Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
x264 does AVX-512 already? Would have thought that support for AVX-512 implies more execution units for AVX/AVX-2 over the older CPUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Combat Pretzel posted:

x264 does AVX-512 already? Would have thought that support for AVX-512 implies more execution units for AVX/AVX-2 over the older CPUs.

Letting execution unit be split into half-precision units is a good conceptual idea and is often used, but it does increase complexity of various parts of the CPU (scoreboarding, etc). I would think yes but there's certainly no guarantee.

I'm guessing that current x264 builds do not, but guess what was just checked into nightly a few weeks ago:

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pretty sure that's not correct, the cold side gets cold, it getting hot on that side would defeat the purpose of a thermoelectric pump.

The bigger problem appears to be efficiency. A StackOverflow mentioned more like 10% efficiency (pumping 10W continuously requires 100W, so 110W total). That would be pretty catastrophic.

Just doing some idle googling, it looks like you are gated mostly by the TDmax (temperature difference between the two sides) the TEC can withstand. The closer you push to DTmax the less efficient it is.

I came up with this link which gives some trendlines that might be relevant. Using this 350W cooler would give me a DTmax of 68C, figure you aim for half that in reality (DT/DTmax = 0.5) which would keep your CPU 34C cooler than the AIO. Worst case, that makes the coefficient of performance (how much heat we move with 1W of electricity) ~0.35 at full 350W load. Since the max load also includes the heat from the Peltier itself (I assume) then basically we would divide by 3,. So worst case you could cool roughly 116W continuously at a minimum, and you'd eat 350W extra to do it.

I don't think it's quite there yet for the 300W or so that OC'd 10-core Skylake-X is cranking out, but it actually sounds ballpark feasible for smaller chips, maybe the 6C or the 7700K. The key with a smaller Peltier would be finding one with enough capacity, because this is 62mm x 62mm (~2.5" square) and that's bigger than even SKL-X's IHS.

so most of me knowledge has come from this guy and his youtube videos on the subject http://www.overclock.net/t/249758/ultrasonic2s-tec-calculator

using the calculator that he's made if you take a TEC1-28722 that has a Qmax of around 492 and run that at 50% of its Umax you end up with the following

so the hard part is you need a cooling system that can move 500w of heat and a power supply to the TEC that can do 240ishw at 13A 18v just to power that alone
But possibly having a cold side temp of 8.5c on the tec to put on a IHS would be rather nice

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Scarecow posted:

so most of me knowledge has come from this guy and his youtube videos on the subject http://www.overclock.net/t/249758/ultrasonic2s-tec-calculator

using the calculator that he's made if you take a TEC1-28722 that has a Qmax of around 492 and run that at 50% of its Umax you end up with the following

so the hard part is you need a cooling system that can move 500w of heat and a power supply to the TEC that can do 240ishw at 13A 18v just to power that alone
But possibly having a cold side temp of 8.5c on the tec to put on a IHS would be rather nice

That would actually just about fit the heatspreader on 2011-3 (at least) too. 50x50 mm on the TEC supposedly vs 58x43mm on the package.

500W isn't too bad but I'm not sure the match checks out on plate temps. 23C hot side under 500W of load? :raise:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Peltiers kinda suck for computers, but phase change is really good if you are willing to cough up the cash and live with the ridiculousness.

The LD PC-V10 is a case with a built in phase change system that does 300w at -30°C. Only big deal is that you need to delay your boot to allow the phase change system to start up. It's cold enough that you need to insulate off your motherboard like with LN2, and the unit is decently loud. But hey, sub zero cooling.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I've wanted one of those for years.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"Sorry, I can't play with you guys tonight because my computer's hosed until I get a licensed HVAC guy to come over and recharge my rig's compressor."

eames
May 9, 2009

I still have one of these in a storage room from way back when. Their way of dealing with insulation was to hermetically seal the front and back of the socket with neoprene and flexible bitumen-like gunk to avoid condensation.
It came with a heatpad that was on the backside of the motherboard where the socket is so the non-sealed parts of the PCB surrounding socket wouldn't cool down below the dewing point at idle. I ran that system like a "normal computer" for over a year and had no issues at all.
Pressing the power button on the case would start the compressor, it'd cool down the evaporator to around -40°C (which took a few minutes) and then boot the PC. :science:
Looking back it worked far better than I expected though it was a total waste of money and time. :v:

e: http://under-the-ice.com still seems to sell such kits, one is rated for -30°C @ 300W if you want do some go pants-on-head Skylake-X overclocking.

eames fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 17, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Sorry, I can't play with you guys tonight because my computer's hosed until I get a licensed HVAC guy to come over and recharge my rig's compressor."

"Eh, gently caress it, give me five minutes. I've got a can of R-134a duster and some vinyl gloves around here somewhere..."

