Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Swap Blake and Melo and you got yourselves three-fourths of a banana boat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/BA_Turner/status/875134050922516480

Good poo poo

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Ballmer is a crazy person but he seems like a pretty awesome owner, wants to win and happy to put up cash to try and get there. I thought his podcast earlier this year with Simmons was really great.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm still mad about bundling explorer with windows but that's pretty cool.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

I guess Magic Johnson is technically a person around the league

chunkles fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 15, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

I'm still mad about bundling explorer with windows but that's pretty cool.

Don't be mad lil buddy. Everything's alright.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Netscape ...

:negative:

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Great to see owners not try and pull public financing bullshit

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The other owners are probably actually really pissed at Ballmer right now.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Fast Luck posted:

Probably. I'm sure we can all agree gently caress them for robbing the tax payers. Billionaires should have to pay for stadiums for their teams.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Fast Luck posted:

I bet they really are. They were pissed when the warriors did it for their SF toiletbowl too. No handouts (except for sports team owners)!

Will Lebron actually leave Cleveland? He brought back a title so I guess no one could poo poo talk him. Woj kinda hates Lebron so who knows. But it would be kinda hilarious if he went back to Miami.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

mercenary lebron would own. play for the spurs for 1 or 2 years, then join the timberwolves and rekindle that missed connection with wiggins

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Dolan is terrible, but it's been a few years since he's been in direct control. The current state of the Knicks is due to Phil.

The current state of the Knicks is still recovering from Dolan's bullshit. We didn't have our pick last year (Nuggets took Murray with it) because Dolan traded it for Bargnani. Why does Melo have a no-trade clause

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

Are we all glossing over the fact that Morey is about to trade for Carmelo or what

no I'm keeping very quiet so as not to jinx it

actually good, neat

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Ghost Dog posted:

mercenary lebron would own. play for the spurs for 1 or 2 years, then join the timberwolves and rekindle that missed connection with wiggins

if the warriors are really gonna win forever, it would be fun to see lebron sign with and drag progressively worse ec teams to the finals. it'd be tough to top 2007 but i bet he could do it

e: actually looking at that 2007 team roster, getting that team to the finals may be the single most impressive thing he's done in his career

chunkles fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 15, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Fast Luck posted:

Good. gently caress those parasites.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The stadium ballmwr buys is still funded by money he earned extracting wealth from an under regulated monopoly so it's still publicly financed

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Adun posted:

Great to see owners not try and pull public financing bullshit

i thought california didn't feel like doling out any money for sports venues

it's gonna be in inglewood, would have been funny if they decided to play at the forum

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Windows owns though so whatever dude, ballmer is a goof but he's a good goof

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

EMC posted:

Ballmer is a crazy person but he seems like a pretty awesome owner, wants to win and happy to put up cash to try and get there. I thought his podcast earlier this year with Simmons was really great.

Hey, compared to the crazy person he bought the team from? I mean, c'mon.

Fast Luck posted:

I wonder if that's a subtle slap from Seattle boy Steve at the backstabbing squinty scoundrel Clayton Bennett.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Carlosologist posted:

You guys think we'll see a top 5 team trade down in the draft? Certainly seems possible
I don't think it will happen, although if you could promise me DSJ or Monk + Markkanen with the Kings picks I'd swap anyone but Fultz for that without much hesitation.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's a real shame the Clippers have a bad future because of their bad GM

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

EMC posted:

He was super cool the one time I met him, and he managed to convince to not join Microsoft :v:

From what I understand, he is planning to build it next to the new NFL stadium

Also, it might not be 100% his money, since I think it is going to be a joint venture with Kroenke

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 15, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Slightly related but it brings a small smile to my face when I hear that Hansen is basically black balled by the league now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That was a productive nap, woke up to Woj talking about Lebron to the Lakers (it's weird that people are reacting to THIS story about the Lebron move when they ignored the one from the week ago) and the Clippers getting the gently caress out of Staples Center (it really is the best thing for them).

