Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o8IcA66K9A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Eurogamer on BG&E2.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-15-beyond-good-and-evil-2-lets-you-create-your-own-character

This sounds terrible.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
I've been stocking up on vitamins and poo poo. I gotta stay healthy and make sure I don't die before I play Super Mario Odyssey.

Also holy poo poo I'm loving all these misspellings.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm sad that there's basically no hits for "super mario ulysses".

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

*taps foot*

*snaps finger*

Odyssey, yes please

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Super Mario Oedipus

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Hmm.

What's an appropriate smilie to top this information off with?

:thunk:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Ubisoft is pretty decent at coming across as fairly endearing while still actually sucking rear end

it's pretty much why people say they have a "great E3" every year and then all those games they showed off end up sucking hard

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
when's the treehouse startin'

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/oaEwDG5.mp4

Like 3 hours from now the Treehouse will start up. Hope you're looking forward to more 3DS reveals (Which probably says a lot about the future of the platform that 3DS games were not part of the E3 Direct)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I think pushing the 3DS announcements to Treehouse streams is just Nintendo being smart about its messaging. People were hungry for Switch news, so that's exclusively what they delivered in the Direct; for the fans, here's hours upon hours of info and extended demos of what's coming to our 6 year old handheld.

(The real damning thing about the 3DS' future in the Direct was announcing the next mainline Pokemon title will go to the Switch. RIP Nintendo's dedicated handheld systems.)

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I doubt there will be any 3DS announcements as big as Metroid, but I could see something better and more exciting than Sushi Striker finishing up the reveals. Maybe a portable Sonic Mania or something.

The 3DS isn't dead yet, but with the emphasis on the Switch being both a home console and a portable unit, making the "switch" to a single platform makes sense. It unifies their consumer base and lets developers focus on one thing, building a bigger library. Plus, it means our handheld games get prettier. I'm looking forward to better looking Pokemon and Bravely Defaults and the like.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 15, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I don't know why Metroid 2 wasn't announced during the E3 Direct, like that seems like a pretty huge game that you'd want to showcase.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Those eurogamer gits don't display the page when adblock is enabled. Care to summarize/quote? I refuse to disable adblock for these suckers.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Suspicious Cook posted:

I doubt there will be any 3DS announcements as big as Metroid, but I could see something better and more exciting than Sushi Striker finishing up the reveals. Maybe a portable Sonic Mania or something.

Respect Sushi Striker

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Infinitum posted:

I don't know why Metroid 2 wasn't announced during the E3 Direct, like that seems like a pretty huge game that you'd want to showcase.

nintendo always makes weird decisions like this. it's kind of funny this time because leading with a new Metroid, even a 3DS one, would have won them so much favor immediately

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I was hoping a Mario game would do this, but they finally got rid of extra lives. You just lose 10 coins if you die in Odyssey.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I was hoping a Mario game would do this, but they finally got rid of extra lives. You just lose 10 coins if you die in Odyssey.

people usually had like 50 to 100 lives in Galaxy 2 anyway so it was just a matter of time. The games have moved on from lives to checkpoints for gauging progress and how much of it you lose upon failure.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Hopper posted:

Those eurogamer gits don't display the page when adblock is enabled. Care to summarize/quote? I refuse to disable adblock for these suckers.

this is totally no man's sky 2 lol posted:

Ubisoft has unveiled loads of new details about Beyond Good & Evil 2 and it sounds like it's going to rival No Man's Sky as the most ambitious game of its era. Based on how close it comes to achieving its cosmic pitch, it will either be the greatest game ever or a massive disappointment. Either way, it will make Peter Molyneux's grandiose ambitions sound tame in comparison. Strap in!

First thing's first: Beyond Good & Evil 2 will let you create your own character. You can choose to be male or female, series creator Michel Ancel confirmed in the Ubisoft Blog's report, and a behind closed doors tech demo saw the player character represented by the monkey man from the trailer, Knox. As we hoped, that jetpack isn't just for show.

But what's really going to set Beyond Good & Evil 2 apart from its predecessor - and almost any game that's ever existed - is its comically lofty sense of scale.

Ancel boasted that Beyond Good & Evil 2 will feature an entire procedurally-generated star system that's so complex that even the planets will rotate around the sun, creating simulated sunsets.

