Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Wirth1000 posted:

So the RAM is running at 2133, blargh.

You've updated the bios right? Our motherboards are identical except yours is done up in flashy colours, so I'd be surprised if it didn't work :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Measly Twerp posted:

You've updated the bios right? Our motherboards are identical except yours is done up in flashy colours, so I'd be surprised if it didn't work :/

I was going to but I got warned off by ASRock's little message about how I really shouldn't if my system is already stable and given all the horror stories I've read so far about this brand new spanking architecture I kind of held off. I might just do that now though.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Wirth1000 posted:

I was going to but I got warned off by ASRock's little message about how I really shouldn't if my system is already stable and given all the horror stories I've read so far about this brand new spanking architecture I kind of held off. I might just do that now though.

I updated to 1002 on the Crosshair Hero VI and it wouldn't boot from full shutdown anymore after that :gonk:

Reflashed back to 9002 until I have more troubleshooting time.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Deuce posted:

I updated to 1002 on the Crosshair Hero VI and it wouldn't boot from full shutdown anymore after that :gonk:

Reflashed back to 9002 until I have more troubleshooting time.

I'm going to hold off lol

Right now minus the underclocked RAM everything is running beautifully with no issues. I think I'll savour that for a bit before I take anymore gambles.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

In true AMD fashion, they've released the Zen software optimization guide... over 3 months after Zen launched.

http://support.amd.com/TechDocs/55723_SOG_Fam_17h_Processors_3.00.pdf

Better late than never I suppose v:v:v

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It's late, yeah, but in general AMD's platfrom and CPU documentation is usually phenomenal. There's a night and day difference between what's in the publicly-available Intel developer manuals and the publicly-available AMD developer manuals.

AMD's BIOS and Kernel Development Guides are incredible. You can literally write firmware for their platforms with them, whereas if you want to do something even remotely similar with Intel you better be a board partner.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
This, I assume, is a great boon to the OpenBIOS/Libreboot people.

eames
May 9, 2009

I'm pretty annoyed by AMD's support, there's a well documented KVM related bug that needs to be fixed. Their PR guide forwarded my mail to tech support person, he escalated my ticket twice after sending me the usual copy & paste responses and then they went silent again.
At this point I suspect the bug is in the silicone because they won't even acknowledge it. :(

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
...silicon, eames. Silicone Valley is in SoCal.

eames
May 9, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Whoops, well yeah, that. :kiddo:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

repiv posted:

In true AMD fashion, they've released the Zen software optimization guide... over 3 months after Zen launched.

Doesn't say anything about optimizing for multiple CCXes though.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Silicone valley is also a line of BBW and SSBBW inspired pocket pussies, though you'd need one of those JNCO pants from the 90s to actually fit it in a pocket.

Edit: The marketing department is having issues coming up with a new name, the front runner is backpack bubble butt, but so far it hasn't gained much ground.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 15, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Silicone valley is also a line of BBW and SSBBW inspired pocket pussies, though you'd need one of those JNCO pants from the 90s to actually fit it in a pocket.

Edit: The marketing department is having issues coming up with a new name, the front runner is backpack bubble butt, but so far it hasn't gained much ground.

Headripper

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Wirth1000 posted:

Posting from my new Ryzen 5 1600X + B350 build mothafuckas. This is pretty spiffy.

Gratz, by the way. High-clocked 6C12T is bitchin' for any sort of encoding or productivity work.

How much memory did you manage to get to boot? Are you running 2 sticks per channel or 1?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Just 2 sticks of 8gb each in my A2 and B2 slots.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

By the way please consider this prosecution exhibit #50 of a billion that AMD was not ready to launch Zen and will not have any sort of effective silicon stepping revision available anytime this year (eg some people think Threadripper might be on a new stepping, which implies taping out as Ryzen was preparing to launch). If you don't understand what coding practices work well on your processor, how in the world would you actually revise the silicon?

I mean Ryzen+ is going to be baller, as will consumer mobos with real ECC support (if Asrock does a mATX board with ECC and a bunch of SATA ports I'm buying that so fast) but I don't think it can hit before next year even with an ASAP turnaround, and even Q1 might be a rush.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

it's a hell of a showing for 90% finished architecture, though. i can see why they wanted to release it early, other than that stockholders etc etc

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it's a hell of a showing for 90% finished architecture, though. i can see why they wanted to release it early, other than that stockholders etc etc

Oh, I agree. AMD needs a comeback story and overall the release has been just that.

But overall do you think that AMD was in an informed position to have coherent changes to Zen taping out during the pre-launch runup? They clearly did not even understand that memory clocks were an issue. A few gentle words "we know the problem, it's patchable in software, hold on" to the reviewers would have been great, they clearly were still trying out beta BIOS builds right to the day of launch.

Again, I'm not criticizing here, things have turned out well for them, but do I think they knew what was going on let alone the hardware patches that were necessary being approved and taped out? Nah.

Zen obviously has some stupid bottlenecks that nobody foresaw and Zen+ is going to be baller once they figure it out, I bet OC and efficiency goes up quite a bit. Zen+ at 4.5 GHz with only slightly higher TDP would be fantastic.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I don't think they had a lot of other options, since their resources and budget are much more limited. Things seem to be going better now though and they're getting server customers and that's the money train they need to catch like last decade.

AMD has been operating on "chicken head cut off" mode since 2009, they're just surgically putting it back on now that Zen is out

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I don't think they had a lot of other options, since their resources and budget are much more limited. Things seem to be going better now though and they're getting server customers and that's the money train they need to catch like last decade.

AMD has been operating on "chicken head cut off" mode since 2009, they're just surgically putting it back on now that Zen is out

I don't disagree with any of this. But do you think they knew what they were changing for the tapeout in January/February so it could go to the fab in March as a new stepping while Ryzen was launching? Without a brief optimization guide?