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Wouldn't it be easier to just aircondition the computer room ala server room?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I also have a recharged Prometeia in storage (What the Mach 2 GT was based on, but from before they sold them so you had to learn about refrigeration to modify them yourself). I don't use it anymore because of condensation. Even covering the socket and surrounding area in dielectric grease and heavily wrapping it in insulation tape still resulted in condensation, water never sleeps. -40C is just too cold for long term use, probably anything that gets below ambient eventually condensates and rusts no matter how much insulation you add to try to protect it.

There's a bunch of factors in not using it anymore. CPUs are fast enough that getting an extra 20% out of them isn't really as useful anymore, they're also so fast and progressing so slowly that you want to keep them for years now. Back in the Pentium 4 days if it only lasted a year it wasn't a big deal, but now stuff can last for half a decade and still not feel very outdated. Similar deal for GPUs, at least from Nvidia, they're not so much thermally limited as they used to be, going negative gets like 200MHz more, but I'm also keeping GPUs for a shockingly long time, I have a computer still using a GTX 980, a GPU from 2014.

If you're still on a 1 year replacement cycle for throwing stuff out there are fewer downsides, but I think for most people 1 year is way too short now.

Air conditioning the computer room, even if you didn't have to live in there, would take an absurd amount of energy. You'd have to have a whole room to at least -100C to match the -40C from direct die/ihs cooling which would be bleeding off cold so fast that you're spending thousands of dollars just maintaining it unless you had an industrial freezer with foot thick insulation. Then there's the problem of a lot of things not rated for super cold temperatures, memory and storage doesn't like being really cold, along with capacitors failing at sub zero temps. Some GPUs with LN2 modes have heating traces run below the memory because the cold from the LN2 spreads through the PCB fast enough that it slows down memory speeds unless it's warmed back up.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 17, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Meh, now that people are posting reviews of Skylake-X units received via backchannels, Intel might as well just lift the NDA. This is loving stupid.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Boiled Water posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to just aircondition the computer room ala server room?

My computer case is made of legos for this exact reason. There's a duct I can deploy from a freestanding portable AC unit (I keep it in the closet 99% of the time) to the intake in front of the graphics card and cpu radiator.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've got a 7700k that I got at launch and another I got yesterday. The launch processor does not heatspike when doing things like loading Chrome at all. The recent one jumps from 40 to 80c in the blink of an eye. I am forced to conclude my first 7700k has better thermal goop and/or a smaller gap between the die and the heatspreader. I am actually considering deliding this recent cpu. Goddamnit Intel!

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

redeyes posted:

I've got a 7700k that I got at launch and another I got yesterday. The launch processor does not heatspike when doing things like loading Chrome at all. The recent one jumps from 40 to 80c in the blink of an eye. I am forced to conclude my first 7700k has better thermal goop and/or a smaller gap between the die and the heatspreader. I am actually considering deliding this recent cpu. Goddamnit Intel!

I was delaying doing a 7700K build for exactly this reason, and somewhere(maybe here?) I was reading that the procs were still spiking after delidding, and even going direct-to-die with the HSF.

Now I'm just gonna go Skylake-X or Ryzen, to hell with only four cores.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm guessing that current x264 builds do not, but guess what was just checked into nightly a few weeks ago:

Intel has provided hardware (remote access?) to x264 devs going back years so it gets optimized for new instruction sets fast.

(also, people generally just run latest x264 - no such thing as a non-stable build of it anymore really, at least not on x86)

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Potato Salad posted:

My computer case is made of legos for this exact reason. There's a duct I can deploy from a freestanding portable AC unit (I keep it in the closet 99% of the time) to the intake in front of the graphics card and cpu radiator.

Got any pics? How'd you mount everything, drilled holes for standoffs? Do you have a front panel? Did you include a window made out of clear bricks?

eames
May 9, 2009

:rolleyes:

bitsandchips posted:

According to our sources, Intel could release in the near future (4Q17 or 1Q18) the Skylake-X SKUs with soldered IHS.

http://www.bitsandchips.it/52-english-news/8511-rumor-intel-will-release-skylake-x-skus-with-soldered-ihs-in-the-near-future

and the reason why Intel didn't lift the NDA:

https://twitter.com/hardwarecanucks/status/876162292139909120

eames fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 17, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Weird rear end rumor. Is it coming or does Intel watch the market first? Can't be both.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

This reminds me when Ryzen was released and reviewers bitching about having to do last minute retests

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

lmao people are definitely gonna buy another of the same cpu only soldered

TRUMP!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

lmao people are definitely gonna buy another of the same cpu only soldered

TRUMP!

