Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The re-release of the 15th anniversary digivice includes Meicoomon, Zubamon, BlackWereGarurumon BlackMetalGarurumon and includes a warp evolution animation

http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000114576/?utm_source=csearch&utm_medium=pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

In this week's Appmon: the best episode of MegaMan Battle Network in years.

Also "Cloud" is impossible to take seriously, wow. And the Overdrive thing was done pretty badly, everyone had to act like idiots to get it to appear. It isn't even that hard to use well, c'mon, it's just a generic power-up. I guess Appmon really wants to keep Ultimates as being very rare though, hence not using a random one here, that way we still have only the neccesary ones for the plot and the random Satellamon.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Chimera-gui posted:

I mean Transformers the franchise as a whole, just the fact that you can name multiple thing that are part of the Transformers brand shows exactly what I'm are talking about when I say flexibility.

I can do the same for Digimon as well tbf.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, I'm watching Frontier at the moment and it's been pretty decent so far. The whole Sentai-esque concept for some reason doesn't bother me nearly as much here as it did when the Megaman Battle Network anime did it. Izumi getting screwed over in her debut fight kind of sucks though, does she make up for it later on?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, I'm watching Frontier at the moment and it's been pretty decent so far. The whole Sentai-esque concept for some reason doesn't bother me nearly as much here as it did when the Megaman Battle Network anime did it. Izumi getting screwed over in her debut fight kind of sucks though, does she make up for it later on?

No. Unless you count the Ranamon crap.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rudoku posted:

No. Unless you count the Ranamon crap.

So she's pretty much useless for the entire series then, good to know.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The thing about Frontier is that it has two protagonists. It doesn't have five (later six) as it wants you to believe, it has two and three (later four) cheerleaders.

Do not expect anything from anyone except Takuya and Koji, it doesn't work that way. The rest are living power-ups at best, background elements at worst.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I can do the same for Digimon as well tbf.

Only in the sense that it is not afraid to try new ideas like the Armor and Hybrid Level and Appmon as a lifeform or expanding on how DNA Digivolution works in the anime with DigiFusion.

However it has a problem with abandoning its new ideas after a period of limelight. We rarely see Armor or Hybrid level species in the games as are Fusion era Digimon while DigiFusion hasn't been a game mechanic since the Fusion era.

Compare this to Transformers where ideas like the Spark, Protoforms, Technorganic Transformers, and Mini-Cons are still used years after the Beast era and Unicron Trilogy have ended.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Ranamon's stuff is pretty crap, but, welp, at least it's a personal feud that Izumi has and allows her to fight and grow as a character. The others have that but not against foes they fight as deeply as Izumi did. Sucks that for the most part it involves being pretty and having a bigger butt.

I'd say the first half does pretty alright with the sentai stuff, and the baddies are really entertaining. Once you hit what feels like a finale, that's when things take a bad turn.

Seriously, if fighting Cherubimon had been the end of things then the Takuya and Koji power-hour would've been at least somewhat acceptable. Big extra power up after the beast mode and then a finale-only mega-mode would've been fine. Continuing the show After that and not giving anybody else anything was so bad.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
we should have at least seen JetSilphymon, RhinoKabuterimon, Reichmon, and DaiPenmon by the time it was all over.

Also, if they were going to have KaiserGreymon and MagnaGarurumon use everyone's spirits, they should have put everyone in the driver's seat like they did at the end with Susanoomon.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Chimera-gui posted:

Only in the sense that it is not afraid to try new ideas like the Armor and Hybrid Level and Appmon as a lifeform or expanding on how DNA Digivolution works in the anime with DigiFusion.

However it has a problem with abandoning its new ideas after a period of limelight. We rarely see Armor or Hybrid level species in the games as are Fusion era Digimon while DigiFusion hasn't been a game mechanic since the Fusion era.

Compare this to Transformers where ideas like the Spark, Protoforms, Technorganic Transformers, and Mini-Cons are still used years after the Beast era and Unicron Trilogy have ended.

Mini-cons still exist????

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
They never really went away.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah, the term's used in the new Robots in Disguise series; the 2015 cartoon not the 2001 cartoon. It has basically become the go to term for small Transformers.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5omvtj_digimon-adventure-tri-part-5-trailer_tv

Tri part 5 trailer.

Movie comes out September 30th.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh, good, looks like Tai's gonna finally get over himself. You know it's sad when Joe goes through your arc in one movie when you've been struggling with it for four.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Jou has never really had a problem being pro-active. His issues in Adventure were all regarding the people around him. Him getting over it in two movies makes a relative amount of sense.

(Jou should have gotten the evolution in the Digitamamon episode, dammit.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm just really frustrated with this subplot. It made sense in part 1, but it's been dragged out way too long.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
I felt like he kind of got over himself in part 4.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

I felt like he kind of got over himself in part 4.
Maybe? I hope so, but until we get Omnimon again, there's no way to be sure.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Looking at the trailer, I think that's not really far off.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Conversation starter: What's everyone's favorite and least-favorite part of Tri so far? I think my favorite is Determination, and my least-favorite is Confession.

Determination puts focus on two of the most neglected Digi-Chosen-Destiny-Children and I particularly appreciate how Jou's angst all comes from getting pulled by his Reliability and responsibility in two different directions. Gomamon is a good boy, and even Meicoomon gets away without being too annoying. I wasn't surprised by Leomon's death, but I felt like it was well-justified.

