Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

We actually do have cybernetics and mind-hacking, if think we don't, take a guess which social class within our dystopian cyberpunk present you belong to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mutata posted:

The Job Simulator guys have had tech like this for a good while now and it looks better than this. In fact, I think a good number of games have had it for a long time.

These guys were first but yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myTJM_ARCJM

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Holy poo poo Devolver is blowing my mind :aaaaa:

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

vermin posted:

Holy poo poo Devolver is blowing my mind :aaaaa:

Did you watch the press conference? I didn't, but it looks loving hilarious

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/12/15781298/devolver-digital-e3-press-conference

e: for youtube video of conference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqPT9hyPANs

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Did you watch the press conference? I didn't, but it looks loving hilarious

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/12/15781298/devolver-digital-e3-press-conference

e: for youtube video of conference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqPT9hyPANs

It's what the world needed. I heard it came on after Bethesda's Paid Mods announcement. I wish I could've been a fly on the wall as the executives watched it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

what is the hate for david cage about? i haven't played any of his games, but detroit interests me. the new character they showed yesterday kinda sucked but otherwise the negotiator android gameplay seemed cool.

I would imagine it's due to the perception that he's pretentious, even though his video games are all obviously full of intentional movie cliches. I like to compare Cage to Hideo Kojima in that regard. Metal Gear Solid 1 especially feels like am 80s B-Movie that for some reason has a book report on why nukes are bad and why Nurture > Nature. Both men are also often attacked with the same insult of "they wish they were making movies but they aren't good enough so they make games instead." And before anybody dogpiles on me, I love Kojima and MGS and Kojima doesn't deserve these criticisms because he has been a pioneer in integrating gameplay into story. But you cannot deny the abundance of cutscenes gets a lot of criticisms as "lazy" storytelling.

I'd also certainly say Kojima is much more ambitious than Cage because Cage is clearly a man who just wnats games to be like movies. That's fine with me but it seems to really piss some people off. But the kinds of movies Cage wants to make into games are summer blockbusters. He is not trying to make some avant garde piece. I would say the earlier comparison to Paul WS Anderson is accurate in that both he and Cage have a lot more fun with their projects than people give them credit for. See: earlier posted video with chickens.

As a Paul Verhoeven fan, if Detroit is just a rehash of RoboCop in a lot of ways, I'll be happy. And given Cage's love of movies, it seems very likely.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

NikkolasKing posted:

I would imagine it's due to the perception that he's pretentious, even though his video games are all obviously full of intentional movie cliches. I like to compare Cage to Hideo Kojima in that regard. Metal Gear Solid 1 especially feels like am 80s B-Movie that for some reason has a book report on why nukes are bad and why Nurture > Nature. Both men are also often attacked with the same insult of "they wish they were making movies but they aren't good enough so they make games instead." And before anybody dogpiles on me, I love Kojima and MGS and Kojima doesn't deserve these criticisms because he has been a pioneer in integrating gameplay into story. But you cannot deny the abundance of cutscenes gets a lot of criticisms as "lazy" storytelling.

I'd also certainly say Kojima is much more ambitious than Cage because Cage is clearly a man who just wnats games to be like movies. That's fine with me but it seems to really piss some people off. But the kinds of movies Cage wants to make into games are summer blockbusters. He is not trying to make some avant garde piece. I would say the earlier comparison to Paul WS Anderson is accurate in that both he and Cage have a lot more fun with their projects than people give them credit for. See: earlier posted video with chickens.

As a Paul Verhoeven fan, if Detroit is just a rehash of RoboCop in a lot of ways, I'll be happy. And given Cage's love of movies, it seems very likely.

I get what you mean by the comparisons. I think the only reason why Kojima is considered higher talent is that he straight up succeeded in the earlier days by introducing game mechanics and easter eggs nobody else would've bothered with.

Seeing a good chunk of heavy rain and Beyond two souls through lets playsss though, I think David Cage is a little more heavy handed than most. I'm a big Paul Verhoeven fan, and Robocop was a good movie because the blatant corruption and degradation is treated in a satirical way, and treated well, whereas you got Detroit's E3 presentation starting with a slave song at the very beginning.

It's not really what they started off what matters to me, but how. You know you're in for some heavy handed stuff with poo poo like that, especially after seeing his earlier work.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

I get what you mean by the comparisons. I think the only reason why Kojima is considered higher talent is that he straight up succeeded in the earlier days by introducing game mechanics and easter eggs nobody else would've bothered with.

Seeing a good chunk of heavy rain and Beyond two souls through lets playsss though, I think David Cage is a little more heavy handed than most. I'm a big Paul Verhoeven fan, and Robocop was a good movie because the blatant corruption and degradation is treated in a satirical way, and treated well, whereas you got Detroit's E3 presentation starting with a slave song at the very beginning.

It's not really what they started off what matters to me, but how. You know you're in for some heavy handed stuff with poo poo like that, especially after seeing his earlier work.

