Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Klyith posted:

XoxOX0XXX

I might have missed the conversation but what the hell is that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

ASRock signal has been burning for months now, I want that drat MXM motherboard.

I said it in one of the threads but yeah, Epyc and Threadripper would both make killer GPGPU platforms too. Tons of lanes for good PCIe bandwidth (miners don't need this but actual compute programs do). Literally all you need is a CEB motherboard that takes MXM or mezzanine cards and you could build a water-cooled 1U rack server with quad (x16x16x16x8) cards that would keep up with the Tesla rack servers. With flexible risers you could get at least 4 air-cooled cards in a 2U chassis. You just loving know SuperMicro or someone is going to do it (I actually really like SuperMicro's stuff as much as Asrock/Asrock Rack, they both make some cool niche stuff and their quality is pretty solid from what I've read).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 17, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

shrike82 posted:

I might have missed the conversation but what the hell is that

I think Klyith is snarking about how Microsoft's Project Scorpio is now named the X Box One X. Which initializes down to, because things weren't confusing enough, "XBOX".

Either that, or autocorrect, because my phone just tried to do the same thing when I typed "X Box One X" just now.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

I said it in one of the threads but yeah, Epyc and Threadripper would both make killer GPGPU platforms too. Tons of lanes for good PCIe bandwidth (miners don't need this but actual compute programs do). Literally all you need is a CEB motherboard that takes MXM or mezzanine cards and you could build a water-cooled 1U rack server with quad (x16x16x16x8) cards that would keep up with the Tesla rack servers. With flexible risers you could get at least 4 air-cooled cards in a 2U chassis. You just loving know SuperMicro or someone is going to do it (I actually really like SuperMicro's stuff as much as Asrock/Asrock Rack, they both make some cool niche stuff and their quality is pretty solid from what I've read).

Missed opportunity to call their server branding Asrack

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Paul MaudDib posted:

I've been redesigning my fileserver, right now I am thinking of having a NAS with ZFS and ECC and an infiniband connection to an actual application server with good performance (perhaps Threadripper). It's a mITX or mATX case with 8 bays and I want another drive for boot/L2ARC cache (M.2 is nice).
L2ARC is nice, if you enable caching streaming data. I've added an 128GB L2ARC to my NAS and it's warm to the point I'm playing GTA and PU Battlegrounds straight from it instead of the spinning rust (I'm running Steam on an iSCSI share, over 10GbE).

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

L2ARC is nice, if you enable caching streaming data. I've added an 128GB L2ARC to my NAS and it's warm to the point I'm playing GTA and PU Battlegrounds straight from it instead of the spinning rust (I'm running Steam on an iSCSI share, over 10GbE).

Streaming is on by default right? ZFS has some algorithm that prefetches stuff when needed, do you need to turn this on?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yea, but it only fetches into primary ARC. L2ARC doesn't retain streaming data by default. Seems to be some algorithm that caches blocks that look popular, so that start of IO gets served out of L2ARC to give the disks time to start streaming. The relevant tunable is vfs.zfs.l2arc_noprefetch, set to 0.

--edit: Wrong thread for this, anyway.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yea, but it only fetches into primary ARC. L2ARC doesn't retain streaming data by default. Seems to be some algorithm that caches blocks that look popular, so that start of IO gets served out of L2ARC to give the disks time to start streaming. The relevant tunable is vfs.zfs.l2arc_noprefetch, set to 0.

--edit: Wrong thread for this, anyway.

Good to know, thanks. Wrong thread I know, but how else was this going to be brought up?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
And this is why I just bought a 7700k instead of a 8 core Ryzen. I'm not going to deal with crashing on an expensive platform.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

And this is why I just bought a 7700k instead of a 8 core Ryzen. I'm not going to deal with crashing on an expensive platform.

redeyes posted:

I've got a 7700k that I got at launch and another I got yesterday. The launch processor does not heatspike when doing things like loading Chrome at all. The recent one jumps from 40 to 80c in the blink of an eye. I am forced to conclude my first 7700k has better thermal goop and/or a smaller gap between the die and the heatspreader. I am actually considering deliding this recent cpu. Goddamnit Intel!

