Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Experience massive, crippling cognitive dissonance at the notion that questions could be anything less than the most important thing ever

"I bet it'll be a good life-changing event," they said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Consider what would happen to Snarls if we disappeared on this mission, he'd be in the same position as the Orm is right now. We wouldn't want Snarls spending all his time in a cave somewhere crying until the end of days because Fare captured us while we were searching for Mrs Snake.

Ralith posted:

Experience massive, crippling cognitive dissonance at the notion that questions could be anything less than the most important thing ever

"I bet it'll be a good life-changing event," they said.

It was not a good life-changing event. It was a great one.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

RESIST

The only thing we seek is the glorification of EL!

And we find it every day!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I still think we can totally do this without being mind controlled, all we need is to dig out the other passage and then bring Snarls to her chamber to pick up the scent. Still need to focus on not being controlled first.

e: and now I need to stop posting as I've already posted way too much this update.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
gently caress u snek, u r a good snek but we is our own man ... creature.
I AM ENKIDEL & I AM THE GREATEST, U DON'T COMMAND ME SNEK

losing ormwife sux tho, tell u what snek give me sum more info then I'll ask this old guy I know

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

I still think we can totally do this without being mind controlled, all we need is to dig out the other passage and then bring Snarls to her chamber to pick up the scent. Still need to focus on not being controlled first.

e: and now I need to stop posting as I've already posted way too much this update.

pretty much yeah, i'm totally down with ormquest but i really, really don't want to forsake everything for ormquest

particularly since i suspect we will be much, much more efficient if we are able to act in our usual manner? like, why isn't having Snarls get a scent of the Orm and the Orm-wife's chambers, an option here? because we are so filled with an overwhelming need to act now that we aren't thinking.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I'm also kind of realizing this might be what happened to Barkof. Not necessarily the Orm, but rather a similar entity, possibly Fare or Mokt. A similar date might have befallen Amok, and likely us had we been captured.

Except it wouldn't be accidental, and we'd have no chance to resist.

Edit: gently caress you phone.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

I'm also ki d of realizing this might be what happened to Barkof. Not necessarily the Orm, but rather a similar entity, possibly Fare or Money. A similar date might have befallen Amok, and likely us had we been captured.

Except it wouldn't be accidental, and we'd have no chance to resist.

I like to imagine the Money typo is meant to be Monkey, Danal's old pet.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

SerSpook posted:

I like to imagine the Money typo is meant to be Monkey, Danal's old pet.

Arghh this what I get for being bed ridden and posting from a phone.

Edit: send help my phone is killing me.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
No matter what happens I demand to know how the Melachim can be ultra powerful beings and leave this for loving creature to weep a river of tears for a thousand years.

MERCY YOU FUCKS, DO YOU SPEAK IT!
HOLY COCK BAG gently caress YOU!

Right up your backside. This is unconscionable.

I'm mad.

The more I think about this the madder I get.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Arkanomen posted:

No matter what happens I demand to know how the Melachim can be ultra powerful beings and leave this for loving creature to weep a river of tears for a thousand years.

I'm mad.

What if snek is actually an incel stalker, and lady snake was never his girlfriend? He had people paint all these pictures of her and stuff to try to convince her what a good guy he is, but she never wanted anything to do with him?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Z. "... I'll get right on that"
Time to see just how much the old man knows.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

I'm mad.

what if lady snake is dead and this is an impossible quest

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
But for real Orm Bro how exactly do you misplace a giant rainbow colored snake? Not calling your lady fat or anything, she fine as hell based on the mural, but she ain't exactly pocket sized, you feel me? You sure he didn't leave you due to you being clingy as gently caress? Maybe she decided to move with that 7-bird guy, I hear he has reptile people, with get this, legs! That's so much cooler than slithering everywhere.

Seriously, how did she get killed without him realizing? What happened to all his people? Where are the bodies? So many questionsz. That will probably never get answered.

the_steve posted:

I'm inclined to disagree. If anything, it would have spurred the wrong voters on to dive headfirst down the Ormhole even faster.

That makes no sense. Based on our information there was no reason to believe the Orm was completely closed to diplomacy. And we had been voting to avoid direct confrontation, except for the dumb people voting to shout. Exploring this place was in no way wrong voting.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Mr. Nemo posted:

Exploring this place was in no way wrong voting.

Word.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mr. Nemo posted:

Seriously, how did she get killed without him realizing? What happened to all his people? Where are the bodies? So many questionsz. That will probably never get answered.

