Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nscGRxzH2gg

Album number seven is right around the corners with Queens of the Stone Age announcing "Villains".

http://www.qotsa.com/

They've updated their site to be a semi-interactive TV. The above video was just posted, and previews a new song called "Feet Don't Fail Me Now".

Frankly, my hopes are high. Era Vulgaris had incredible hype for me, and despite me building it up in my head, it became one of my favorite albums. Then ...Like Clockwork was announced, and I thought it couldn't top that. And they did. So hopefully for me they can pull off that magic three times in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Hopefully this one has more lines about blowing your load.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

IUG posted:

So hopefully for me they can pull off that magic three times in a row.
Or seven times in a row.

Based on Feet Don't Fail Me Now, I'm convinced it will be.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I wasn't the biggest fan of Lullabies to Paralyze. Little Sister didn't really do it for me as much as it did for everyone else. Otherwise I would have started the streak at Rated R.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So stoked for this. Haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but I'm on pins and needles.

Mark Ronson is a really interesting choice for a producer. Obviously he's cut his teeth on pop music and DJ-type stuff, but Uptown Special is really a hell of a record,. He obviously knows his way around quite a few styles of music including '70s-influenced guitar rock, which isn't totally foreign to QOTSA.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The video was hilarious but such a tease. The song sounds amazing though, can't wait to hear the whole thing and the rest of the album.

Queens are my favorite band, and Josh is just the best. For those who haven't had the chance to see them in concert, get tickets this tour. They don't tour often because of engagements with other artists (Josh with Iggy, etc.) and they are INCREDIBLE live. Josh has the most infectious energy and dances the entire night, and they play huge set lists every time.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I loving love QOTSA and I'm super stoked for this. Like Clockwork was excellent — my second favourite album by them after Lullabies To Paralyse.

I'm one of the weirdos who really can't get into self-titled or Rated R that much.

New single sounds dope and I always like what Mark Ronson does :3:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sir Lemming posted:

So stoked for this. Haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but I'm on pins and needles.

Mark Ronson is a really interesting choice for a producer. Obviously he's cut his teeth on pop music and DJ-type stuff, but Uptown Special is really a hell of a record,. He obviously knows his way around quite a few styles of music including '70s-influenced guitar rock, which isn't totally foreign to QOTSA.
Yeah, this is what's got my curiosity super high (aside from there finally being a new QOTSA album!). He isn't at all who I'd expect to produce something for them, but he said they're his favorite rock band and he's produced the hell out of other genres, so maybe it could work? We'll see I guess!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Like Clockwork didn't really hook me. I should give it more listens. I didn't realize it's been 4 years. I missed the first few songs including Avon when I saw em but they played Fun Machine Took a poo poo and Died. I was obsessed w that song in winter of 07 and from then on.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

The video was hilarious but such a tease. The song sounds amazing though, can't wait to hear the whole thing and the rest of the album.

Queens are my favorite band, and Josh is just the best. For those who haven't had the chance to see them in concert, get tickets this tour. They don't tour often because of engagements with other artists (Josh with Iggy, etc.) and they are INCREDIBLE live. Josh has the most infectious energy and dances the entire night, and they play huge set lists every time.

I second this. Have seen them thrice so far---once for their self-titled album tour, and twice for the Like Clockwork tour. Was happy to hear poo poo like The Bronze and Misfit Love on the latter shows, and also see The Kills/Brody Dalle open for them in Barclays. They are without a doubt the best loving live band I've ever seen in a decade's worth of concerts.

I have no idea how they'll top Like Clockwork but the sample from Feet Don't Fail Me sounds loving incredible. They're that rare band that has only gotten better and better so I'm stoked for them to tour again.

Clyfe
Mar 21, 2013
Calling it now, this Album will be nowhere near as dark as "Like Clockwork"...Josh was a cheery hot mess the last time I saw him.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Clyfe posted:

Calling it now, this Album will be nowhere near as dark as "Like Clockwork"...Josh was a cheery hot mess the last time I saw him.

I sure hope not, I don't think I could take another one that dark. I'd start worrying. I mean, there's darker stuff out there, but it means more when it's coming from someone who usually keeps it lighter. Of course, the first time I ever listened to it was the day after my then-fiancee left for a 10-week internship in Arizona, so I was definitely in the "right" place emotionally for the album to really hit me. (Although a few weeks later, I finally experienced the joy of listening to Songs For The Deaf on a road trip through the desert.)

It took me a while to fully appreciate Like Clockwork, and it still doesn't get as much play as anything from the first 3 albums, but it was definitely a success in my book. I think it's the album that finally got me to really accept that they're never going to make another Songs For The Deaf, and that QOTSA at this point is basically whatever Josh Homme wants it to be. The old sound is still there in small doses on tracks like "My god is the Sun" and "I Appear Missing", but I don't suppose it would be possible or even good if they made a whole album in that style again.