Confession, on the other hand, is... a mess. Narratively, it can't seem to decide if it wants to be asking new questions or answering old ones, and not in any kind of way where the answers create further questions. It lays the groundwork for a couple of good moments in Loss (Himekawa's break being the best example), but oh my God, Confession was the movie that made me me understand the Meiko hate. Also, Meicoomon's evolution just being Anthro Boobie Meicoomon is both weird and lazy. Yes, that's exactly what our Mary Sue needed, an orange Renamon.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want to see the full thing before I commit to anything.

As it stands, I'm not sure how I feel about where the story is going. I am also super conflicted on if I want answers to what happened to the 02 gang yet or not because Holy poo poo some one should have said SOMETHING about Imperialdramon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
The worst part is Yamato accepting "Ken is fine I checked myself" from Himekawa.

Just hours after he saw "Ken" himself. That goes from "the plot and characters are dancing around where they are" to flat out irresponsible stupidity from the one character known for not blindly trusting people and who should know better.

And then at the end of the movie SHE SHOWS UP WITH HIS D-3 AND D-TERMINAL.

The third movie is the worst one.

My second least favorite part is how Agumon has turned from his actual characterization to a flanderized version of Savers Agumon whose only character traits are being dumb and being obsessed with food.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 2, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't get how the hell anyone can say the third movie was the worst. All of the Koshiro moments, all of them, were great, and HerakleKabuterimon facing all the other Digimon might be one of the most emotional moments in Digimon history, not to mention the whole Reboot thing hanging over everyone. It was great, definitely the best point of Tri.

...And then it was followed by Loss. That was terrible. Awful pacing even for Tri, an uninteresting plot, Gennai as a villain is awful, the Dark Masters are really boring without personalities, unending evolution stock footage, making the "Digimon lose their memories" plot have basically no meaning because they're back to being partners and friends in a matter of minutes except for Biyomon for forced plot...it was just boring and lame.

TFRazorsaw posted:

My second least favorite part is how Agumon has turned from his actual characterization to a flanderized version of Savers Agumon whose only character traits are being dumb and being obsessed with food.

I'd really like to know what Agumon's characterization was because I sure as hell never saw it in either previous Adventure series.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, I'll give you the Dark Masters being a complete wet fart of a letdown.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Same here, Loss edges out Confession. It made me dislike Brave Heart being used even. Determination is the best handling of grounded character drama so i like it best.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Same here, Loss edges out Confession. It made me dislike Brave Heart being used even. Determination is the best handling of grounded character drama so i like it best.
Just rewatch Rebirth and Determination until the song is purified in your mind again.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
60 bucks for the transforming Agumon, it comes on October

http://bluefinbrands.com/bandai-tamashii-nations-digivolving-spirits-01-wargreymon-digimon-adventure/

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Agumon's personality in Adventure isn't what I'd call unique or stand out, but it's... not what it is in Tri. He's not obsessed with food. He's capable of understanding situations when people talk to him about them and not say absurd things like "what's a reboot? can you eat it?" And then there's the scene in the first movie where he just acts clueless while Taichi has his moral dilemma; in 02, Agumon was able to have a conversation about the nature of life and oneself with BlackWarGreymon, you're telling me he can't offer more to his best friend than "it'll be okay, you'll figure it out?"

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I really think you're reading too much into it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I kinda agree with Razor here. Obviously, it makes sense for a Child Digimon to have a childish view and personality, but here it's like they're being written by someone who really dislikes and doesn't spend any time around children. I can sympathize, but it doesn't make for likable characters. And that's really the crux of it, Agumon is just aggressively unlikable in Tri. I like how Patamon in particular is handled, Tentomon and Gomamon get out pretty okay, too, but everyone else's partner is either generic and forgettable or actively worse. (Which is a particular shame for Palmon, since this is my favorite writing/presentation of Mimi yet.)

That's... better, I guess? I mean, $60 feels less unreasonable than $70. Still a bit high, but if the component quality is actually as good as they're implying, it makes sense.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Legit or a pretty convincing fanart?:thunk:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
That has to be fake. The appmon chip art is completely different AND it's a pre-existing picture.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

That has to be fake. The appmon chip art is completely different AND it's a pre-existing picture.

On the other hand, it wouldn't be the first time, they milked some extra interest out of Agumon. I'll be more convinced if the Appmon art is also a pre-existing picture.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
The other artwork is not anything that exists. There's also no good reason why the appmon chip and the artwork of him would reflect two different designs, which is the case with absolutely none of the appmon and their chips so far.

It's fan art that uses existing art to create an obvious hoax. I'll bet my money on it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A part of me wants to have a custom avatar bet, but I'm not nearly convinced enough for that. Just wouldn't be entirely surprised if it was real.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
another thing that's against it is that Agumon is already a guest fighter in the Appmon card games and he's completely unchanged.

This is just completely out of left field.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Nevermind, old news.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

There's also no good reason why the appmon chip and the artwork of him would reflect two different designs, which is the case with absolutely none of the appmon and their chips so far.

I can definitely confirm this, at most you'll have different poses which has been a thing. The only time you get a full-on design change is for subspecies like Crowmon from Data Squad whose profile is the same as the original Yatagaramon except for the following changed line:

Digimon Reference Book posted:

Possessing three legs, it is a bizarre Bewitching Bird Digimon and a subspecies of Yatagaramon.
Besides, Agumon already has an official Appmon Chip:

Note that it's technically a Gatchmon Chip and is listed as such the official Chip Reference Book.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2zCrdv48ls

I'm still a sucker for Digimon song covers.