Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Please please do be aware when increasing ram in the vmprams file that the maximum and the minimum should be the same. The message is starting to get out there but it's a simple cause of a lot of problems
-Xms & -Xmx need to have the same value

There's a mod index
LazyLib, GraphicsLib, Version Checker & Console Commands are practically mandatory inclusions

Steiner Foundation is a good recommendation for newbies, as it is specifically designed to provide an early game crutch if needed

Balance is somewhat subjective but faction mods both currently good to go and generally considered to be balanced to vanilla standards are; Blackrock Drive Yards, Diable Avionics, Interstellar Imperium, Outer Rim Alliance & Scy

Ship/Weapon Pack is balanced & covers some niches which may or may not have been obviously missing in single player. Super relevant for tournament play
Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering deserves a special mention as it was generally considered overpowered but Soren is very receptive to constructive feedback and has just done a balance pass on it. If any rough edges remain the tournament should highlight it shortly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Huh. Some of those mods might be incompatible. I have nexerelin and all of the dynasector supported mods installed and i'm getting a fatal:null error. Any idea what the cause is?

Shame too. I've got a bunch of diable avionic's ships and two onslaughts that I captured and restored.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Archonex posted:

Huh. Some of those mods might be incompatible. I have nexerelin and all of the dynasector supported mods installed and i'm getting a fatal:null error. Any idea what the cause is?

Shame too. I've got a bunch of diable avionic's ships and two onslaughts that I captured and restored.

Is there a specific mod and function mentioned in the log? Is it a repeatable issue?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Mercrom posted:

The worst thing about installing a bunch of faction mods is the addition of a bunch of overpowered weapons that you don't know which mod they belong to. I wish mod stuff was marked with the mod they came from.

I've suggested this multiple times in the discord and it hasn't stuck yet. It's probably something a third party could create. Just append the faction name or abbreviation to the end of every weapon description string.

Actually I may just go in the csvs and do that right now myself!

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Archonex posted:

If you have Nexelerin AND Omnifactory, you need overwrite the mods\Nexerelin\data\config\omnifactory config with the mods\Omnifactory\data\config\omnifactory config.

That's what was giving me the same error earlier

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Looks like it's exelerin itself. Either hovering your mouse over the market attacked condition event on a recently conquered planet or the game spawning in a certain bounty (No idea what. It gives me an unknown type.) is causing it to crash.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Mercrom posted:

The worst thing about installing a bunch of faction mods is the addition of a bunch of overpowered weapons that you don't know which mod they belong to. I wish mod stuff was marked with the mod they came from.

But I thought the best part about Starsector was slapping several modded weapons of death onto a scylla and becoming a teleporting grim reaper :confused:

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Sorry SFF

Garfu fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 14, 2017

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Garfu posted:

Sorry SFF

I need this.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Garfu posted:

Sorry SFF

:buddy:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Lol if you dont already know the source of every weapon from every mod ever made

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Is there some way to tell the range of a given fighter squadron? I can't see anything in their stats.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 14, 2017

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Archonex posted:

Is there some way to tell the range of a given fighter squadron? I can't see anything in their stats.

For vanilla stuff, yes. I expanded the wiki fighter info to include it, as "Maximum engagement range"
I also added a bunch of other, expanded information, which you can get by mousing over the information box
The Thunder has an 8K range and most other fighters have been normalised to 4K range

If you want it for a mod then let me know which one and I'll see if the author wants a wiki or not. Right now I'm focusing on the tournament but when that is done then hopefully quite a few mod wikis will go up

Or you can check it yourself in the 9th column, range, in the \Starsector\mods\ {mod name} \data\hulls\wing_data.csv

TheWetFish fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 14, 2017

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Garfu posted:

Sorry SFF

this badly needs to be the new modding standard

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Soup du Journey posted:

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Soup du Journey posted:

Counter point; it breaks immersion

Building the mod name into the description somewhere might be better overall. That said, nothing stopping people doing this manually and it shouldn't be too hard to write a script to do it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TheWetFish posted:

Why?

You’re pulling up the weapon’s catalogue description.

Space Sears–Roebuck wants you to be satisfied with your purchase.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

TheWetFish posted:

yeah i can't say that i care for that solution

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Prav posted:

yeah i can't say that i care for that solution

I think it's a great idea. I put it to some of the mods, that was the feedback I got so far. Give it a few days and we'll see how everyone else is feeling about it

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

at least stick it on the end of the codex entry after a couple of newlines

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

TheWetFish posted:

Nah, at least not anymore than stuff like DPS being displayed.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

What about a mouseover button that shows the origin of a thing when you roll over it?

