Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

codyclarke posted:

You've probably already been on here if you've been googling around, but I've found great stuff on here: http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/

Could also try here:

http://freemusicarchive.org/

Not everything is immediately available for podcasts/youtube, license-wise, but you could always message the artist and ask. Another possible venue for it that is quite promising is all the hiphop beats sites. They're relatively cheap, there's a lot of free ones and I think they fit podcasts/youtube videos well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Top dog nomination has closed and top dog subforum voting has started!

Go there and vote, then go out and vote up all the other dogs in the other forums, but make sure to only vote for the bad ones (tactical dog voting)

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

Channel 3 Games
iTunes Twitter

Genre
Classic Video Game LPs and Discussion,

Release Schedule
Bi-Weekly

Overview
My buddy Wally and I try to shrug off being adults long enough to power through some NES games and report back on our experience along with some basic game publishing info and musings on the rampant difficulty curve these titles have. We're only two episodes in, but have a road map for the next three games.

What we have / need
Have: Currently we're running the show on a couple of SM57's into a Scarlett 2i2 interface which seems to work pretty well. The tedious part about our production is cleaning up the dead air on one mic when the other guy is talking. I've tried every combination of noise gate / suppression / reduction that Audacity has and the best thing I've come up with is just highlighting certain segments and hitting CTRL+L.

Need: Production advice, C&C. Oh, and listeners, but I'm sure they will come with time.

slightpirate fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 22, 2017

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Ugh I don't bother with that I just leave both tracks in. It's more realistic to a radio studio setup and it's barely noticeable.

Also, I'm very lazy.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
SM57s should be good at noise rejection. I don't know what your current mic technique is, but I'd say speak closer to the mic and cut the gain. That will help you isolate, since the mics won't be so hot that they pick up someone across the room.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Is the pattern the same on the 57? Still gotta get close?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I wasn't talking about different mic, I was pluralizing :)

It's a dynamic microphone so you want to be up on it (about 6 inches between your mouth and the mic).

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
The rule of thumb I had was a fist's width between the mouth and mic. I suppose I could cut the gain on the interface, and then boost the gain after the fact? The waveforms aren't particularly proud as is, so maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

Pineal Express

SoundCloud | iTunes | Twitter | Facebook

Genre
Academic discussions / Educational

Release Schedule
Every 3-4 weeks

Overview
My co-host and I chat with experts in their field about how to view the world through the lens of that field.

What we need
Listeners, positive ratings and reviews, more social media likes/follows/shares etc.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

The Flour Hour

SoundCloud | iTunes | Twitter | Patreon

Genre
Humor/Bread

Release Schedule
Every week with bonus episode for Patreon subscribers

Overview
Myself and my cohost are guys from Twitter who talk to other people from Twitter, often with humorous results. The overarching theme is bread, that famous staff of life we all know and love.

What we need
I guess more ratings on iTunes would be nice

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Song For The Deaf posted:

I wasn't talking about different mic, I was pluralizing :)

It's a dynamic microphone so you want to be up on it (about 6 inches between your mouth and the mic).

Yeh, sorry, was talking about my own experiences, I use 58s myself and you really notice the prox effect.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I should have said that heh

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
What's the best cheap way to get podcast stats? Downloads per ep, per month, etc. This is for a podcast that is on iTunes and hosted on one's own host, not on libsyn or soundcloud or whatever.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Working Class Creatives

iTunes | Twitter | Website

Genre
Interviews

Release Schedule
Every other week, with occasional Patreon-only bonus episodes on the off weeks.

Overview
Working Class Creatives is a podcast dedicated to telling the story of what it takes to make it as an artist, author, actor, or other creative professional. Each episode features interviews and discussions about the realities of trying to succeed in the modern economy while maintaining some semblance of a work-life balance.

What we need
Guests, listeners, reviews, subscriptions. You know, the whole deal.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Adam Curry is currently trying to raise funds for a limited manufacture of a "Podcaster Pro" device.
http://podcaster.curry.com

Probably out of my price range but maybe useful if anyone podcasts professionally.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
Of potential interest to this thread and CC at large, my co-host and I recently had resident Creative Convention goon, sittinghere, rep Thunderdome on our podcast, Pineal Express here.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The link in the OP is dead. Im gong to be doing a podcast soon. I have a yeti microphone and garage band. I think thats all I need to start. Any thoughts. I have an idea but i can't say it yet.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

canpakes posted:

The link in the OP is dead. Im gong to be doing a podcast soon. I have a yeti microphone and garage band. I think thats all I need to start. Any thoughts. I have an idea but i can't say it yet.