True, Cage has all the subtlety of a jackhammer to the balls but his games really are all about immersion. I guess most stories are because if you aren't immersed you just start thinking on plot holes and stuff. Even still, it's especially true for Cage's games because they rely so heavily on the unique relationship of player and player character. In Heavy Rain, if you don't actually feel anything when you are selecting one of many ways to remove Ethan's finger, then the game is not for you. And all the plot inconsistencies in HR have been brought up to death by people who clearly weren't as sucked in as I or others were by the "interactive storytelling" of the game. That's fine, I've long made my peace with the fact HR was a game better in intention than execution, better at targeting that part of your brain that is about emotion rather than logic. Outside of the video game format, it be total dog poo poo. But that seems to me to be what Cage wants to do.

Also he probably really needs an editor. I heard he isn't actually the sole writer or director for Detroit so maybe someone can temper him and make this the best game yet. I'd like that. Right now, I liked Heavy Rain, was meh on Beyond and I'm gonna be playing Indigo Prophecy for the first time when I get some money now I know it's on PS4. But I want to have hope this is at least enjoyable. His games tend to have good music so that's at least one thing I can look forward to maybe.

Also on a purely personal note, the fact Cage put himself in Heavy Rain with a sign that reads "E.G.O." is pretty awesome. I wonder what his cameo in Detroit will be.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 19, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Uh I mean I was pretty sucked into Heavy Rain until the game flat out revealed it lied to me, I don't think that's a matter of "you just weren't immersed enough", it was flat out bullshit

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

Uh I mean I was pretty sucked into Heavy Rain until the game flat out revealed it lied to me, I don't think that's a matter of "you just weren't immersed enough", it was flat out bullshit

When did the game lie? I know certain character(s) lied but that's not the same thing at all.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The bad guy's internal monologue actively lies to you

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

monster on a stick posted:

When did the game lie? I know certain character(s) lied but that's not the same thing at all.
you play as the bad guy and at one point the things that you do are literally not what actually happened as the game tells you later. it's such a breach of trust between game and player that it's not surprising that people like me would get ripped out of the experience by seeing that. it's not a clever twist, it's just "HA HA SYKE!!!"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

David Cage writes stories that are profoundly stupid, yet demand to be taken with 100% utter seriousness. I hope he used some of Sony's money to hire an editor this time around.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

*spend 30 minutes hiding murder evidence*

*switch to playing the cops and immediately find all the evidence*

*end game with zombies dbz fighting the Internet under threat of eternal snowstorm*

"Master class storytelling, bravo"

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Quest For Glory II posted:

you play as the bad guy and at one point the things that you do are literally not what actually happened as the game tells you later. it's such a breach of trust between game and player that it's not surprising that people like me would get ripped out of the experience by seeing that. it's not a clever twist, it's just "HA HA SYKE!!!"

There are several video games with unreliable narrators that are good, but Cage some how chose to do it in the one genre where it destroys all narrative cohesion, the mystery story.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
That new COD game sure is COD game. Those guys need to make a new engine or something. Hopefully is sells like poo poo but it won't.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

exquisite tea posted:

David Cage writes stories that are profoundly stupid, yet demand to be taken with 100% utter seriousness. I hope he used some of Sony's money to hire an editor this time around.

With Detroit, Cage is moving to a role that's similar to being the showrunner of a television show. It's more to the growing size of the development team than anything else.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

kojimas way better because th plots are crazy but ask interesting questions and because he spends mmost of his dev time making sure the game controls well and feels good to play. cage's games are glorified QTEs

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
This summer David Cage will finally make us all wonder 'what if Detroit was some kind of hellhole of racial tensions?'

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

david cage is the banksy of videogames, thinks he's a lot more clever than he really is

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Saint Freak posted:

This summer David Cage will finally make us all wonder 'what if Detroit was some kind of hellhole of racial tensions?'

"My game about an oppressed underclass fighting for their rights definitely has nothing to say politically"

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I think that's just something they have to say, like Elisabeth Moss repeatedly insisting that the new 'Handmaid's Tale' TV show was "not a feminist show".

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Imagined posted:

I think that's just something they have to say, like Elisabeth Moss repeatedly insisting that the new 'Handmaid's Tale' TV show was "not a feminist show".

Indeed, nerds will get up-in-arms if their media tries to tell them anything besides "you just keep being you, buddy." As long as the writer says it's apolitical, the simpletons will buy it because obviously our media is apolitical by default and means absolutely nothing.

Speaking of which, I approve of Cage's anti-American government, anti-American police and pro-homeless people being actual people politics. There's way too much fiction out there where, if the MC needs help from a homeless person, they just have to buy that homeless person booze because, ya know, all homeless people must be drunks. (it's a rather revolting cliche) it was refreshing in Beyond: Two Souls to have the less fortunate portrayed respectfully. Indeed, Homeless is probably the best part of that game.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Well, here's that demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjrzemJvUCU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Can't wait to zoom around barren planets with only a single city on each

It's like a poor mans No Mans Sky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest