Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Running 54, seems that multi-processor is not enabled. Apparently you have to wait until November if some plugin doesn't support it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

mike12345 posted:

Running 54, seems that multi-processor is not enabled. Apparently you have to wait until November if some plugin doesn't support it?
All that's going to happen in November is that nearly all of your plugins are going to be removed. So just remove them now if you want multi-process immediately.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The only essential incompatible add-on I still have is 1password (they're working on it). But it seems to behave well enough with e10s force-enabled

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

xamphear posted:

All that's going to happen in November is that nearly all of your plugins are going to be removed. So just remove them now if you want multi-process immediately.

Ok, I removed every addon that's not compatible with multi-process. But it still says "multi-process not enabled". I guess I need to fiddle with about :config for that, but I'm not sure why.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Some Windows accessibility tools will disable multi-process: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re-enable-multi-process-disabled-windows-utilities
besides that just try forcing an enable

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My Firefox profile's about:support
Multiprocess Windows 0/1 (Disabled by add-ons)

Is there any way to tell which add-on is causing this? Or do I just need to disable each one by one until it turns on?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Some Windows accessibility tools will disable multi-process: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re-enable-multi-process-disabled-windows-utilities
besides that just try forcing an enable

aha! yes that fixed it.

jeeves posted:

My Firefox profile's about :support
Multiprocess Windows 0/1 (Disabled by add-ons)

Is there any way to tell which add-on is causing this? Or do I just need to disable each one by one until it turns on?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
If you like to keep open a huge amount of tabs then 55 is going to be a real treat (startup with many tabs is almost as fast as no tabs). On the other hand it makes your profile backwards incompatible.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Does anyone know of a multiprocess-compatible version of SuperStop (the thing that lets you stop all animations on a page with shift-esc as you used to be able to do with just esc) or an alternative to the current multiprocess compatibile version of Snap Links Plus which has the full on menu instead of a placeholder?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

xamphear posted:

All that's going to happen in November is
... nearly all of the last holdouts will jump ship.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Firefox 55 has started marking which addons are legacy. Once Firefox 57 comes out, almost all my addons are going to stop working. Fake Location, Greasemonkey, SALR, Status-4-Evar, uBlock Origin... They are all marked as legacy and won't work on Firefox 57. This may suck.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

FRINGE posted:

... nearly all of the last holdouts will jump ship.
There will still be the ESR to ride all the way down!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Has anyone noticed any difference with responsiveness and page rendering speed with all the new stuff they're doing?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Nalin posted:

Firefox 55 has started marking which addons are legacy. Once Firefox 57 comes out, almost all my addons are going to stop working. Fake Location, Greasemonkey, SALR, Status-4-Evar, uBlock Origin... They are all marked as legacy and won't work on Firefox 57. This may suck.

I don't know about the others but I know Mozilla is directly working with uBlock Origin to ensure that they have a WebExtension ready for 57. Also, uBlock Origin already works on Chrome, so a lot of the necessary work is done.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Avenging Dentist posted:

I don't know about the others but I know Mozilla is directly working with uBlock Origin to ensure that they have a WebExtension ready for 57. Also, uBlock Origin already works on Chrome, so a lot of the necessary work is done.

Yeah, I would bet that uBlock Origin will be ready in time. But you've got addons like Greasemonkey waiting for whole entire custom WebExtension APIs to be written to work. Doesn't give me much confidence that things will be smooth come September (beta)/November (release), especially when the bugs for these APIs are not assigned to anybody and haven't had any comments for the past 2 months.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Tampermonkey on Chrome seems to point pretty strongly towards the core of Greasemonkey's functionality being doable via WebExtensions already. I'm sure there are bits and pieces that don't work, but the basic idea of having user scripts should be fine today.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
55 making your profile backwards incompatible is pretty spiteful, given how many users will want to jump to 52 ESR.

Making 52 the last ESR before 59, giving users little time before they lose out on security patches, is just a slap in the face.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Yeesh, it's like they're actively trying to alienate the people who use the browser the most heavily.

So are any good Firefox alternatives starting to crop up yet, or are we gonna have to wait for the Firefocalypse to see that kind of stuff? Looking more and more likely I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just start tolerating Chrome once half the stuff I use Firefox for gets axed :smith:

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Buff Skeleton posted:

Yeesh, it's like they're actively trying to alienate the people who use the browser the most heavily.