Use Audacity instead of Garage Band.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

King Lou posted:

Use Audacity instead of Garage Band.

Seconding this. It's free and there are tons of good tutorials on youtube.

Don't get discouraged if your first few episodes sound like crap.

Editing takes time. With practice that time will get shorter.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
whats the advantage of audacity?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

canpakes posted:

whats the advantage of audacity?

It's WAAAAAAY easier to use. The only drawback is that it does destructive edits so don't delete things you might want later. There are levels of undo but you can't save a project then go back and get the audio you removed later.

Garage Band works, and if you can get used to it's weird editing method it's ok. Audacity is free and works in a more tradition editing method.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

A couple of friends and I are thinking about doing a podcast, but one of the group is remote. The idea is that the two local of us would record together and our third would skype in. I've seen how to setup a mixer to combine audio into a Skype feed, but those use XLR mics and we all have Snowballs that are USB. I know us local guys could just share a mic but that will be a hassle we are wanting to avoid.

So a few quick questions:

I see there are USB to XLR converters, are those as bad as I'm guessing? (EDTI: Yes, they are, so this can be ignored.)

Is there a current specific new hotness for XLR mics or mixers? We aren't opposed to buying new mics if that's the best way to go. Just trying to figure our options out.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

Thanks y'all.

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 11, 2017

ddblue
Sep 26, 2005
D
I do a virtual reality game review podcast for visually impaired / legally blind people called VIVR - Visually Impaired Virtual Reality.

Since I am basically taking a gamble with every purchase of a VR title, I figure I am privy to information that could be useful to others (granted, likely a very small group of others). Pair that with my love of discussing VR and having no one around me willing to listen, and you get my podcast.

It's on iTunes, Google Music, and YouTube and all those links are here:

https://www.ddblue0.com/vivr.html

No ads or anything, just a fun thing to do. Check it out if you're curious.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

chaoslord posted:

A couple of friends and I are thinking about doing a podcast, but one of the group is remote. The idea is that the two local of us would record together and our third would skype in. I've seen how to setup a mixer to combine audio into a Skype feed, but those use XLR mics and we all have Snowballs that are USB. I know us local guys could just share a mic but that will be a hassle we are wanting to avoid.

So a few quick questions:

I see there are USB to XLR converters, are those as bad as I'm guessing? (EDTI: Yes, they are, so this can be ignored.)

Is there a current specific new hotness for XLR mics or mixers? We aren't opposed to buying new mics if that's the best way to go. Just trying to figure our options out.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

Thanks y'all.

My wife and I started a podcast back in January. Aside from being a podcast listener, I had no prior audio experience so take my advice with that in mind. I read a lot on equipment and ultimately decided to skip USB mics altogether. We're using Audio-Technica ATR2100 XLR mics and I've been really pleased with the results. They have a USB option but we're using XLR to a mixer with that connects via USB to my MacBook. (links below)

Mics - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QJOZS4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mixer - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00871VO5Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are probably better tutorials out there but this video explains how to mix in another host via Skype if you're using a mixer. Anyway, XLR mics and a mixer can be costly for start-up but I think it's worth it if you plan to pursue it as a serious hobby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ampnx9BwlM4

We haven't really found a voice for our show per se but it's turned out to be an interesting way for my wife and I to shoot the poo poo. We talk about pop culture, parenting, life in the burbs and home stuff. We're on iTunes, Google and Stitcher etc. and just crested the 600 download milestone for the year. Check it out and would always love feedback. We're sitting down to record a new episode now.

https://www.mousepadheroes.com [Goon-made logo art!]

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/mousepad-heroes/id1193079083

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I have a Scarlet 2i2 interface, which obviously only has 2 XLR inputs and a Blue Yeti. Ideally I'd like to upgrade to 4 XLR mics. What's the most cost effective way to upgrade? Get a whole new 4 input interface? Two more mics don't need to be great quality. Looking to spend maybe a couple hundred. Any recommendations for equipment to get to upgrade my setup?

