Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
If you think bitcoin is going to be worthless you can actually bet against it though margin trading so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I have a naive question: if you can margin trade bitcoin, which a simple google search confirms is doable through a number of websites, then don't those sites need to be able to quickly buy and sell bitcoin? How are they doing that if, as this thread likes to say over and over, you can't easily cash out?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I have a naive question: if you can margin trade bitcoin, which a simple google search confirms is doable through a number of websites, then don't those sites need to be able to quickly buy and sell bitcoin? How are they doing that if, as this thread likes to say over and over, you can't easily cash out?

the margin trading sites are scams that you can't cash out of, just like the exchanges

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Computer Serf posted:

If you think bitcoin is going to be worthless you can actually bet against it though margin trading so...

You, like Ham Sandwiches, are missing the point. There's no way to know whether bitcoin will be up or down tomorrow or a week from now. The point is that the actual bitcoin system is wrought with fraud and hilariously inept security vulnerabilities, resulting in things like the huge bitfinex hack that happened last year, or popular ethereum wallet FreeWallet silently stealing $8M in user funds just a few days ago

Is the bitcoin price going to crash? I don't really know or care. If I did know I still wouldn't short it because that would require going to a place like Bitfinex, which doesn't allow cash withdrawals and could literally close their doors at any time

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
one thing that almost never gets mentioned: bitcoin is inherently unfair and promototes inequality, because early adopters were able to mine lots of coins with no effort, and are now able to sell them for lots of real dollars (if they can)

in fact the inventor of bitcoin holds the most and would be a billionaire by now, and the onyl thing he did was being the first to convince other idiots that he should be a billionaire

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Computer Serf posted:

funnily enough, weird poo poo keeps happening on the exchanges when the price drops and you want to collect

HOW DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Look guys it's easy to cash out your bitcoins, you just buy a bunch of weasel dust and sell it get high on it and rob a bunch of stores to get cash.

Computer Serf posted:

The dogecoiners were right all along.. to the moon!!!!!!

I'm familiar with log charts, but do I need red/blue stereo glasses for this chart?

Yes, we can confirm that the wheels fell off.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So what happened with cosby coin? what are those worth?

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Oh look, Bitcoin is crashing again.
Price has dropped around 18% in just 4 days.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I want investors out of bitcoin dammit!!!!

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

One of our clients at work (We do IT services) got a shakedown email last week demanding 1btc "or else" they'd spam/ddos/hack/etc them.

I just wanted to share this, because lol extorting people for loving bitcoins

Really makes you wonder why the market is the way it is. :thinkingface:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

FREE MONEY FREE

Waffle House posted:

One of our clients at work (We do IT services) got a shakedown email last week demanding 1btc "or else" they'd spam/ddos/hack/etc them.

I just wanted to share this, because lol extorting people for loving bitcoins

Really makes you wonder why the market is the way it is. :thinkingface:

we got this too

we went "LOL" and got upper mgt. to approve us spending more money on stuff, cloudflare etc

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

ITT goons struggle with the concept "buy low, sell high, don't gently caress up and do it the other way around"

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Once the shoeshine boy and the taxi driver offer stock tips, it’s time to sell.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

scott zoloft posted:

ITT goons struggle with the concept "buy low, sell high, don't gently caress up and do it the other way around"

The problem is Bitcoin is insanely volatile so you can buy low and still lose all your money

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The problem is Bitcoin is insanely volatile so you can buy low and still lose all your money

If you buy a hundred buttcoins at $2000 and the price is now $1000, you can still recover, just hold on!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

scott zoloft posted:

You're not a bitcoiner unless you buy at a peak and say "HODL" over and over while the price rollercoasters around

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

My dad just put 500 bucks down on Ether, hope it goes to the moon

Nope, it's gone to poo poo.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Ohnonotme posted:

Nope, it's gone to poo poo.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

https://www.quora.com/Is-now-still-a-good-moment-to-invest-in-Bitcoin-Ethereum-Ripple-Which-is-best-and-why-Why-not/answer/Terrence-Yang-4

Is now still a good moment to invest in Bitcoin/Ethereum/Ripple? Which is best, and why? Why not?
Terrence Yang
Terrence Yang, xWall Street VP. xMD @ $1B+ AUM fund. Berkshire 50 attendee.
Answered 5h ago

No, now is a horrible time for the vast majority of us to buy Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple. Or any cryptocurrency.