His civilization got wrecked like a thousand years ago. The bodies are dust, dude. Or just unseen under rubble and Lake Grief. Given the proximity to the ocean they could also have been eaten by sea demons. Maybe that's why he was willing to splat a Doom to save the souls of Taanach.

I wonder what his interaction with Zepa was like? He didn't want to step on Zepa's turf, which implies they must have met but not killed each other.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Arkanomen posted:

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Have you heard? The Cannibal King of Kavodel has finally ssssnapped! Now he ssspends hisss daysss in sssearch of ssserpentssss, assssaulting passssersss by with endlesssss ssssnake related queriessss! Sssssmythossss pressserve! Issss thissss what the world issss coming too?

Asss for my vote, i ssssugessst we Resssisssst but go along with it anyway, finding ssssnakewife isssss a noble causssss. Z.

We do our bessst thinking when we can actually think. Isssshamal probably knowsss where to sssstart looking, but he isss more powerful than ussss and would kill ussss if we flew, so letsss jussst run to him insssstead.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SerSpook posted:

BLASPHEMER!

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Alternate history speculation time! Asherak, totally male. Zepa stone says female. Zepa claimed these lands after defeating Asherak the "whore of desolation" and throwing her into the sea.

So Zepa strolls up to this area, finds it occupied by a bunch of snake people (nagas), and defeats their lady ruler, casting her into the ocean. Then he claims the land forever, having tossed the Orm's mate into the sea. Someone made a deal with the Orm to keep him from going on a berserker rampage, thus the whole "did they send you" stuff. We should definitely find out who "they" are.

Resist. Ask questions, questions are love, questions are life.

Who are "they? "

What is her name?

How old are you?

Do you know Amok? Damat? Faramu?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

SerSpook posted:

Then wipe out its memory or give it something that was just like her or put it in a blissful slumber. Its clearly a child like intellect. There's free will and then there's An Rand Bootstraps and then to go a level beyond there's the Melachim.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Arkanomen posted:

I'm mad.

Angels are dicks. One wing dipped in blood, the other eternally sliding a pair of shades on as they say "deal with it" in Enochian.

Olothreutes posted:

Alternate history speculation time! Asherak, totally male. Zepa stone says female. Zepa claimed these lands after defeating Asherak the "whore of desolation" and throwing her into the sea.

So Zepa strolls up to this area, finds it occupied by a bunch of snake people (nagas), and defeats their lady ruler, casting her into the ocean. Then he claims the land forever, having tossed the Orm's mate into the sea. Someone made a deal with the Orm to keep him from going on a berserker rampage, thus the whole "did they send you" stuff. We should definitely find out who "they" are.

Resist. Ask questions, questions are love, questions are life.

Who are "they? "

What is her name?

How old are you?

Do you know Amok? Damat? Faramu?

Also, do this

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009
If it's not the demons but the Melachim / Trio / Jael etc.. that have hosed up things like Amok's civilization, hostilized to the point of insanity 7-bird, and made the Orm so sad...
Somehow this is what I get as a feeling/plot-twist. That El is not the good guys. This sneaking suspicion, perhaps totally unwarranted, at the back of our mind. Like a perpetually gnawing light hunger...

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Ubern00b posted:

If it's not the demons but the Melachim / Trio / Jael etc.. that have hosed up things like Amok's civilization, hostilized to the point of insanity 7-bird, and made the Orm so sad...
Somehow this is what I get as a feeling/plot-twist. That El is not the good guys. This sneaking suspicion, perhaps totally unwarranted, at the back of our mind. Like a perpetually gnawing light hunger...
I dunno, the giants were pretty morally unambiguous.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It's going to be funny if we DO find Her and she tells us to gently caress off.

"Do you have ANY idea how many strings Azz and I had to pull, how many loopholes we had to twist through to get me out of there in the first place!? YOU think he was overbearing? Imagine living with it for the past 10,000 years! I needed space! Did he even read the letter I left behind?"

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I haven't voted in a while (because working for the NORCs exhausts me) but there's not a better time than now.

RESIST

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Ubern00b posted:

Maybe they did, some time in ancient history. I'm betting 75% odds on "some angels hosed poo poo up", leading to the extremely hands-off stance they have now. But that doesn't mean they're not humanity's best hope right now.

Every other civilization we've met has been a sick joke, and the punchline has consistently been "humans are delicious". We need a patron, unless we're going to Stop Living as a Man, and El 's servants seem to be the only ones that give a poo poo about people.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eat the Black Goop. The black goop's squirming within Enkidel's body as it tries to break free, and the effort and concentration required to hold it in, will distract Enkidel from the Orm's psychic aura and break Enkidel free of the snake-geas.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

UppaTree posted:

Every other civilization we've met has been a sick joke, and the punchline has consistently been "humans are delicious". We need a patron, unless we're going to Stop Living as a Man, and El 's servants seem to be the only ones that give a poo poo about people.

