Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Water Resistant posted:

I've wondered who guards the people in the colonies to ensure they do the work. It seems like any guard sent there would inevitably die too, so do they just send a portion of their military to die?

Wouldn't be surprised if they sent some Aunts to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Water Resistant posted:

I've wondered who guards the people in the colonies to ensure they do the work. It seems like any guard sent there would inevitably die too, so do they just send a portion of their military to die?

i assume they would have hazmat suits/etc?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Yeah, that's how I picture it. Guardians in MOPP4 and environmentally controlled barracks overseeing unprotected decon crews with their skin sloughing off and stuff.
:smith:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What kind of spill is it? I don't think MOPP4 protects against nuclear.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

What kind of spill is it? I don't think MOPP4 protects against nuclear.

A wizard did it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Pocket Billiards posted:

The professor is kind of patronising. The message/account of Offred's takes a back seat to the Professor's own ideas and interpretations. The epilogue is a jab at academia.

I recall one bit where he was talking about the victims of the regime and said something with a tone like "they were educated - well, as "educated" as anyone in America could have been in the mid-1980s!" *chuckles echo from the audience* kind of thing.

It's a form of Juvenoia.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 13, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

withak posted:

A wizard did it.

I guess I'll just check it out with my wizard eyes.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library
No baby for you, Serena Joy!!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Remember when I said they wouldn't show Serena taunting June with Hannah because they're trying to make the character more sympaBOY HOWDY THAT WAS WRONG

That salvaging scene tho...

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
I totally lost my poo poo and started crying when Luke showed up at the refugee centre for Moira, because he put her on his family alert list

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Fred is gonna get himself shot in the second season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That finale was goddamn amazing.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Bamabalacha posted:

I totally lost my poo poo and started crying when Luke showed up at the refugee centre for Moira, because he put her on his family alert list

Yeah. I've also never cheered louder for a licence plate.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Holy poo poo, what an emotional roller-coaster! I have one question though, I had my eyes closed because I'm squeamish: what did they do to the dude that was convicted of loving around with Jeanine?

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust

remigious posted:

Holy poo poo, what an emotional roller-coaster! I have one question though, I had my eyes closed because I'm squeamish: what did they do to the dude that was convicted of loving around with Jeanine?

"if thy hand offends thee"

if you're squeamish AT ALL don't go back and watch it, it looked like an instructional film

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bamabalacha posted:

Yeah that hit me pretty hard too :unsmith:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Was that where the book ends minus the epilogue or did they cut out a chunk for season 2?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
N/m

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Spacebump posted:

Was that where the book ends minus the epilogue or did they cut out a chunk for season 2?

Pretty much. season 2 should be more or less entirely new material. The slight difference is that in the book, Nick flat out claims to be in Mayday, rather than just saying "Trust me".

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Pleasing Shape posted:

"if thy hand offends thee"

if you're squeamish AT ALL don't go back and watch it, it looked like an instructional film

That sequence was great -- it was just as clean and sterile as the OR. Just a cold, dispassionate procedure.

All in all, a great first season. As much as I'm looking forward to more, I hope they have a clear plan. Three or four seasons is more than enough to work through the fates of Gilead and all the key players, and I don't want them to invent unnecessary drama just to drag it out.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Mrs. Waterford has a heart of loving ice. I lost it when she drove June to see her daughter. I can't imagine being able to see my kid, but being able to talk to them. Way to stress out your newly pregnant slave.

I'm really excited to see how they're going to expand on the book material.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Serena using Offred's daughter as leverage was handled better in the book I thought. I'm not saying she wasn't a vindictive piece of poo poo in the earlier episodes but they dialed it up to 11 for the finale holy poo poo.

