Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Infinitum posted:

David Cage + Peter Molyneux = ???
No Man's Sky defender here, but the answer is the dude that made no man's sky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I feel like Until Dawn did Cage 1000x better than any actual Cage game and Detroit has to really up the ante.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

He's more like the Paul W S Anderson of games.

Nah, he doesn't have the "the art I'm making isn't typical art to be consumed" or whatever pseudo-artiste crap he spews out that makes no sense if you step back from it.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

chaleski posted:

David Cage is the Neil Breen of video games

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Yes, thank you.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Which E3 trailer had a somber serious cover of Seal's "Crazy"?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think it was the ubisoft pirate game

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9YYYVG0YQI

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 16, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i would "play" the poo poo out of a Neil Breen video game by which I mean press the occasional button as Breen taps keys on of his five fake laptops in the Nevada desert

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like Until Dawn did Cage 1000x better than any actual Cage game and Detroit has to really up the ante.

I dislike "cinematic" games that want to be movies in general because I think it tends to be a silly way to utilize the medium, but like if you're going to go that way at least make the aspects you focus on decent. Cage can't even do that. He wants to tell a story but is awful at writing stories and hires terrible voice actors and poo poo and completely fails at giving anything character or even adhering to basic logic. Until Dawn actually captured the feel of a horror movie about dumb teens, and had appropriate writing and acting to thank for that. Cage is a loving hack and him still getting to make games really is baffling.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Help Im Alive posted:

e:

Thanks, that was hilarious

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

what is the hate for david cage about? i haven't played any of his games, but detroit interests me. the new character they showed yesterday kinda sucked but otherwise the negotiator android gameplay seemed cool.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Cage is a loving hack and him still getting to make games really is baffling.

Not only that, but his awful games are what a lot of people think of when they think narrative-based games, if it wasn't for Telltale he'd be the premier video game story teller

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Help Im Alive posted:

e:

Sea of Thieves: Clinical Depression Edition

Quest For Glory II posted:

i would "play" the poo poo out of a Neil Breen video game by which I mean press the occasional button as Breen taps keys on of his five fake laptops in the Nevada desert

Press X to Tuna Fish

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

what is the hate for david cage about? i haven't played any of his games, but detroit interests me. the new character they showed yesterday kinda sucked but otherwise the negotiator android gameplay seemed cool.

He makes games with bad stories and the actual gameplay amounting to QTEs while thinking of himself as God's gift to the medium, basically.

Play Nier Automata if you want sad future android action. It's more of a game, and it's an odds on bet that its narrative is, rough estimate, infinitely better.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

or play Mega Man

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

DalaranJ posted:

Press X to Tuna Fish

Press X to rear end and Ballsack

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I remember loving Indigo Prophecy when I played it 12 years ago but because it was so trashy and the gameplay was basically "play Simon to move through ridiculous cutscenes". The way it turns into The Matrix with Mayans or some poo poo at the end made me laugh uncontrollably.

Beyond: Two Souls was a decent enough rental. It had some really fantastic setpieces.

I think if I paid $60 for one of his games nowadays, I'd feel major buyer's remorse.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Strong Sauce posted:

He has a couple of neat ideas for each game story, but cannot keep the story going for a long game. They usually devolve pretty harshly by the time you get to the end and go into complete crazy town. All the while, David Cage keeps calling himself some sort of unique genius of art.

The gameplay itself is just QTEs where the choices don't really have much variation beyond pass/fail. Heavy Rain tried to make the decisions/actions count in the end, but he ended up making every ending pretty similar which made everything feel pointless.

He can make specific single segments really cool, like the beginning of Indigo Prophecy or (imo) the DLC part of Heavy Rain. It'll look good at the start or initial impressions, but the more you dig into the game you'll realize it was all an illusion and that you weren't really doing much at all.

Omikron is a bit different from this style, but that game is also horrible trash of execution. He's done 3 other games in the above style, so a bunch of us think we know what we'll get from his games. This *could* be the game where he finally connects all the dots together finally, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 16, 2017

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

is there some kind of video clip or interview where he says he's great and all?

i'm not going to preorder or defend him (honestly don't know enough). but i'll be interested to see what the reviews say...

