Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Twiin, if you're about: it looks like iVardensphere are announced as playing in Dallas, USA and Bradford, UK both on 27th August... Obviously, my hope was to see you in the UK but since the Dallas date is part of the just-announced tour supporting VNV, should I expect bad news about the UK date?

Edit: ah, it's updated to say that iV aren't supporting all dates in the US. Sweet, I'll still get to see you!

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Man, if it's your fault they're coming to Ottawa... thank you

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
New Laibach!

https://youtu.be/6svlYIS3NLI

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Dark as gently caress. I'm hella excited for this.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Twiin, if you're about : it looks like iVardensphere are announced as playing in Dallas, USA and Bradford, UK both on 27th August... Obviously, my hope was to see you in the UK but since the Dallas date is part of the just-announced tour supporting VNV, should I expect bad news about the UK date?

Edit: ah, it's updated to say that iV aren't supporting all dates in the US. Sweet, I'll still get to see you!

So, aside from the festival appearances (Infest, Coldwaves), the iVardensphere that is supporting VNV Nation is the 'Singularity' show, which means it's just Scott and a table of modular synth gear. So neither I nor any drummers will be with Scott on any of those VNV dates, I'm afraid!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rammstein tonight y'all. In like, uh 6 hours or so.

Stooookeeeeddddd

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

extradite THIS! posted:

Rammstein tonight y'all. In like, uh 6 hours or so.

Stooookeeeeddddd

Did you go last year by chance?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Did you go last year by chance?

I didn't, was abroads when they played in Finland. Looks like they're playing the same set now, hope my mom (who saw them last year) won't be disappointed.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

extradite THIS! posted:

I didn't, was abroads when they played in Finland. Looks like they're playing the same set now, hope my mom (who saw them last year) won't be disappointed.

That's what it looks like from the videos in Iceland. I'm still going though. It's not their best show, but it's still really good. The intro and Ramm4 is fun. And Engel is the best it's ever been.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Ugh I want to see Rammstein live again. I've seen them twice, so I'm lucky, but they put on such an awesome show. I saw them at their MSG show like 6 years ago or whenever it was their first time back, and my friend was able to use a family friend connection at MSG to get employee pool tickets, so we had awesome seats near the front- close enough to feel the heat.

Then I saw them a few years later at Worcester (MA) and was about 12 feet from the barrier. Standing outside in 45F weather for a few hours and then being blasted with flamethrowers is intense. AND they played Mein Herz Brennt. I think I cried. Then we got sprayed with soap from the dildo and showered in confetti.

Anyway I'm super jealous of everyone seeing them, especially with 3TEETH. I don't even listen to them too often, but I'd see them again in a heartbeat if I could

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
TBM was fun. Power chords all the way. Also, the drummer they brought in to replace the edgelord was a machine. The audience was interesting since there was some overlap with the goth-industrial scene but also not that much?

And a surprisingly large (well, guess not so surprising) gay fan base which makes me ;-*

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 10, 2017

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Kraftwerk tonight yessssss

:frogsiren:

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Future Days posted:

https://youtu.be/UQTuzUYD58I

KMFDM DOIN that thing they do every now and then.

My $0.02:

- SK can't sing for poo poo, no matter how much autotune he uses.
- Guitars not crunchy enough; beats not harsh enough. PSB's (really good) last couple of albums sound more 'dustrial than KMFDM in TYOOL 2017.
- Really happy to see Brute!'s artwork getting a 21st century treatment. Always wondered why he didn't go full [as]!
- Holy poo poo, I'm amazed at how NOT excited at all I am about KMFDM.

edit: after listening to it a couple of times with actual headphones instead of $2 ones, it's not so bad; it's just lackluster. I guess I'll just go back to the neofolk thread and stab myself in the face with a Pepe pin.

I know this might not need saying about KMFDM in the year 2017, but Sascha must not give a fuuuuuuck anymore letting his album get mixed like that.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Yeah that was a drat good show, no way around it. Greatest show on Earth. During Ramm 4 Till wore like this all-white white ringmaster outfit and when he threw the hat it exploded in mid-air :rock: Festival itself was organized mostly ok until the point when people started to exit. Absolute shitshow.

