Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I saw The Prodigy headline Lollapalooza in 1997. I wasn't too big into 'Electronica' at the time but I was super impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
I'm another person who hasn't listened to it in at least 10-15 years and it is still pretty great except for Serial Thrilla and Fuel My Fire which seems like a really crap way to finish the album

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Looking up some live stuff to put in here, these thumbnails are great:

But here, have Breathe from V97:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_35eJW2jGeY

I'm sure Keith remembers the night well.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Seems appropriate for today

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

So, here we go with the moment we've all been waiting for, if we all happen to be me:

Narayan is a bit special. If psybreaks wasn't what it is, you could pigeonhole this as psybreaks at its finest. It draws you in with its haunting melody, atmospherics, and rich driving beat, hits you with full mantric force just as you're getting comfortable, and hands you off for a breakbeat massage as it somehow finds a way to segue into its sonically-opposite famous brother. Nine minutes just isn't enough.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Easily my favorite track on the album. It feels like it builds off of tracks like Weather Experience and the Narcotic Suite.

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

david_a posted:

Easily my favorite track on the album. It feels like it builds off of tracks like Weather Experience and the Narcotic Suite.

The Narcotic Suite comparison is spot on, especially with HJB mentioning how Narayan transitions well into the next track. When FOTL came out, I was a big Breathe fan (thanks, MTV), but Narayan/Firestarter/Climbatize became my favorite tracks as I continued to listen to the album.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Breathe and Diesel Power are my favourite tracks on this. Man, another grand album I can thank my dad for buying. I was like, 12 when it came out and I remember watching the Firestarter video at my Gran's (before 999 came on) and being a bit shocked. Gotta say, I like Jilted Generation just as much, maybe a little more.

I've never been too fussed by firestarter tbh but somehow the rest of the album just loving grabbed me. I remember being driven by my dad into an underground parking in germany and he was rocking out so hard to FoTL that he dinged the car on a corner.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SUNKOS posted:

While I don't consider AONO to be very good, the track Girls was way ahead of the curve and I think Liam should have gone all-in with that sound and style for the album, because he was ahead of his peers by about a decade with that tune and it's always seemed like a brief spark of genius that he didn't have the confidence to fully commit to.

If AONO had been anywhere near as good as Girls it would've been their best album. Girls is my favorite song they ever did, an album of that would've been phenomenal. Oh well.

FOTL was something of an outlier to me back then, with two parents who only listened to rock music. It helped me discover a lot of other great music and I still listen to it from time to time. Great album.

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

financially racist posted:

It helped me discover a lot of other great music and I still listen to it from time to time. Great album.

Totally this. It's comments like this I wish there was just a "thumbs up" button.

:hfive:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

We're nearly there. Let's get this one out of the way, no description necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmin5WkOuPw

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Firestarter gave us one of the best musicless videos too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDXNfe2W8c8

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Still love the Empirion Remix of Firestarter.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Quoting myself from earlier in the thread. I'm not a fan of the slow, brooding cover trend (see: movie trailers from the past 5 years) but I dig this one.

Mierenneuker posted:

Here's another version of Firestarter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPI3b9iPSN0

Some people might recognize it because it was used in a trailer for the video game Just Cause 3.

Edit: Also here is a Team Fortress 2 themed tribute (made by goons if I'm not mistaken).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 28, 2017

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

The other major lush atmospheric piece on the album, Climbatize wanders off on a slightly different path to Narayan but still arrives at the same satisfying destination. Those horns, man. I've used up my quota of wanky wordage for this thread so I'll just say it's drat enjoyable, and let everyone prepare for the final track tomorrow, the most marmite of album closers.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Somehow, it seems fitting that one of the most iconic albums of its generation should end on such a polarising note. Fuel My Fire is a cover of a track by L7, from back in the days when Liam single-handedly revived the fortunes of several grungelites, and could be considered one of his few drum & bass efforts, technically. I'm going to anger precisely half of the people reading this by saying I like it, not quite as much as I used to but that full-on manic energy appeals to me in a way that only tracks like it can.

So there we go, that's Fat of the Land, folks. Nice of the calendar gods to make its 20th birthday fall on a Friday so everyone can celebrate in style.

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000
A seriously awesome journey in an awesome thread. Well done sir.

Fuel My Fire isn't a track I skip over (not the best endorsement), but I can see how opinions can wane. It's not the best ending track, but on its own it's not bad.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

http://theprodigy.co.uk/the-fat-of-the-land-20th-anniversary/

quote:

Today marks the 20th anniversary of “’The Fat of the Land’ . Check out the killer live video of Mindfields shot in Russia this year, plus free signed posters and limited edition shirts available now from https://prdgy.lnk.to/store

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0Olyr9zRto

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Diesel Power sorts out a pair of headphones or speakers better than any other track I can think of. Still like this album overall but some of the tracks I can happily live without and I can see how in some ways it was a ripoff for Prodigy fans. But I can also see what an influence it was on popularising monophonic synth patches again, and I'm a sucker for those beats.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The breakbeat in Firestarter is just impossible to use in any other track because it then just sounds like Firestarter, I mean this in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

HJB posted:

Finally, here's The Horn Track by Egyptian Empire, posted not just because I like it, but because it should sound instantly familiar to everyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_CjeiTHo9Q

Speaking of Egyptian Lover, I believe Breathe has a sped up/scratched sample of Egypt, Egypt.

• Locked thread