Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Bubba Smith posted:

I don't think floyd would throw the fight for more money when he's already 40 years old. too many things could happen to make a rematch a pain in the rear end, not to mention more time spent training when he's already done that for 20 years and is probably tired of it. which is sorta why he retired in the first place.

Floyd getting $100+ million at the age of 40 is already pretty crazy.

I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd never stopped training tbh, it seems like his entire life is just training and gambling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buoyant Force
Dec 26, 2006

:science:

astrollinthepork posted:

Even if this fight was done under MMA rules, Floyd's footwork is so great he would just phase through Conor's arms.

Lol no way in hell does Floyd win under MMA rules

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Buoyant Force posted:

He would phase through Conor's arms and legs, learn to read, dude.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Lionel Richie posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd never stopped training tbh, it seems like his entire life is just training and gambling

True, but I dunno I still think Floyd doesn't want to spend his 40s worrying about being in peak physical condition and all that. at some point ya gotta want to relax & indulge while you still have some good years left. otherwise what's the point of making all that money?

Also unrelated but Conor still has to deal with USADA's random testing for UFC while Floyd doesn't have to do any real drug testing, right? That owns.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Lionel Richie posted:

Also this fight had been talked about since a few months after he retired, most of the talk coming from him and his camp

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chris James 2 posted:

Also 50-0 beats Marciano's record, which many thought would never be done

Joe Mesi would have beaten it first if he never got injured

:colbert:

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
congrats to conor for fighting a retired old man i guess

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Some followup on why the Marciano record isn't a huge deal in boxing:

- Most fans don't think much of Marciano's record of opponents to begin with. Marciano had less than 10 world title fights and arguably competed in one of the weaker heavyweight eras. He's not considered an all-time-great heavyweight in the same way that Muhammad Ali or Joe Louis are. Marciano retired early at 32 years old and I think most fans feel that if he had kept fighting instead he probably would have lost to the likes of Floyd Patterson or Sonny Liston.

- The Marciano "record" is very specific: Marciano has the best "unblemished" record of any retired world champion; in other words he has the most wins of any retired champ who never lost or drew a fight. Plenty of other fighters have racked up bigger winning streaks while active, and as far as undefeated/unblemished streaks go, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. holds that record with 87 wins before controversially drawing with Pernell Whitaker.

- Even among undefeated retired champs Marciano doesn't hold the best winning record; that one goes to Ricardo Lopez with 51 wins, 0 losses and just one draw.

It's no small feat to go 50-0 in boxing, certainly not against the level of competition Mayweather has fought. But 50-0 or not, he'll already go down in history as a way better fighter than Marciano.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 15, 2017

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Buoyant Force posted:

The guys not even going to win under boxing rules

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I won't watch it because it's boxing rules and not MMA, so Floyd isn't losing.

I'm curious to see the trolling McGregor will receive after losing, considering he's going to make like 100 mil. Words hurt, man.

candide
Jun 16, 2002

The Tipping Point
Which Buffer is going to do the introductions?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
While he'll be fine with his 100 mil, it really will sting to lose, as he absolutely definitely will. I'm all for ultra rich people suffering and feeling bad about things that don't matter, therefore not even enjoying their riches, so that'll be fun. This fight is gonna be absolute dogshit

Bubba Smith posted:

I don't think floyd would throw the fight for more money when he's already 40 years old. too many things could happen to make a rematch a pain in the rear end, not to mention more time spent training when he's already done that for 20 years and is probably tired of it. which is sorta why he retired in the first place.

Floyd getting $100+ million at the age of 40 is already pretty crazy.

he's also wealthy as 10 motherfuckers

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

candide posted:

It'll probably be Jimmy Lennon Jr. who does most of the Showtime fights.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sad

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

candide posted:

zutroy buffer, the long lost third brother

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Skip My Posts posted:

zutroy buffer, the long lost third brother

his head just about reaches the middle rope

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
No doubt Floyd will win, but he's not doing it by knockout is he? Conor has some chin on him and Floyd has brittle hands doesn't he?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

No doubt Floyd will win, but he's not doing it by knockout is he? Conor has some chin on him and Floyd has brittle hands doesn't he?

