Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

killa-pope posted:

US denotes a federal highway, not an interstate.

Right. And Interstate 75 runs nowhere near Plano, Texas, which is why I was wondering if the OP meant to write "US 75" rather than "I75".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

ulmont posted:

Right. And Interstate 75 runs nowhere near Plano, Texas, which is why I was wondering if the OP meant to write "US 75" rather than "I75".

Considering US 75 goes through Plano and the first picture he posted literally has a US 75 street sign in it...

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Craptacular posted:

Considering US 75 goes through Plano and the first picture he posted literally has a US 75 street sign in it...

Listen, it is of the utmost importance that we confirm whether this happened on US75 or I75.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

ulmont posted:

My fault. The post had been corrected to US75 by the time I read it, and I missed that your in your quote it said I75.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I don't even know what's real anymore

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There are no guns on the roof of the cars so it's definitely not Interstate 76.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

There are no guns on the roof of the cars so it's definitely not Interstate 76.

Hell yeah.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Elsa posted:

I don't even know what's real anymore

Pretty much how I approach driving in this day and age.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Pretty much how I approach driving in this day and age.

I had a bus cut me off pulling out into the street yesterday. "I got my nose into traffic between cars so now you stop for me." If it was a passenger car it would have been fine but there's you know, 60 feet of bus behind the driver. It was close, too. If I accelerated and moved outward I would have won. Or lost, but gotten paid or something. I have pictures of the bus' plate and "how's my driving" info but I'm just going to sit on it. I just hope the driver thinks about what he's doing with a bus full of people without someone having to mess with his livelihood.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw a city bus stop to pick up a passenger and then just proceed through the red light as soon as traffic petered out enough to make it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sleepy.eyes posted:

Saw a city bus stop to pick up a passenger and then just proceed through the red light as soon as traffic petered out enough to make it.

Some buses get their own early signal with reds in both directions. so they can get across multiple lanes to make a left at the next intersection. immediately after making a stop on the right.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Calgary is a very smart city run by people of impeccable intellect. They recently upgraded our LRT to support 4-car units, instead of the previous 3-car units. This involved a lot of rebuilding platforms and such, but apparently what they failed to consider is that there are several signals where a stopped 4-car train will block an intersection. I've counted three of them just in my general area, but I suspect there could easily be more! They've managed to gridlock a significant portion of downtown with their stupidity, and I've actually seen emergency vehicles blocked by a stopped train as well, which is a significant safety issue.

What a bunch of dunces...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Elsa posted:

I just hope the driver thinks about what he's doing with a bus full of people without someone having to mess with his livelihood.
He won't.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Krakkles posted:

He won't.

He couldn't complete his left turn until I backed up, and I took pictures first. He saw me taking pictures of the info on the side of the bus. I went past that driveway later in the opposite direction and they had someone with a stop sign, and I assume it's because someone knew about it.

Just looked up the private bus company's yelp reviews and by the looks of it no one will care.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

FBS posted:

This afternoon, northbound US75 in Plano:

Looks like the Lexus hit the truck while it was stopped on the shoulder. I could see from the southbound side that the roof was peeled back from more than half the cabin and I had a nice view of the passenger seats. Not sure how the black SUV ended up there but from what I saw it was smashed up too.

At least one fatality reported. Drive safe and hug your loved ones people. :rip:

edit to correct a slight geographical discrepancy

Similar accident today, drunk driver rear-ended a semi and paralyzed himself. At least he won't be back on the road.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I think we need a rule limiting how long one car can squat the only lane trying to turn left before they have to give it up and either continue straight or pull over and wait for oncoming traffic to clear. This poo poo is a daily obstacle.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Attention lovely loving VW bus driver: when you get overtaken at night, turn your loving hibeams off. You drive a VW bus; don't tell me you're not familiar with being passed.

The dickhead in question later caught up to me due to his insistence that 70 km/h is a reasonable speed to do in a 50 km/h marked construction zone.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Javid posted:

I think we need a rule limiting how long one car can squat the only lane trying to turn left before they have to give it up and either continue straight or pull over and wait for oncoming traffic to clear. This poo poo is a daily obstacle.

As a corollary to this, yesterday I got stuck behind a guy trying to turn right out of a parking lot right into a very, very, busy intersection. Naturally, he wanted to turn right out of the lot then immediately go across four lanes of traffic so he could make a left in 100 feet. After about a minute of this he turned right out the lot, then just stopped again in the road with his left blinker on. Myself and everyone else had to go around him in the 'right turn only' lane and I like to imagine he's still there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/UdmASDh.gifv

It seems weird to me that auto-braking after a collision is detected is not a thing. I guess the development of braking assist will eventually fix this, but it seems like it should have been pretty simple to have a "did we hit something? drop anchor!" trigger.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
At least like ten people + a camera caught that so the minivan is paying for every dime of damage.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xzzy posted:

https://i.imgur.com/UdmASDh.gifv

It seems weird to me that auto-braking after a collision is detected is not a thing. I guess the development of braking assist will eventually fix this, but it seems like it should have been pretty simple to have a "did we hit something? drop anchor!" trigger.

