Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqerSSt07JA

McGregor being murdered in a hotel room wouldn't be surprising either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Conor's going to win.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Work Friend Keven posted:

Conor's going to win.

Yeah, a trip to the hospital!!!!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Conor's going to win.

I like an underdog

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

...and the pitch! posted:

I like an underdog

Cheering for Floyd, I see.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Cheering for Floyd, I see.

You see right thru me

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This is what Conor looked like 10 months ago, but people (including the head of the Nevada Athletic Commission) are reassuring us that Conor has been training boxing since then and is a lot better now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8kTW1ofejM

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

That's fair, but here's a video of Floyd from only six weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cenZsucH51c

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Now you know why he had to get good at fighting.

Ah, closure.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Stunt Weed

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

the headline alone contains enough salt to kill all the slugs in the world

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Jack B Nimble posted:

If you're coming at this as a mma fan, you might be surprised by how much wrestling is in boxing:

https://youtu.be/T8gGOwgr4XQ

And how good mayweather is at it:

https://youtu.be/v2wW7zqH87Y

If there's one thing I expect McGregor to bring it's competency in wrestling, and I'm curious to see how that effects mayweather's control inside.

I suspect Floyd outworks Conor in a boxing clinch, easily.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I.N.R.I posted:

That guy is talking out of his rear end

Obviously. It was a joke.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I suspect that the fight itself won't be that great but the lead-up to it should be really entertaining.

Already we've got that Twitter pic with Mayweather Sr. and also

It's going to be a great few months.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Roberto Guerrero was the last southpaw outside of Manny that Floyd has fought right? Doesn't seem like he has had much trouble with them in recent years.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I understand that the PPV will cost $100 or so. I'm willing to pay $200 for a PPV feed that has commentary from Nate Diaz who just sits there smoking from his UFC glove bong mocking McGregor.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't keep up with mma and assumed McGregor, as a champ, had at least "good" skills at the stand up clinch, and that a good clinch game by ufc standards would be above average when brought into boxing. I guess I made a mistake to think this multi belt guy didn't had big flaws in a large part of the mma skill set? Or am I overestimating how much stand up clinch work from mma translates to boxing?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Booking this fight is criminally responsible. As in, criminals will be responsible sheparding the minecarts full of cash bundles from one secure location to another

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

InfiniteZero posted:

I understand that the PPV will cost $100 or so. I'm willing to pay $200 for a PPV feed that has commentary from Nate Diaz who just sits there smoking from his UFC glove bong mocking McGregor.

$300 for Nate Diaz, Nick Diaz and Joey Diaz

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't keep up with mma and assumed McGregor, as a champ, had at least "good" skills at the stand up clinch, and that a good clinch game by ufc standards would be above average when brought into boxing. I guess I made a mistake to think this multi belt guy didn't had big flaws in a large part of the mma skill set? Or am I overestimating how much stand up clinch work from mma translates to boxing?

I am not a big boxing guy, but the mma clinch serves a different purpose from boxing and utilizes different skills and tools that aren't available in boxing. In mma if you clinch up you have a variety of takedowns and strikes you can utilize, including knees and punches that would be illegal in boxing. There is a reason most punches in the mma clinch are described as "dirty boxing." Even the aspects that are similar in terms of controlling your opponent work differently enough, since pushing and holding someone against the cage is a different beast than trying to do so against the ropes, and that's before even getting into how the ref is going go react in each sport when you're stalling in a clinch.

So no, I wouldn't expect those skills to translate super easily, and McGregor isn't known for his high level clinch work comparatively in the first place.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

he probably trains it as much as anyone else. its not a big feature of his fighting style though. theres 10 thousand ways to win an mma fight, its not possible to be better than all of your potential opponents at all of them. its more efficient to develop ways to protect your flaws from being exploited instead

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

The idea that any boxer has "good" skills at clinching in a ruleset where everyone is wearing mittens, can't do takedowns, can't knee, and it's automatically broken up is simply laughable. You might as well as laud a snowboarder for his great mountain climbing skills as he rides the chair lift.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Rigel posted:

This is what Conor looked like 10 months ago, but people (including the head of the Nevada Athletic Commission) are reassuring us that Conor has been training boxing since then and is a lot better now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8kTW1ofejM
tuns out the CM in CM Punk stood for Conor McGregor all along

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Jack B Nimble posted:

He relies very heavily on his power, he's very accurate and everyone at 155 and below who gets hit by his left goes to sleep. His takedown defense has also been good, but he wants to keep the fight at range and avoid the clinch. When he gets a guy with a strong chin (first Diaz fight), he's in trouble. Since Mayweather is probably the greatest defensive boxer in history and MMA striking is very different from boxing, we're assuming Conor won't be able to touch Mayweather so his power doesn't matter. When his power doesn't work, Conor doesn't have a plan B.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if Conor doesn't TKO/KO Mayweather by Round 3, he loses. I'm completely uncultured to boxing but I've seen Mayweather fights and that dude just floats. Conor can't touch that.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

lol

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
congrats to conor on securing the biggest money fight since where's my bong, niggy? in the driveway

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

coconono posted:

if Conor doesn't TKO/KO Mayweather by Round 3, he loses. I'm completely uncultured to boxing but I've seen Mayweather fights and that dude just floats. Conor can't touch that.

He's a defensive puzzle that some of the greatest boxers of their generation, such as Manny Pacquiao and Oscar De La Hoya couldn't solve. It's entirely possible some of the people Money has fought hit harder than Conor too. There's really not much of a chance here barring Money's skills suddenly dropping off a cliff.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

in mma terms, i think this is actually the opposite buncey

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 15, 2017

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Conor has real power, but I think a lot of his reputation as this guy who just sleeps dudes or batters them to a really brutal TKO, like in the Aldo and Alvarez fights, comes from him being able to get guys to rush in on him, eat counter shots and double up on that power with their own momentum.

It's really hard to imagine a fight where Floyd is charge in behind a right hand like Eddie Alvarez and repeatedly getting dropped, even if Floyd has aged and slowed down a bunch since he retired.

It's a really dumb fight, but the only way it could not be entertaining is if Floyd just kind of coasts to a decision without landing too much on Conor as Conor follows him around trying to taunt him into a making a mistake or whatever.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Why does John Kavanagh use a pen name to discuss boxing with the BBC

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

ha..he is somehow probably right about the outcome of this fight while having the worst possible take

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kills the greatest featherweight of all time in 13 seconds: "Garbage"
Knocks the gently caress out of the Lightweight champion while barely being touched: "LOL this guy can't even throw a punch"
Gets choked out by Nate Diaz: "Holy gently caress, Conor might just be legit..."

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Knocks the gently caress out of the Lightweight champion while barely being touched: "LOL this guy can't even throw a punch"
Gets choked out by Nate Diaz: "Holy gently caress, Conor might just be legit..."

Nate Diaz would easily defeat Jose Junior Aldo.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

cant win them all

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

He was extremely inefficient with his energy in this fight.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I.N.R.I posted:

cant win them all

Floyd did

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

floyd has not defeated his greatest foe

illiteracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

How can a man be expected to defeat Conor McGregor if he can't even read The Secret!?!?

• Locked thread