Spacebump posted:

Clippers would be more fun but a Kobe/PG13/young Lakers would be kind of fun. They'd need a new center. It'd be fun to see the Kobe fans that hate LeBron have to cheer him on.

I don't blame you for not following the Lakers but Zubac is pretty good.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Rick posted:

I don't blame you for not following the Lakers but Zubac is pretty good.

For some weird reason the Lakers were one of my most watched non-Mavs teams. This season I watched significantly non-Mavs games compared to past years. However, Zubac didn't play a lot of the games when I watched them, including when I went to the Dirk 30k game. I just haven't seen enough of him to judge his talent.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

As long as the warriors are in tact, I don't see any way LeBron leaves the Eastern Conference.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
KD said Kyrie is better than AI

y/n?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Ballmer gave a private talk at the sun valley conference a while back that roasted public finance mechanisms and actually named names of other sports league owners in the room for being idiots. Private talk when he was trying to buy the clippers tried to block him as a bidder which is why he came in Hot with the 2bil term sheet. It was a cool moment in what is normally a masturbatory celebration

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Tae posted:

It's a real shame the Clippers have a bad future because of their bad GM

The possibility that CP3 and Blake might leave after they tried so hard to convince DJ to stay is really funny to me.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Time posted:

Ballmer gave a private talk at the sun valley conference a while back that roasted public finance mechanisms and actually named names of other sports league owners in the room for being idiots. Private talk when he was trying to buy the clippers tried to block him as a bidder which is why he came in Hot with the 2bil term sheet. It was a cool moment in what is normally a masturbatory celebration

That loving owns

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

verbal enema posted:

KD said Kyrie is better than AI

y/n?

If you want to win 50 games with a poo poo roster >> AI
If you want a piece to a championship roster >> Kyrie

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's hard to judge because Kyrie's never been on a team with more than like 1 good defender for the regular season. I think it's kinda weird how bad Kyrie+Love are when they're on the floor and Lebron isn't.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Tae posted:

It's hard to judge because Kyrie's never been on a team with more than like 1 good defender for the regular season. I think it's kinda weird how bad Kyrie+Love are when they're on the floor and Lebron isn't.

yeah hes mostly just isoing either way i dont get why suddenly the isos dont work without lebrons encouraging presence

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
During the regular season Kyrie and Love played fine without Lebron around. They look to be around +3.6, which is a little better than the Cavaliers were overall.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I hope no one on the Cavs goes away :c

shumpert needs to prove himself to me again that loving dropped pass killed me

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

EMC posted:

It's mixed with him as an owner. He probably trusted Doc too much. Everything in the Ballmer era feels weird. The Clippers have always been LA's second team, but now it feels like they've really doubled down on being the generic brand. The logos, the uniforms. Chuck the Condor really represents the Ballmer era so well. He feels contrived and focused grouped, yet not really targeting anything. He's also a giant ad for Converse. From his name to his design, it's all an ad. For all the research the did on Chuck, they gave him no lovable qualities. There's nothing to like about Chuck. He has no personality. He's not Cuddly, or Funny, or Anything. He's a mascot for the sake of having a mascot. Everything inside the Staples center has now become an advertisement. Not like the usual stuff - like the Half Court shot to win a Toyota Tundra from Johnny Mnemonic Toyota - like during timeouts now, they'll play ads on the jumbotrons, or, have blatant ad performances on the court. They had one for some razor scooter knockoff and it was basically "Well Chuck likes riding it". They had one for swiffers that was just little kids coming out to dancing with swiffers. Some adults joined them with their own swiffers. When they were walking off the court you could see them just shaking their heads.

I'm not against sponsorships by any means, but it's really hurt going to the game. (More than recent Clipper performance has)

Rick posted:

Clippers getting the gently caress out of Staples Center (it really is the best thing for them).