So are any good Firefox alternatives starting to crop up yet, or are we gonna have to wait for the Firefocalypse to see that kind of stuff? Looking more and more likely I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just start tolerating Chrome once half the stuff I use Firefox for gets axed :smith:

If you can tolerate Chrome then you can also keep tolerating Firefox as it will get all of Chrome extensions plus extensions made for the new apis.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
m-maybe i should... give edge a chance? :ohdear:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I must've missed something. What's going on? Can somebody clue me in?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Some people (addon developers) took their toys and went home. Other people (some users) did/are doing the same.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Trades posted:

Firefox supports a method for add-on developers to reach deep into Firefox, and change behaviours or add features at a very fundamental level. This is good, because it allows an add-on developer to create functionality that is very complex, very specific, or both. Pretty much anything a developer wanted to do, they could. It's bad because it allowed add-on developers to make mistakes that could make Firefox perform very poorly, and the developers of Firefox themselves found that supporting the method used to give access was much more burdensome than they wanted to undertake.

Chrome (and now Edge) use a much simpler method for add-on developers to interact with the browser, and while this means add-ons can impair the browser much less, it also limits their functionality a great deal.

Firefox decided to drop their current method for supporting add-ons, and adopt the Chrome method instead. Many very popular Firefox extensions will disappear when this happens, with no way of replacing them.

Many people are upset about this, both add-on developers and users, because they see it as both the loss of functionality they used, and the end of Firefox as a product. Firefox has spent a good many of the last few years copying Chrome features and design, and the distinctness of Firefox has disappeared. They also feel Firefox's decision making process is heavily flawed, driven by a group that neither develops nor uses Firefox.

Overall, Firefox looks to be relegating itself to another 'also ran' in the browser space and the remaining choices (Chrome, Edge, Safari) don't set themselves apart from another in a meaningful way, and have complications from being developed by companies whose main priorities are far from those of browser end users.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Desuwa posted:

55 making your profile backwards incompatible is pretty spiteful, given how many users will want to jump to 52 ESR.

Making 52 the last ESR before 59, giving users little time before they lose out on security patches, is just a slap in the face.

Wait, they aren't going to drop an ESR of the last version of Firefox before they disable addons?

That's loving crazy.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
That sucks, huh?
It won't affect me personally since I only use uBlock and Classic Theme Restorer but still, that's pretty worrisome direction they're going in.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Jack Trades posted:

That sucks, huh?
It won't affect me personally since I only use uBlock and Classic Theme Restorer but still, that's pretty worrisome direction they're going in.

Jeez, I'm sorry to break this to you, but....

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Nalin posted:

Jeez, I'm sorry to break this to you, but....

If it stops working then I might as well switch to Chrome instead. I dislike the new Firefox UI as much as I dislike Chrome's UI.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I gave Opera a test run a couple months ago, and kinda liked it. There's even a tree style tabs addon that's making progress, and works a LOT better than the dead project for tree tabs in Chrome.

I don't want to leave Firefox after all these years, and I'll wait until the very last possible moment before jumping ship. Hopefully they have a better handle on this process than we do and we're just underestimating things.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Is there a reasonable hope of somebody making a forked version that's kept updated enough with critical security patches? Or is FF just too complex at this point for any hobby project to really maintain a fork?

If not I guess I'll have to see how Vivaldi is coming along.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Lakitu7 posted:

Is there a reasonable hope of somebody making a forked version that's kept updated enough with critical security patches? Or is FF just too complex at this point for any hobby project to really maintain a fork?

"Definitely no" to the first question, even if "possibly not" is the answer to the second.

I recommend everyone to be disloyal to any particular browser and change every now and then to see what's what. All the important addons and features you are so reliant on are forgotten or replaced in two weeks anyway.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lakitu7 posted:

The only reason I'm not using Pale Moon for my daily driver is that inline twitter videos don't work, and the politics threads are always full of those. It's basically "Firefox before they ruined it".

Vivaldi is surprisingly nice too.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So how do I check if I have multiprocess on/off? just about:support in the address bar?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

spit on my clit posted:

So how do I check if I have multiprocess on/off? just about :support in the address bar?

yes, or look at your task manager to see if you have 2 firefox processes

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
I feel weird.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Am I missing something, or does Mozilla's addons page really not have a way to filter for multiprocess-ready addons?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

Am I missing something, or does Mozilla's addons page really not have a way to filter for multiprocess-ready addons?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Sorry, I didn't mean about :addons. I mean addons.mozilla.org. I don't want to bother installing anything that won't be compatible in a few months, and I'm not seeing a way to limit my searches to multiprocess-ready addons.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Not that I've been able to see.

When I downloaded the compatibility reporter, I found that drat near every extension I was using wasn't compatible. Yay. As far as I could see, there's no other option than installing, checking if they're compatible and then uninstalling and finding another one if they're not.

And yes, it really sucks and is stupid.

EDIT - there is a list somewhere in the thread of compatible extensions, but it's nowhere near comprehensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Toast Museum posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean about :addons. I mean addons.mozilla.org. I don't want to bother installing anything that won't be compatible in a few months, and I'm not seeing a way to limit my searches to multiprocess-ready addons.

This is a start

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/tag/firefox57