:thunk:

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

hehe nice.

Everyone has sucky products once in awhile. I just hope AMD gets theirs sorted quick. I want a Threadripper ASAP.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah I thought that was funny too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Everyone has sucky products once in awhile. I just hope AMD gets theirs sorted quick. I want a Threadripper ASAP.
You expect the Threadripper dies to be revisions?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Combat Pretzel posted:

You expect the Threadripper dies to be revisions?

I think he just wants AMD to figure out their segfault issue and work around it. Presumably fixing the issue for Ryzen should allow them to fix it for TR too.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Desuwa posted:

I think he just wants AMD to figure out their segfault issue and work around it. Presumably fixing the issue for Ryzen should allow them to fix it for TR too.

This.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
True. Heat vs crashing. Who wins?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

redeyes posted:

True. Heat vs crashing. Who wins?

I dunno, the crashing isn't a manufacturing or design issue, it's a platform immaturity issue. Ryzen systems seem 95% stable, some people found a way to make 5% of system unstable, and a lot seems to be issues with the BIOS/UEFI.

Also the cost of supporting both platforms is roughly the same, so :thunk:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

I dunno, the crashing isn't a manufacturing or design issue, it's a platform immaturity issue. Ryzen systems seem 95% stable, some people found a way to make 5% of system unstable, and a lot seems to be issues with the BIOS/UEFI.

Also the cost of supporting both platforms is roughly the same, so :thunk:

"Using memory on the QVL and running the processor at stock clocks" shouldn't be capable of making a system unstable.

Also, when using fast memory provides huge performance uplifts, it's hardly unexpected that people are going to use fast memory.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I still think the problem is an ever so slightly (like, 10mV) too low stock voltage for the stock clocks for the chips that would usually be considered a loss in the silicon lottery.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

"Using memory on the QVL and running the processor at stock clocks" shouldn't be capable of making a system unstable.

Also, when using fast memory provides huge performance uplifts, it's hardly unexpected that people are going to use fast memory.

Unless there is a legit problem with the memory itself, or the board? I really really have no heard of Ryzen system instability except in this interesting case (not specifically Wirths, rather the segfault issue on linux). Keep in mind you'll always get a disproportionate ratio of negative to positive feedback on anything, so yes I think this is an edge case until proven otherwise.

2933Mhz provides like a 10% improvement but it quickly hits diminishing returns according to those who reach 3200Mhz. IIRC, Ryzen has a Rambus PHY meant for 3200Mhz standard operation, it's possible faster memory isn't so much an uplift but rather that Ryzen is more or less shackled to an immature platfrom.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If you've got two identical CPUs and one of them gets 40 degrees hotter than the other, you need to do a better job with the heatsink and thermal paste.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

FaustianQ posted:

some people found a way to make 5% of system unstable

lol. come on.

eames
May 9, 2009

The guys who leaked the first Ryzen benchmarks in december claim say there's a B2 stepping (focusing on SoC/PCIe controller errata) on the way.

https://twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/876193860946468865

It's just a single tweet so :salt: but perhaps that'll fix the virtualisation issues that they refuse to acknowledge.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FuturePastNow posted:

If you've got two identical CPUs and one of them gets 40 degrees hotter than the other, you need to do a better job with the heatsink and thermal paste.

Both have the same thermal compound and I checked and re-checked the connection to the heatspreader. If there is a problem I really can't tell where it is. I'll probably sell the Intel system off when Ryzen has a new stepping/fix.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hope that B2 stepping lands in the Threadripper. Is two months to release enough time to get dies manufactured and packaged into the MCM?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The dies going into Threadripper *now* probably were made back in April/May. If B2 stepping of Zen is happening sometime soon, we probably won't be seeing it until the end of the year _at the earliest_.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Meh.