:hellyeah: have fun, friend!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Whispering Machines posted:

Ugh I want to see Rammstein live again. I've seen them twice, so I'm lucky, but they put on such an awesome show. I saw them at their MSG show like 6 years ago or whenever it was their first time back, and my friend was able to use a family friend connection at MSG to get employee pool tickets, so we had awesome seats near the front- close enough to feel the heat.

Then I saw them a few years later at Worcester (MA) and was about 12 feet from the barrier. Standing outside in 45F weather for a few hours and then being blasted with flamethrowers is intense. AND they played Mein Herz Brennt. I think I cried. Then we got sprayed with soap from the dildo and showered in confetti.

You know there's a DVD of the MSG show, right? Some of the footage is from the Montreal show on that same tour, but you still might be able to spot yourself. It's a cool memento. I picked it up since I saw them on that first tour in Chicago with the same set as MSG, and I also got up in the first few rows. Nobody tells you it's soap. You just find out by getting it in your eyes. I got a cool pic of flake going over my head in a raft during haifisch.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

saw them two years ago when they were doing their 3D tour, it was amazing but just don't expect any of them to actually being doing anything live. What a tits gig, stand up for 2 hours a night and get $$$

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Photex posted:

saw them two years ago when they were doing their 3D tour, it was amazing but just don't expect any of them to actually being doing anything live. What a tits gig, stand up for 2 hours a night and get $$$

They're actually doing all kinds of things live, they don't have all those controllers on the stage for nothing. It's live electronic music, man.

edit: In fact, Kraftwerk is a whole lot more live than a LOT of bands in the g/i scene, where many many many many bands only do live vocals. Kraftwerk does more or less everything you can see or hear live.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 10, 2017

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

extradite THIS! posted:

They're actually doing all kinds of things live, they don't have all those controllers on the stage for nothing. It's live electronic music, man.

edit: In fact, Kraftwerk is a whole lot more live than a LOT of bands in the g/i scene, where many many many many bands only do live vocals. Kraftwerk does more or less everything you can see or hear live.

That'll be a change from when Tom Ellard of Severed Heads saw 'em:

Tom Ellard posted:

I saw Kraftwerk play live in 1981. It was wonderful. They brought their whole opera stage with them; all those green/yellow Wagnerian boxes and knobs and neon tubes. They seemed to enjoy their show as much as their personas allowed (even daring to tap their toes) and were just then at the peak of their musical importance. It was so vital in the early 80’s Australia to have this approval from on high for music that was from a different planet to AC/DC. We were empowered by it.

We played live, knowing that we were a small part of a global musical change. At one of these gigs the sound guy told me he’d done the stage sound for the Kraftwerk show. It was all on an open reel tape he said. But what about the screw up about 3/4 of the way through the set? Same screw up every show. On tape.

That didn’t matter too much to me. When later on the boxes and knobs were revealed to be flat packed sets it seemed clever not have to carry your real studio around the world with you. Besides – it’s Kraftwerk. They get a pass.

Perhaps they're doing more now, or perhaps the world is more used to "live" shows that are basically karaoke to the record's backing track ...

(There was a recording going around of VNV Nation at the DNA Lounge in 2001. If you play "Epicentre" from the Futureperfect CD in mono, you'll hear the bass disappears - they got the phase wrong. If you listen to the DNA Lounge recording in mono, you'll hear the same phase error. Got bitten by this one trying to play "Epicentre" when DJing in a club with a typically cheese-and-string club sound system, and discovering the "live" version had the same problem.)

Ellard adds in a comment:

Tom Ellard posted:

I do want to clarify that Florian is excused from any of this. Florian was already laughing at it in 1981. Read about the Melbourne show and ‘going out for a curry’.

Can't dredge up what he's talking about there - anyone know?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sure. That's in the past. This is what they do now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_7URJHwduE

You can clearly see how everything they do affects some part of the music or even the visuals. If you listen to different recordings of the same song, it is obvious where a melody is played or where a parametre is changed live. Every song is obviously sequenced beforehand, but they can control essentially every part of it live.

Edit: Is... is this a new concept to some people here? This is how a whole lot of electronic music is performed live.