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Anticheese posted:

What about a mouseover button that shows the origin of a thing when you roll over it?

It seems to be relatively easily scriptable to append a tag into the descriptions (I say, before I flail at it for several hours). I'll see if I can put something together over the next few days, if someone doesn't beat me to it

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Lol if you dont already know the source of every weapon from every mod ever made

...said the spaceman who refuses to standardize between BR_ and BRDY_ prefixes (and gives no fucks for achilles_mrm and achilles_pod.) :v:

MesoTroniK
May 20, 2014

IMO blah blah, if you are going to mention what faction makes the weapon (which should be done most of the time). Do it right, in a in-universe friendly manner, so something like this.

"A custom-tooled battery of low-caliber firing assemblies, ready-made for point-defense duties. Efficient and especially powerful against warship-grade shield systems.

This weapon is manufactured - sans blueprint - by Tiandong Heavy Industries. A post-Collapse ""invention"", the Superheavy Machine Gun is a fusion of antiquated design practices with ancient weapons technology, made to work less through ingenuity but rather a long process of trial and error. This weapon is mocked by Tri-Tachyon suits for its primitive nature, but in this age of aggression, few would dare reject a nice, big gun bolted to their hull."

Doing it in any other way would result in me turning off the mod heh. Yes, I find it done in a sort of outside context manner pretty gross. After all, vanilla mentions weapon manufacturers for some things too. And guess what? It is done almost exactly like that example I just posted from THI.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

My bros, how do you sell/store your mass weapons you collect from battles? Surely there's a better way than selecting each individually and dragging it over.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Count Roland posted:

My bros, how do you sell/store your mass weapons you collect from battles? Surely there's a better way than selecting each individually and dragging it over.

control-click the stack. shift-click-and-hold to get a slider if you want to select a partial amount.

i also recommend just leaving most stuff that drops. sure pick up the rarities, but leave the 200 arbalests.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Prav posted:

control-click the stack. shift-click-and-hold to get a slider if you want to select a partial amount.

i also recommend just leaving most stuff that drops. sure pick up the rarities, but leave the 200 arbalests.

I don't mean the stacks, I mean the qty 1 vulcan cannon, qty 1 thumper, qty 1 harpoon etc.

I take it all, which gives me massive stores (because I'm a hoarder).

It would be nice if i could just go to the weapons tab and hit "select all".

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
ctrl-click moves it without having to drag. And you're selling vulcans? Those things are so valuable - they go on pretty much everything, including non-combat ships if you feel like you have to run away a lot.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Wow did someone just seriously use "My Immersion" as a reason for not displaying information to a player? I thought people like that were myths.

I mean, I don't care much either way since I don't honestly have a lot of trouble figuring out what weapon came from where, but that's a really dumb reason for any decision in any non-rpg game/game mod, especially in this context.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Psycho Landlord posted:

Wow did someone just seriously use "My Immersion" as a reason for not displaying information to a player? I thought people like that were myths.

I mean, I don't care much either way since I don't honestly have a lot of trouble figuring out what weapon came from where, but that's a really dumb reason for any decision in any non-rpg game/game mod, especially in this context.

It was me, sorry. That was quite bad wording there from me

Useful information like this should be provided to the player. There was some discussion elsewhere about the best way to go about it. A point was raised that including the information as part of the description might be preferable. Particularly given that players can add the more striking tags in front relatively easily if they prefer it that way

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

If you're going to bother categorizing mod weapons, it should be done near (preferably at) the beginning of the description rather than somewhere in the flavor text, just for player visibility and time's sake. Justify it as whatever hyper advanced space internet gun wiki you're looking at to learn this poo poo having the incredible technology of sorting by category, I guess.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Psycho Landlord posted:

If you're going to bother categorizing mod weapons, it should be done near (preferably at) the beginning of the description rather than somewhere in the flavor text, just for player visibility and time's sake. Justify it as whatever hyper advanced space internet gun wiki you're looking at to learn this poo poo having the incredible technology of sorting by category, I guess.

Yeah. I can understand a desire for general Immersion. But to me, UI being obtuse for the sake of "It's more realistic if it's awkward! Hiding game mechanics (Only if I personally don't want to be reminded of them) is realistic" just reminds me I'm playing a video game with a poor interface, rather than help my imagination. Though for what it is worth, this is one of the least obtrusive examples of such I've heard pitched.