I'm sure Micro Center is going to love people wanting to look at all the serial numbers on their CPUs to ensure they get a build date past the point where they switch, and online retailers will love having to process returns of unopened CPUs because "they're not the right one."

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If that rumors shows up a few more times in near future, I consider it true and postpone my upgrade. For realsies, because that's a bullshit move.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Combat Pretzel posted:

If that rumors shows up a few more times in near future, I consider it true and postpone my upgrade. For realsies, because that's a bullshit Intel move.

FTFY

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm sure Micro Center is going to love people wanting to look at all the serial numbers on their CPUs to ensure they get a build date past the point where they switch, and online retailers will love having to process returns of unopened CPUs because "they're not the right one."

nevermind

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
So, uh, anyone know if Microcenter's extra warranty you can buy covers delidding? :haw:

edit: Also, Intel FX series confirmed?

Deuce fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 18, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

videocardz leaked a "reviewers guide". I assume this is a document straight from Intel?

guide posted:

The guide recommends liquid cooling for overclocked KBLX CPUs and SKLX CPUs no matter if they overclocked or not.

https://videocardz.com/70338/intel-core-i7-7740x-overclockability

Green: air-cooler, Red: Cooler Master Liquid 240, Blue: Corsair H110

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Liquid cooled is better than intel's stock air cooler :bignews:?

Or that big-chip CPUs get to 80C+ when doing silly things like Prime95?

Frankly, 73C on air during Handbrake ain't bad at all.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

DrDork posted:

Liquid cooled is better than intel's stock air cooler :bignews:?
I really doubt Intel's stock cooler is what they're using as the air cooling. No way it's getting that close to a dual fan 240mm AIO

(Does Skylake-X even have a stock cooler? Pretty sure my Haswell-E didn't)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I really doubt Intel's stock cooler is what they're using as the air cooling. No way it's getting that close to a dual fan 240mm AIO

(Does Skylake-X even have a stock cooler? Pretty sure my Haswell-E didn't)

:iiam: I'd be easily persuaded that it was based on some fairly reasonable 3rd party cooler, but it doesn't say. Either way, AIO's cooling big chips better than air is pretty normal, so I'm really not seeing anything new or unexpected here: big-rear end 10C chip under reasonable loads hits in the 70-80's under reasonable cooling techniques. Nothing new there.

The only bit I found interesting at all was that they got virtually all 100 7740x's they had up to 5.1Ghz (albeit with a good bit of +v), once again showing that the OC headroom on the smaller chips, at least, should be significant.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

DrDork posted:

:iiam: I'd be easily persuaded that it was based on some fairly reasonable 3rd party cooler, but it doesn't say. Either way, AIO's cooling big chips better than air is pretty normal, so I'm really not seeing anything new or unexpected here: big-rear end 10C chip under reasonable loads hits in the 70-80's under reasonable cooling techniques. Nothing new there.

The only bit I found interesting at all was that they got virtually all 100 7740x's they had up to 5.1Ghz (albeit with a good bit of +v), once again showing that the OC headroom on the smaller chips, at least, should be significant.

Now, if the 10 core chips could hit those clocks, I'd probably buy one. But given the TIM issue I suspect that many cores running that strong will fry, if those clocks are even possible.

And I'm not really willing to delid a $1000+ processor.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, no kidding. Needing +0.1-2v to get a 4C to 5GHz makes getting a 10C there in a reasonable manner somewhat doubtful.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Has anyone here actually destroyed a cpu by delidding one with a proper tool (not a razor blade or vice)? It looks super easy in all the videos I've seen.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Delidding is scary since it's very obvious you've done it and it voids the warranty

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I've delidded probably a dozen CPUs with a razor blade and the delidding isn't the dangerous part, it's the lack of warranty for 6 months later when something dies and you're left with no option but to buy another retail CPU.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
That said, how many CPUs just up and die on their own 6 months later? I don't think I've ever had a CPU die--for any reason--outside of some of the old pin-type ones where I knocked a pin off. I could see if you're trying to live on the bleeding edge of L2 maxxximum OCing, but at that point busted CPUs are probably par for the course.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Tbh CPUs are pretty reliable and if done properly deluding will.improve thermal management so I guess its a wash a worst

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The NDA just dropped:

AnandTech (7800X, 7820X, 7900X)
GamersNexus (7900X)
Guru3D (7900X)
PCPerspective (7900X)
TechReport (7900X)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRgJ79TcCO0

repiv fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 19, 2017

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Intel i9-7900X is available to preorder on newegg right now. I'm waiting for the i9 7820x myself though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Err, the Intel specs say that the L2 is only 256KB, but there's a per-core MLC of 1MB, that's not the LLC. So there's four levels of cache?

Bottom of page 8: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/6th-gen-x-series-datasheet-vol-1.pdf