Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should go #1 overall?
This poll is closed.
Nolan Patrick 7 12.50%
Nico Hischier 8 14.29%
Someone Else 2 3.57%
Edmonton Oilers 39 69.64%
Total: 56 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Button released his final rankings. He's reaaallly high on Cale Makar

http://www.tsn.ca/live/talent/craig-s-list-final-ranking-1.294692

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

ThinkTank posted:

Button released his final rankings. He's reaaallly high on Cale Makar

http://www.tsn.ca/live/talent/craig-s-list-final-ranking-1.294692

those are some weird rankings. i agree with being somewhat down on hague and rasmussen but i've never seen anyone THAT down on them

e: jesus i didn't even see how low he had tippett. what the hell

a false fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 7, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

a false posted:

those are some weird rankings. i agree with being somewhat down on hague and rasmussen but i've never seen anyone THAT down on them

e: jesus i didn't even see how low he had tippett. what the hell

He had Virtanen ranked as a mid second round pick at a time when everyone else had him pegged top ten because of hitz and goalz and if anything he was too kind to crap hole Jake.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i think he has vilardi/valimaki a few spots too low and mittelstadt/necas too high, but his top 10 doesn't seem bad actually

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

ThinkTank posted:

He had Virtanen ranked as a mid second round pick at a time when everyone else had him pegged top ten because of hitz and goalz and if anything he was too kind to crap hole Jake.

fwiw i also remember him being extremely high on zach fucale because he's a goalie that Just Wins

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i like his ranking on chytil but hate where he's got salo

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
This draft is going to be crazy. The rankings are all over the place on these players. I don't see how anyone can predict which player teams are going to take.

It's going to be awesome. Draft day is my favourite hockey day of the year!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
watching highlights of Nick Suzuki... man I kind of wish the nucks would trade down to try and get him.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JawKnee posted:

watching highlights of Nick Suzuki... man I kind of wish the nucks would trade down to try and get him.

I'm bought in to Pronmann's argument about age re: Suzuki.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hey, a sticky

Thanks mods

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm bought in to Pronmann's argument about age re: Suzuki.

what would that be?

Vilardi is the other player I'd like to see the nucks take - and both are august 99

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JawKnee posted:

what would that be?

Vilardi is the other player I'd like to see the nucks take - and both are august 99

His scoring considering his age is elite.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
nick suzuki could definitely end up being an anze kopitar/patrice bergeron, imo

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
For the first time ever I actually did some fun research into who the Ducks might take
Not having a first round pick for the first time in ages is weird but they only really need some goalie and rw depth refreshment
Will be interesting to see how early the first goalie goes - ukko-pekka would be nice but they probably end up with Petruzzelli and I'm ok with that, his puck handling is supposed to be brilliant
Dibs on Nick Henry

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jedimastafez posted:

Dibs on Nick Henry

My problem with Nick Henry is that while he put up decent numbers for a first time draft eligible player, the Regina Pats scored a ton of goals. The most in the CHL if I believe at 353. He put up a bit over a PPG, but as a percentage his team's offence it was a pretty pedestrian 23% (actually below average for a player ranked by the ISS this year). Couple that with the fact that he was a regular linemate of Sam Steel and Dawson Ledahl who put up 131 and 89 points respectively and the fact that he's sub 6 foot (although not noticeably small) and I think he's a real risk of taking a step back next year.

I value skill over anything else, so I find it kinda weird knocking him a bit but the fact he didn't score more is maybe indicative of something. If he'd put up similar numbers from the 3rd or 4th line then I'd say he would be a slam dunk top 15, but for now I think he is one of the rare players that is genuinely a direct product of his linemates. If you're set on a smaller guy who put up similar numbers, I'd say Heponiemi is a better bet. He's tiny (140lbs right now) but just as talented and much more of a driver of offence. I'd take the risk on him bulking up and turning into a Teuvo Teravainen type. Robert Thomas, Matthew Strome and Jaret Anderson-Dolan are all better bets IMO.

There's also Jason Robertson ranked around there, but I haven't been quiet about my obsession with him so I won't get back into that.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
yeah didnt nick henry spend a shitton of time with SAM STEEL? (edit oh you said that) that would make me nervous as gently caress about his production

agreed on robertson. if boqvist/chytil isnt going to be there at 33 id love to trade up a bit to get robertson

anyways, still riding this pettersson train until it crashes. i wont be angry with glass/vilardi/suzuki though

this draft is cool with all the late rising forwards (and a couple d) fighting it out for 3-8. i feel like it might be a lot higher quality than people gave it credit for. guys like makar/glass weren't even on people's radar at the start of the year

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 16, 2017

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
Oh I fully realise there is a huge risk that he is a product of his linemates/team
But the Ducks are short on RW depth and already have Steel so if he falls to 3rd round or late 2nd - def worth grabbing

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I wouldn't draft SAM STEEL because he's obviously going to have accident that'll turn him into a super hero/villain any day now.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

I wouldn't draft SAM STEEL because he's obviously going to have accident that'll turn him into a super hero/villain any day now.

Or become a private detective.

I think he'd be worth blowing a 5th or 6th rounder on.

Edit: And now I feel silly as he was already drafted

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Bob McKenzie released his final draft rankings, and he has Hischier over Patrick for 1st overall.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kilza posted:

Bob McKenzie released his final draft rankings, and he has Hischier over Patrick for 1st overall.

Hischier will go #1.

Still a chance the Canucks could take Robertson at 33.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Kilza posted:

Bob's ranking is a poll of scouts so I think this is pretty telling.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Dammit, I want Cal Foote, Calgary.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Hand Knit posted:

Bob's ranking is a poll of scouts so I think this is pretty telling.

