Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Just finished HZD. It's an amazing game and people who like narrative-driven AAA+ epic adventures should really get it, it's satisifying to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I should really finish it yeah.

Unfortunately I've resolved to play through all the Kingdom Hearts games in order before KH3 comes out.

Fortunately that gives me plenty time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

I should really finish it yeah.

Unfortunately I've resolved to play through all the Kingdom Hearts games in order before KH3 comes out.

Fortunately that gives me plenty time.
Weren't you going through TitS SC? That's a lot better use of your time than KH!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah I forgot about that, hmmmm

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

idk I'm just replaying Xenogears and got to the Tower of Babel last night.

It's not as bad as I remembered. The later bits actually stop you from moving once a random battle is triggered but it's still annoying for that first segment.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Phantasium posted:

idk I'm just replaying Xenogears and got to the Tower of Babel last night.

It's not as bad as I remembered. The later bits actually stop you from moving once a random battle is triggered but it's still annoying for that first segment.

There should be an "open disc tray" option specifically for Xenogears. Let it load the room but keep it from triggering random battles.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The thing I'm slowly remembering is that most of the battles in this game are really devoid of any strategy, and random battles in the gear are just wastes of time and resources since all that's based on how upgraded the mech is and otherwise you're wasting fuel.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

That PC is giving me Oblivion flashbacks.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phantasium posted:

The thing I'm slowly remembering is that most of the battles in this game are really devoid of any strategy, and random battles in the gear are just wastes of time and resources since all that's based on how upgraded the mech is and otherwise you're wasting fuel.

i really like xenogears but yeah, random battles in the gears kind of suck for that

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about that, hmmmm
Man maybe it's just because I've been playing TitS 3rd lately but god drat that is a good trilogy. I figured it was going to be hard to go back to those older games' gameplay fter Trails of Cold Steel but it's been so much fun. You have so much to look forward to!!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i thought the 3rd tits was a myth outside of total recall the movei

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tits fc and sc were pretty great but tits 3rd raised the goddamn bar so much that i'm worried about whether later trails games will be able to meet those expectations. it's right in between tales of berseria and xillia 2 as one of the best jrpgs i've played this year, with berseria only just slightly inching above it

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I wanna get back on tits but my Vita's battery has disabled the portability feature :(

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's almost kind of nuts how it and berseria both released in english this year and are both games i would give, like, a straight 10

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Harmony of Dissonance.

The two castles gimmick is kinda cooler and better integrated than in sotn but the map isn't designed very well and there's a lot of unnecessary backtracking and progress gated by literal keys. Pretty solid otherwise tho

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

all i remember about harmony of dissonance is that it was aptly named because the soundtrack was a screechy atari sounding mess compared to circle of the moon before it and aria of sorrow after it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
every time i consider playing a castlevania i think i should finish circle of the moon cause i'm on the last boss and then i pick it up and fight the last boss for ten minutes, say "oh" and drop it forever

i should probably just forget about ever finishing cotm

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Use the Roc jump to avoid the dashes, and use the whip spin to get rid of the bats around the eye in his second form.

He shouldn't be so bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't remember the last boss being that bad but it's been a while

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
when i tried looking up some easier way to deal with it a long time ago all i got was an old gamefaqs thread where someone said that you need to do an insane amount of grinding

it's really the bats that gently caress me up so if there's some easier way to deal with them then i might finally finish it

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

igavania games in order of best to worst

- Dawn
- Symphony
- Aria and Order (tie)
- Harmony
- Portrait
- Circle

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

The Colonel posted:

tits fc and sc were pretty great but tits 3rd raised the goddamn bar so much that i'm worried about whether later trails games will be able to meet those expectations. it's right in between tales of berseria and xillia 2 as one of the best jrpgs i've played this year, with berseria only just slightly inching above it

I had no idea what game series you guys were talking about so thanks for causing me to search for "3rd tits" at work.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't remember the last boss being that bad but it's been a while

It's because he has a big hitbox and the screen is like 8x8 gameboy advance screens big and he zooms around it fast and does a lot of damage during the dashing phase. And dodging with your super jump takes you up like 3 screen lengths so it's hard to see what you're doing sometimes, especially again on an og system with no lighting.

The Colonel posted:

when i tried looking up some easier way to deal with it a long time ago all i got was an old gamefaqs thread where someone said that you need to do an insane amount of grinding

it's really the bats that gently caress me up so if there's some easier way to deal with them then i might finally finish it

iirc they all have 1 hp so if you do the whip spin it automatically kills any near you and gives an opening to attack. He's constantly spawning them so obviously you'll never be rid of them but it's pretty easy to just stand on the platform and never get hit.

Mak0rz posted:

- Dawn
- Symphony
- Aria and Order (tie)
- Harmony
- Portrait
- Circle

IGA didn't make circle, it was done by the N64 devs. That's also why it has like one original song in it total. Although I guess that refers to the style anymore so whatevs.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i can't believe that there's been all this discussion about tits but no one's brought up sleeper jrpg hits booby and cans

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

- Dawn
- Symphony
- Aria and Order (tie)
- Harmony
- Portrait
- Circle

I think I agree with this but still hate the grind encouraged by the soul crafting

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowcaster posted:

i can't believe that there's been all this discussion about tits but no one's brought up sleeper jrpg hits booby and cans

i don't think anyone wants to talk about omega labyrinth

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I do :mrgw:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/875423986091384832

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i really like the little sub-genre Ecclesia has managed to carve out as other games like Shantae & the Pirate's Curse has followed its model of having a series of mini-metroidvania maps and as you get new abilities you can go between them and access new areas.

of course Ecclesia still had the "SYKE NOW THE REAL GAME BEGINS, IDIOT" huge castle

okay sub-genre is wrong word but it's a unique FLAVOR of metroidvania for sure

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Everybody knows that butts are the new boobs in gaming

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Quest For Glory II posted:

i really like the little sub-genre Ecclesia has managed to carve out as other games like Shantae & the Pirate's Curse has followed its model of having a series of mini-metroidvania maps and as you get new abilities you can go between them and access new areas.

of course Ecclesia still had the "SYKE NOW THE REAL GAME BEGINS, IDIOT" huge castle

i was disappointed how the syke now the real game begins idiot huge castle consisted of about 3 room templates copy-pasted 6000 times though

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

The champion, Mr Yabuki. And also some other guy that lost to him?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

tap my mountain posted:

If Lara Croft were invented today she would be super thicc instead of just having gigantic bazongas.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Quest For Glory II posted:

okay sub-genre is wrong word but it's a unique FLAVOR of metroidvania for sure

that's not a thing ecclesia invented, though i guess the earlier games to feature stuff like that didn't let you revisit areas

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i don't think anyone wants to talk about omega labyrinth

I get it

I don't like it, but I get it

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Looper posted:

I think I agree with this but still hate the grind encouraged by the soul crafting

Maybe? The first time I played Dawn/Aria I didn't grind souls at all and had a good time. It's not really something you have to do unless you want to become overpowered.

I guess you're out of luck if you're an obsessive completionist though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cowcaster posted:

i was disappointed how the syke now the real game begins idiot huge castle consisted of about 3 room templates copy-pasted 6000 times though

By that point they were making the games using whatever change they found on the pachinko parlor floor

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Looper posted:

I don't agree with it, Dawn sucked and I almost quit before finishing it. I was so tired of the soul mechanic after doing it and Aria back to back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tap my mountain posted:

look forward to Trails under Silent Heaven in Q4 2017

• Locked thread