Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Floyd is down to -500 on Bovada....loving LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Wow, Brendan Schaub's podcast has a lot more reach than I thought.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

JaySB posted:

I dont pray very often

But please Jase

Please

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Smart money on Conor.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This reminds me of a number that came out around the time of Jones-Gustaffsson. Jones said he was hoping to show off his improved boxing in the upcoming fight, saying that he'd recently completed his 300th round of sparring. One of the Klitschko's chimed in, saying that he'd recently completed his 6000th.
The sheer scale of the gap of experience here is amazing.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

My roommate bet me $100 even money that McGregor will win.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Hope you can cover it my man.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

JaySB posted:

I stopped betting on sports a few years ago but that's so tempting.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bovada also giving +130 for Floyd by decision.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

The Ninth Layer posted:

My roommate bet me $100 even money that McGregor will win.

Easy money.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
He lives in a home for retarded adults

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Work Friend Keven posted:

Fight facts
1. Floyd never knocks anyone out
2. Conor knocks almost everybody out
3. Floyd is a dumb name

Name me some of the big fighters in his weight class, and time period that Mayweather has ducked. He fought Diego, Hatton, Cotto, Pac, Sugar Shane, De La Hoya, Gatti, Judah, Berto, Alvarez, Mitchell, Castillo, he won his first title from Hernández who is a legend at super featherweight . I love that people point to Pac as the prime example of ducking even though Pac is younger than Floyd. To deny his greatness is absurd. To accuse him of ducking is ludicrous. Seriously who would have beaten Floyd in his prime who couldn't beat him later on? Stop trying to take away from on of the greatest talents we will ever see step foot in a ring. Conner will be embarrassed.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Me, regular man: Woah buddy! Looking strong!

You, weirdo: why are you accusing me of jacking off to anime nonstop?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Work Friend Keven posted:

Nate Diaz. Now there's s loving fighter.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Scapegoat posted:

Has Floyd ever let anyone get under his skin in the ring? All the comments here indicate he's exceedingly disciplined.

One of his biggest ways was always talking about how much money he makes and others don't. And with them no disclosing pay, it should be pretty funny.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Ninth Layer posted:

Ali-Foreman too. A must watch for anyone who has ever wondered about the origins of rope-a-dope.

*jumps out of the bushes* Did someone say "rope a dope" ? Here's a great video on it, it's also the video that made me realize how many subtleties are revealed when a world-class boxing match is slowed down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1_JW3wnrik

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Scapegoat posted:

Has Floyd ever let anyone get under his skin in the ring? All the comments here indicate he's exceedingly disciplined.

except when it comes to women, yeah he's an icon of self reservation.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

1st AD posted:

How can a man be expected to defeat Conor McGregor if he can't even read The Secret!?!?

mods please. the title. Please. M o d s ???

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Josuke Higashikata posted:

He's a defensive puzzle that some of the greatest boxers of their generation, such as Manny Pacquiao and Oscar De La Hoya couldn't solve. It's entirely possible some of the people Money has fought hit harder than Conor too. There's really not much of a chance here barring Money's skills suddenly dropping off a cliff.

Ricky Hatton absolutely hits a lot harder than McGregor, and for all his flaws is obviously an all round better boxer, and look at what Mayweather did to him.

I'm more of an MMA fan than a boxing fan but the gulf in skill is absolutely dramatic.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Broadcast team announced

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/6/16/15816390/showtime-announces-broadcast-team-floyd-mayweather-conor-mcgregor

quote:

The pay-per-view broadcast will feature host Brian Custer, color analysts Al Bernstein and Paul Maglianaggi, ringside reporter Jim Gray and unofficial scorer Steve Farhood. There will also be some “guest commentators” during the broadcast as well which could mean some appearances by UFC analysts.

The team will also include Mauro Ranallo, a familiar voice from both boxing and MMA fights, who signed with Bellator MMA earlier this week.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Snowman_McK posted:

I know about this one. It's the subject of 'When We Were Kings' which is a loving amazing documentary.