I can't seem to find the 2009 rankings, but was Bob the one who pushed the suggestion that Hedman was close to being ranked over Tavares? I am fully aware that I am misremembering draft rankings from nearly 10 years ago.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

I can't seem to find the 2009 rankings, but was Bob the one who pushed the suggestion that Hedman was close to being ranked over Tavares? I am fully aware that I am misremembering draft rankings from nearly 10 years ago.

Bob had one scout rank Hedman 1st, so it wasn't like it was close, but he speaks like it's neck and neck (and I mean in retrospect Hedman is probably better but it certainly wasn't at the time).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ4LssjnJSc

Bob tends to play up the "who'll go #1!" thing each year even when his own rankings indicate there's a pretty clear consensus (TAYLOR VS. TYLER). I'm sure it's a corporate direction to drive TV viewers. Just like how he talks about every Canadian team "looking to jump into the top 5!" in his hyper enthusiastic "I know this to be true in only the vaguest sense of the term" falsetto.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 19, 2017

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I don't think Bob's misrepresenting anything in that video.

I think he's been pretty forward in the past. Like I think he was the first guy who said that St. Louis is definitely picking Johnson and was among the earliest who said that Chicago was going with Kane and Colorado was going with MacKinnon, all drafts where you could've dramatized the #1 pick.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i guess i should prepare for the rangers to select hague, who i think probably sucks, but at least he has some numbers to go with his Size so maybe he's not that bad

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I don't think Bob's misrepresenting anything in that video.

I think he's been pretty forward in the past. Like I think he was the first guy who said that St. Louis is definitely picking Johnson and was among the earliest who said that Chicago was going with Kane and Colorado was going with MacKinnon, all drafts where you could've dramatized the #1 pick.

Sure, he can't do it every year otherwise people would tire of it but he tries to drum up draft interest in some way each year. Take this for example:

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/745807605986013185

Or his constant flip flopping between Sam Reinhart or Aaron Ekblad at 1 in 2014.

I understand why he does it, he's in the entertainment industry and as a prominent TV personality with a lot of sway his job is to drive eyeballs to TSN and page clicks to TSN.ca. I don't fault him for that, I'm just rarely surprised when his poll of anonymous scouts surprisingly reveals a headline grabbing change in order a week before an otherwise drab draft.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Kilza posted:

dolan out of the first round, heopniemi at 50, salo at 90 seem like pretty big oversights/opportunities

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm hoping Suzuki somehow falls to the Bruins but I doubt he will. I'd like Yamamoto, Foote, Liljegren, or Tolvanen, but I'm expecting the Bruins to take Hague because he's a left shot and He's Big. Of course, what's actually going to happen is Sweeney is going to take someone ranked 60th so I dunno why I even bothered to write this.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
rasmussen at #9 is completely indefensible but i'd be comfortable taking him outside of the lottery

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
All the mocks (Button, Marek, Bobo) are centering around Nico at the top.

Vegas appears to love Nolan Patrick so maybe there'll be a megadeal since they might possibly own 20% of the picks in the first round.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i feel like the days of top 5 picks being traded are basically over

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

corn on the cop posted:

All the mocks (Button, Marek, Bobo) are centering around Nico at the top.

Vegas appears to love Nolan Patrick so maybe there'll be a megadeal since they might possibly own 20% of the picks in the first round.

Maybe, but Hextall isn't the type to make many trades over prospects. It would have to involve a pretty drat good return.

Oh god, they're gonna trade Fleury for Patrick. That would an awful, awful trade.

CMvan46
Oct 7, 2013

Verviticus posted:

I can't believe people in Vancouver still think we could move up to the top 2-3, maybe I'm putting my foot in my mout but I don't see it happening. I do hope we trade Tanev but him alone isn't going to grab one of those picks and him and our 1st round is a huge over payment.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

A top 5 pick hasn't been moved since 2008 (excluding the Seguin pick which was not a top pick at the time) and even then it was the Leafs jumping from 7 to 5 to take Schenn. The last time top picks moved in a meaningful fashion was 2003. If something hasn't even twitched in a decade and a half, I think it's safe to say it's dead.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

NBA just had its top pick traded for the first time in a while.

After Nolan and Nico, most of the players are kinda interchangeable. The difference between Villardi and Glass, not much

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

ThinkTank posted:

A top 5 pick hasn't been moved since 2008 (excluding the Seguin pick which was not a top pick at the time) and even then it was the Leafs jumping from 7 to 5 to take Schenn. The last time top picks moved in a meaningful fashion was 2003. If something hasn't even twitched in a decade and a half, I think it's safe to say it's dead.

The only reason it seems a strong possibility is that Dallas flopped their way from a 109-point/50-win season into the top three through the lottery and the worst goaltending tandem known to man.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah, that'd been the rumour for a while but I doubt Dallas moves the pick. They could just draft Makar or Heiskanen and hope they pan out in the next few years. It's not like Dallas are an especially old team. Seguin and Benn still probably have 3 or 4 years at the top of their game left. There's no reason to mortgage such an integral part of their future (and likely present) for a short term solution. It's not like they'd be moving it for a franchise guy. The rumoured returns are Tanev, Hamonic or Brodin. All very good players, but not the types of guy I'd sacrifice a shot at a young, cost controlled top line/top pairing guy for. I figure Nill holds onto the pick, takes a defenceman and then makes a run at Shattenkrik or Alzner on July 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

heck, there's little to suggest heiskanen or liljegren dont have a reasonable chance of being players next year

• Locked thread