Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I like the parts where he

1) said the Exo Stranger "story arc" is complete

2) devolved Mara Sov's entire character down into "cosplay bait"

Lore nerds are having actual meltdowns on youtube right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I once looked at that grimoire thing on the app explicitly to find out what the gently caress darkness was and their own lore poo poo says that the scientists of current day have no idea what to call it/what it is.

also for a new subclass I want a Cabal-themed one where I get huge gatling guns and missiles coming out of my huge titan pauldrons, here's an artist's rendering

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He also said I'd throw money at my TV which has not yet happened because that's not going to accomplish anything.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
Yeah, Taken and SIVA powers mite b cool. They even have distinctive colors, black/white and red. Fund it.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I like the parts where he

1) said the Exo Stranger "story arc" is complete

2) devolved Mara Sov's entire character down into "cosplay bait"

Lore nerds are having actual meltdowns on youtube right now

It loving rules

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

xzzy posted:

He also said I'd throw money at my TV which has not yet happened because that's not going to accomplish anything.

I don't even own a tv.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Time to accept that D2 is a complete reboot of the Destiny story. At this point I'm convinced Bungie will make 4 games. D1 in Smith's own words was a beta, an "episode zero". They've written a new story and will tell it over 3 new games.

I fully expect D2 to be dumbed down. I expect the game to be more like Halo. I expect the difficulty of obtaining exotics and various end game items to be decreased. I expect the difficulty of raiding to be decreased.

I have nearly 60 days play time on D1 across three toons. The overhaul of the story and the removal of the grimoire won't keep me from buying D2, but the more that is revealed about the game the more I can see me spending less time with D2. In the end, accountants always win. RIP original grand plan for the Destiny universe.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I wanna attack the darkness

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

They already kinda walked that all back in ttk though.

Hive are servants of worms that worship the darkness. Taken are cunts too.

Fallen are just rear end in a top hat space refugees who got rekt by civil war. Siva fallen are space-isis.

No one knows what the vex actually are except they show up and kill poo poo and build machines in tunnels and want something.

Cabal are conquering assholes possibly running from something but not necessarily super evil but we bumped em heaps.

I do like though how they hinted at this coming in ttk with the stuff from the intercepted cabal transmissions from ttk. Cabal intel talked about zombies getting up and looting their dead and then doing sick nasty sparrow tricks and dancing. Then we hosed up their soldiers trying to kill oryx and now their boss is like wtf?

How much more could they have juiced from the stranger and the queen? Oh yeah one works for osiris probably and uses vex tech and yeah the queen passed out from her spirit bomb but shes just sleepin it off in the throne room but they dont have the light so the cabal dont care.

Im going to guess the Osiris expansion is partly taken from the "vex void" expansion announced in the original roadmap and the rasputin one is going to be more siva/fallen stuff.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

BlindSite posted:

No one knows what the vex actually are except they show up and kill poo poo and build machines in tunnels and want something.

I bet Tei does.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
All the dangling story bits from D1 would make for a good number of tounge in cheeck, self aware side quests.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Policenaut posted:

I once looked at that grimoire thing on the app explicitly to find out what the gently caress darkness was and their own lore poo poo says that the scientists of current day have no idea what to call it/what it is.

also for a new subclass I want a Cabal-themed one where I get huge gatling guns and missiles coming out of my huge titan pauldrons, here's an artist's rendering

itt the only gunpla I've ever owned gets posted

sunday at work posted:

All the dangling story bits from D1 would make for a good number of tounge in cheeck, self aware side quests.

This tho, kinda like the Praedyth references in Paradox. I like Destiny as a self-aware game. :v:

PS: Did everyone see those "Poison/Lifeforce Warlock" concepts posted a while ago? This was easily the coolest speculative anything I've ever seen anyone do for this game:
http://imgur.com/a/moNEd

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Legs Benedict posted:

RIP original grand plan for the Destiny universe.

From what I understand the original plan for Destiny was dead before the release when they were forced to change the story.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

limaCAT posted:

I bet Tei does.

They come from the cyber portal in the room where we first kill Oryx. Thats the portal that Crota created and the vex used to enter our realm. They probably come from other universe where they have turned everything into computers.

<<--- here is the start of the vex invasion.

My theory about how his technology works:

You can't actually time travel matter, but you can influence quantic events in the past. The Vex use this to direct the grown of crystals million of years ago. They grown huge antennas so they repeat again the process, but amplified and more precise, that they use to build even more complex machines. Finally they build circuits and they sent themselves as information that they upload to new bodies they have build. It can take hundreds of years to influence the formation of a single atom, but from that point the grown is geometric.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Did you check the cube maps? I bet there's a hint in there.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

Floppychop posted:

From what I understand the original plan for Destiny was dead before the release when they were forced to change the story.