Snekbro doesn't think humans are delicious. Nor Accotopus. Nor Once-Consort and his bug civilization.

His wife or whatever probably got snuffed out ages ago, and he's still in the Denial stage of grief. Hence why he's looking for her.

BoyG
Nov 24, 2004

Have you heard the tale of the Cannibal King of Kavodel?
We need to remove our Laurels. The blast of our sudden presence may make the snake aware of what we are. Currently to it we're a divine being able to hide its presence, like a melachim. Once it sees we're a proverbial loser on the power scale it may realise the effect it has been having on us.

EDIT: This is not a vote.

BoyG fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 16, 2017

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
I normally just read this thread, but I figured I'd suggest the following, since it seems pretty obvious to me, but I didn't see anyone else suggesting it:

Enkidel cannot be claimed by anyone unless they want to piss off Zepa, something that this depresssssed snake was very clearly unwilling to do the last time it came up. It isn't just a matter of resisting, it is also a matter of reminding the snake of all the "Don't touch my loving stuff!" metaphysical legalese that Zepa was big on. Calling to El might do some of the same, but reminding the snake (and Enkidel himself) that Zepa's claim includes his lineage, and that it was FOREVER, seems like the right choice here.

Also, a lot of people in this thread get overly emotional about just about every little thing that happens, and the constant blame-game atmosphere that results from it makes the thread very unwelcoming and unattractive to anyone who just wants to help figure out the larger mysteries of the game. It is your game, so I wont tell you how to play it, but it is probably worth considering - at least in terms of the types of participation that the thread encourages.

Azram Legion fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 16, 2017

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Azram Legion posted:

I normally just read this thread, but I figured I'd suggest the following, since it seems pretty obvious to me, but I didn't see anyone else suggesting it:

Enkidel cannot be claimed by anyone unless they want to piss off Zepa, something that this depresssssed snake was very clearly unwilling to do the last time it came up. It isn't just a matter of resisting, it is also a matter of reminding the snake of all the "Don't touch my loving stuff!" metaphysical legalese that Zepa was big on. Calling to El might do some of the same, but reminding the snake (and Enkidel himself) that Zepa's claim includes his lineage, and that it was FOREVER, seems like the right choice here.

I really like this point. If we manage to shake off a little bit of this effect, just bringing in the Zepa claim is probably enough to stop a serious enthralling attempt. And if we agree to help find snake-wife, it probably won't just eat us. It might even tell us some cool stuff!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Resist.

We worship only El and Questions.

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Snekbro doesn't think humans are delicious. Nor Accotopus. Nor Once-Consort and his bug civilization.

His wife or whatever probably got snuffed out ages ago, and he's still in the Denial stage of grief. Hence why he's looking for her.

The Orm no longer HAS a civilization, so we can't say we've interacted with it.

Accotopus was a single creature - we have no idea what else is there.

Once-Consort admitted that humanity is incompatible with its thinking. We have no idea how the rest of the bugs would react to humans - one grief-stricken and terminally lonely outlier isn't much to go on.

There are some beings of great power other than El's servants who are not actively malicious to humanity, but they all seem to be various flavors of unable or unwilling to aid us. We can't uproot our family and march them all toward the Mountains of Fare until we hopefully meet non-dickhead bugs. If we want the people we care about to survive the coming (slowly ongoing?) Storm, El seems to be the only decent option.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
We didnt smell any lemons?

Btw azz probably told pimpsnake that his girlfriend was in Tanaach. Im guessing that they arent friends in a typical way.

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009
RESIST

+ by:

Azram Legion posted:

"...reminding the snake (and Enkidel himself) that Zepa's claim includes his lineage, and that it was FOREVER, seems like the right choice here."..

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

AJ_Impy posted:

Resist.

We worship only El and Questions.

And dance.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah while this sounds kind of a neat direction to go on, we should probably RESIST

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Also invoke or call for aid from El, in addition to my previous vote.

But seriously, the Orm needs to settle it's poo poo a little because Enkidel is in fact probably the only person who would willingly assist it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Facebook Aunt posted:

What if snek is actually an incel stalker, and lady snake was never his girlfriend? He had people paint all these pictures of her and stuff to try to convince her what a good guy he is, but she never wanted anything to do with him?

Did he ever carry a printer miles to her bong shaped house? :thunk: