Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lakbay posted:

All movies based on real video games have been cursed to be bad for eternity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQy-eJALZI0

GLUG GLUG GLUG GLUG GLUG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Lakbay posted:

All movies based on real video games have been cursed to be bad for eternity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzWClNWNIaY

:911:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
From the Waypoint talk on BG&E2, it seems like they have the right idea and the team is fully aware that the stuff in it is super ambitious. Like that's the point of the Space Monkey stuff, to let the community help them keep on track. Which hopefully they don't listen to NewDongCity420 on major gameplay decisions.

I'm optimistic, but I'm extremely braced for that game to never exist.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Morby posted:

Who is clamoring for poo poo like WoW the movie and rear end Creed the movie and now this?

Studio Exec's seen a property with a built in audience, story, and marketing and figure it can make a profit. And make it CGI flashy enough with a simple story and it can be sold as a movie overseas/China.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm glad it's China who's the big gaming movie market and not Korea or else we'd be halfway through a MOBA dodecalogy

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

OneDeadman posted:

Like that's the point of the Space Monkey stuff, to let the community help them keep on track.

Do Early Access/backer supported games work that way? I thought usually the community just encouraged feature bloat

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It bothers me that the two modern Wolfenstein game subtitles include the adjective "New"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, but "The New Colossus" comes with a pretty great heaping of irony for a Wolfenstein game set in Nazi-occupied America.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
I'm not necessarily sure Warcraft as movie is even a bad idea, they just chose a really bad story to use.

e: wow that's a lotta posts in the time it took me to type this, huh.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Imagined posted:

It's just a shame Duncan Jones had to get his good name tarnished by that poo poo.

if it funded his Mute film in any way then it was totally worth it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Guy Goodbody posted:

Do Early Access/backer supported games work that way? I thought usually the community just encouraged feature bloat

It doesn't look like they're asking the space monkeys for money, more like an extended alpha/beta/general community building thing. Might cut down on the entitlement or at least give them stronger grounds to blow everyone off.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Warcraft was surprisingly entertaining and well produced for what it was (a soulless orgy of CGI), probably thanks to the fact that Jones is actually talented. If you ever played WoW or the RTSes it's worth a watch stoned w/ friends imo

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Fuligin posted:

it's worth a watch stoned w/ friends imo

TBF there aren't many movies you couldn't say this about.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
They're demoing Odyssey again, and showing off the water, and when Mario went in the pipe, I noticed the pipe noise made the plants move to the sound. Not sure if it was intentional or not.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/875423986091384832

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nintendo stream looks like it's mostly repeats today? Sony is demoing Ace Combat 7 in an hour

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Not seen in this video is Shigeru Miyamoto who is in the restroom scrubbing his undergarments

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Nintendo stream looks like it's mostly repeats today? Sony is demoing Ace Combat 7 in an hour

It's on right now. I love how they are pretending like Assault Horizon never even happened. "Fans have been waiting for a while, it's been what, 10 years since Ace Combat 6?" Also the music already owns. I just wish they talked more about the game if they mean to talk over it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Dungeon Defenders 2 has this weird system where community involvement would give you points and you could use those points to vote on features that were multiple-choice. In the end, the developers kept control of the project through being the ones to offer up what gets voted on but the community still ended up (seemingly) getting what it wanted. I think that's a proper way to go.
Edit: Except it's worth noting there are still a couple of stupidly bloaty and useless features stuck in the game that they've never properly fleshed out and the community never rallied to get these things fixed, so now it's just a part of the game.

Antti posted:

It's on right now. I love how they are pretending like Assault Horizon never even happened. "Fans have been waiting for a while, it's been what, 10 years since Ace Combat 6?" Also the music already owns. I just wish they talked more about the game if they mean to talk over it.
Er, which stream is this? Not seeing it on either YouTube's or Twitch's.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 15, 2017

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kotaku interviewed David Cage
Despite Political Overtones, David Cage Says Detroit Is Mostly About Androids

quote:

“The story I’m telling is really about androids,” he told me in an interview after the demo. “They’re discovering emotions and wanting to be free. If people want to see parallels with this or that, that’s fine with me. But my story’s about androids who want to be free.”

quote:

“It’s the point of view of one of the two characters,” he said. “What I tried to do with this game is not be binary, not be black or white, or good or evil. Sometimes doing something bad can turn into something good, or vice versa. There’s usually more than one component [to situations in the game]. There’s the androids, there’s the humans, there’s the public, there’s the media. Your own people, what will they think of what you’re doing depending on how you do it, what you say about it to them, what you say to the humans? The situation is not binary. It’s actually quite multifaceted.”

And yet, this pivotal scene unfolded clunkily, relying on a binary meter to help convey a complex spectrum of ideas. I pointed that out to Cage, who explained that the scene will have more factors playing into it in the final game. “[The meter] is a part of this unique scene,” he said. “What is difficult for us to explain is that this scene is the only scene in the entire game where you have this gameplay and this situation. There’s a lot happening. The complexity emerges from the broader story arc and not just this scene.”

quote:

“I don’t want the game to have something to say, because I don’t see myself delivering a message to people,” he said. “But I’m definitely interested in asking questions to the player. Questions that are meaningful and that resonate with him as a person and a citizen. We live in a world that’s full of hopes as well as fears. Fears about the present and also the future. Where are we going? What’s going to happen? I just want to ask these questions and see how people react.”

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm shocked that someone would try to claim his games aren't about "Political issues" in the wake of the shocking resolution of the thirteenth machine war.

The portrayal of humanity can only be due to those recent events, and I, for one, am ashamed he would try to hide behind a claim that it's "Just about androids"

Glory to mankind.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

WHAT IF KILLER ROBOTS WERE GOOD
by David Cage (Age 9)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Will the lady android take a shower in a fifteen-minute-long interactive cutscene

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Infinitum posted:

WHAT IF KILLER ROBOTS WERE GOOD
by David Cage (Age 9)

Androids are good.

Machines are bad.

Thinking otherwise is against regulations.

Glory to mankind.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The story is "What if we owned people?" and it's not politically charged? Really, Cage? That's what we're doing now?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
“I don’t want the game to have something to say, because I don’t see myself delivering a message to people,”

then what the gently caress is the point of the game?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The E3 trailer begins with a black android singing a slave spiritual

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I still don't understand how David Cage became someone who's treated as a serious artist when he should have become the game version of the guy who made Fateful Findings. It's bad for everyone involved.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

“I don’t want the game to have something to say, because I don’t see myself delivering a message to people,”

then what the gently caress is the point of the game?
all that means is that he doesn't understand the message of his own game, which no poo poo, its David Cage

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Samuringa posted:

The story is "What if we owned people?" and it's not politically charged? Really, Cage? That's what we're doing now?

Look, it's just a book I wrote, about myself, and the struggles that I've had in life.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

David Cage is the M. Night Shyamalan of video games

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

chaleski posted:

David Cage is the M. Night Shyamalan of video games

Except he'll never make anything good.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
no god, no masters, no david cage

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

omikron was good, it had david bowie in it

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Except he'll never make anything good.

Sounds like someone is forgetting the necrophilia scenes in Indigo Prophecy.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

He's more like the Paul W S Anderson of games.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

David Cage + Peter Molyneux = ???

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is Indigo Prophecy the single most culturally dated bideo game ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

homeless snail posted:

omikron was good, it had david bowie in it

No it wasn't. It did have bowie though which is alright.

• Locked thread