Floyd will get knocked out

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Floyd will "Win" an all expenses paid vacation to dreamland.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Conor always gasses out around 3 rounds. Anything from round 6 on is a crapshoot and I wouldn't be shocked if Floyd was able to KO him. He usually coasts his way to decision wins but has KO power (26 out of 49, little over half his fights/wins are stoppages). I'd say it all depends on how much of an exclamation point he wants on this 50th win

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Bubba Smith posted:

True, but I dunno I still think Floyd doesn't want to spend his 40s worrying about being in peak physical condition and all that. at some point ya gotta want to relax & indulge while you still have some good years left. otherwise what's the point of making all that money?

Also unrelated but Conor still has to deal with USADA's random testing for UFC while Floyd doesn't have to do any real drug testing, right? That owns.

they're both having to pee in cups, at least that's what I read

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Even if conor gassed around 3 rounds, in boxing terms, thats about two weeks.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Counterpunching is a thoughtless reflex for Mayweather. Unless he got really old in retirement, he's going to hit McGregor and probably more cleanly than he's hit most of the professional boxers he's fought lately. I would have trouble believing that McGregor will be better than for example Canelo Alvarez at avoiding Mayweather's right crosses.

It's hard to say but my personal feeling is that whatever defensive conditioning McGregor has isn't going to compare to what a professional boxer who started the sport at age 13 and fought for twelve years might have. He may even have bad defensive habits that can be exploited.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Ty1990 posted:

Holy poo poo. Conor really pulled this off.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

The Ninth Layer posted:

Counterpunching is a thoughtless reflex for Mayweather. Unless he got really old in retirement, he's going to hit McGregor and probably more cleanly than he's hit most of the professional boxers he's fought lately. I would have trouble believing that McGregor will be better than for example Canelo Alvarez at avoiding Mayweather's right crosses.

It's hard to say but my personal feeling is that whatever defensive conditioning McGregor has isn't going to compare to what a professional boxer who started the sport at age 13 and fought for twelve years might have. He may even have bad defensive habits that can be exploited.

agree.

conor is a great puncher. his power is very nice. i doubt hes got stuff as fast as zabs punch that hit floyd back in in antiquity. but he babe ruth called a shot on a goat-discussion striker in mma, so basically his craftiness and chops seem to give him a chance to land something. i know boxing is different but hes got a commitment and understanding about how to attack with his length. and hes a southpaw that cant hurt right? Also hes got a chin and a lot of courage, and a little reach on Floyd.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
to me if conor won a round, or hung in past the 8th, it would be a pretty good accomplishment

i dont think he'll look like a can cuz hes got physical attributes and surely has sparred pros like weve seen footage of...

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

Really excited and happy about this crazy fight. It's gonna be great watching Mayweather lose.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I hope Conor gets DQ'd for kicking in the first round

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

lol this owns

I hope Conor lands a miracle KO punch early on and then cuts a heel promo about how boxing sucks.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Mcgregor is gonna lose as badly as James Toney

e: I guess not that bad because he won't get knocked out or anything but it's gonna be bad

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Ginette Reno posted:

Mcgregor is gonna lose as badly as James Toney

e: I guess not that bad because he won't get knocked out or anything but it's gonna be bad

I think he might get KOd if he expends a lot of energy attacking. hard to predict what conor will do imo

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

This is going to look like when Mayweather fought Gatti.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

big money big clit posted:

yeah okay maybe I should say its a good accomplishment to make it past round 6

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

big money big clit posted:

If you mean Crime Boss John Gatti and by Mayweather you mean a guy he killed named Mayweather.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Work Friend Keven posted:

If you mean Crime Boss John Gatti and by Mayweather you mean a guy he killed named Mayweather.

hahahaha

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I didn't mean that Keven!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Bundt Cake posted:

I think he might get KOd if he expends a lot of energy attacking. hard to predict what conor will do imo

If I know anything about boxing it's that it isn't up to McGregor.

I don't but I still think that's correct.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I, for one, look forward to screeds on how all MMA fighters are bad when Conor gets KO'd after round 7.

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive
Wait wait wait wait a second here. Butterbean said no commsion would sanction this fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

i'm listening to t he conference call and dana white says while ufc isn't producing or distributing it they are doing a fight week embedded series like they do for ufcs

• Locked thread