Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rip transit vir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

no goddammit NO

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn it, the Babylon Curse claims another.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Probably the most goodhearted of any of the characters on the show. Even waving at Morden was justified

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Innerguard posted:

Goddamn it, the Babylon Curse claims another.

He'd had diabetes for years so it was less surprising than some of the others.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Stephen Furst has passed away. :smith:

Aww, Vir!! :cry:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

:(

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

God drat how has B5 lost more of its cast than loving original Star Trek

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

God drat how has B5 lost more of its cast than loving original Star Trek

Lorien saved the show for season 5.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.
Has even a single cast member from The Next Generation or DS9 died yet? This is nuts.

Edit- just checked- 6/18 main credit cast members of B5 are dead. 0/19 of the combined main credit cast members of TNG and DS9 are dead. Sheesh.

Tad SG fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 18, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Lorien saved the show for season 5.

The airdate for Sleeping in the Light was 25 November, 1998.

Wait... Oh poo poo. :suspense:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
God dammit.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The airdate for Sleeping in the Light was 25 November, 1998.

Wait... Oh poo poo. :suspense:

What?

vvv Yeah... let me repeat, what?

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 18, 2017

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

20 years.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Measly Twerp posted:

What?

vvv Yeah... let me repeat, what?

You need to watch the show again apparently. Lorien saved Sheridan's life at Z'ha'dum, but he could only give him enough life energy to last 20 more years.

My joke was that he did the same for the show.

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.
Every time I see this thread get bumped I always have a bad feeling because lately it's usually for the same reason. :(

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tad SG posted:

Has even a single cast member from The Next Generation or DS9 died yet? This is nuts.

Edit- just checked- 6/18 main credit cast members of B5 are dead. 0/19 of the combined main credit cast members of TNG and DS9 are dead. Sheesh.

And so many of them were rather young too. Ohare had his mental struggles but nothing medically debiltating. Doyle was an alcoholic I think. Briggs was 90% deaf and had some medical issues but a heart attack in his early 40s is still a shock. Conway obviously wrecked his body from substance abuse that led to his death. Katsulas was pretty old but not ancient.

Its shocking that so many other genre shows from that era have almost the entire casts alive today even with the storied health issues of some of B5's core cast.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

pentyne posted:

Katsulas was pretty old but not ancient.

Dude loved to smoke.

Also RIP Vir/Flounder

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.
So we've had several humans, a Narn, and a Centauri death. Mimbari is the only untouched by death so far. Mira Furlan or Bill Mumy next?

5/11 of the season 1 regular cast is now gone.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
RIP Vir :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pentyne posted:

Briggs was 90% deaf and had some medical issues but a heart attack in his early 40s is still a shock.

Richard Biggs died of a massive aortic aneurysm, not a heart attack. This type of aneurysm can be induced as an after-effect of blunt force trauma, so it's a bit less shocking than a heart attack (which implies an inherent weakness in the heart).

Terrible news about Stephen Furst. As a diabetic myself it hits quite hard.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tyrel Lohr posted:

Every time I see this thread get bumped I always have a bad feeling because lately it's usually for the same reason. :(

We got stalled after season 4 in our most recent watchthrough, otherwise I might still be posting random things I observed. But, yeah.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah I was hoping when I saw twenty+ replies in this thread that it was just a slap fight. I really liked Vir, he was one of my favourites. I liked the subplot where he's been using his connections to smuggle Narns out of the warzone.

Well I've been rewatching the show, I'm in the middle of Series 3 at the moment, I was surprised just how well established the all powerful Earth Gov was in the early days of the show. Even before Clark comes to power there are already numerous ominously authoritarian actions by the government and multiple plots about secretive groups within the military.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Baka-nin posted:

Yeah I was hoping when I saw twenty+ replies in this thread that it was just a slap fight. I really liked Vir, he was one of my favourites. I liked the subplot where he's been using his connections to smuggle Narns out of the warzone.

Abrahamo Lincolni!

I recently re-watched the series, and it really did cement Vir as one of my favorites. He noticeably learns and grows throughout the series. He becomes capable without becoming corrupted. He learns to work within the system and, when necessary, without it in order to do what is ethically and morally correct.

Makes me wonder what Londo would have been like had he listened to Vir more often. I often felt like Vir was Londo's Jimminy Cricket: always there, always saying the right thing, and always ignored.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Baka-nin posted:

Well I've been rewatching the show, I'm in the middle of Series 3 at the moment, I was surprised just how well established the all powerful Earth Gov was in the early days of the show. Even before Clark comes to power there are already numerous ominously authoritarian actions by the government and multiple plots about secretive groups within the military.

IIRC, the backstory shows that they organization that became EarthGov (the UN?) was pretty authoritative from the get go. They didn't leave most countries a lot of choice in joining up.

Also, you have stuff like the Mars independence movement and Psycorps.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
A sad reason to discover the new thread. RIP.