Yeah but reddit spergs can't accept that poo poo for some reason

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Tei posted:

They come from the cyber portal in the room where we first kill Oryx. Thats the portal that Crota created and the vex used to enter our realm. They probably come from other universe where they have turned everything into computers.

<<--- here is the start of the vex invasion.

My theory about how his technology works:

You can't actually time travel matter, but you can influence quantic events in the past. The Vex use this to direct the grown of crystals million of years ago. They grown huge antennas so they repeat again the process, but amplified and more precise, that they use to build even more complex machines. Finally they build circuits and they sent themselves as information that they upload to new bodies they have build. It can take hundreds of years to influence the formation of a single atom, but from that point the grown is geometric.

:allears:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Weak, Tei.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
There are three or four legit sci-fi games worth of backstory in Destiny. To bad they all got mashed together without any overall vision and rushed out in six months.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Eh at least we have a story this time.

Space jerks are being jerks and took your poo poo go do something about it.

Better than "oh hey youre like a saviour or something, go saviour stuff".

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

lol man I totally forgot just how terrible Luke Smith is. The fact that he talks about being a Scarab Lord in WoW, like 12 years later, shows just how loving broken he is (that title meant that he and 39 of his closest friends were the biggest poopsockers on the server).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

BlindSite posted:

I can't wait to gently caress the Speaker up because they'll probably bring back that plot point. Teach you to give me some goddamn fetch quests for Age of Triumph bitch.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
can someone give me sorta a run down on what little plot there was in destiny

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!

eonwe posted:

can someone give me sorta a run down on what little plot there was in destiny

Vex bad, Hive bad, Fallen bad, Hive and Taken bad, Fallen bad again.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
are those the aliens

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I've said for literally years that the destiny lore is accidentally good because of all the weird hooks and grey areas that remain open in the aftermath of a disjointed reboot and reshuffle of the story.

Turns out I was right, as is customary.

Destiny's weird lore and grimoire format is catnip for aspies.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

BlindSite posted:

I want to be the space jerk and have a D-Generation X suck it emote

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Someone gif the toothpick scene from Rain Man but instead of toothpicks it's grimoire cards and Dustin Hoffman instead says "Rasputin killed the traveler to stop it from fleeing"

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

catnip for aspies.

mods name change please

tia

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I've said for literally years that the destiny lore is accidentally good because of all the weird hooks and grey areas that remain open in the aftermath of a disjointed reboot and reshuffle of the story.

Yeah they basically had a bunch of little fractures or stuff referenced so they could expand on some of it and leave a lot of it just as bits and pieces which the nerds ate up. They actually did a pretty good job of salvaging a decent amount of lore and atmosphere from what they had.

I think it's a much better approach than trying to make the game very linear and story driven since it's designed to be played over and over again.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I'll be honest, the story was entirely unimportant to my enjoyment of destiny. The moment to moment gameplay and doing strikes/raids with friends were what kept me interested. I don't even remember who Mara Sov was. The queen of the purple people or something.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Did they ever tell us what the big white orb is?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

iirc its the thing that makes the light that keeps you from dying for real

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Destiyn 3 should just be framed as another Final Destination movie, since most of the guardians have cheated death so hard for so long.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

moist turtleneck posted:

Did they ever tell us what the big white orb is?

The moon

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

It's not a joke, the 10 year plan wasn't some 3 act arc for the franchise but rather a 10 year beta until the real Destiny: The Game is released.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
People who think a fourth element type would be based off the traditional "earth-wind-fire" poo poo or "the darkness" are dumb. The 3 current elements are based off three of the four fundamental interactions of matter. Void is gravity, Arc is electromagnetic, and Solar is the strong interraction. That leaves the weak interraction responsible for radioactive decay. Assuming they ever add a third element, it'll be based on radiation and will probably be green glowy poo poo.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The fourth element is love

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Schizotek posted:

People who think a fourth element type would be based off the traditional "earth-wind-fire" poo poo or "the darkness" are dumb. The 3 current elements are based off three of the four fundamental interactions of matter. Void is gravity, Arc is electromagnetic, and Solar is the strong interraction. That leaves the weak interraction responsible for radioactive decay. Assuming they ever add a third element, it'll be based on radiation and will probably be green glowy poo poo.

Oh so the next game will be Destiny Uranium?
Sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

moist turtleneck posted:

The fourth element is love

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 16, 2017