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 16, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

i'm not going to preorder or defend him (honestly don't know enough). but i'll be interested to see what the reviews say...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-L-G1q_0L8

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Strong Sauce posted:

It's been years since I've digged through David Cage interviews and there are a lot of them, but in general I don't think he says anything in a direct and boastful way (like, say, Cliffy B might do). IIRC in the past it was mostly milder statements like, and keep in mind this is a made up strawman example, "Not many games really push story or emotional elements, so we tried to focus on that". If you take a statement like that, it maybe has a little bit of truth to it by strictly looking at the AAA US market, but it ignores the vast array of different ways stories were evolving in other genres, countries, and markets for games. Or he'll make some sort of statement about how he wanted to tie stories to realistic and relatable settings, which almost never held up in his games.

You can see a bit of this in the first minute of this interview, when he says "[I wanted to talk about] different themes than the themes usually found in video games. This is a game about growing, learning, and accepting who you are, it's about death and what's on the other side, and I wanted the player to feel different emotions than the ones you usually find in games."

Because yeah, there certainly aren't a lot of video game stories about growing up, learning about the world and yourself, accepting your own self, and death. :rolleyes:

He says a bunch of stuff like this about trying to do things different in some specific realistic way. But usually it really isn't that unique even as far as video games are concerned, and doesn't really do the realistic angle very well with the odd characters and scenarios. And putting all that in context of statements like, "I wanted to make the player feel sad in a way they haven't before" or something just makes it all sound arrogant, even if that is understandably the direct goal for some narrative driven games. He's not super insulting or anything, but he isn't doing himself many favors.

For laughs, here's him saying creepy things about a section where the female protagonist in Heavy Rain tries to make herself look sexy for an upcoming scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-MOJJ5dLdk

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I dislike "cinematic" games that want to be movies in general because I think it tends to be a silly way to utilize the medium, but like if you're going to go that way at least make the aspects you focus on decent. Cage can't even do that. He wants to tell a story but is awful at writing stories and hires terrible voice actors and poo poo and completely fails at giving anything character or even adhering to basic logic. Until Dawn actually captured the feel of a horror movie about dumb teens, and had appropriate writing and acting to thank for that. Cage is a loving hack and him still getting to make games really is baffling.

The developers have also actually paid attention to how people were mostly playing Until Dawn (with friends on the couch/streamed, picking choices together) and leaned into it for their new game with the voting system and a Paranoia-esque assignments system.

Which incidentally looks rather like Heavy Rain done properly.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

David Cage should have stuck to his original gaming industry career:

https://youtu.be/TC0Qe6tN9jg

(Yes, he actually made this)

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

AceOfFlames posted:

(Get on it)

(FBI)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

AceOfFlames posted:

Detroit will be GOTY if the villain is revealed to be...KLIENDAST

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

My favorite part of E3 has to be the new future of streamer technology

Now we can see our favorite streamers IN THE VR ZONE!!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

There will never be a bigger grief or troll in videogames as SlowBeef creating LetsPlays for videogames

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Golden Goat posted:

Is this better or worse than having idiots constantly comprising a portion of the screen to show themselves looking at their own computer? THIS IS ME PLAYING A VIDEO GAME.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Is this better or worse than having idiots constantly comprising a portion of the screen to show themselves looking at their own computer? THIS IS ME PLAYING A VIDEO GAME.

You be the judge!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Crabtree posted:

People use streams for human companionship, the face and over-the-top reactions are the real product.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Streaming & reaction videos (which has arisen out of the insane isolation and loneliness that exists in modern society) is cyberpunk as hell

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

We got none of the cool cyberpunk stuff like cybernetics and hacking things with our minds but we got all the terrible poo poo

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Mr President posted:

Not seen in this video is Shigeru Miyamoto who is in the restroom scrubbing his undergarments

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Zelder posted:

Streaming & reaction videos (which has arisen out of the insane isolation and loneliness that exists in modern society) is cyberpunk as hell

My last Shadowrun character was an annoying dumbass who livestreams his runs.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

My last Shadowrun character was an annoying dumbass who livestreams his runs.

so when's your royalty check from blizzard coming in

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

This was pre-Overwatch. I actually ripped off the idea from FFG's Netrunner.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

rude

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Golden Goat posted:

The Job Simulator guys have had tech like this for a good while now and it looks better than this. In fact, I think a good number of games have had it for a long time.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Zelder posted:

theres a ufc fighter who does wow streams and I think he may get more streamers than ppv buys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Twerk from Home posted:

People use streams for human companionship, the face and over-the-top reactions are the real product.

I did actually hear one interesting benefit to it in that deaf people can lipread what the player's saying.

• Locked thread