I don't know that's necessarily true. It's nice to have all the LA teams in one destination (minus Dodgers). It's one of the few bits of unity this city has to it. I also think that a lot of the newer Clipper fans, the luxury box crew in particular, is still scared to go below the 10.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

verbal enema posted:

I hope no one on the Cavs goes away :c

shumpert needs to prove himself to me again that loving dropped pass killed me

not even DWill? The one who played not the one who didn't

when he was on Brooklyn there were these local cheap cell phone ads (both the ads and the service was Cheap with all the negative connotations intended) with Deron Williams that were the absolute worst commercials I've ever seen. They're not online I've searched for them a few times. It was Boost or TMobile, can't remember which. He could barely speak his lines, the concept was "I am fast and so is our cell phone service" and it had a sped up film clip of him dribbling between his legs a few times with a whoosh whoosh sound effect and then he said if you think that's fast try this cell phone. I don't immediately have words for how bad his reading of his lines was.

companies usually upload their own commercials to the internet, but this one was so bad they tried to flush it down the memory toilet. Much like DWills finals performance

edit: also, Ian Sjumpert is the worst.
SOMEONE CHANGE THE DANG THREAD TITLE TO IAN SJUMPERT IS THE WORST
I should screenshot that post

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Pretty sure the Clippers era is ending and it will be best summarized by that clip of Crisp Haul having a seizure yelling at DJ to put the loving ball in the hoop the game isn't over

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64OWlQDLFSU

y'all making me realize my standards of behavior for the megarich are so low that not blatantly coercing tens of millions of dollars in subsidies from the city that's already gifting you endless money simply for owning your status trophy team is considered Excellent Good Behavior sheesh

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 15, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

EvanTH posted:

Pretty sure the Clippers era is ending and it will be best summarized by that clip of Crisp Haul having a seizure yelling at DJ to put the loving ball in the hoop the game isn't over

Lol at DJ if it ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

RaySmuckles posted:

from what i've seen of him he's an above average SF who can go off for a lot of points. but i'm not even sold on him being a top 10 SF or if he is, he's right around there.

but maybe i'm really wrong. :shrug:

i really don't know and i'm sure him and stevens would be fun to watch together, but i don't know if that moves the needle in boston.

He's been one of the better scoring SFs over the last three years. Amazingly the #2 scoring SF in 2015 behind only LBJ. The thing that moves the needle in BOS is if LBJ goes there. Or importing a LOT of talent from the west.

Ammanas posted:

A good center plus Jimmy Butler and, assuming IT comes back from surgery in top form, that's finally competition for Cavs

DeimosRising posted:

I feel like you're gigantically overestimating the Cavs as they exist right now if you think "A Good Center"/Horford/Hayward/Butler/Thomas is just "competition" for them. I don't know what a Good Center means exactly but that's a lot better than the Cavs were this year.

What twilight zone thread am I in, are you guys just totally unfamiliar with Jimmy Butler? He went for 23.9/6.2/5.5 and 1.9 steals on .586 TS%, including .367 on 3.3 threes a game so despite his rep he has at least Lebron esque range, racking up 13.8 WS at a .236/48 pace, all on a mediocre team that played at the 20th pace in the league.

In a series against the Cavs he's the second best player on the court and not by a narrow margin. He was a great defender when he was on good teams that didn't need him to pour all his energy into offense, too. He'd be murderous on the Celitcs.

LBJ is still underrated and underappreciated. Consider how much coasting the Cavaliers did in the regular season. Yea, these superteams would win against CLE in the regular season but LBJ will dismantle some team with a "good center" along with IT/Butler.

The notion that one can throw a bunch of guys with good numbers together and defeat LBJ in the playoffs. It isn't true. The 2017 finals was good evidence of that considering two elite MVPs (unlike anything found in the EC) were still threatened by LBJ. The 2004 Olympics was also excellent evidence to the same end.

:911: forget that 49 point quarter.

Paul Zuvella posted:

The gently caress? What kind of dumbass revisionist history is Lebron James and Kevin Durant not being positive contributors during their rookie years?

Durant earned 2.3 win shares despite being played out of position and Lebron had like a Vorp of 3 and winshares above 5.

LBJ was a negative scorer his initial year.

• Locked thread