There is no way cryptocurrencies are worth anywhere near the $100 billion plus market cap they had last night.

Why?

Because there is no sustainable legal killer apps in the cryptocurrency world.

There's no moat, no pricing power.

So you're left with store of value, unrealized potential, hype, promises and code that may be worthless.

Is below the beginning of the end for the cryptocurrency bubble or just another temporary blip?

Yes, cryptocurrencies like Ethereum have a lot of potential.

Buying a $1 lottery ticket when the jackpot goes up to $500 million is a lot of potential too. That doesn’t mean your lottery ticket is worth $500 million. Or $5 million. Or $5.

The average lottery ticket is worth less than $1 because of the high margins and expenses embedded into the system.

When you overpay for a cryptocurrency, you are buying lottery tickets. Right now, with much worse odds.

So far the only legal killer apps for the cryptocurrencies you mentioned are:

Ethereum - ICO platform. This dies when the ICO bubble implodes. Ethereum is also a gateway to other coins. Meaning people usually buy Bitcoin or Ethereum with cash and then convert to a hot ICO cryptocurrency.
Bitcoin - Store of value/digital gold and gateway to other coins. Bitcoin dies if the code is somehow not secure because, e.g., quantum computing kills it.[1]It may also die if there is no real use case. Right now Bitcoin is not scaling. Transaction times, fees and unconfirmed rates keep going up and up.
Ripple - They have a good PR agency I guess.
Supposedly banks are using it but for what exactly? Anyone? And banks will just fork the open source code and build their own thing. Including trading with each other on it. I helped create several of the default swap indices traded by many banks.
When I worked for several years on Wall Street, the only things I saw that we did that was close to “open source” was work on standardizing industry deal documents such as for swaps and derivatives through International Swaps and Derivatives Association, Inc.
That said, I’m bullish on cryptocurrencies long term.

It’s a great way to help with identity management, etc.

The winner might be a cryptocurrency that isn’t even launched yet.

I hope answering the questions below will help you understand why you should be very careful about speculating or gambling in cryptocurrency. I think it's a bit disingenuous to call it investing.

Do you like to buy at or near the top? Do you panic buy? If so, you will probably panic sell.

Do you have FOMO or Fear Of Missing Out?

Do you succumb to social proof like the rest of us? If so, then you probably have some FOMO.

Most importantly, do you have an unfair advantage over all the other people buying, selling, trading and holding these cryptocurrencies?

I believe one or more cryptocurrencies will make it but that’s a guess.

And there’s a very high chance the winning cryptocurrency has not launched yet. Apple’s iPhone and Google search were latecomers.

What’s not a guess is 99.9% of cryptocurrencies are worth basically zero by any reasonable measure.

What is the evidence any of them have:

a killer app?
pricing power?
an unbreachable moat surrounding a valuable castle? (as Warren Buffett might say)
The vast majority of us should treat cryptocurrency as lottery tickets.

Just like you spend $20 or whatever at the local 7–11 or gas station when the lottery goes over $100 million, you can put a small amount of play money - money you won’t miss - on cryptocurrency.

Remember, you do not have to buy lottery tickets.

If you do buy cyrptocurrencies, just hold it and forget it.

It’ll probably go to zero.

But I believe one - possibly more - of them might change the world and finally find a legal killer app with an unbreachable moat in a massive market.

In 2007 I had relevant, legal, solid inside information because I worked on Wall Street at one of the banks that massively screwed up - Merrill Lynch.

I dumped almost all my equity positions one month off the market high.

And about 10 months before Lehman imploded, nearly taking down Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, many other institutions and causing a near-global depression.

Fast forward to 2017. I again have legal inside information. Not as great as last time.

But I even turned down a hot ICO presale I had access to.

Why?

Because I don’t really do quick flips. And I don't know when the bubble will burst.

Bottom line:

Because of the pseudonymity and decentralization, a cryptocurrency will always be useful for helping people and organizations:

launder money
bypass capital controls
do other illegal activity.
Silk Road did this, got caught. Now the Silk Road CEO is serving a life sentence in the US.