Couldn't tell you the last thing I saw on a television series that was as moving as Moira and Luke reuniting.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Show is good and I'm ready for s2

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol that Feeling Good scene felt really misguided. you're still rape slaves with no agency but at least you didn't have to kill your friend! empowerment!

most of the finale was real good though. some scenes actually lived up to that hard to watch hyperbole people loved to throw around. Serena Joy is such a piece of poo poo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure if they actually had been compelled to kill Janine I would have started crying and never, ever stopped.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Escobarbarian posted:

lol that Feeling Good scene felt really misguided. you're still rape slaves with no agency but at least you didn't have to kill your friend! empowerment!

most of the finale was real good though. some scenes actually lived up to that hard to watch hyperbole people loved to throw around. Serena Joy is such a piece of poo poo

Revolts begin with small actions.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are people just speculating on the existence of a second season? I thought it was one and done, it lines up more or less exactly with the ending of the book. For there to be another season they'd have to create it out of whole cloth, there's no story left in Atwood's novel to adapt.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
what the gently caress is with the terrible scoring on this show

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Insect Court posted:

Are people just speculating on the existence of a second season? I thought it was one and done, it lines up more or less exactly with the ending of the book. For there to be another season they'd have to create it out of whole cloth, there's no story left in Atwood's novel to adapt.

They announced Season 2 about a week ago, Margaret Atwood is helping them write it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The Insect Court posted:

That would have been a really lovely ending to a solo season show.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

GobiasIndustries posted:

That would have been a really lovely ending to a solo season show.

Yeah, who would ever want to hear a story with an ending like this.

I'm calling that season 2 uses the epilogue conference as a bookend.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Escobarbarian posted:

My thoughts exactly. Liked pretty much the entire episode except for the end of the Salvaging and the Feeling Good scene, which I thought was excruciating. In previous episodes they've used incongruous music choices fairly well, but here it felt entirely bathetic.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
You take your victories where you can, it was the first open collective act of defiance taken by the handmaids in Gilead and June led it.

Maybe it was a touch too upbeat but the sentiment was clear, before the stoning ceremony they were just a random assortment of women driven into a similar situation, they came out of it united and with a clear leader.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 15, 2017

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
thought this show had 12 episodes. rip!!

withak posted:

I'm calling that season 2 uses the epilogue conference as a bookend.

is this a book spoiler? what conference?

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

precision posted:

Pretty much. season 2 should be more or less entirely new material. The slight difference is that in the book, Nick flat out claims to be in Mayday, rather than just saying "Trust me".

One other minor difference is I don't think they did a test, so June only had the "feeling" she was pregnant (that's if I'm remembering correctly). And I can't remember if she'd told Nick. I felt a lot more positive about her trusting him in the show.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Big Bug Hug posted:

One other minor difference is I don't think they did a test, so June only had the "feeling" she was pregnant (that's if I'm remembering correctly). And I can't remember if she'd told Nick. I felt a lot more positive about her trusting him in the show.

Her period was late after the first ceremony.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

ex post facho posted:

what the gently caress is with the terrible scoring on this show

It's a solid 70% type show in my mind

100% anytime Ann Dowd is onscreen. Seriously, if you'd told me a few years ago that one of my favorite actors would be the middle aged, secondary character, insane lady from True Detective I wouldn't have believed you.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You take your victories where you can, it was the first open collective act of defiance taken by the handmaids in Gilead and June led it.

Maybe it was a touch too upbeat but the sentiment was clear, before the stoning ceremony they were just a random assortment of women driven into a similar situation, they came out of it united and with a clear leader.

It's really the scoring that bothered me. It made the tone a little too upbeat. Wasn't really down with the All-American Girl song at the end of the episode too.

Overall I dug this season but the scripting was probably the weakest point which is never a good sign :(

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
What happens to wives when commanders die? Is there a special institution for venerable widows? Where they are expected to pray around the clock like nuns? Maybe the Aunts are widows found to be especially strong believers? Or are widows more or less supposed to want to follow their husbands to the grave? I guess their children would be taken from them and placed with new commanders?

So Daniel was punished harshly because his wife wanted him to be? Meaning wives have a wee bit more power than I thought. But on the other hand, wouldn't Daniel take this out on his wife at the first opportunity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Margaret Atwood is helping them write it.

yessssssss

• Locked thread