Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

WindyMan posted:

How many rikishi from Western European countries have had a run in Sumo? Like, what's the highest rank someone from the most unlikely country has attained?

I ask this, because I recent came across this video of Schwingen, which is basically the Swiss version of Sumo wrestling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ax6NdXmMqA&t=16s

The similarities are interesting, though wrestling is wrestling in the end I guess.

Not really Western Europe, but recent Ozekis Baruto and Kotooshu are from Estonia and Bulgaria respectively. Takanoyama is from the Czech Republic, but only made it as high as M12 and arguably he was only up that high because of bans after the fixing scandal.

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

WindyMan posted:

How many rikishi from Western European countries have had a run in Sumo? Like, what's the highest rank someone from the most unlikely country has attained?

I ask this, because I recent came across this video of Schwingen, which is basically the Swiss version of Sumo wrestling.

The similarities are interesting, though wrestling is wrestling in the end I guess.

the most unlikely country to field a rikishi of any considerable success will probably always be egypt with osunaarashi, who seemed like he was probably destined for an ozeki rank someday before he ran into injury trouble. he's still pretty young and could still get there someday i guess, but it's been tough sledding for him for the past year or so. still, making the top division at all is no easy feat

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
A list of all foreign born rishiki http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?shikona=&shusshin=202

Looks like a Brit called Nathan Strange competed as Hidenokuni in a few tournaments reaching Jonidan89 for the March 1990 basho, but didn't compete in it and retired. That's it for Western Europe.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

a false posted:

the most unlikely country to field a rikishi of any considerable success will probably always be egypt with osunaarashi, who seemed like he was probably destined for an ozeki rank someday before he ran into injury trouble.

I knew Osunaarashi was Egyptian but I didn't realize he was the first and only in Sumo. That's pretty neat.

I see the two from Western Samoa, which I would think would have produced more rikishi in the same vein as American Hawaiians. Nankairyu of Samoa got up to M2 in 1988.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The only active American rishiki is Musashikuni who I am pretty sure is Yokozuna Musashimaru's son. Unfortunately he's not really living up to the family name, so far not managing to progress higher than Makushita

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

The only active American rishiki is Musashikuni who I am pretty sure is Yokozuna Musashimaru's son. Unfortunately he's not really living up to the family name, so far not managing to progress higher than Makushita

Don't forget about Wakaichiro, aka the Fro. He is half Japanese, but he is an American from Texas, so more of an American than Musashikuni - who is actually Musashimaru's nephew. Also, he has one of the best shikonas ever, since Wakaichiro 若一郎 literally translates to "Young Ichiro' - and his name is Ichiro Young.

a false posted:

the most unlikely country to field a rikishi of any considerable success will probably always be egypt with osunaarashi, who seemed like he was probably destined for an ozeki rank someday before he ran into injury trouble. he's still pretty young and could still get there someday i guess, but it's been tough sledding for him for the past year or so. still, making the top division at all is no easy feat

Also Brazil, which produced Kaisei. A little less unlikely than Egypt though, since Brazil has a fairly significant Japanese population.

WindyMan posted:

That's very interesting - never heard of Schwingen before. That looks very similar to Mongolian wrestling (Bokh), which is usually the first wrestling style that people compare to sumo. Check out some Naadam videos if you're interested in why Mongolians tend to enter the sumo world and start knocking the poo poo out of everyone.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Mary Annette posted:

Care to elaborate? I can't see the upside to this strategy, short of it being a tax write-off or something similar.

There's probably more to it than this, but Shikihide-oyakata's policy for recruiting is based on "love for sumo" not talent.

Hattorizakura, probably the most persistently awful wrestler ever, is from Shikihide:

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=12268

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Elissimpark posted:

There's probably more to it than this, but Shikihide-oyakata's policy for recruiting is based on "love for sumo" not talent.

Hattorizakura, probably the most persistently awful wrestler ever, is from Shikihide:

Hey man, at least he's got a win. One more win than all of those more-talented wrestlers who don't love sumo!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Elissimpark posted:

Yeah, Shikihide is kind of the anti-scandal, anti-corruption heya and puts forward a good face for sumo.
Their practices have some of the highest attendances and the koenkai price is just under the top stables, just because of this.
I have no idea if its part of some agreement with Ministry of Education or sumo's level 2 tax exemption status for education about culture but it wouldn't surprise me.