I went into that documentary knowing that Ali beats Foreman, and the documentary was so good I was convinced going into the fight that it was literally impossible for Ali to win :laugh:

God that's an amazing fight.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I have no basis for this theory, but I'm reasonably sure this fight was agreed to a while ago and they were just waiting for the NHL and NBA seasons to end so they could dominate the sports news cycle. The hype over this has been pretty good, even overshadowing the Bellator PPV (only a week away!) and it seems like this strategy will pay off in a nice buy rate.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If you want to see someone technically sound with no power whatsoever watch a Paulie Malignaggi fight

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Paulie is cool

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

kensei posted:

I have no basis for this theory, but I'm reasonably sure this fight was agreed to a while ago and they were just waiting for the NHL and NBA seasons to end so they could dominate the sports news cycle. The hype over this has been pretty good, even overshadowing the Bellator PPV (only a week away!) and it seems like this strategy will pay off in a nice buy rate.

Seems crazy but the fight is getting pretty good press coverage

https://twitter.com/churdchamp/status/875579729809625088

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Goldpanners v. Honkers is definitely a more legitimate and exciting contest than Mayweather v. McGregor, I agree

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Top Honkers

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Jerusalem posted:

I went into that documentary knowing that Ali beats Foreman, and the documentary was so good I was convinced going into the fight that it was literally impossible for Ali to win :laugh:

Yeah that is an incredible documentary and i had the exact same experience

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The honkers weren't efficient with their energy

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Rigel posted:

Broadcast team announced

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/6/16/15816390/showtime-announces-broadcast-team-floyd-mayweather-conor-mcgregor

quote:

The team will also include Mauro Ranallo, a familiar voice from both boxing and MMA fights, who signed with Bellator MMA earlier this week.

mamma mia

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
How is Mauro on boxing cards? I don't think I've seen a Showtime production in years.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

He's okay for a play-by-play guy. He's not the most knowledgeable about boxing and comes up with some contrived metaphors, but he also brings a lot of enthusiasm into his casts and it's obvious he's put a lot of work into learning about the sport and its fighters. I didn't really like him when he first started out but I think he's gotten a lot better in the last few years.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Never would've guessed 6 months ago that Mauro would end up calling more Conor McGregor fights than WrestleMania shows this year.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mauro is pretty much the same at every sport. Competent and full of really groanworthy analogies

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Grittybeard posted:

Just go with the boxing match which is the most Rocky type fight to ever happen in real life.

I'm pretty sure that title goes to Muhammad Ali/Chuck Wepner.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Monday Bandele posted:

Can't believe is this a 12 rounder, elite prospects don't fight 12 rounders until after at least ten pro bouts. Learning how to pace a fight is crucial.

McGregor could do a passable impersonation of a boxer in a 4 rounder but beyond that he'll gas real hard and it's gonna look ugly. This has no chance of lasting the distance.
Mayweather has gotta be one of the easiest guys to dial down pace on. Dunno if he will mentally treat it like a sparring match where he beats the gently caress out if the other guy; otherwise they can just standoff at 10 punches a round.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Conor had a mental breakdown over not being able to land on Nate Diaz in the first three minutes of a fight.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Lid posted:

Conor had a mental breakdown over not being able to land on Nate Diaz in the first three minutes of a fight.

Lol like all jokes aside Floyd Mayweather is no Nate Diaz, come on.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

Mauro is pretty much the same at every sport. Competent and full of really groanworthy analogies

Maybe it's rose colored glasses but I feel like Bas kept his groanworthy stuff to a minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I had no idea about any of it. I was a child when it came out and my mum took me to see it. It was like suddenly discovering that Superman was real. Ali was one of a kind. I showed the documentary to my girlfriend, and she honestly couldn't believe Ali was a heavyweight with the way he moved.

• Locked thread