In retrospect I think the album that's aged least well is Era Vulgaris; I still consider it a better album than Lullabies To Paralyze, which was somewhat bloated, but something about​ the lo-fi aesthetic of it often turns me off from wanting to listen to it. I think Them Crooked Vultures ultimately turned out to be a better version of what they were going for. (Although I personally like to tack on the bonus tracks "Fun Machine" and "Running Joke" which helps it quite a bit.)

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 15, 2017

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Thanks for making this thread - I'm psyched for this album. ...Like Clockwork is a really solid record. Josh Homme's ouvre is generally so consistently good that I find it pretty difficult to rank it in the previous albums... Self Titled and Songs for the Deaf are probably still my favorites, ultimately. Songs for the Deaf, specifically, is the album that got me into heavy music in high school. Fifteen years ago!

Here's a cool live version of "Vampyre Of Time And Memory", which I think actually prefer to the studio version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3gDC-HxYZI

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Clyfe posted:

Josh has said repeatedly that Like Clockwork was a period of struggle and that the new album would be the dawn after the darkness, to paraphrase it. I'm 100% certain this record will be nothing like the previous one, which was definitely a product of a certain time and place.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Has anyone mentioned yet that the album title probably confirms that this new song played solo last year will likely be on the album? — Villains of Circumstance (song starts properly at about 1:28)

(Oh it'll probably be a full-band version on the album.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Seems likely, as virtually every QOTSA album has included songs that appeared previously in other forms. (Clockwork perhaps being the only exception.)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

Seems likely, as virtually every QOTSA album has included songs that appeared previously in other forms. (Clockwork perhaps being the only exception.)

reminds me how Desert Sessions was basically the "prototype" space where things like Avon, Make It Wit Chu, and Millionaire were played before getting cleaned up.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just tried Mondo Generator (a little too punk for me), and Tension Head is on that.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

In retrospect I think the album that's aged least well is Era Vulgaris; I still consider it a better album than Lullabies To Paralyze, which was somewhat bloated, but something about​ the lo-fi aesthetic of it often turns me off from wanting to listen to it. I think Them Crooked Vultures ultimately turned out to be a better version of what they were going for. (Although I personally like to tack on the bonus tracks "Fun Machine" and "Running Joke" which helps it quite a bit.)

My main problem with EV is that a lot of the songs sound like too many ideas slapped together without actually fitting. There's like four separate songs in 3's and 7's. I know it's Josh's "thing" but it just didn't mesh well here. The style works at times (Make It Wit Chu, the White Wedding cover and Fun Machine) but I don't think it's a coincidence those songs appeared in other forms first.

On a Josh related note, I saw American Valhalla the other night, the Josh/Andreas Neumann co-directed documentary about Post Pop Depression and I'd highly recommend it if it's playing near you - Andreas was at my showing and he wasn't sure if it was getting a proper home media release so catch it if you can. He also mentioned there's gonna be a proper coffee table book with all the pictures from the project and a recording of the first Iggy/Josh show out later this year which is meant to be the end of the project.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
The Way You Used to Do is really great, y'all

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Here's a link to the new single.

http://antiquiet.com/music/2017/06/qotsa-strut-into-the-haunted-house-on-the-way-you-used-to-do/

(I won't get to listen to it until after work.)

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Not a bad song, I wish the guitars were a little heavier instead of the tinny lo-fi thing, but I don't dislike it.

Album isn't coming out until August 25 - later than I'd anticipated. I suppose they'll drop another single before the release?

Edit: After listening a couple more times, I think I actually quite like the song, but I'm still not thrilled with the production.

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 15, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

I second this. Have seen them thrice so far---once for their self-titled album tour, and twice for the Like Clockwork tour. Was happy to hear poo poo like The Bronze and Misfit Love on the latter shows, and also see The Kills/Brody Dalle open for them in Barclays. They are without a doubt the best loving live band I've ever seen in a decade's worth of concerts.

I have no idea how they'll top Like Clockwork but the sample from Feet Don't Fail Me sounds loving incredible. They're that rare band that has only gotten better and better so I'm stoked for them to tour again.