CHEERFUL FUN VIGOROUS

New Rikishi (Shindeshi) Recruitment Drive

Shikihidebeya is now recruiting new rikishi. Whether or not you have sumo experience is not a problem. Want to discover your hidden talent and inner passion with us? Sumo is your interest but you are distressed, you've lost the way...  YOU, please talk to your parent or guardian without delay.

Love sumo and enjoy sumo without interruption
'I want to become strong!'
’I want to reach sekitori!'
'I want to aim for yokozuna!'

Then a bunch of stuff about Shikihide oyakata that seems aimed at parents, about his passion to bring up deshi the right way, character and personal development yadda yadda.

If you're over 167cm and 67kg you can DM them on Twitter to join.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Huh, Shikihide is a contraction of Shikimori Hidegoro. Thanks Sumo Reference for that tidbit.

Shikimori is one of the two surnames that the gyojis use, for those who came in late.

I wonder if the contraction is used to avoid confusion...

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

WindyMan posted:

I knew Osunaarashi was Egyptian but I didn't realize he was the first and only in Sumo. That's pretty neat.

I see the two from Western Samoa, which I would think would have produced more rikishi in the same vein as American Hawaiians. Nankairyu of Samoa got up to M2 in 1988.

another one that i forgot about was kototenta/kototenzan, who was a canadian named john tenta who went undefeated at the lower ranks before going back to north america and becoming much more famous as WWF wrestler Earthquake

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I think I just barely meet the weight requirement for that stable. I would probably need to eat a large meal before weigh-in, just to be sure, though.

Relatedly, dang, you can be pretty skinny and join them.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

If you're over 167cm and 67kg you can DM them on Twitter to join.

Holy poo poo I just barely make the cut. That dream I had several years ago where I yorikiri'd Hakuho just came one step closer to reality.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
For the metrically impaired, 167cm and 67kg is about 5'6" and 148lbs. Even by Japanese standards that doesn't seem very big.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Anime Reference posted:

For the metrically impaired, 167cm and 67kg is about 5'6" and 148lbs. Even by Japanese standards that doesn't seem very big.

Remember though these limits were made with the fact that mostly 15 and 16 year olds were joining at the time. I grabbed a bit of height even freshman year in college...

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I have to wonder, do the young kids typically do better if they train as amateurs, rather than jumping into Ozumo in their teens? A quick check of the database shows a split for the Japanese, with about half joining around 18-20 and half waiting until around 24.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Just on a gut feel, I think it is hard to say it just based on simple stats. You are introducing some clear selection bias in the mix if the question is asked like that: the potential of someone entering a heya in their teens and doing their maezumo entry then is a question, while if someone does college or amateur sumo for their teens and early 20s before going for pro, you likely weed out some (most?) of those already who simply do not have what it takes.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Seems like going the college route if you can leaves you something to fall back on if the sumo doesn't pan out

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
There were also a couple of Argentines who wrestled back in the late 80s and 90s, they both made it into juryo at one point or another. One of them was the first (and I think only so far) Jewish rikishi.

Their shikona were Hoshitango and Hoshiandeesu, so I feel like the current crop of foreigners got off lightly with pun-related names.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Apraxin posted:

Their shikona were Hoshitango and Hoshiandeesu, so I feel like the current crop of foreigners got off lightly with pun-related names.

:stare: I feel like it wouldn't have been surprising if they had just gone with Kuroichiro instead of Wakaichiro.

e: loving lol Hoshiandesu's 'given' name was Hose. His real name - Jose.

e2: one of the first things I find when searching on Hoshitango is Mark Buckton being an insufferable rear end in a top hat. Go figure.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 7, 2017

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Fryhtaning posted:

:stare: I feel like it wouldn't have been surprising if they had just gone with Kuroichiro instead of Wakaichiro.

e: loving lol Hoshiandesu's 'given' name was Hose. His real name - Jose.

e2: one of the first things I find when searching on Hoshitango is Mark Buckton being an insufferable rear end in a top hat. Go figure.

