Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
I got lazy and careless and barely squeaked a run by both literally and metaphorically.

Mostly because the first, much cleaner kill happened completely unexpectedly and I utterly missed getting a killshot.

I forgot how much I hate doing NED at minimum level.

E: Just to prove it's actually a Run run:

Chaotic Neutral fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Nachos
Oct 18, 2004

#wifematerial
Here's one more (yes, I'm a piece of poo poo using the mobile version). This was actually my first time completing FF5, and I think a restricted playthrough like this is exactly what I needed to see how fun this game is. I'm looking forward to my actual fiesta run as well as an eventual normal playthrough. Now FF2 is the only one I haven't finished. Maybe someday...

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

dis astranagant posted:

When are you calling it for last minute entries?

When I'm ready to make the donation, i.e. more or less in the half hour after The Run starts; if you post in this thread before I post the donation screenshot, you're good. I'm not going to play rules lawyer here, it's for charity after all.

Chaotic Neutral and Somewhat Nachos' runs make a round twenty, by the way!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Bruceski posted:

Is it true that combat speed doesn't affect your party, so always put it on 6?

Sort of. Whenever a character's turn comes up, there's a small amount of time during which no one's ATB advances, including the enemy's, essentially pausing the game for you to select commands. Battle Speed affects the duration of that pause, so lowering it gives you more time to make a decision before combat resumes.

There's no real reason not to set it low unless you want to make the game a bit more difficult, but there's also no real discernible difference between the default (which I think is 3) and 6 unless you've set the ATB to 'Active', since 'Wait' pauses whenever you're in a menu anyway.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 17, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mikl posted:

When I'm ready to make the donation, i.e. more or less in the half hour after The Run starts; if you post in this thread before I post the donation screenshot, you're good. I'm not going to play rules lawyer here, it's for charity after all.

Chaotic Neutral and Somewhat Nachos' runs make a round twenty, by the way!

ePSXe shat the bed when I first got to world 3 and refuses to let me go above 60 fps no matter what I try and I was starting to worry I wasn't going to finish.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 17, 2017

Rudicron
Oct 30, 2013

It's Lunchtime!

Get yourself a hotdog!

Wow, just barely squeaked in before the Run. I made so many mistakes during this; like forgetting to buy Level 3 spells in Karnak.
Also, letting my power go out with mGBA open is not recommended; Windows hadn't written the save file to disk yet.

Not a Triple Crown, since time constraints were making me hard pressed to get even this. Just entered world 3 at 10pm last night; I'm definitely not a speedrunner.

On another note, I'd like to restate my pledge from earlier, see if there's interest.

Rudicron posted:

Inspired by Dragondarch's level-matching Goblin Punch shenanigans, one of my own FF5 memories, and the current hypothesis that #regpopular is weighted toward blue mages;

I pledge $5 for each Galuf who hits Exdeath with a level-matched Goblin Punch, to a maximum of $100 (for I am unfortunately not inordinately wealthy).

After all, what better way to protect your granddaughter from a tree demon, than with a magically enhanced punch to the face?
If you can get a screen of the damage, that's probably the best way to show it off.

Rudicron fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 17, 2017

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I've decided I'll try a pure chaos fifth job run this year. it seems like it should be fun. Pure chaos is just chaos with freelancer and mime in the pool right?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Yes, and also no duplicate jobs.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Since it's a new year, I do wish Chaos and Pure Chaos got their names switched. Pure Chaos makes more sense for something containing dupes (and including Bare/Mime).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

ePSXe shat the bed when I first got to world 3 and refuses to let me go above 60 fps no matter what I try and I was starting to worry I wasn't going to finish.

:toot:

Rudicron posted:

Wow, just barely squeaked in before the Run. I made so many mistakes during this; like forgetting to buy Level 3 spells in Karnak.
Also, letting my power go out with mGBA open is not recommended; Windows hadn't written the save file to disk yet.

Not a Triple Crown, since time constraints were making me hard pressed to get even this. Just entered world 3 at 10pm last night; I'm definitely not a speedrunner.

:toot:

Twenty two, with half an hour to go!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mikl posted:

Twenty two, with half an hour to go!

Barely made it!

I used Can of Worms's Randomizer for this run (Mild flavor, so I have less options and more excuse to be tactical)! The results...

pre:
White Mage
	Default: !White 6
	Skill 0: 30 !Summon 1
	Skill 1: 65 !Time 2
	Skill 2: 95 Equip Lance
	Skill 3: 170 Equip Rods
	Skill 4: 400 !Spellblade 6

Berserker
	Default: Berserk
	Skill 0: 15 !Black 1
	Skill 1: 75 !Red 2
	Skill 2: 100 !Jump
	Skill 3: 200 Two-Handed
	Skill 4: 400 !White 6

Beastmaster
	Default: !Calm
	Skill 0: 20 !Spellblade 1
	Skill 1: 70 !Aim
	Skill 2: 105 !Black 4
	Skill 3: 160 !Catch
	Skill 4: 410 !Mug

Dragoon
	Default: !Jump
	Skill 0: 10 Find Passages
	Skill 1: 70 !Black 2
	Skill 2: 100 !Time 4
	Skill 3: 180 !Revive
	Skill 4: 370 !Zeninage
It was surprisingly similar to what a real run would look like, except with !Time4 and !Spellblade6 making my life significantly easier. Hell, World 1 was pretty much identical except with Slow/Haste access and Chocobo to take down Garula. Certainly not a bad way to do things, I'd recommend it.

