Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I hate the loving word "protagonist". it's like everyone learned what it meant because of the Hunger Games reviewsand now people won't stop using it whenever it is slightly usable.

lmao what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean there aren't many one-hour chunks of TV that I'd put above Episode 1 of BB.

And nothing that follows from it shows any sign of the story flagging. It starts in a cloud of dust and just keeps sprinting.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

im pretty sure the BB thread was arguing about walt being a protagonist before the hunger games was even written

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I hate the loving word "protagonist". it's like everyone learned what it meant because of the Hunger Games reviewsand now people won't stop using it whenever it is slightly usable.

I’ve been using protagonist since before it was cool.

Like, since I was ten.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Data Graham posted:

I mean there aren't many one-hour chunks of TV that I'd put above Episode 1 of BB.

And nothing that follows from it shows any sign of the story flagging. It starts in a cloud of dust and just keeps sprinting.

It has the most memorable opening I can think of. Pants flying in the air cutting straight to a panic-induced white knuckled action sequence and immediately gets you back around to that point. It's just great.

If Saul has a weak point, it's probably Season 2 not being quite as energetic and having some slower episodes, but it was still a knock-out. Season 3 has been the best season of BCS though, that I can say without reservation, it's just been kicking SO much rear end.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think season 1 edges out as the best for me because of how strong "You're not a real lawyer" was.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Jimmy am good guy. Chuck am bad. Oog og.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
the synonym of protagonist is not hero, unless contextually specified. The antonym of protagonist is antagonist, i.e., whoever opposes the protagonist. So for example, Gus or Hank or Mike might be considered antagonists in Breaking Bad. But in Better Call Saul, Mike & Gus are more appropriately protagonists.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I guess I was lucky I learned the term 'protagonist' from my teacher when I was studying Macbeth because that made it really clear that it doesn't mean hero.

The antagonist can be the hero of a story e.g. in the Michael Douglas movie Falling Down.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Classic Dunning-Kruger but I see the whole thing as a little bit of a Chekhov's gun. I guess if that's the hill you choose to die on, more power to you. The situation reminds me of the death of the author.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm surprised to hear the writers say Saul in BB was dead inside. I never got that vibe.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I'm surprised to hear the writers say Saul in BB was dead inside. I never got that vibe.

I guess the kindhearted Jimmy part of him is, but yeah, Saul generally seems like he's having a blast. That's why Jimmy becomes Saul: It's more fun.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Yeah, me neither.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

I guess the kindhearted Jimmy part of him is, but yeah, Saul generally seems like he's having a blast. That's why Jimmy becomes Saul: It's more fun.

That's the impression I got from the Omaha scenes too, that the Saul days were what Jimmy looked back on.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wouldn't say be seems dead inside in BB when viewed in isolation, but with the context of BCS I can certainly see it.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Baron Corbyn posted:

I guess I was lucky I learned the term 'protagonist' from my teacher when I was studying Macbeth because that made it really clear that it doesn't mean hero.

The antagonist can be the hero of a story e.g. in the Michael Douglas movie Falling Down.

Michael Douglas is the protagonist in that film

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Skyler was the antagonist in Breaking Bad, or "big bad" if you will. The killer of Walt's dreams.

The protagonist, as we can all agree, was the guy who ran the breakers yard. Or maybe Ted.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baron Corbyn posted:

Uh this. You learn the terms protagonist and antagonist in grade 6 when you first start reading books, and protagonist is not a synonym for hero.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

oliwan posted:

Uh this. You learn the terms protagonist and antagonist in grade 6 when you first start reading books, and protagonist is not a synonym for hero.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/thesaurus/protagonist

SYNONYMS
chief character, central character, leading character, main character, principal character, central participant, chief participant, leading participant, main participant, principal participant, principal, hero, heroine, leading lady, leading man, title role, lead, star, player, key player, leading player, figure, leading figure, leading light

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/protagonist

Synonyms: advocate, central character, champion, combatant, exemplar, exponent, hero, idol, lead, lead character, leader, mainstay, prime mover, principal, standard-bearer, warrior

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 16, 2017

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

TBeats posted:

SYNONYMS
chief character, central character, leading character, main character, principal character, central participant, chief participant, leading participant, main participant, principal participant, principal, hero, heroine, leading lady, leading man, title role, lead, star, player, key player, leading player, figure, leading figure, leading light

lol you I'm sorry but you are severely retarded

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

oliwan posted:

lol you I'm sorry but you are severely retarded

"its not!"

*shows sources that show it is*

"YOU ARE RETARDED!!!!"

