Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

So Mayweather-McGregor is actually happening: Aug 26 at T-Mobile, 12 rounds at 154 lbs, full USADA drugs testing, and Money opened at -1100 at the Superbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It was too dumb not to happen.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Troy Queef posted:

So Mayweather-McGregor is actually happening: Aug 26 at T-Mobile, 12 rounds at 154 lbs, full USADA drugs testing, and Money opened at -1100 at the Superbook.

Can get -800 on Bovada, according to the event thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823502

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I suppose we'll get 2 months of Floyd stuttering and mma nerds tugging themselves silly over McGregor's scripted cringe

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

At -800 Floyd is almost worth betting on, at least it's better than justifying a four digit bet that at best returns ten cents on the dollar.

Really if I'm going to bet on the fight it'll be a stoppage bet.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I don't care how old or retired he is, if Mayweather can't stop an amateur in his first fight then he doesn't deserve to be on any P4P list ever again.

I forgot Ward - Kovalev was this weekend, I thought it was weeks away for some reason. I think I had Kovalev just winning the first one but I reckon Ward takes this one reasonably comfortably. He still had lots of ring rust going into it last time, and I wouldn't argue with anyone scoring it to him, so I can't see it getting easier for Kovalev.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

yeah i have ward winning by 4 or 5 rounds, almost depressingly

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

drat that came up quick for some reason I thought the rematch was happening in July.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
So this totally overshadows Ward-Kovalev and Canelo-GGG, plus Cotto's got a fight on the same night

Welcome back Floyd...

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ehhh Canelo will be okay. I have a feeling most of his fans (and most boxing fans for that matter) don't give a poo poo about Mayweather-McGregor. I feel bad for Miguel Cotto though lmao. It really does seem like Mayweather picked the day that would most gently caress over Golden Boy Promotions.

Honestly I think Mayweather-McGregor does nowhere near the Pacquiao numbers that people are projecting. I'm sure there are plenty of casual fans dumb enough to think this is some kind of super competitive fight, but I have real trouble believing there's anywhere near the same level of enthusiasm for this match as there was for MayPac.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think mayweather v mcgregor will break all the records. No, it won't be competitive, but people are tuning in to see either a squash or the End of Boxing. If an 0-0 boxer can compete with the greatest ever, it will discredit the entire sport of boxing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its going to end in farce when after eating a bunch of punches mcgregor goes in for a tackle

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Jose posted:

its going to end in farce when after eating a bunch of punches mcgregor goes in for a tackle

I don't think McGregor's going to suck Floyd off. That's obscene.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

tesilential posted:

I think mayweather v mcgregor will break all the records. No, it won't be competitive, but people are tuning in to see either a squash or the End of Boxing. If an 0-0 boxer can compete with the greatest ever, it will discredit the entire sport of boxing.

Whats the over/under of it being more of a farce than Inoki/Ali?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It won't be because it's been agreed to with boxing rules. McGregor's camp won't reneg on that.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Can't believe is this a 12 rounder, elite prospects don't fight 12 rounders until after at least ten pro bouts. Learning how to pace a fight is crucial.

McGregor could do a passable impersonation of a boxer in a 4 rounder but beyond that he'll gas real hard and it's gonna look ugly. This has no chance of lasting the distance.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's an excellent point, and I wonder if he's being coached to go HAM or of they're going to try to pace him. Who is training him anyway?

Please tell me it's Freddie Roach.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

That's an excellent point, and I wonder if he's being coached to go HAM or of they're going to try to pace him. Who is training him anyway?

Please tell me it's Freddie Roach.

I don't think he's venturing outside of his existing circle of coaches and trainers for this fight. I believe he'll still be trained by Owen Roddy and John Kavanagh.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Dan Didio posted:

I don't think McGregor's going to suck Floyd off. That's obscene.

thats a dq

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Writing something up for Ward-Kovalev 2. I'm really surprised by how little buzz this fight seems to have, even before the Floyd/Conor announcement. Even though the first fight was close with a lot of people picking Kovalev, I haven't heard of anyone picking him to win the rematch, most people I've talked to or heard from think Ward will win the rematch fairly wide.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I suppose Kovalev was always the intriguing part of the first fight, and now he's lost some of that air of invincibility. Ward is just Ward, as boringly excellent as Floyd without any of the star power.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

So long as Floyd cums in a controlled, regulation manner, it's fine.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Lionel Richie posted:

I suppose Kovalev was always the intriguing part of the first fight, and now he's lost some of that air of invincibility. Ward is just Ward, as boringly excellent as Floyd without any of the star power.

I thought they were fighting in July. It will be a good fight but shouldn't be on ppv. I'd be shocked if it does over 125k buys.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Eh I lied and won't have time to write anything up. My feelings about Ward-Kova 2 are pretty similar to Lionel's to be honest. Kovalev was a step short in the first fight and it's kinda hard to see him closing that gap without Ward deteriorating.