I'll probably go vanilla my first run, maybe randomize again for my second if I do one.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Good job! That makes twenty-three, so $230... But you know what? I'll throw in $10 of my own and make it 240, so I can push the donation total past ten thousand dollars and make the streamers fight Shinryu! :getin:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Glad this is finally underway. Ready for some hot hot zerk action :black101:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

:siren: THE RUN STREAM IS UP :siren:

Mikl posted:

Good job! That makes twenty-three, so $230... But you know what? I'll throw in $10 of my own and make it 240, so I can push the donation total past ten thousand dollars and make the streamers fight Shinryu! :getin:

Yesss.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

:toxx: completed.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Forgot to set an alarm clock, missed a whole 2 minutes of the run. Fiesta ruined :(

On a serious note how long is this setup expected to take?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Out of curiosity, is the iOS port closer to the SNES version or the GBA version with stuff like Omega being calm-able, etc.?

I'm sorta tempted to do an iOS run for my next one since I picked it up on sale a long time ago and never really played it, but whew it's kinda ugly, though they put a lot of work into the enemy sprites.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Reminder to join the Discord community!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Out of curiosity, is the iOS port closer to the SNES version or the GBA version with stuff like Omega being calm-able, etc.?

I'm sorta tempted to do an iOS run for my next one since I picked it up on sale a long time ago and never really played it, but whew it's kinda ugly, though they put a lot of work into the enemy sprites.

Prooooobably closer to SNES, but it's also much more restrictive than both in what options you have available, in particular to Omniscient.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It uses the GBA release as base but fixes the bugs that were introduced in that version (including being able to calm Omega), so a mixture of both really. It also makes a few gameplay changes of its own, mostly related to Berserkers and Chemists.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Haste shoes are probably the best in general, but the elemental rings and angel rings are better in specific fights or to cover weaknesses in party composition.

For example, if you don't have a white mage but you do have a black mage, you can equip everyone with flame rings to turn your fire spells into healing spells. This can also let you heal someone wearing the bone mail.

Most parties with a Black Mage can just wipe everything off the map. Please, if you are new to the Fiesta, at least ask before grinding up that cash.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mikl posted:

And removed from the OP. You're the best. :glomp:

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Sexy Archaeoavis kill by elmagus.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

derra posted:

Sexy Archaeoavis kill by elmagus.

Yeah, I love that Ronkan Knight/Aegir combo kill.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Mikl posted:

Thanks, btw! I feel strangely like I accomplished something :3:

Mega64 posted:

Barely made it!

pre:
Berserker
	Default: Berserk
	Skill 0: 15 !Black 1
	Skill 1: 75 !Red 2
	Skill 2: 100 !Jump
	Skill 3: 200 Two-Handed
	Skill 4: 400 !White 6
Good ole jumping two-handed White magicking Berserker.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Does the Fiesta start immediately upon someone finishing the run, or all fourthree who are streaming need to be done?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rirse posted:

Does the Fiesta start immediately upon someone finishing the run, or all fourthree who are streaming need to be done?

Depends on how RK is feeling. Usually he waits until all the runners are finished to rev up Gilgabot, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So the countdown on the official site is a lie? Why I never.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Lurdiak posted:

So the countdown on the official site is a lie? Why I never.

That if the "no later than" time

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
At this rate it's going to be a while for puwexil to finish. Elmagus is already in the rift and he is still in exdeaths castle...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

We reached 12 500 bucks guys. You know what that means....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDogkdgCl1A&t=340s

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

We reached 12 500 bucks guys. You know what that means....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDogkdgCl1A&t=340s

Yeah I chucked the last $1300 as elmagus entered the rift. Wasn't about to let that incentive go unmet.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

InfernoBlade posted:

Yeah I chucked the last $1300 as elmagus entered the rift. Wasn't about to let that incentive go unmet.

dude

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
So we're a little less than $500 under guaranteed 2-berserkers? :getin:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

InfernoBlade posted:

That is a lot of god drat money.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

So we're a little less than $500 under guaranteed 2-berserkers? :getin:

A lot of people with risk are doing runs you can't get duplicates on, so anyone who can get dup's is getting at least 2.

Have fun.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Does the risk still need to be seeded by hand? Sounds annoying.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I thought risk overrides no-dupes? Do I need to change from purechaos to chaos?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I thought risk overrides no-dupes? Do I need to change from purechaos to chaos?

Nah, only Normal Risk is restricted to one Berserker. Every other mode (Random, Chaos, Pure Chaos) is totally on deck for two shiny new berserkers.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
:siren: Calling all Captains Courageous! :siren:

This year, like every year, I plan on using the Chicken Knife like the dirty little coward I am. But you know what? I think you can do better!

For everyone who completes their run with a fully functioning Brave Blade either equipped or in their inventory (which is to say, a Brave Blade at full power; no running), I will donate $5 to Child's Play, up to a total of $150. For proof, all I ask is a screenshot of your party, standing before Exdeath in the Rift, with another screenshot of your untarnished Brave Blade boasting 150 attack power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: Calling all Captains Courageous! :siren:

This year, like every year, I plan on using the Chicken Knife like the dirty little coward I am. But you know what? I think you can do better!

For everyone who completes their run with a fully functioning Brave Blade either equipped or in their inventory (which is to say, a Brave Blade at full power; no running), I will donate $5 to Child's Play, up to a total of $150. For proof, all I ask is a screenshot of your party, standing before Exdeath in the Rift, with another screenshot of your untarnished Brave Blade boasting 150 attack power.

<one fear t-shirt meme comic goes here>

Regardless, threw this in the OP. :)

• Locked thread