"There is a simulation of the universe, where everything is rotating in the classical way, so if you change the time you see the rotation," Ancel stated. "If you know what a sunset is, a sunset is modification of the colour of the sun depending on the angle in the atmosphere. So it's really logical, in fact, that you can see different colours."

That sounds like a neat parlour trick, but arguably more impressive is that BG&E2 will feature lots of fine detail in its smaller scale objects like buildings, characters and equipment. "Every centimeter needs to be very precise," Ancel said.

Much like No Man's Sky before it, Ancel promised that you'll be able to seamlessly travel from the surface to outer space as it's all connected in this ominously expansive sandbox.

While Hello Games managed to get intergalactic space travel right, its universe was a barren one, largely devoid of life and purpose. BG&E2, however, will feature that stuff.

"Cities can grow by themselves, they can be destroyed, they can connect to others," Ancel said. "Everything is alive, in fact, it's not pre-scripted.

"Even us, we don't know exactly what's on this planet. We know there are things, but we don't know exactly where they are, we don't know exactly what it is."

While the star system BG&E2 is set in will be procedurally-generated, the actual quests will be authored scenarios in a similar manner to its perennial predecessor.

"I would say the adventure system is classic," Ancel said. "It's simple, but you have a lot of freedom in the way of solving things. So it's interesting to imagine a game where you can decide to do this or that, and the order is not that much important, and the way you manage the problems is your way of playing."

In this way it sounds rather similar to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, where you have an overall quest and some authored chapters along the way, but how you go about conquering these challenges is entirely up to you.

This way players can discuss how they solved certain scenarios because they'll all face some of the same challenges. An example Ancel gave is busting a crew member out of prison - a quest everyone will receive, even if the details are different.

"You will have different possible decisions, of course, but there is a structure. You can compare to each other what you've done," Ancel explained.

Further drawing a connection to Zelda was Ancel saying "You see mountains in the distance, there is something, a city, something that is attracting you, you can go there. Maybe it's very dangerous, but you can try to go there." That sounds awfully familiar...

Previously the publisher teased that "you can play alone or with friends" and that this prequel would feature "robust online systems", though that's never mentioned here. Perhaps this multiplayer tease didn't mean full co-op after all, but rather more mild forms of online integration along the lines of leaderboards or Dark Souls' limited co-op instances. Quite frankly, this game sounds bloated enough without multiplayer, so let's move on.

Ancel made it clear that while the player will create their own character, the supporting cast will be fleshed out by the developer.

When asked about the cast of the previous game, narrative director Gabrielle Shrager explained that this prequel is set "about a generation before Jade was born," though Ancel suggested we may see some familiar faces.

"They are here, or their ancestors are here," said Ancel of Beyond Good & Evil's cast. "You don't play them, but they are in the world, and they are key to making this world unique... the DNA will be there. Plus it's not a reboot, it's a prequel, so you will discover a lot of information about those characters."

As far as the lore is concerned, the developer explained that BG&E2 is set in a future where China and India became superpowers in the 22nd century and started making human/animal hybrids as a source of slave labour. This explains the Ganesh statue in the demo as these oppressed animal people took to the stars and formed their own religions which may be loosely based around those of their earthling ancestors.

While it's not clear what the overall plot will be, it sounds like a rags to riches tale of a penniless wayfarer who works their way up to being a "legendary space pirate" with a huge ship and crew that will allow them to brave the solar system's most dangerous challenges

Ultimately Ancel said that the theme of the game is "travel".

"You travel, you discover cultures. And you take that, and you are richer because of this travel," Ancel stated. On that note, since Ancel himself doesn't have time to tour the world talking to every BG&E fan he meets, he wants people to offer their own perspectives and desires for the game by signing up for the fan forum Space Monkey Program.

Beyond Good & Evil 2 will be out on unannounced platforms before our sun ceases to exist, probably

They're basically promising everything and will likely deliver nothing. Also for some reason the quote Eurogamer decided to highlight was "we know there are things"

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

DLC Inc posted:

people usually had like 50 to 100 lives in Galaxy 2 anyway so it was just a matter of time. The games have moved on from lives to checkpoints for gauging progress and how much of it you lose upon failure.