Thinking of selling my interface to upgrade it, but the new one has to be at least as good as the 2i2 because I also do voiceover.

EDIT: or even if someone just has a link to a good 4 mic setup, that would be cool. Thanks!

EDITEDIT: Also one more question that may be easier to answer. I want to be able to play clips while recording the podcast that we can hear and also get recorded into Reaper. Any idea how to accomplish this?

Unmature fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 20, 2017

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

The Strategy Gamer Podcast

iTunes Link

Genre
Strategy Games, War games, Grog games

Release Schedule
At least monthly, ideally bi-monthly.

Overview
A podcast covering computer strategy games, computer wargames, and some boardgames. When possible I plan on having goons for guests. Episode #1 was solo, but after doing #2 I really like having a guest (plus the audio sounds way better on #2).

What we need
Guests. Listeners. Are you into strategy games? Wanna talk about it? Hit me up.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Any suggestions for a mic for a lovely room acoustically? I have an AT2020, which was great in a carpeted room with no background, but now I'm in all wood floor, plaster walls. It sounds worse than the mic on my 50 dollar gaming headset in these conditions - way worse, people I Skype with prefer my built in laptop mic to this.

Can I maybe build an enclosure or something? I'd rather pay for an excellent VO mic that has zero range/background than totally redo a room of my house.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Loutre posted:

Any suggestions for a mic for a lovely room acoustically? I have an AT2020, which was great in a carpeted room with no background, but now I'm in all wood floor, plaster walls. It sounds worse than the mic on my 50 dollar gaming headset in these conditions - way worse, people I Skype with prefer my built in laptop mic to this.

Can I maybe build an enclosure or something? I'd rather pay for an excellent VO mic that has zero range/background than totally redo a room of my house.

Rather than a new mic, an MDX4600 might do the trick. Even professional broadcast microphones need something like this in order to sound like what you're looking for. In fact, if I ever had to pare down my equipment, I'd keep the MDX4600 and sell my PR40's (not that they aren't lovely) and use $30 dynamic mics.

If the problem persists, I'd say switch to a dynamic mic rather than a condenser mic, maybe an SM58.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I do a XR (VR/MR/AR, and maybe other advanced user interface technology in the future) podcast and would LOVE any and all feedback on it.

Synthetic Native
Latest episode on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNiiA2anmFE
Other than that, search "Synthetic Native" on your favorite podcast provider. Or subscribe to these:
https://twitter.com/syntheticnative
https://facebook.com/syntheticnative

Genre
XR (VR/MR/AR aka Virtual Reality) and, in the future, other advanced UI technology, Interviews

Release Schedule
Shooting for weekly

Overview
Interview virtual reality creators, evangelists, and enthusiasts on history, science, and trends behind VR

What we need
*really* need to get to 100 youtube subs so I can have a human-readable URL heh. Other than that, just listens or follows on our other social media platforms -- also, interview subjects!

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Loutre posted:

A bit late to this, but it isn't unheard of for people who record audio books to use a closet as a recording space.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
I do!!
I'm part of The Drunken Dead podcast! We talk about nerdy pop culture things, to not so nerdy trivia. We cover a wide gamut of things steadily getting more drunk and more ridiculous! It's a ton of fun!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-drunken-dead-podcast/id733938038?mt=2

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
I have a podcast! Here's the post I made in the Pimp Your Podcast Megathread for the most recent episode:

china bot posted:

The Secret Cinema

Available on: Stitcher | RSS | Website | iTunes | Soundcloud

Social Media: Facebook | Twitter

Store:

via Threadless

Genre: film analysis, theory, and criticism

Release Schedule: once every two weeks, on Friday

Goons: just ol' china bot

Description: Yet another lo-fi film discussion podcast, with the emphasis on discussion, featuring films that are obscure (Corn's-A-Poppin', Mondo New York), bizarre (Uzumaki, Phenomena), or just under-analyzed in general (Troop Beverly Hills, Wild Things). I have a degree in film and no success in the industry, my co-host/girlfriend is an artist, and each episode's guest is a strongly opinionated friend (if we can find one). I also open each episode with samples from the film being covered, to give some context for the discussion.

