Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Rigel posted:

Boxing is not doing well. They occasionally spike a crazy number on a single PPV, but for the most part the UFC has done better than boxing the last few years. From 2014-2016 Boxing had one PPV with >1 million buys. The UFC had 5.

most of those big ufc ppvs involved conor. he's gone. now what UFC is left with is trying to promote the king of online gaming demetrious johnson and gegard mousasi in reebok shorts for $59.99. Nobody wants to buy that poo poo. I know because I don't want to.

I'm happy the Floyd vs Conor fight got made. UFC however is in for a real bad stretch of PPVs in 2017-2019 or whenever the next new guy comes around. Maybe it'll be georges st. pierre but I don't think so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jerusalem posted:

UFC tries its hardest, but nobody can quite deliver a freakshow trainwreck like boxing :allears:

Edit: Nevermind I just remembered DADA5000 vs Kimbo Slice

That was in Bellator. If you open it up to MMA...

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Bluedeanie posted:

Irish and Irish American fans tend to tune into big boxing matches anyway, does McGregor even bring a ton of eyes into this?

Just Bleed white dudes, maybe Brazilians who want to see Conor get embarrassed, triathletes invited to the Diaz BBQ.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
If conor gets 100 mil what is the ufc's take? Does yhe ali act mean ufc can only maximally take 20 mil or 40 mil?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I just want more than 10 weeks of poo poo talking promos

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Mr. Carlisle posted:

This is going to be an insanely fun and entertaining fight no matter what the outcome. When two huge egos clash something very fuckin funny is bound to happen and we all win.

When Conor loses he will just talk about how he challenged himself by fighting the best boxer in the world and now he's richer than any of us will ever be, and will continue to act exactly like he did before.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

sportsgenius86 posted:

This is a real dumb take IMO
Would you expect anything else from Darren Rovell?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I have no words

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm super pumped for this and I don't really care why. It's a circus but it's also two all time great fighters coming together for a match and the only bullshit aspect is that they're from different sides of the same sport. It's nowhere near as silly as CM Punk or anything like that. It's a dream fight you slap together in a video game. There's always the talk of "hey could you imagine if Bruce Lee fought x, what about Tyson vs x" and so on. We're actually getting one of those schoolyard what if fights and I'm happy. Sports and entertainment don't always need to make sense when they can be exciting in a very primal fun way.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
lmao this is already great

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I just want more than 10 weeks of poo poo talking promos

That's really what you're paying for with the PPV buy.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Dangersim posted:

I have no words

Conor is definitely going to win because Floyd only has "stunt weed" rather than the famous performance enhancing drug marijuana

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dangersim posted:

I have no words

It's okay, you weren't the only one who thought this never had a chance of happening

But I'm so glad it is

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dana White just said that it will be at T-Mobile arena (so not the MGM Grand which Mayweather originally reserved)

More interestingly, it will be super welterweight, which is 154 pounds. So, Mayweather is coming almost all the way up to McGregor's weight (155). I assume weight cuts are harder for him as he gets older, and he's probably confident that he doesn't need the added advantage of forcing Conor to cut down to win. His last fight was at welterweight (147)

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Mr. Carlisle posted:

This is going to be an insanely fun and entertaining fight no matter what the outcome. When two huge egos clash something very fuckin funny is bound to happen and we all win.

The media circus is gonna be way more fun than the actual fight but maybe the buildup will make it worth it.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

weird but good. why not?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Rigel posted:

Dana White just said that it will be at T-Mobile arena (so not the MGM Grand which Mayweather originally reserved)

More interestingly, it will be super welterweight, which is 154 pounds. So, Mayweather is coming almost all the way up to McGregor's weight (155). I assume weight cuts are harder for him as he gets older, and he's probably confident that he doesn't need the added advantage of forcing Conor to cut down to win. His last fight was at welterweight (147)

Mayweather has fought at, and won titles at, super welterweight.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Can't wait for the split draw and the inevitable trilogy due to corrupt judging

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

This is all so loving funny lmao

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Can't wait to see Floyd beat another bitch

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Cart Mountain posted:

weird but good. why not?

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Something funny will happen so hell why not.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

The Secret is real, and Conor is gonna be real rich.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

JaySB posted:

Lol omg buy that all the way down to -2000.

No poo poo, Westgate Superbook has Money at -1100

(I hate Money because of his DV but he'll win comfortably)

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

Benne posted:

There will probably be like 2-3 undercard bouts, but nobody gives a poo poo about boxing undercards so it's probably safe to skip.

PBF tends to try and stack his undercards, so there should be a fight or two of interest to boxing fans. Although non-boxing fans will be fine to not give a gently caress.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Can't wait to watch this sick fight with all my friends. The true ascendancy of Conor... double weight class UFC champ and soon the lineal greatest boxer of all time.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Troy Queef posted:

No poo poo, Westgate Superbook has Money at -1100

(I hate Money because of his DV but he'll win comfortably)

Put a bunch of money on it and donate half your profit to RAINN imo

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Cart Mountain posted:

weird but good. why not?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Thanks a lot Obama

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I'm starting to think that the only way Floyd loses this fight is if he cares more about money than 50-0.

Edit. Typo

JaySB fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 15, 2017

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The best part of this match will be making straight up dollar for dollar bets with friends who dksab and think McGregor has a punchers chance or whatever.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

JaySB posted:

I'm starting to think that the only way Floyd loses this fight is if he cares more about money than 50-1.

It'd be 49-1 if he loses. This would be Floyd's 50th fight which is just one more reason for him to take it seriously.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

It'd be 49-1 if he loses. This would be Floyd's 50th fight which is just one more reason for him to take it seriously.

Sorry, I meant 50-0 obv.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

Also 50-0 beats Marciano's record, which many thought would never be done

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

JaySB posted:

Sorry, I meant 50-0 obv.

I just assumed you were thinking ahead to the rematch and another ridiculous pay day.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I'm glad that Floyd is going to be the one to put the lights out on MMA once and for all.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Even if this fight was done under MMA rules, Floyd's footwork is so great he would just phase through Conor's arms.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Chris James 2 posted:

Also 50-0 beats Marciano's record, which many thought would never be done

So the greatest win-loss record in boxing will be broken by a freak fight? That makes this fight even funnier.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The Marciano "record" isn't really a boxing record. I'll make a more detailed post when at a computer and not a phone, but for history's sake 50-0 is more of a pretty number thing than a boxing record thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I don't think floyd would throw the fight for more money when he's already 40 years old. too many things could happen to make a rematch a pain in the rear end, not to mention more time spent training when he's already done that for 20 years and is probably tired of it. which is sorta why he retired in the first place.

Floyd getting $100+ million at the age of 40 is already pretty crazy.

• Locked thread