Another way to look at it is this:

You either have strong conviction present trends will continue or you don’t.

If the former, then act.

If you buy, this will help the good folks who are trying to ICO (disclosure: I am advising a new cryptocurrency investment fund (in formation) and a new cryptocurrency).

If you’re not sure present trends will continue, don’t act.

Just wait. Warren Buffett often waits a long time before making an investment.

If you think the market is overvalued right now but believe in [pick your favorite cryptocurrency] long-term, then don’t buy.

Wait.

The dot com bubble started in 1997. As you can see, there were many times to get in the NASDAQ below 2000. Until 1999 to 2001.

If you bought at just below 2000 - let’s say in 1998 - you’d be barely up in 2005. 7 years later.

So you can buy and hold. But are you buying at the peak at 5000?

What’s the point?

I don’t think you should have strong conviction after reading this and, really, anything else out there on cryptocurrency. If you do, please share.

I don’t give advice. If I were you, I might:

invest only what I can afford to lose.
avoid leverage or buying on margin.
I have had to dump stock to raise cash to help someone else I cared about meet a margin call.

I made sure that person never needed to ask me for an emergency loan ever again. :)

The world’s best investment banks with really smart traders and risk managers - Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and Merrill Lynch used leverage, had strong conviction (indeed, some of the ones responsible were quite arrogant) and nearly imploded in 2008.

What’s the killer app or apps for each right now?

I understand there’s a lot of activity.

Who cares?

I care about results.

Bitcoin has been around since 2008.

Is it like startups?

Because 99.9% of startups work hard, raise a lot of money and implode due to failing to meet unmet needs.

Webvan and Kozmo - each a poster child of the dot com bubble - both made something people want. But that’s not enough.

Delivering groceries, etc. for free is making something people love because you are massively subsidizing the costs.

“Hi, would you like to have your groceries and food delivered for free? Same cost as shopping in the store. No tipping!”

That’s not a business. That’s a VC funding your life.[2]

When you invest in cryptocurrencies, who’s life are you funding?

Are you just burning money?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Are you just burning money?

Maybe.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Real talk here are my honest and true irl opinions:

I think that one company that's using blockchains to manage a cloud storage platform where your data is encrypted, broken into chunks, and stored wherever or in any pattern that is the very cheapest at that moment and passes those savings to the customer might do pretty good in the low value-very large data storage market. Last I checked their fees were something like 1/8th of AWS.

Everything else I've seen, even 'smart contracts' seems real speculative.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Blockade posted:

I think that one company that's using blockchains to manage a cloud storage platform where your data is encrypted, broken into chunks, and stored wherever or in any pattern that is the very cheapest at that moment and passes those savings to the customer might do pretty good in the low value-very large data storage market. Last I checked their fees were something like 1/8th of AWS.

The Siacoin and the Storj

I think they're pretty good too, actually

(So sell, sell, selllllll)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

"I'll make money on this pyramid scheme but get out while the going is good" - surprisingly few people.

The banks have the right idea - lift blockchain and use it for real finance, and give bitcoiners nothing in return.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://medium.com/@WhalePanda/i-was-wrong-about-ethereum-804c9a906d36

WhalePandaFollow
Crypto OG. Talks about Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. Don’t take me too serious, unless I’m serious. Happy Panda most of the time, Sad Panda sometimes.
Jun 12
I was wrong about Ethereum

I was wrong about Ethereum because it’s such a good store of value… no wait, let me try again.
I was wrong about Ethereum because it’s such a decentra… nope.
I was wrong about Ethereum because everyone is using it as a supercomputer… No.
I do admit I didn’t see this Ethereum bubble coming, but then again I wrongly assumed that no startup would need or even dare to ask $50 million in funding and I also wrongly assumed that people would use common sense and that leading developers would speak out against this sort of practice. Quite the opposite it seems.
Ethereum’s sole use case at the moment is ICOs and token creation.

What’s driving the Ethereum price?
Greed.
Greed from speculators, investors and developers.