Most recent episode: Episode #43 - The Minus Man

Paolo and Carrie are joined again by Emily Neil to discuss Hampton Fancher's 1999 existential mystery The Minus Man. Topics include: what the hell this movie is about, literally flirting with death, and one of the greatest trailers in film history.

Next episode: Cool Dog (2010)

(Artwork by Carrie Chaffee)

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Shameless self promotion:

Under A Spell

Website, Patreon, Twitter, iTunes

Genre
RPG Actual Play

Release Schedule
Every other week, hopefully

Overview
Under A Spell is me running the tabletop RPG Spellbound Kingdoms with two or three good friends. Its a game that is pretty different from the usual D&D fare, with swashbuckling action, courtly intrigue, and insidious magic in a innovative dark renaissance fantasy game.

What we need
Listeners, Reviews, etc

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

codyclarke posted:

What's the best cheap way to get podcast stats? Downloads per ep, per month, etc. This is for a podcast that is on iTunes and hosted on one's own host, not on libsyn or soundcloud or whatever.

If you use Wordpress, use Blubrry's podcast plugin and then sign up for their free stat tracking service.

My question: I am looking for a new headset to record Discord interviews etc, preferably one that is wireless. Any recommendations?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Possibly not the best place to post this, but I have two tickets for Lovett or Leave It in London on January 13th. It’s sold out, I can’t go.

Anyone interested?

https://crooked.com/podcast-series/lovett-or-leave-it/

Edit: Gone.

For actual content: Also, how do I get my old Libsyn stats after they changed their system?

thehustler fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 5, 2018

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Movie Morgue
iTunes | Twitter | Facebook | Soundcloud

Latest episode
The Emperor's New Groove

Genre
Film analysis/review

Release Schedule
Weekly (Fridays, occasional early Saturdays)

Overview
The Movie Morgue is a movie autopsy podcast. My co-host Annie and I (and occasional guest) watch a film, sit down and discuss it, looking at context, craft and whatever other wild tangents strike our fancy.

What we need:
Listeners, Guests and Feedback (Holy poo poo, getting feedback is like pulling teeth.)
Oh, and if anyone has any idea how to tell iTunes to change our display picture. That'd be nice. It's supposed to be automatic based on the RSS feed, but it ain't doin it.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
It feels like so many podcasts are built on the idea of two to four people sitting around, knocking back a few drinks, and discussing X or Y topic. Do any of you guys see a market for something more along the lines of an audio documentary? I recorded what I would consider a “pilot” for a podcast, where it’s just me talking in detail about things that should’ve failed but wildly succeeded, considering all the circumstances in its development, like movies with troubled production schedules, dysfunctional bands, video games that took forever to make, etc. I like to think it’s a good idea, but I haven’t felt any drive to work on it some more since I don’t have any feedback as to what a general audience thinks of the concept. What do you all think?

Also, if anyone’s interested, I can provide you with a link to where you can listen to my pilot episode. I’m always open to getting feedback in developing this idea.

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 6, 2018

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

That’s absolutely a decent idea and is basically what podcasts of radio shows from public broadcasters can be like. Lots of production and music/ambient sound.

I’ve been dreaming of this for ages but can’t think of any topics related to science/skepticism which is what we normally do.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

yeah, that sounds along the lines of something that gimlet or npr would make, and (anecdotally, anyway) i have tons of friends who listen to that sort of stuff, and some who listen to that style exclusively. i think the barrier isn't necessarily the audience (or at least not more than any other style), but just that it's so much less time-consuming for creators to just edit a natural conversation between a few people than it is to do a ton of research, write a script, conduct interviews, find music, do sound design, and mix all that together in a compelling way. if you can pull all that off, though, i think you could definitely find an audience. i'd definitely give the pilot a listen if you posted it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Metrofreak posted:

Oh, and if anyone has any idea how to tell iTunes to change our display picture. That'd be nice. It's supposed to be automatic based on the RSS feed, but it ain't doin it.

Are you embedding the album art into each mp3? Gotta do that to make sure it shows up with art everywhere.