What would braking after the collision do in this case?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/a-family-involved-in-an-127241/

When we was coming back from a holiday in Belgium we got caught in the tailbacks from this, took about two hours to get from a few miles north of Canterbury to J7 of the M2. Given the reports said it was a single vehicle accident I figured it was someone driving like an idiot, but the inquest unearthed a whole boatload of stupidity.

• The father was driving way too fast. The limit in the UK when towing a trailer is 60mph, he was going at 70mph.
  • The caravan was likely too heavy for the truck.
  • The caravan's over-braking system wasn't adjusted properly and would have been ineffective.
  • The father had cocaine in his system.
  • The caravan started fish tailing and he lost control, flipped and crashed.
  • The father was not wearing a seatbelt and was thrown from the vehicle, and suffered fatal head injuries.
  • The mother was not wearing a seatbelt either, was thrown from the vehicle and suffered severe head injuries.
  • The child was also thrown from the vehicle because he was not strapped into his child seat. If that wasn't bad enough, the child seat was not secured to the car seat. He also suffered severe head injuries but survived.

Parents and driver of the loving year folks. Thank god he killed only himself with his cuntish driving.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FCKGW posted:

What would braking after the collision do in this case?

The golf potentially wouldn't have rolled into the versa or whatever the third car in the line is.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

xzzy posted:

It is, e.g. http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/braking-and-stability-systems

Although that looks like a Polo in the middle of that bunch of shunts, and it looks like it's not available on Polo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

xzzy posted:

It seems weird to me that auto-braking after a collision is detected is not a thing.

Seems to me there's a potential downside of a car being able to decide to fully apply the brakes all on its own.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Seems to me there's a potential downside of a car being able to decide to fully apply the brakes all on its own.

Depending how pedantic you want to be, cars have had that capability for a couple decades now. :v:

Fortunately ABS systems are designed to disable on fail, instead of locking up all four corners.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xzzy posted:

The golf potentially wouldn't have rolled into the versa or whatever the third car in the line is.

The golf was already on the brakes seeing as it was stopped.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FCKGW posted:

The golf was already on the brakes seeing as it was stopped.

Obviously.

The point is when they were rear ended their foot came off the brake because they were getting ragdolled.

It's the same reason you don't turn your wheels when waiting to make a left turn, when you get hit there's a period of time where you're incapable of controlling your vehicle and a turned wheel means you roll into oncoming traffic.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

This happened in my neck of the woods.

http://wane.com/2017/06/14/driver-to-avoid-prison-for-142-mph-fatal-crash/

Even say you were traveling 70 in a 50, getting rear ended at 142 (and then plowed underneath a semi and dragged for a few hundred extra feet for good measure...) I honestly can't believe how the person who did that to you could survive at those speeds.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Javid posted:

At least like ten people + a camera caught that so the minivan is paying for every dime of damage.

The description is even more bizarre. Dude in front decided to just slow/stop to see the accident.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Ludicro posted:

Parents and driver of the loving year folks. Thank god he killed only himself with his cuntish driving.

Couple years ago a pregnant woman and her unborn child died in an easily survivable head on because she wasn't wearing her seatbelt, leaving behind a two year old. People called her a 'wonderful mother'.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I work in auto insurance and today I totaled a PT Cruiser.

Deus vult.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Eifert Posting posted:

I work in auto insurance and today I totaled a PT Cruiser.

Every day we stray further from God’s light.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Are you okay?

good thing it wasn't a real car

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
alright I sort of wanted one throughout high school.

Really are you alright? What happened

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Elsa posted:

Uhm, he works for auto insurance. Someone else crash an PT cruiser, his insurance company sent him and he said "yup, it's totaled."
Pretty sure he's ok other than working for an insurance company.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Elsa posted:

I determined that the value of the car was lower than the cost of repairs.

For whatever reason my company won't let me value PT Cruisers at zero dollars.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Eifert Posting posted:

I determined that the value of the car was lower than the cost of repairs.

For whatever reason my company won't let me value PT Cruisers at zero dollars.

but what about the printed wood paneling??!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://gfycat.com/SlowUnnaturalArgusfish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Interesting way to go for the Texas Longhorn hood ornament look.