Lol okay

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Protip: not everything listed in the thesaurus can be substituted for the word in the heading.

You’re supposed to use a thesaurus in concert with a dictionary and common sense to make sure a candidate is suitable in context.

Like, my thesaurus lists “shrub” under the entry for “tree”, but people are going to get confused if you call 20 m birch a shrub.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Protip: not everything listed in the thesaurus can be substituted for the word in the heading.

You’re supposed to use a thesaurus in concert with a dictionary and common sense to make sure a candidate is suitable in context.

Like, my thesaurus lists “shrub” under the entry for “tree”, but people are going to get confused if you call 20 m birch a shrub.

True, but people correct people's use of protagonist so obviously they aren't getting confused.

Using "tree" in place for "shrub" can make sense contextually just like using "protagonist" for "hero" can make sense contextually.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 16, 2017

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

TBeats posted:

True, but people correct people's use of protagonist so obviously they aren't getting confused.

What are you even trying so say?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

oliwan posted:

What are you even trying so say?

That this is a dumb derail and people are going to continue using protagonist to mean hero. Because just like using shrub/tree, contextually it can make sense, otherwise people would be confused instead of immediately trying to correct it.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

ITT we get a sneak preview of the post-finale derail.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

TBeats posted:

Using "tree" in place for "shrub" can make sense contextually just like using "protagonist" for "hero" can make sense contextually.

Yes, it can make sense contextually, that's the whole point. This means that the words sometimes mean the same, depending on the context, but not always. So, they are not full synonyms.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

oliwan posted:

Yes, it can make sense contextually, that's the whole point. This means that the words sometimes mean the same, depending on the context, but not always. So, they are not full synonyms.

And contextually it has made sense every time it has been used in this thread. If it didn't, you wouldn't know to correct it.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jun 16, 2017

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

It's best not to argue with oliwan. S/he shat up the Leftovers thread by calling the show poo poo while using the "I have a Masters in Literature so my opinions and examination of the material is more valid than your interpretation" card.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok, but synonyms are real, and you can use synonyms to replace words, as long as you can derive the original meaning given the context. Tbeats is right in this context, even if you disagree with his opinions based on an entirely unrelated TV/IV thread.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 17, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Turtlicious posted:

Ok, but synonyms are real, and you can use synonyms to replace words, as long as you can derive the original meaning given the context. Oliwan is right in this context, even if you disagree with his opinions based on an entirely unrelated TV/IV thread.

If you couldn't derive the original meaning then you wouldn't tell people specifically to use hero instead of protagonist.

The post that led to this derail said Saul goes "from protagonist to villain." That paints the original meaning with a fairly vivid brush.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
It's unrealistic that someone would be bleeding after crashing their car into a rock.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

TBeats posted:

SYNONYMS

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/protagonist

Synonyms: advocate, central character, champion, combatant, exemplar, exponent, hero, idol, lead, lead character, leader, mainstay, prime mover, principal, standard-bearer, warrior

But it's not interchangeable in both directions. Hero is subset to Protagonist, like 'square' is to 'quadrilateral.'

Example: Big Trouble in Little China

Kurt Russel is the protagonist but he isn't the hero. He's the oafish side-kick. The wise old master's young protege is the hero.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This whole thing just gets so messy when you're talking about a show whose whole purpose and design is to play around with the concepts of anti-hero and anti-villain and multiple POV characters and so on.

How about "the guy you root for"? Is there no unambiguous term for that?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
A couple of posters who misused a word doubling down on it until they hit absurdity/villainy is thematically appropriate for this series about a couple of protagonists (who aren't heroes) making immoral choices doubling down on them.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Data Graham posted:

How about "the guy you root for"? Is there no unambiguous term for that?

Yeah, "Ernesto."

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

Yeah, "Ernesto."

Ding. Ding. DING DING DING DING

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Not even from a video like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3DY1_zijgA

He's funny but really doesn't care but the victims of his clients. He makes a living out of keeping drunk drivers, drug dealers, and murderers out on the street. He cares only about himself. He's fine with having Jesse and Hank be murdered so he won't have to go to jail.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Vanderdeath posted:

It's best not to argue with oliwan. S/he shat up the Leftovers thread by calling the show poo poo while using the "I have a Masters in Literature so my opinions and examination of the material is more valid than your interpretation" card.

I may not have agreed with Oliwan in the leftovers thread (:argh:) but I'm on his/her side here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

Work Friend Keven posted:

It's unrealistic that someone would be bleeding after crashing their car into a rock.

And another thing, there are too many shoe sizes in this world to luck out and pull the right size out of a dozen pairs!

• Locked thread