Regardless of that, ECC memory, the fastest I've found is from Crucial, being DDR4-2666. However CAS is 19, not a fan of that. I wonder if the memory chips are binned well enough to be able to drive it down a lot, say to 15-16.

eames
May 9, 2009

I fully expect TR/Epyc processors to launch with B2 steeping cores if such a thing already exists.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Dell Alienware signs exclusivity deal, to be the only pre-built gaming PC vendor to sell desktops with 16-core Ryzen Threadripper processors until the end of 2017:

https://www.techpowerup.com/234477/alienware-inks-ryzen-threadripper-16-core-exclusivity-deal-with-amd

(this does not block DIY customers from buying retail processors)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Combat Pretzel posted:

Meh.

Regardless of that, ECC memory, the fastest I've found is from Crucial, being DDR4-2666. However CAS is 19, not a fan of that. I wonder if the memory chips are binned well enough to be able to drive it down a lot, say to 15-16.

Aren't the actual measurable performance impacts on synthetic benchmarks for the relaxed timings like a fraction of a percent?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Consider the following: Threadripper mATX boards with triple PCIe 3.0x16 slots, into which you can attach NVMe SSDs on those quad sled things. Then you do soft-RAID with maybe like a 3-wide RAID10 or something. Or just one single 24 TB dataset. While I'm wishing for a pony how about also having the same 8 SATA + 1 NVMe M.2 of the Asus P10S-M WS, so that you can attach 8 commodity HDDs for secondary storage and a final NVMe M.2 drive with a buttload of L2ARC cache.

Or you could connect an InfiniBand card in one of the PCIe slots and get remote DMA going and poo poo. No, let's go with having that engineered into the board too. :v:

Asrack you better not disappoint, I have faith in your crazy design shenanigans! :argh:

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
What I'm getting from Threadripper is it's basically a deluxe version of Ryzen with twice the cores then an 1800X.

Personally I'd love to buy and make my first AMD rig, but I'm concerned if the Threadripper boards and CPU will be way more costly than a Ryzen 7 rig, I just hope it's roughly the same price you'd get for an 1800X and they discount the 1800X itself, as well as cut the prices a little on the 1700 and 1600, etc.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Junior Jr. posted:

I just hope it's roughly the same price you'd get for an 1800X and they discount the 1800X itself

Man, I don't see that happening.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
Any word out if Ryzen rev.2 is going to use the same platform as the first-gen Ryzen? I intend to buy R7 1800X this fall, and once rev. 2 becomes available, swap the old R7 for a new 7nm part. I'd hate having to change mainboards just because of this.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Any word out if Ryzen rev.2 is going to use the same platform as the first-gen Ryzen? I intend to buy R7 1800X this fall, and once rev. 2 becomes available, swap the old R7 for a new 7nm part. I'd hate having to change mainboards just because of this.

AMD time: expect 2019

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

We only know of Pinnacle Ridge and Zen 2, Pinnacle is 2018 and is basically Zen on a newer (better?) 14nm process, Zen 2 is slated for 2019 and is early 7nm.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
Thanks guys for clearing that up. :) Can't wait to get my paws on some money and I'mma buy myself a spaking new R7. :)

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
The baked in erratta fixes, likely better clocks, likely better memory compatibility makes zen+ sound much more attractive. I just want 3200 memory to work out of the box!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

3000MHz was all my budget would get, but even on an April BIOS for the Asus B350 Prime mobo I got, it worked just fine. Updating the BIOS, I'm able to hit 3200MHz @ 16-17-17-35 which I think is pretty good? I don't know much about RAM timings. Corsair vengeance LPX 2*8 3000MHz rated.

R7 1700, but I don't think that matters at all.

I think memory is mostly solved these days?

E: it's not an AGESA 1.0.0.6 BIOS (or whatever the number is), either

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Seamonster posted:

The baked in erratta fixes, likely better clocks, likely better memory compatibility makes zen+ sound much more attractive. I just want 3200 memory to work out of the box!

Dont feel bad, I had a ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H that would not run at 3200 no matter what I tried. Replaced with an ASROCK Z270 Taichi and it runs fine at that speed.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 20, 2017