Also from what I hear Kovalev has a guaranteed purse of $0 and all his money will be made from PPV and ticket revenue.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Ninth Layer posted:

Also from what I hear Kovalev has a guaranteed purse of $0 and all his money will be made from PPV and ticket revenue.

Woof. No wonder he's been in such a lovely mood.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Kovalev should have won the first fight and will definitely beat a lovely clinching Ward the 2nd time around.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Once again I'm filling in for Ninth at the literal last last second, christ, get it together man

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

You're the hero this thread needs, I'm the hero this thread deserves.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Remember when we all thought 9th died at maypac :allears:

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Andre Ward P4P #1.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Anyone think there's going to be new rules about shorts and groin protectors coming up?

I mean, it's boxing, so nothing is gonna change.

gently caress, answered my own question.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I dunno but if Tony Weeks was reffing my fight next I'd be landing a tester right on the meat and veg and seeing what he was gonna do about it

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

After thinking about it for a few days I'm less upset about the overall outcome of Ward-Kovalev 2 although I still think the stoppage was poo poo. Ward did plenty of good body work and I'm unconvinced that Kovalev was so badly hurt just from low blows. If Weeks had stopped the fight ten seconds later after Ward had landed some big headshot bomb it wouldn't have been a great refereeing job either but at least the stoppage would have made more sense. The right guy won though and I think Ward was on his way to a clear stoppage.

Pacquiao-Horn will not only be a free fight but it'll be on ESPN instead of HBO. Very interesting and could be a sign of things to come.

I've also heard rumors that Roc Nation is closing the lights on their boxing division and that Andre Ward may be going to Top Rank soon. Not too unexpected, Roc Nation way overpaid Cotto for what they got out of him and Cotto's already left for GBP anyway. I'm still trying to find out if Cotto's Aug 26th fight here at StubHub is going forward because I'd like to get tickets to see him but not if he reschedules out of competing with Mayweather.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think there was a decent amount of bullshit in that last round, enough to sour the fight for lots of fans, but I also agree that the right man won, and it wasn't because of the low blows

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There was a shot fairly early in the eighth round that I thought was very low but I've had trouble finding it on replay. I don't have an HD recording of the fight yet and all the clips I've seen online have been some combination of very short, poor resolution/blurry frames, or ambiguous about what part of the round the clip was from.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So Ward's been talking about fighting at cruiserweight or even heavyweight. What do you think his odds are there?

Virgil has even suggested Ward could be Anthony Joshua, which, lol

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I asked around and it sounds like Miguel Cotto will indeed go forward with his fight against Kamegai on August 26th. This puts me in a bit of a bind, as I live in Los Angeles about twenty minutes away from the StubHub Center. I'm a Cotto fan and have even seen him before live against Manny Pacquiao back in 2009, and it's a rare opportunity for me to see him cheaply since he's typically fought out of New York. Also on moral grounds I'd rather pay $100 to see a living legend live than spend $100 on Floyd's victory lap. But the odds of me convincing anyone else to go with me are pretty loving low, the few people I've talked to with any interest in boxing still want to see how it plays out live. So I'll probably end up watching McMay instead.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

So Ward's been talking about fighting at cruiserweight or even heavyweight. What do you think his odds are there?

Virgil has even suggested Ward could be Anthony Joshua, which, lol

It'll be tough going. The jump from light heavyweight to cruiser is 25 lb, it's even bigger than that for heavyweight.

Andre Ward is 6'0" with a 71" reach.
Sergey Kovalev is 6'0" with a 72.5" reach.

At cruiserweight:
Oleksandr Usyk is 6'3" with a 78" reach.
Tony Bellew is 6'3" with a 74" reach.
Mairis Briedis is 6'1" with no information on his reach.
Murat Gassiev is 6'4" with a 76" reach.
Beibut Shumenov is 6'2" with a 74" reach.

At heavyweight:
Anthony Joshua is 6'6" with an 82" reach.
Deontay Wilder is 6'7" with an 83" reach.
Joseph Parker is 6'4" with a 76" reach.
Wladimir Klitschko is 6'6" with an 81" reach.
Tyson Fury is 6'9" with an 85" reach.

Andre Ward could conceivably win titles in these weight classes but it would require very careful matchmaking and probably some luck too. Everyone I named here besides maybe Briedis has at least 3 inches on his reach, plus whatever power advantages their extra weight might provide. I think Ward is good but I don't know if he's Tyson good on the inside. (BTW, Tyson was 5'10" with a 71" reach.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I don't think Wards ability to hit people very hard in the dick will diminish as he goes up in weight, so he's got a shot.