It was a good decision they could have made a long time ago, but I wonder if the green 1-up mushrooms will be used for anything, because I would sure miss them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I just have to laugh at the "oh there's fun animal people" thing from the first game is now "EDGY GENETICALLY MODIFIED SLAVE LABOUR", and the theme of the game has changed from "liberating the world by investigative reporting" to "travel". I wonder if there'll be a strip club.

I don't understand how they managed to be simultaneously stupidly ambitious yet tediously bland.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 15, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's starting to sound more and more like Ubisoft had Michel Ancel working on this No Man's Sky-type procedurally-generated game and just decided to slap the Beyond Good & Evil name on it.

Just, like, make another cool action-adventure game. That's all anybody wanted. You could do it for a lower budget like the UbiArt games that Ubisoft Montpelier already makes a bunch of. People would be thrilled. Instead, they're going to promise the world and deliver Spore 3: This Time We'll Promise Even More.

I guess best case scenario this turns out like the first Fable: promise all these hilariously ambitious things and then just release a half-decent and reasonably charming action game.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I love the 2D Mario games that are on the walls that you can go into and play in Odyssey. It's such a simple but awesome idea, and I hope there will be a lot of it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:laffo: Borderlands + Duke Nukem movies in the works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5SqEFk7qjs

quote:

We’ve been developing scripts and the strategy that we’re on right now is, that it’s obviously all in the Borderlands universe, but rather than retell the stories that were in the game, we’ll create new stories so the films will have their own film canon. We’ll use all the characters and scenarios, it’s similar to what Marvel is doing. You can’t read any particular film plot in a comic book but there’s a lot of the characters, themes, and, in fact, some of the situations are represented. [...]

We’re working on [Duke Nukem]! I can’t announce it but it’s blown my mind, there’s been a lot of production companies that have come at us. We’re putting together a deal right now with a major motion picture studio; I’ll tell you off the record if you want to know. It’s the exact right people that should be doing a Duke Nukem film and we’ll see what happens. It’s unbelievable, I think that’s very likely to be a thing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
A Duke Nukem movie? :chloe:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wow that's a horrible idea.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Who is clamoring for poo poo like WoW the movie and rear end Creed the movie and now this?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

n/m

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Morby posted:

Who is clamoring for poo poo like WoW the movie and rear end Creed the movie and now this?

Warcraft was a beautiful trash fire

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
gamers spend their money on trash so movie studios want gamers

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Dukester is peak sexist 90s action hero and I don't know how you could make it without Jon St John

Morby posted:

WoW did mucho bucko in China for what it's worth.

I legit forgot WoW existed as a movie until you mentioned it again, it was not a great flick.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Suspicious Cook posted:

Sonic Mania is already portable on switch tho

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's just a shame Duncan Jones had to get his good name tarnished by that poo poo.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Michel Ancel posted:

Everything is alive, in fact, it's not pre-scripted.

That sounds to me like, "Worlds will be barren and poorly designed because they're not actually designed at all".

You can get away with things like that for simple, procedurally generated games like Crypt of the Necrodancer or Death Road to Canada, but for a big, 3D, AAA game? It sounds like this big, beautiful thing, but in practice I can almost guarantee there are going to be planets full of No Man's Sky disappointment.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Morby posted:

And why do they get what they want?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Merv Burger posted:

And why do they get what they want?

I remember seeing the trailer for the very first Pirates of the Caribbean in theaters and thinking at first there was going to be a live action Monkey Island movie.

I still want it. :colbert:

vvv The first Mortal Kombat movie was pretty good, considering. Mortal Kombat Annihilation, on the other hand, was so bad it's a gnarled curse upon the planet.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 15, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
All movies based on real video games have been cursed to be bad for eternity

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Where's my EYE DIVINE CYBERMANCY movie?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Ace Attorney movie was pretty good,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Imagined posted:

It's just a shame Duncan Jones had to get his good name tarnished by that poo poo.

It was a horrendous story

But it was pretty good CG, did have attention to detail, and for the most part followed the plot of the original Warcraft games.

Didn't help that the first 10min was literally bouncing all over the place just to get the fan service shots in.
Now we're in Ironforge
Now we're in Goldshire
Onwards to Stormwind
We're in The Stockades now I guess?
Ok over Karazhan
BACK TO STORMWIND!

• Locked thread