I was at that show too, like 4 rows from the stage. Incredible concert. Best part was Josh seeing a girl on her boyfriend's shoulders and going "Hey honey! Glad you're having fun. I'm sure some people are mad at you for blocking their view but gently caress 'em, this is a Queens concert, you can do whatever the gently caress you want!" Then immediately asking if someone had a cigarette and lighting up on stage.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

http://store.matadorrecords.com/villains

Double post, but you can pre-order the album through Matador Records to get to be the first people to buy tickets for the upcoming tour.

quote:

Customers ordering any format off the Matador store are entitled to Jump The Q when ordering tickets for the upcoming tour, visit http://presale.qotsa.com for info and access. Promotion ends June 18th at 11:59pm EST. **

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

IUG posted:

Here's a link to the new single.

http://antiquiet.com/music/2017/06/qotsa-strut-into-the-haunted-house-on-the-way-you-used-to-do/

(I won't get to listen to it until after work.)
Yeah, I don't know about this one. It sounds a little too standard and poppy for me. The Queens stuff I enjoy the most is weirder and more experimental. This almost sounds like it was specifically made to fit one of those old iPod commercials, if that makes sense.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I've listened to it a few times now and I'm not really finding anything that stand-out or interesting in it which is a bit disappointing. I really enjoyed Like Clockwork, hopefully other songs on the new album are a little more weird and interesting.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

It says right in that link that they've heard the album and that is the poppiest song on it.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

It says right in that link that they've heard the album and that is the poppiest song on it.

I didn't see that! That's encouraging. It's going to suck to wait over two more months for this album.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Song's good production's bad

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I got a feeling that this is gonna be a great album to dance with your mistress to in a dive bar

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Song rules Queens rule Hail Satan

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

wow, madison square garden concert? that's a first for the band if I'm not mistaken. they've really hit the big time.

song sounds like it's got shades of Eagles of Death Metal mishmashed with The Strokes. Getting feels of Rated R.

The "Feet Dont Fail Me" sounds like more of the sludge we're used to but I love how both of these sound so far.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I like the song!

Here's the album tracklist by the way:

1. "Feet Don't Fail Me" - 5:41
2. "The Way You Used To Do" - 4:34
3. "Domesticated Animals" - 5:20
4. "Fortress" - 5:27
5. "Head Like a Haunted House" - 3:21
6. "Un-Reborn Again" - 6:40
7. "Hideaway" - 4:18
8. "The Evil Has Landed" - 6:30
9. "Villains of Circumstance" - 6:09
Total length: 46:04

So yeah, only 9 songs sucks but at least the majority of them look like they'll be lengthy, sexy jams :h:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

wow, madison square garden concert? that's a first for the band if I'm not mistaken. they've really hit the big time.

song sounds like it's got shades of Eagles of Death Metal mishmashed with The Strokes. Getting feels of Rated R.

The "Feet Dont Fail Me" sounds like more of the sludge we're used to but I love how both of these sound so far.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to how much those tickets are going to cost me on Tuesday. Oh well!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Wasn't sure what to expect when I heard it was a pretty poppy song, but I really like it. At the very least, I'll take it over "Little Sister" any day. Definitely walks a fine line between rock and pop, from a production standpoint. I think it's right on the line, though I understand why some wouldn't see it that way. I think what does it for me is that despite the pop veneer, there's a lot of guitar (and bass) work and you can hear it all very distinctly. It's not the indistinct glossy mush that I associate with "bad" pop.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Josh and Nick Oliveri are ok again I think. Will he ever team up with John Garcia again, though? Only time will tell. Kyuss was so fuckin good.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

I like the song!

Here's the album tracklist by the way:

1. "Feet Don't Fail Me" - 5:41
2. "The Way You Used To Do" - 4:34
3. "Domesticated Animals" - 5:20
4. "Fortress" - 5:27
5. "Head Like a Haunted House" - 3:21
6. "Un-Reborn Again" - 6:40
7. "Hideaway" - 4:18
8. "The Evil Has Landed" - 6:30
9. "Villains of Circumstance" - 6:09
Total length: 46:04

So yeah, only 9 songs sucks but at least the majority of them look like they'll be lengthy, sexy jams :h:

cool track names. I believe we heard parts of that last song on the internet once or twice, sounded like a really beautiful end-credits thing that would have been right at home on the tail end of Like Clockwork as well.

vandalism posted:

Josh and Nick Oliveri are ok again I think. Will he ever team up with John Garcia again, though? Only time will tell. Kyuss was so fuckin good.

Nick did ask if he could do the bass for the last album but Josh took the loyalty route and went onward with Mike Shuman.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

GonSmithe posted:

I saw them here in Sydney 2008 on the Era Vulgaris tour and it was a non-stop balls to the wall 3 hour show. They really give it their all.

Can't believe I missed out on tickets for next months show :(

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

vandalism posted:

I think at this point the rift between him and John is a bigger deal than the Nick thing, which from the sound of things was basically over by the end of 2005. I recall Nick saying positive things about Era Vulgaris, and of course then he ended up doing a guest spot on Like Clockwork, which in typical QOTSA fashion was basically inaudible.

• Locked thread