Immersion is what keeps your head in the game. Be it deep lore, or gameplay itself flowing well enough that you don't have to tab out of the game to consult a wiki, forums, or file folder for what should be incredibly basic information.

If something as small as being reminded that you installed a mod outside of garish "THIS BLASTER IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY CODER LUDDIC LASHER 69" breaks immersion, then you may not be invested into the game enough in the first place.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 15, 2017

LostEnder
Jul 3, 2012

Well, a string is a string, and CONCATENATE() can be pretty flexible when it comes to formatting...

It seems like the middle ground here would be to add a more lore friendly sentence or signature in the description somewhere. I get that it might be ideal to have the maker noted in the flow of the description, but that'd be pretty hard to script and thus :effort:. Even something like "[ModFaction] brings you this [ItemName]." as a top line would be sufficient.

It might be fun to write the descriptions in a more narrative style, like a commentator or hype man speaking vs. the current print ad style.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

LostEnder posted:

Well, a string is a string, and CONCATENATE() can be pretty flexible when it comes to formatting...

It seems like the middle ground here would be to add a more lore friendly sentence or signature in the description somewhere. I get that it might be ideal to have the maker noted in the flow of the description, but that'd be pretty hard to script and thus :effort:. Even something like "[ModFaction] brings you this [ItemName]." as a top line would be sufficient.

It might be fun to write the descriptions in a more narrative style, like a commentator or hype man speaking vs. the current print ad style.

Or just have the mod be something listed in the stats section, rather than the description.

It isn't game breaking for me, but I do like flavour text to keep to vanilla conventions.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’d like it if there were manufacturers with personality.

:torgue:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Just bought a Colossus Mk.II for funsies and wow is it a useless pile of poo poo! I put heavy armor on it and it still almost instantly started taking hull damage. It doesn't have enough OP or flux capacity to actually put any decent weapons on it. The hammer barrage is by far the weakest of all the large missile weapons and it would cost a third of your OP to get extended missile racks so that you can fire it more than five times. Half the small slots are facing sideways only so they can't cover the front or back, in fact there is zero possible coverage toward the rear so if anyone even thinks about using a Salamander missile your engines are gone for the rest of the fight and you'll end up facing rear end towards the enemy, completely defenseless. Also burn drive sucks balls and doesn't do anything but leave you helpless after you end up overshooting your target.

I will be seriously impressed if anyone can come up with a loadout that is even remotely useful. I suppose you could put a converted hangar on it and turn it into a Colossus Mk.II+III but at that point it's just a profoundly retarded Gemini.

Maybe I'm just asking too much of a modified freighter but for losing 2/3 of your cargo capacity I feel like it should get more than half a frigate worth of fighting ability.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 15, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

my kinda ape posted:

Just bought a Colossus Mk.II for funsies and wow is it a useless pile of poo poo! I put heavy armor on it and it still almost instantly started taking hull damage. It doesn't have enough OP or flux capacity to actually put any decent weapons on it. The hammer barrage is by far the weakest of all the large missile weapons and it would cost a third of your OP to get extended missile racks so that you can fire it more than five times. Half the small slots are facing sideways only so they can't cover the front or back, in fact there is zero possible coverage toward the rear so if anyone even thinks about using a Salamander missile your engines are gone for the rest of the fight and you'll end up facing rear end towards the enemy, completely defenseless. Also burn drive sucks balls and doesn't do anything but leave you helpless after you end up overshooting your target.

Wait til you see the mark 3. It trades SO and the hammers for 1 fighter bay

What did you expect would happen after the last "mk II" worthless pirate conversion of a noncombatant?

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 15, 2017

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

counterpoint: the colossus 2 owns and has a hammer barrage which shits out a disgusting amount of torpedoes and built-in SO. it's a battering ram, use it to kick in the door. if it breaks or runs out of ammo doing so, who cares? it's 9 fleet points worth of ill-advised modifications.

expanded missile racks? you're thinking way too long-term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Prav posted:

counterpoint: the colossus 2 owns and has a hammer barrage which shits out a disgusting amount of torpedoes and built-in SO. it's a battering ram, use it to kick in the door. if it breaks or runs out of ammo doing so, who cares? it's 9 fleet points worth of ill-advised modifications.

expanded missile racks? you're thinking way too long-term.

I can't help but be all BSG about my fleet and treat every lost ship as the death of a family member. :saddowns: