker I/O's Smart Output and Fuel Input Machine; and the fact that it doesn't seem like he's ever actually deleted any quests that he removed from the quest book (leaving leftover dependencies for quests that still exist but that you can't complete without going into edit mode.)

I mean, I'm opped on the server I play on and it's still annoying having to /bq_admin complete quests or use JEI cheat mode to get things just for myself, let alone for all the other players who are just stuck until I or another op fixes it for them.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Black Pants posted:

There should be Thermal Expansion Aluminum, though I'm pretty sure I got all mine from bauxite before making Mystical Agriculture seeds for it. But it looks like the IE ores got disabled.

There's been a lot of :wtc: problems in the pack lately, that have gone beyond 'this is an unfortunate bug that we gotta wait on an update for' to 'what the gently caress was boolyman thinking when he did this?' Quests for things that were removed or disabled, such as completely removing Yellorium from being a registered ingot (and leaving the quest to use the Forge Lexicon to change Uranium into it, which doesn't work) and the infamous Justice Assembled quest; random things we aren't able to craft anymore since the 1.18 update such as: TiCon crafting benches, Storage Drawers' Drawer Controller, Tinker I/O's Smart Output and Fuel Input Machine; and the fact that it doesn't seem like he's ever actually deleted any quests that he removed from the quest book (leaving leftover dependencies for quests that still exist but that you can't complete without going into edit mode.)

I mean, I'm opped on the server I play on and it's still annoying having to /bq_admin complete quests or use JEI cheat mode to get things just for myself, let alone for all the other players who are just stuck until I or another op fixes it for them.

I think your server updated may have gotten borked somehow? I reinstalled the 1.18b version shortly after it came out, and I don't have problems with most of the things mentioned

TiCon benches I can make by doing Vanilla Bench -> Ghetto Bench -> TiCon Bench in current version
I still have Bauxite Ores - looking at the IE config, I see that most of the Ores have been zeroed out, but they left Bauxite on.
Edit: I definitely just made a Smart Output to finish a quest

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Devor posted:

I think your server updated may have gotten borked somehow? I reinstalled the 1.18b version shortly after it came out, and I don't have problems with most of the things mentioned

TiCon benches I can make by doing Vanilla Bench -> Ghetto Bench -> TiCon Bench in current version
I still have Bauxite Ores - looking at the IE config, I see that most of the Ores have been zeroed out, but they left Bauxite on.
Edit: I definitely just made a Smart Output to finish a quest

Are you running singleplayer or on a server that has the server files?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah i cant even JEI in the ore. But i might beable to cheat in enough stacks of ingots, I mean ive pretty much strip mined a massive area looking for it.

Oh and i cant plant any seeds AT ALL in crop sticks.

When i drop the sticks on dirt that has been hit with a hoe it comes up 'unidentifed soil'. So i havent been able to do any crop breeding at all.

I think ive got wednesday off work, might log back in then and see whats up.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Meskhenet posted:

Yeah i cant even JEI in the ore. But i might beable to cheat in enough stacks of ingots, I mean ive pretty much strip mined a massive area looking for it.

Oh and i cant plant any seeds AT ALL in crop sticks.

When i drop the sticks on dirt that has been hit with a hoe it comes up 'unidentifed soil'. So i havent been able to do any crop breeding at all.

I think ive got wednesday off work, might log back in then and see whats up.

Try sticking them in an IE Garden Cloche instead. They'll grow any Mystical Agriculture seed except Inferium (unless you manually update IE to the last 1.10 version).

Edit: It's INFERIUM, me. gently caress.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 19, 2017

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Black Pants posted:

Are you running singleplayer or on a server that has the server files?

Singleplayer.

Also, what's the progression supposed to be for reasonable inventory management? I thought I was going to beeline for Refined Storage, but I just realized that the Solderer is gating it pretty hard (Galgadorean garbage), or Blood Magic meteor summoning.

I'm guessing that the intermediate step is setting up a storage drawer system, using an EnderIO inventory access to see it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Blacktooth posted:

Ugh...Slowpoke. Probably the slimiest of the Anti-Technic crowd.

It is great the whole modpack thing has finally evolved to something more sane though.

Yeah, that is a shame.

Yeah, it's good that things are user friendly now, but a shame that slime bag and his friends are knuckle deep in it. The drama is so old though the users that were around for it are in the minority, so I guess it's all in the past.