Can you blame them?
Speculators and investors: No.
Developers: Absolutely.
So let’s think for a minute and think what determines the price? Supply + demand. Pretty straightforward.
Supply: the tokens that are available on the market, right? But with every ICO there are more tokens that are being “locked up”. Obviously the projects will liquidate some, to get fiat to pay for development of their project, but they also see the rising price of Ethereum. So at that point greed takes over and they think, totally understandable, “We should probably just cash out what we really need and keep the rest in ETH, that’s only going up anyway it seems.”
And obviously there are new coins being mined, but if you look at the amount of ETH these ICOs raise, at this point, it’s just a drop in a bucket.
Demand: You have the normal investors (who are already very late to the game at this point… as usual), but the buy pressure that these ICOs are creating is crazy and scary. Take TenX for example, it’s an upcoming ICO at the end of the month. The cap is 200,000 ETH (at current ETH price of $370) that’s $74,000,000 for a startup. Here’s the best part: it’s only 51% of the tokens. Effectively giving it an instant $150 million valuation (if it sells out, which it probably will).
Another example is Bancor, a friend of mine runs a trading group, he collected 1,100+ BTC to put into Bancor. This needs to be converted into ETH before the sale starts. These are decent size players, but not even the big whales who participate in these ICOs.

What will the price do next?
It can go quite a bit higher, there are so many coins being taken off the market by these ICOs, that it can still continue for a while and everyone is seeing this and thinking: “Why aren’t I doing an ICO”. There are lots more coming.
At one point it will crash, hard. What the trigger will be? Bug(s) in smart contracts, major hack, big ICO startup that fails/fucks up, network split, even something as silly as not having a decent ICO for a couple of weeks which creates sell pressure from miners and ICO projects can cause a big crash. It’s not a question of “if”, it’s a question of “when”. That being said: Markets can remain irrational for quite a long time.
Usually when a bubble like this pops we could easily see 70–80% loss of value (for reference: Bitcoin went from $1,200 to $170 after 2013–2014 bubble). This is however quite the unusual situation and I’m not sure to what kind of bubble I can really compare it.
I’m sure most of you have seen “Wolf of Wall Street”. Just re-watch this clip and see if you find any similarities with the current situation. (bonus clip)

What I really find interesting is what the ICO startups will do, Bitcoin had hodlers and investors mainly, individuals who most of the time had a fulltime job and didn’t need to sell. With Ethereum there is this huge amount being held by companies who need to pay bills. Will they panic dump to secure a “healthy” amount of fiat funding, will they try to hold through a bear cycle?
Taking responsibility.
Everyone loves making money, you can’t blame traders or investors from taking advantage of this hype. That would be silly. People will buy literally anything if they can make a quick buck out of it.
The responsibility here is with the developers, Consensys and the Ethereum Foundation but they don’t take responsibility since they’re getting more money. This will end with the regulators stepping in.
The reason why I say that it’s with developers, Consensys and the Ethereum Foundation is simple:
The developers of a project assign these crazy tokensale caps, more money than any startup would ever need.
The Ethereum foundation members+ core developers use their own celeb status to actively promote these projects as advisors, for which they’re compensated well, luring in people who have no clue what they’re buying.
Consensys promotes all of this since it’s the marketing branch of Ethereum. The more fools that buy in, the better.
Let me illustrate this with an example. Have you heard of primalbase? It’s an ICO with a token for shared workspaces. Why would a shared workspace need its own token? It doesn’t, it really really really doesn’t. Let’s take a look at the advisors:

First thing that an advisor should’ve said in this case was: “Don’t do it, it’s stupid, it makes no sense.” But well there we have Mr Ethereum himself.
We all know that Vitalik has a cult-like following with the Ethereum investors so it will be very easy for primalbase to launch their ICO and use Vitalik’s face and name to get itself funded.
This is just one example, if you go through all of these ICOs you find a lot of familiar names and faces. Nothing wrong with being an advisor, but when you’re just sending people to the slaughterhouse…
The sad part is that a lot of people will lose a lot of money on this, some of them obviously more than they can afford to lose, that’s how it always goes. The regulators will step in after this bubble pops and what scares me is the fact that it will damage all of crypto, including Bitcoin, not just Ethereum and its ICO’s.