Nah.

And that's the only way you get a Q4 2017 Ryzen+. It's really gotta be Q1 2018, possibly Q2 (they'll rush it as much as possible). Which probably means "not threadripper", at least at launch (perhaps an early series upgrade?)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 15, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

"okay we might be ready to release this by june maybe july" "uh....corporate says we're releasing march"

:supaburn:

It explains how unprepared the board partners were, too

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't disagree with any of this. But do you think they knew what they were changing for the tapeout in January/February so it could go to the fab in March as a new stepping while Ryzen was launching? Without a brief optimization guide?

Nah.

And that's the only way you get a Q4 2017 Ryzen+. It's really gotta be Q1 2018, possibly Q2 (they'll rush it as much as possible). Which probably means "not threadripper", at least at launch (perhaps an early series upgrade?)

Stop crushing my dreams of threadripper clocking higher then 4ghz you monster

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Much like most tech wait for the 1.1 revision

Can't wait for the threadripper v2 how many cores can we got on a dinner plate sized mcm

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So do we have a rule of thumb for Intel vs Ryzen IPC? Say %20-%30 in favor of Intel?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

redeyes posted:

So do we have a rule of thumb for Intel vs Ryzen IPC? Say %20-%30 in favor of Intel?

Zen is basically Broadwell, so much less than that. Kaby Lake (i7-7700K) just clocks several 100 MHz higher.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sauer kraut posted:

Zen is basically Broadwell, so much less than that. Kaby Lake (i7-7700K) just clocks several 100 MHz higher.

Huh, so like maybe %5-10?

eames
May 9, 2009

redeyes posted:

Huh, so like maybe %5-10?

yeah, sounds about right

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
i3-6100 @3.7GHz vs R7-1700 @3GHz and 3.7GHz:

I think the R7 closed the gap because of the memory clocks.

3peat
May 6, 2010

https://videocardz.com/70266/amd-epyc-7000-series-specs-and-performance-leaked

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
16 cores for $600<n<$800
guessing you can't OC epyc though

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

No news on Raven Ridge yet, eh? I need something on that front. I'm starting to self-hype looking up old Carrizo APU reviews and fantasizing about whether those Maxwell-style improvements are going to make it to R3/RMobile.

E: I missed Epyc news, I guess. Looks p. neat. Hopefully it gets AMD more money.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Man they are going after the profits hard with some of those top end chips but the lower end is surprisingly affordable for what it is. Clocks could stand to be higher but maybe they won't be terribly far behind the new Xeon's, if the leaks are correct. Getting the clock speeds up on high core count CPU's while also keeping TDP's non-stupid is tough for everyone.

If those SPEC scores hold up they'll probably still sell a fair amount of those top end chips.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

I don't know the Xeon lineup very well (the model numbering doesn't make much sense), are these fair comparisons or are they doing the CPU equivalent of comparing their pricing against a Titan while everyone is buying x80 Tis?

If fair, they're looking pretty good.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

16 cores for $600<n<$800
guessing you can't OC epyc though

I actually don't think they've ever definitively said you can overclock Threadripper let alone Epyc, just that "All Ryzen processors are unlocked".

(Ryzen is a different branding/line than Threadripper and Epyc, if they meant "all Zeppelin-die products are unlocked" then they would have said so)

eames
May 9, 2009

heise.de reports that Skylake-SP (and Skylake-X) uses a mesh (like the Xeon Phi) instead of a ringbus

machine translated link:
http://translate.google.com/transla...n&langpair=auto

e: i just realised that this is the wrong topic but I'll just leave it here because of infinity fabric :colbert:

eames fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 15, 2017

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Threadripper can be overclocked

Dell posted:

Dell will be the exclusive OEM launch partner to deliver AMD Ryzen Threadripper pre-built systems to market and the high-end 16-core processor will be factory-overclocked across all cores.
I mean, unless only factory overclocks are possible, but lmao if AMD tried that

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Threadripper can be overclocked

I mean, unless only factory overclocks are possible, but lmao if AMD tried that

Yeah, that's looking pretty solid then. Although I suppose it could always be a BCLK overclock :unsmigghh:

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
So I heard that AMD once had some of the strongest integrated graphics around. Will they be releasing anything with that?

Ultimately I guess its is a bit much to ask of it, but I've always been interested in the idea that iGPUs will eventually be strong enough that dedicated graphics will go the way of soundcards (ie relegated to specific situations that need optimized processors).

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 15, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

thechosenone posted:

Ultimately I guess its is a bit much to ask of it, but I've always been interested in the idea that iGPUs will eventually be strong enough that dedicated graphics will go the way of soundcards (ie relegated to specific situations that need optimized processors).

Sure, if you can find some way to cram dozens of gigabytes of high speed video RAM and a massive amount of cooling onto the CPU. It's a whole lot simpler to make that sort of thing work on a separate card.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Well, when I think about it, with the whole thing about them starting to make cpus stitched together from multiple parts, and the whole stacked memory thing hbm has going on, I was thinking they could almost do that.

Intel has managed to get 128 MB of eDRAM on a cpu chip, so I figured if they could go 3d ala HBM, that it could be possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
so like you could use stacked memory to get a lot of data, and stitch parts together or something, like some sort of super-chip inspired by Dr.Frankenstein.

But like, I figure if 128 MB can fit, then if you can stack it, then you could at least get a gigabyte or two. This would lead to one only needing a dGPU if they needed buttloads of memory beyond what would fit.

Wow, I guess I know how people manage to click on the quote button instead of the editing button now. I always thought it would be hard to miss that.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 15, 2017