Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

Yes but have you considered how much more fun you'd have if there was a 1 in 20 chance of your boots breaking every time you got hit. 1 in 10? 5? Maybe what you really need to inspire yourself to do better is to have all Champions spawn an additional Nurphe Bat as a pet?

I REALLY wish there was a Dark Sun themed overhall mod for this DLC. It would fit in perfectly thematically.

Everything breaks in Dark Sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

madjackmcmad posted:

Yes but have you considered how much more fun you'd have if there was a 1 in 20 chance of your boots breaking every time you got hit. 1 in 10? 5? Maybe what you really need to inspire yourself to do better is to have all Champions spawn an additional Nurphe Bat as a pet?

...okay, how broken am I that this sounds fun? Like, new horrible systems that make the game more involving.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

StrixNebulosa posted:

...okay, how broken am I that this sounds fun? Like, new horrible systems that make the game more involving.
Mechanically I find nothing wrong with hunger clocks, gear repair, and the like. They just didn't feel like Dungeonmans Heroic Adventure to me. But now players can limit bag space, be forced to pick and choose between items, worry about Fractured Anterior Mitibulae and then set timers that any loot they see on the ground disappears after 10 turns.

I played an Ironmans run on stream last night with armor breaking on, and it turned out to be more fun than I expected. "Armor as a Sometimes Food" meant more tension for early battles, and I wanted to spread my enchants as wide as I could across my gear so that I wouldn't suffer so much from a single loss.

Triger ripped my poo poo apart tho

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

madjackmcmad posted:

Mechanically I find nothing wrong with hunger clocks, gear repair, and the like. They just didn't feel like Dungeonmans Heroic Adventure to me. But now players can limit bag space, be forced to pick and choose between items, worry about Fractured Anterior Mitibulae and then set timers that any loot they see on the ground disappears after 10 turns.

I played an Ironmans run on stream last night with armor breaking on, and it turned out to be more fun than I expected. "Armor as a Sometimes Food" meant more tension for early battles, and I wanted to spread my enchants as wide as I could across my gear so that I wouldn't suffer so much from a single loss.

Triger ripped my poo poo apart tho

Perfect. And agreed. These systems are awful, and would turn me away from games - who likes repairing gear? - but now that I've spent hours with Dungeonmans this sounds like a fun way to up the tension and give me more systems to interact with while I crush monsters.

So - yes. I'm going to pay to lose, day one purchase, just drop the DLC already!

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I think that's just roguelike players disease. I remember having a similar reaction to Invisible Incs. Contingency Plan (which owns friggin bones).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't play TOME but my impression of this is that you'd run into the same issues Torchlight (and pre-rework Diablo 3) loot had where there were so many effects on any given piece of gear that it all bled together into a slurry of stats. Am I off the mark?

Honestly, I don't see this as a gameplay problem, it's just one more form of player mastery. I can look at that cloak I posted and in a second or two go "okay that's awesome for a Temporal Warden and really good for just about anyone." You play enough ToME and/or read enough about its systems and you'll get a better handle on what stats are most important, what scales well or poorly, and so on.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I gave Midboss a couple chances and there's definitely a mid-game (heh) wall you hit when Warlocks, Aether Bats, and Minitaurs are introduced. The first two have Magic Missile to ruin your HP bar in about 2-3 turns if you aren't packing a lot of Resistance and the last is a giant HP sponge with Rush to get close and hard melee attacks if you aren't packing a lot of the physical equivalent of Resistance. Devs are saying they're looking into rebalancing things and I'd wait until they're done because while it has an interesting concept it doesn't do enough with it yet.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

madjackmcmad posted:

[x] 20% of enemies can nurphe your gear while also retaining all their other abilities.
[___________________[]____________________________________________________________________________]

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Slime posted:

[x] 20% of enemies can nurphe your gear while also retaining all their other abilities.
[___________________[]____________________________________________________________________________]

That is gross. Going in.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I was going to say I didn't know what Nurphe Bats do, but then I thought about the name a bit.

That's so dumb. :allears:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

madjackmcmad posted:

That is gross. Going in.

You monster! The both of you!

.... I'm going to toggle it aren't I... :negative:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I was going to say I didn't know what Nurphe Bats do, but then I thought about the name a bit.

That's so dumb. :allears:

same

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
God, I'm gonna buy this DLC and never touch any of the sliders.

What is wrong with me?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

God, I'm gonna buy this DLC and never touch any of the sliders.

What is wrong with me?

You're giving money to a goon who keeps making free patches and improvements to his cool game. :yeah:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i keep trying to get into adom but the key bindings are byzantine even by roguelike standards

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i keep trying to get into adom but the key bindings are byzantine even by roguelike standards

I adore ADOM and have probably put more time into it than any of my other games or hobbies (wow that's kinda sad now that I see it written out), but I can't disagree with this statement. Hit me up if you end up looking for a VI-keys config, I have one pre-made and ready to plug in.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

I have a similar problem, in that I learned roguelikes on ADOM, and have spent so much time on it that when I play other roguelikes of similar complexity I can't get past the ADOM keybindings that somehow have come to make total sense to me.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

ADOM keybinds: At Least It's Not Nethack

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

PsyClops posted:

I adore ADOM and have probably put more time into it than any of my other games or hobbies (wow that's kinda sad now that I see it written out), but I can't disagree with this statement. Hit me up if you end up looking for a VI-keys config, I have one pre-made and ready to plug in.