But you’re just an Ethereum hater
I’ve heard all the accusations:
I hate Ethereum because I’m a Bitcoin Maximalist. I’m not, I like other projects too, like Siacoin for example.
I hate Ethereum because I missed out. I did miss out on the crowdsale, but I traded plenty of Ethereum and it’s ICOs and made some nice profit.
I hate Ethereum because I don’t understand it. Really? Do you? The only smart contracts running on it are ICO token sales. Or contracts to buy ICO tokens the second they become available.
I hate Ethereum because I’m jealous of Vitalik. No, it’s impressive what he did at his young age. At the same time I think he’s largely responsible for this bubble and he has made a lot of mistakes. We all make mistakes, but bailing out your friends from the DAO while other hacks and losses aren’t compensated or fixed just shows total lack of integrity. Or it’s everything or it’s nothing. And when it comes to immutability in crypto, it should be nothing.
For the people that are scared that Ethereum will replace Bitcoin
Ethereum is not a store of value. It isn’t capped. Yes, I know they’re planning to switch to PoS (which it already kind of is). Do you think they managed to create the first software implementation ever without any bugs? Doing such a major change on a (currently) $30 billion market is completely irresponsible, borderline insanity. Even if we assume that there are no bugs, what about the miners? The miners who bought their equipment to mine Ethereum, the miners that supported the network for years. “But they knew we were switching to PoS.” Of course they knew, and do you think they’ll just give up on such a profitable coin? Some might switch immediately to Zcash and Ethereum Classic but there will be another fork and we’ll have ETHPoS and ETHPoW, with of course all the Ethereum tokens being on both chains. Even Ethereum developers think that his is a very likely scenario.
Ethereum’s fees are lower. They are, sometimes, by a bit. If you’re trying to send something when no token sale is active obviously, else you have people spending $100's to get in on the token sale and clog up the network. Also doesn’t apply when you send something from exchanges since for example with Poloniex it’s about $1.9 vs $0.28 for Bitcoin. Oh and another exception is when you actually use it for smart contracts, which require more gas to process than a normal transactions from account A to account B. You know.. the actual reason why Ethereum was created.
Ethereum is not decentralized. Bitcoin isn’t as decentralized as it should be, we all know that, but compared to most other coins, Bitcoin is very decentralized. Vitalik has called himself a benevolent dictator in the past. He is the single point of failure in this project and if he gets compromised in any way that’s the end. There is no way of knowing if this happens and since people blindly follow everything he says, he has the power to do anything. Satoshi was smart enough to remove himself from the Bitcoin project.
Ethereum is not immutable. Don’t have to spend much time on this: see DAO and split that lead to Ethereum and Ethereum Classic.
Ethereum has the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance. But but but.. all those big banks use Ethereum. No, they don’t. They use “an” Ethereum, which is a (private) fork of Ethereum. By that definition 99% of all altcoins are using Bitcoin. Still a separate chain. The fact that we’re talking about a private blockchain here actually makes altcoins more like Bitcoin than “an Ethereum” that EEA uses like Ethereum. You can compare it to 2013–2014 when some companies started to get interested in blockchain vs Bitcoin, only difference here is that for Ethereum it’s part of their marketing campaign to lure in potential investors.
If you think I’m just full of crap, which is fair, I am just some random popular guy on Twitter who has been around from before Ethereum. Have a look at what Vlad has to say about the current state of Ethereum here and here. Vlad Zamfir is probably the smartest guy on the Ethereum team, and I say this while I don’t agree with him on many of his opinions, I do respect him.
Conclusion:
If you’re an actual developer, be realistic and honest with your investors. Do you really ever need more than $5 mill? Finish a MVP first and then do a tokensale, if you really really need to do an ICO. Plenty of rich crypto investors and traders now that would love to be part of your project and who would be happy to just invest for equity. Yes, it will probably be less than what you can get in an ICO, but at least you didn’t sell out and it shows you actually really care about your product/service/…
If you’re a trader or investor, be realistic about the bubble. I know you hear this a 100 times when you’re trading but: don’t invest what you can’t afford to lose.
I have some Ethereum, not as a long term investment, but because the price is going up and I need it to invest in tokens which I can quickly flip as soon as they come on the market. That’s just the type of market we’re in. Everyone is making a lot of money, awesome right? What could potentially go wrong.

WhalePanda
Crypto OG. Talks about Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. Don’t take me too serious, unless I’m serious. Happy Panda most of the time, Sad Panda sometimes

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Strategic Tea posted:

"I'll make money on this pyramid scheme but get out while the going is good" - surprisingly few people.