:stare:

I was not expecting that.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Elissimpark posted:

Sorry, no-one is ever going to take the 'most persistently awful' title from all time MVP Kasachikara.

A twenty-seven year career, No. 371 on the all-time win list, and his highest ever rank was Jonidan 68.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Apraxin posted:

Sorry, no-one is ever going to take the 'most persistently awful' title from all time MVP Kasachikara.

A twenty-seven year career, No. 371 on the all-time win list, and his highest ever rank was Jonidan 68.

I think there comes a point where you've just got to respect the guy for doing what he wants to do in life.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Apraxin posted:

I don't know - Kasachikara already had 18 wins at the same stage of his career as Hattorizakura. I mean, he'll need to persist for another couple of decades, but he's certainly got the (complete and utter lack of ANY) potential to make it!

WindyMan posted:

I think there comes a point where you've just got to respect the guy for doing what he wants to do in life.

Yeah, I've kinda got a little place in my heart for those older guys struggling in the lower divisions.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Probably shouting into the void, posting here between bashos, but in reference to the brief discussion about rikishis who go to college, versus those who start young:

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0003662709

This was posted on Sumo Forum just recently.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I read every new post in this thread. So, keep the news and interesting articles coming. I read them even if I don't respond.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Kibner posted:

I read every new post in this thread. So, keep the news and interesting articles coming. I read them even if I don't respond.

This thread and Kintamayama's newsletter are my only updates in between basho. He stopped the newsletter earlier in the year though.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Kibner posted:

Same, I rarely even comment during the Basho, but I watch and lurk with the best of them.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Kibner posted:

I barely respond to anything but like this cool dude I read every post and love the articles and tidbits I'd not find anywhere else.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Is next basho's banzuke out yet?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Puckish Rogue posted:

I barely respond to anything but like this cool dude I read every post and love the articles and tidbits I'd not find anywhere else.

:ninja:

:hfive:

Go Shohozan!

:ninja:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Kanthulhu posted:

Is next basho's banzuke out yet?

The banzuke usually comes out about 2 weeks before the tournament starts. Looks like July's will be out on June 26th. The official sumo site always has the schedule published (the "sumo ranking announced" date).

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I fully admit that watching this video was like the sumo equivalent of clicking on a random cute cat video, but: https://youtu.be/egxFBV9J3ag

Abbot and Costello in the dohyo. :psyduck:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Diplomat posted:

This thread and Kintamayama's newsletter are my only updates in between basho. He stopped the newsletter earlier in the year though.

You need to check you spam/ subscribe to the new group, it's still active.

I thiink you can subscribe through here? https://groups.google.com/group/sumo-newsletter2

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Supradog posted:

You need to check you spam/ subscribe to the new group, it's still active.
I thiink you can subscribe through here? https://groups.google.com/group/sumo-newsletter2

My man :hfive:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I fully admit that watching this video was like the sumo equivalent of clicking on a random cute cat video, but: https://youtu.be/egxFBV9J3ag

Abbot and Costello in the dohyo. :psyduck:

That's called shokkiri - a fairly common act they do sometime before the basho begins, and always hilarious. Usually a couple of low-ranked guys who put the skit together, but I'd give my left nut to see Ikioi and Aminishiki do a full shokkiri act.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Following this thread is what made me give that sumo manga a chance. It's... not terrible for a shonen. Pretty enjoyable, actually. Not high art or anything, but a quality read for its genre and intended audience.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Kibner posted:

Following this thread is what made me give that sumo manga a chance. It's... not terrible for a shonen. Pretty enjoyable, actually. Not high art or anything, but a quality read for its genre and intended audience.

Is that the one with the small dude who wants to do "yokozuna" sumo? I forget the name and I'd like to catch up.

Everytime I see Ogarumo oyakata on the live feed, I always read it "onigaruma" thanks to that.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Elissimpark posted:

Is that the one with the small dude who wants to do "yokozuna" sumo? I forget the name and I'd like to catch up.

Everytime I see Ogarumo oyakata on the live feed, I always read it "onigaruma" thanks to that.

Yup, that's the one. Hinomaru Zumou. I think they are making an anime out of it soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
There's another one called Notari Matsutaro that was made into an anime in 2014 called Abarenbo Rikishi Matsutaro that might interest you as well.