I bought the nice one on steam because I like to support anyone making roguelikes and the tiles looked hella charming, but everything else I play has pretty similar keys, like tome, qud, dungeon crawl. ADOM is just kind of out of left field.

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

I bought the nice one on steam because I like to support anyone making roguelikes and the tiles looked hella charming, but everything else I play has pretty similar keys, like tome, qud, dungeon crawl. ADOM is just kind of out of left field.

Just don't forget about everyone's favorite function, Wipe Face. (you WILL forget about this at least once, it WILL kill you)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Yeah I don't mind there being a billion functions, I just wish they didn't all have their own drat key

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

once you know about wipe face it shouldnt ever kill you, just make you sigh and curse biskup as you open palm slam the command list button.

of course if you dont know about it then lol enjoy your permanent blindness. welcome to the 90s baby. we didn't know what good game design was yet

e: good news there's a context sensitive listing of commands if you press enter in the latest release. bad news it's bugged in such a way that you can get infinite actions without ingame time passing on certain things

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Enichan/status/875185656879869952

Roguelikes! :argh:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Can't wait to play Darkest Dungeon's expansion.

Anyone have experience with the Pitch Black Dungeon mod?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

I like MidBoss alright but I'm not touching it again before the inventory gets changed. It's far too limiting as it is. At least put in stacking potions or books. I feel like I'm playing some kind of Konmari simulator.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Welp, there goes all my interest in MidBoss.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

PMush Perfect posted:

Welp, there goes all my interest in MidBoss.

Lots of good games have devs with stupid opinions.

Midboss itself is kinda meh at the moment. The systems and mechanics are really interesting, but the gameplay is boring.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
That post is the first thing that made me want to try it. :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"Maybe I made this too easy for those filthy casuals who don't know how to play real roguelikes" is loving rubbish. There's something close to a good point there, "this reviewer is not the target audience for my game/genre", but turning that into sneering down at players who don't like that kind of game is pretentious bullshit.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah I mostly agree with the dev (review systems in general are fly tape for bad, uninformed opinions), but "if this were harder/more hardcore/less casul I wouldn't have this problem" is possibly the worst conclusion you could take away from this. Also probably completely wrong.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
is LUA a hard coding language to learn for someone who hasn't really coded in the past? I'm probably going to have a ton of free time coming up soon and I'm considering putting some time into learning some, for messing around with TOME. I seem to recall someone in this / the old TOME thread saying it's a useful way to learn, since you can kind of see how everything works by looking at the existing code?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zeerust posted:

is LUA a hard coding language to learn for someone who hasn't really coded in the past? I'm probably going to have a ton of free time coming up soon and I'm considering putting some time into learning some, for messing around with TOME. I seem to recall someone in this / the old TOME thread saying it's a useful way to learn, since you can kind of see how everything works by looking at the existing code?

Lua is a fairly simple scripting language but it has some odd quirks here and there.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lua is cool and you should give it a try

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

"Maybe I made this too easy for those filthy casuals who don't know how to play real roguelikes" is loving rubbish. There's something close to a good point there, "this reviewer is not the target audience for my game/genre", but turning that into sneering down at players who don't like that kind of game is pretentious bullshit.

I think in this case it's a bruised ego overreacting on twitter. I've been there. Does anyone here know @enichan? If this is his/her/their first shipping rodeo, there's some science that could be dispensed in order to help.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zeerust posted:

Lua's kind of a weird language, but it's not awful, and definitely being able to tweak things and then see those things changed in-game is great for motivation and for understanding how stuff works.

Are you thinking about ToME 2 or the TOME that's on Steam? Definitely don't look at ToME 2's code, it's a horrible Frankenstein-shoggoth thing.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

madjackmcmad posted:

I think in this case it's a bruised ego overreacting on twitter. I've been there. Does anyone here know @enichan? If this is his/her/their first shipping rodeo, there's some science that could be dispensed in order to help.

This is their first Steam release and they're having the usual frustration with the review system. MidBoss is getting updates to improve the inventory and such so it's not like they're going to stop making it accessible. See also Unormal having a long discussion on Twitter the other day about accessibility not always making your game better for your target audience despite spending a lot of time making Qud's interface way more friendly.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Unormal got to talking to him, if you clicked on the tweet. And the two recent reviews that are negative feature some decent criticism. Bruised ego overreacting sounds about right.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Klaus Kinski posted:

Lots of good games have devs with stupid opinions.

As someone who likes Ace of Base I can verify this.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Unormal posted:

I saw the signs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Unormal posted:

Since you're here, have you considered adding some kind of cloud save support to Sproggiwood for iOS? All of my progress is on my phone but I would love to play it on my iPad as well. Even just some kind of Dropbox upload would be great.