The banks have the right idea - lift blockchain and use it for real finance, and give bitcoiners nothing in return.

Even banks are discovering it's still poo poo: "There is currently no commercially available proven technology platform tested for enterprise class volume, security, reliability and regulations yet. This is one of the key factors holding back the productive implementation of the use cases. To date for conducting POCs, banks have used available open source or vendor technologies. Several compromises or assumptions can be made at POC stage but these cannot be carried on to production systems." Note that the rest of that report is pretty enthusiastic.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Blockade posted:

But how does a blockchain help with distributed storage? All that you're doing is adding a convoluted transaction layer to an AWS-like solution. Adding a blockchain does not create any savings, it actually makes the solution more expensive to implement and much, much more expensive to maintain (because you need to maintain a stupid amount of hashing power; or, if you control all of the hashing power because you control the hardware then you no longer need a blockchain)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You could use to hold proof that content with a certain hash was stored at a particular time, but lol at using anything remotely like a chain to handle the actual storage

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I don't know about you guys but I can't wait for someone to save child porn on the distributed storage part of my hard drive.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

You could use to hold proof that content with a certain hash was stored at a particular time, but lol at using anything remotely like a chain to handle the actual storage

What costs are being saved by doing this with a blockchain instead of using a distributed database running alongside your distributed storage?

Like the proposals that I've heard are always "we'll save so much money by just storing things on the blockchain" which only appeals to rubes who don't know how a blockchain works. So the language from the people trying to sell this crap is always really cagey about how they store "information" on the blockchain which turns out to literally just be a hash, like you described, which doesn't actually address any of the real costs of distributed storage

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Whatever happened to those guys who wanted to put bitcoin miners in lightbulbs? Did the free market make the wise choice and make them go bankrupt or are they still scamming investors?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

QuarkJets posted:

Whatever happened to those guys who wanted to put bitcoin miners in lightbulbs? Did the free market make the wise choice and make them go bankrupt or are they still scamming investors?

Bitcoin/blockchain really is good at solving problems that don't exist, ain't it?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

vortmax posted:

I don't know about you guys but I can't wait for someone to save child porn on the distributed storage part of my hard drive.

Well, Storj has a pretty clear strategy to avoid attracting illegal content holders to their distributed encrypted storage platform: they ask you really nicely NOT to host your child porn there. P sure that's going to be foolproof

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Want to watch Bitcoin go TO THE MOON

There's a site for that now:

https://moon.cryptothis.com/

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

bitcoin moon prices are apparently just $4000/btc

that's kind of disappointing back in 2012 we were getting predictions of $1M/btc by 2015

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Anyone who tries to tell me the blockchain is useful for something in computing could just tell me they're an idiot, cause it really is one in the same.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

LethalGeek posted:

Anyone who tries to tell me the blockchain is useful for something in computing could just tell me they're an idiot, cause it really is one in the same.

Looks like blockchain technology smart tokens are pretty useful for generating money out of some buzzwords and video cards?

Maybe smart people are better off playing video games :confused:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

here's a graph with a positive slope, aren't you a fool for not buying at y=mx+b where m is 1, x is M, and b is GAY

what does y equal?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Computer Serf posted:

Looks like blockchain technology smart tokens are pretty useful for generating money out of some buzzwords and video cards?

Maybe smart people are better off playing video games :confused:

That's correct, it's useful for duping gullible venture capitalists. That's not a computing thing though

Zandi
Aug 7, 2003
www.nomadhonor.com
http://fortune.com/2017/06/15/bitco...acebook_FORTUNE

quote:

Around 10 a.m. Thursday, the Bitcoin price fell as low as $2079, a more than 30% drop since breaking the $3,000 milestone last weekend (and a 19% decline in the previous 24 hours alone).

Going to the moon! (via the core)

quote:

(While Coinbase initially said it had restored full access to the exchange by mid-afternoon Thursday, it was still trying to repair service for at least some users after 5 p.m., according to a status report on its website.)

Only 12 hour downtime, impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm sure it's coincidental that places like Coinbase go down when the price drops quickly but not when the price is rising quickly

• Locked thread