Edit 2: To be clear, I'm not trying to be snide here, it's an honest question. I've been involved in various electronic music scenes as a fan and as a music creator myself for a some time now and might unfairly think that people in threads like this are more or less in the know about stuff like this.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 10, 2017

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

extradite THIS! posted:

Sure. That's in the past. This is what they do now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_7URJHwduE

You can clearly see how everything they do affects some part of the music or even the visuals. If you listen to different recordings of the same song, it is obvious where a melody is played or where a parametre is changed live. Every song is obviously sequenced beforehand, but they can control essentially every part of it live.

Edit: Is... is this a new concept to some people here? This is how a whole lot of electronic music is performed live.

I really hate to burst your bubble but they've even licensed out the "live show", I went on a cruise this past winter and saw a nightly show called Spectre's Cabaret there was a 10 minute Kraftwerk section which was literally what I saw the year before at Kraftwerk 3D, same animations and everything exactly.

I'm not knocking it as a show because it was loving amazing and I would go again, but you could throw four mannequins up there They'll actually loving do this by the way for We Are The Robots again proving that the show is entirely scripted and still get the same result.

http://cdm.link/2015/02/kraftwerk-live-rig-exposed-really-checking-email/

some more proof they don't do nearly as much as you think.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Photex posted:

I really hate to burst your bubble but they've even licensed out the "live show", I went on a cruise this past winter and saw a nightly show called Spectre's Cabaret there was a 10 minute Kraftwerk section which was literally what I saw the year before at Kraftwerk 3D, same animations and everything exactly.

I'm not knocking it as a show because it was loving amazing and I would go again, but you could throw four mannequins up there They'll actually loving do this by the way for We Are The Robots again proving that the show is entirely scripted and still get the same result.

http://cdm.link/2015/02/kraftwerk-live-rig-exposed-really-checking-email/

some more proof they don't do nearly as much as you think.

Sorry man, but I looked up a Spectre's Cabaret video and found a Kraftwerk bit and it is quite literally not the same visuals as Kraftwerk uses. I know this because I've seen them four times and watched the live DVD and the new Catalogue poo poo several times. That just is not the same at all. The music might as well be, could be playback.

The Robots is a special case because that song is quite obviously something else than every single other song in the show.

Also, have you read that article or watched the embedded video? It shows the exact thing I was talking about.

Edit: Of course, the only Spectre's Cabaret thing I could find is from 2015 so who knows, maybe that has changed. But the Robots bit in this most definitely doesn't have even remotely the same visuals.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 10, 2017

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Photex posted:

I have seen them before, and know what to expect :v:

To be fair, when I saw them before, their show also involved the British Olympic cycling team as part of it!

(also, a hell of a lot of industrial & related genre bands are one guy behind a laptop not doing much with no visuals so :shrug:)

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

extradite THIS! posted:

Sorry man, but I looked up a Spectre's Cabaret video and found a Kraftwerk bit and it is quite literally not the same visuals as Kraftwerk uses. I know this because I've seen them four times and watched the live DVD and the new Catalogue poo poo several times. That just is not the same at all. The music might as well be, could be playback.

The Robots is a special case because that song is quite obviously something else than every single other song in the show.

Also, have you read that article or watched the embedded video? It shows the exact thing I was talking about.

Of course I read the article, and I'm not arguing that they're not doing "Something" at some shows but you said it yourself the entire show is sequenced and they didn't do poo poo at the Wang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAS8L3v2tzU&t=1306s

and as far as the Cabaret licensing goes I asked the lighting designer while I was on the ship (I work in live production so I was curious about the tech specs, there are 30 projectors being used in that video + 6 articulating LED video walls) that and he told me the Kraftwerk section was licensed directly from them and they used the same company who created the 3D visuals for the 2015 tour.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

extradite THIS! posted:

A couple of bands in the g/i scene over the years haven't even bothered with live vocals, but luckily miming seems to be pretty rare, as far as I can tell.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Photex posted:

Of course I read the article, and I'm not arguing that they're not doing "Something" at some shows but you said it yourself the entire show is sequenced and they didn't do poo poo at the Wang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAS8L3v2tzU&t=1306s

and as far as the Cabaret licensing goes I asked the lighting designer while I was on the ship (I work in live production so I was curious about the tech specs, there are 30 projectors being used in that video + 6 articulating LED video walls) that and he told me the Kraftwerk section was licensed directly from them and they used the same company who created the 3D visuals for the 2015 tour.

Then I guess you've just had some rotten luck, sorry to hear that. I've seen them four times and there's always been a fair bit of improvisational stuff happening. Of course the sequenced nature of the music means that they can essentially just hang out there if they feel like it, I'm not going to deny that.

That sounds like the MUSIC (edit: and/or the permission to do a "Kraftwerk bit" in the show) is licensed, which it obviously has to be. Kraftwerk is notoriously trigger-happy when it comes to copyright. But look at the visuals in the video you posted, and then look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siC1Gr_CS-A

Those visuals are nowhere near the same at all. IIRC none of Kraftwerk's current live songs have visuals exactly like those, either. Could very well be that the company just made some new ones for the Cabaret thing, because I'm guessing Kraftwerk owns the actual rights to the visuals they use (and would guard them in a very Kraftwerk, over-my-dead-body kind of way).

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 10, 2017

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Now playing: Echtzeit by Loewenhertz. Um, basically they want to be Wolfsheim when they grow up. And I'm looking through all these other reviews and I seem to be the only person in the world to notice, so maybe I'm on crack but those are completely Wolfsheim vocal stylings and chord changes. Not that there's anything wrong with that in any way, of course. But yeah, '90s-style angsty German synthpop that fits right into industrial, of a genre with Wolfsheim, Beborn Beton and Silke Bischoff. The singles are also worth your time in full - "Unsichtbar" and "Irgendwann". Next single at the end of this month is "Wer sind Wir", which sounds like ... Wolfsheim! It's a good album, but, and worth your time if you like synthpop angst.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Kraftwerk update:

I can only assume that the guy who climbed onstage and attempted to show his arse to the crowd had got really drunk at the football or something, since he was dragged offstage by security without even getting a reaction out of the band (where he then collapsed, presumably blind drunk, and had to be removed from the venue in a wheelchair).

I mean seriously, it was hardly a cheap gig, so I have no idea what he was thinking! Of all the bands to try to stage invade...

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lwngbPdAyw

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

I love HFF's awesome faux Cabaret Voltaire retro vibe, it is so awesome.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Body of Light were very good — see them if you can. Cabaret Voltaire was playing on the pre-set playlist. Bought Andrew a beer after the show and not so subtly suggested that they should tour with Boy Harsher — said he loved their music, it was a good idea, and that he'd love for something like that to happen. So grateful bands like Body of Light, Boy Harsher, and High-Functioning Flesh are putting out fresh new mean industrial sounds.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/idie_youdie/status/874122991042297856

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Blvck Ceiling is one of those artists who just shits out dozens of releases so I don't dig through his stuff much, but I've really been enjoying his first Ocean Tapes.

https://blvckceiling.bandcamp.com/album/ocean-tapes

Just a bunch of song samples remixed to be lofi and 'spooky', but it's pretty chill. I really wish bands would stop doing cassette releases though.

BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

Not only is the music good, there is just the right amount of self-awareness to make the whole thing fun too.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
loving Skinny Puppy show tomorrow and I have tickets but won't be going due to work. ☹️

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

W424 posted:

loving Skinny Puppy show tomorrow and I have tickets but won't be going due to work. ☹️

:cmon:

Sorry to hear that man. I'm of course going

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

I tried to get into Cabaret Voltaire in college, but could never really swallow their critically acclaimed experimental stuff. Your comment inspired me to take another look into their catalog, and I discovered C.O.D.E. which is incredible. New summer album — give me that smooth industrial funk.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

DasNeonLicht posted:

I tried to get into Cabaret Voltaire in college, but could never really swallow their critically acclaimed experimental stuff. Your comment inspired me to take another look into their catalog, and I discovered C.O.D.E. which is incredible. New summer album — give me that smooth industrial funk.

In all honesty, I only actually ever really listen to Micro-Phonies and The Covenant, The Sword & the Arm of the Lord these days.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

DasNeonLicht posted:

Don't Argue is the highlight, imo.

BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

DasNeonLicht posted:

The Drain Train might be another good one to check out too...I think it was right before Code and extremely funky. Groovy, Laidback and Nasty on the other hand, well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't remember if I ever saw it mentioned here or not but OhGr is crowdfunding a new album called Tricks.