If we want to have non-death-related discussion, I wonder if I can get people to discuss acting on the show in a more specific sense, beyond "x is a bad actor" or "I really liked y." An example of what I mean:

Stephen Furst's performance is really interesting because he's initially cast in a part that appears to fall into his Flounder wheelhouse--nebbish comic relief, good-hearted but not competant. Neither he nor JMS saw all of what he would go through as a developing character. And I suspect that like most of the cast, Furst wasn't getting much support from the S1 directing staff. As a result, he's somewhat cringeworthy in his S1 appearances but much stronger in S2, getting some real subtlety into his performance and especially showing that Vir is often terrified and yet very brave (vs technomages, Morden, G'kar...). The character's turning point is the "I"m sorry" scene, and Furst has some amazing performances in the remaining seasons, including his two scenes with Mumy, his anger at Londo in "Rock Cried Out," and the brilliant getting drunk on Narn scene. Furst gets to show his true range in "Sleeping in Light," playing an older and responsible Vir who mixes some of his old goodness and goofiness coupled with a powerful dignity and wisdom. Just look at when he receives Sheridan's message: he switches from "frolic" to "somber" in an instant, and of all who receive the letter he seems fastest to register what it means. Contrast his S1 performance to the story he tells about pak'ma'ra song. This isn't an actor becoming good over time, this is an actor frequently typecast who realizes an opportunity to show his true range and leaps at it. But it's also a performer who goes from supporting cast to director: his relationship to his fellow performers shifts in much the same way as Vir going from attache to Emperor.

As with so many of the main cast, Furst had his best chance to show his range on B5 and he seized the opportunity.

To be a bit critical, you can see during the Ambassador to Minbar segment, when Furst was doing another show, that he has some trouble moving back and forth between that (which I believe was a failed comedy) and Vir. It takes him until late in the season to really dial into the subtler element of his performance, and even then he tends toward overexpressiveness, though given that that's his meal ticket it's completely understandable. Until he sheds the character's anxiety late in the series, there's always a feeling that Furst and Vir are both equally anxious about what they're doing.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Milky Moor posted:

Stephen Furst has passed away. :smith:

This makes me very sad.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Good bye Abrahamo Lincolni :(

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Well, Vir may be gone, but I was in the grocery store last weekend and saw this:

Who's Zima sign in the Zocolo is outdated now, hmmm? :smuggo:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

Good bye Abrahamo Lincolni :(

God that was such a solid episode. I did a pretty solid rewatch recently but having skipped probably 1/3 of S1 and a handful of weak episodes here and there but any time Furst was getting main cast screen time you knew it was going to be something good

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My parents have been rewatching the series lately--it's one of their favorites--and one thing I noticed is the change with their 4K TV. This is where it seems like I'm about to veer into something critical, but quite the opposite. One of the first things I noticed on their 4K is that TV shows and movies looked a lot more like crappy theater sets than they used to. So when I sat down to watch some B5 with them, I thought, "Oh man, I can only imagine how Babylon 5 is going to look, considering it looked like a live theater stage in fricking 1995." And the answer is, I think it actually looks basically the same, which is good! Most of the shows look worse on the 4K, but Babylon 5 seems to have the stage-set mentality from the get-go, so if anything it works better because it was going for a more authentic presentation from the start.

Additionally, they did a good job casting people who look pretty normal, even in the backgrounds. There's a really good range and though different cultures have different outfits, a lot of it feels really practical.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'll go along with that, and that's why I think a good remaster will still help it despite the fact it'll reveal more flaws that wouldn't be seen in standard def. It already relies to a degree on your imagination filling in the blanks, as it were.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As much as I'd love to see the cardboard tubes holding up the gauze in the Emperor's throne room :downs:.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pick posted:

My parents have been rewatching the series lately--it's one of their favorites--and one thing I noticed is the change with their 4K TV. This is where it seems like I'm about to veer into something critical, but quite the opposite. One of the first things I noticed on their 4K is that TV shows and movies looked a lot more like crappy theater sets than they used to. So when I sat down to watch some B5 with them, I thought, "Oh man, I can only imagine how Babylon 5 is going to look, considering it looked like a live theater stage in fricking 1995." And the answer is, I think it actually looks basically the same, which is good! Most of the shows look worse on the 4K, but Babylon 5 seems to have the stage-set mentality from the get-go, so if anything it works better because it was going for a more authentic presentation from the start.

That's a false observation, I think. B5 was made very much in the movie mindset, being framed for 16:9 despite 4:3 being the industry standard and the transmission format. Only the VFX shots were done 4:3 to save cash. If it looks like proscenium arch, that's probably an artefact of the station design: lots of small rooms and narrow corridors. It's a lot more obvious that it's filmed on set in the exteriors, particularly the garden in the central hub and outside the Imperial Palace on Centauri Prime.

Also I'm not sure why B5 would look any better or worse on a 4K TV. Unless it's been remastered for HD or UHD - which it hasn't, because the files for the VFX have been lost and it would be too costly to remake them - it's going to look the same as it did brand new.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Jedit posted:

That's a false observation, I think. B5 was made very much in the movie mindset, being framed for 16:9 despite 4:3 being the industry standard and the transmission format.
Not sure if this is fully accurate - watching it in 16:9, it's actually more framed for 4:3, as everyone sort of huddles up in the middle of the shot, leaving space around the edges. It was shot for 4:3, basically.

quote:

If it looks like proscenium arch, that's probably an artefact of the station design: lots of small rooms and narrow corridors.
Not sure I agree with this either - mostly yes, but some sets really needed to be bigger. The station is 5 miles long and run from a room the size of my flat. The council chamber felt like a classroom. I don't think the station design drove those decisions.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jedit posted:

That's a false observation, I think. B5 was made very much in the movie mindset, being framed for 16:9 despite 4:3 being the industry standard and the transmission format. Only the VFX shots were done 4:3 to save cash. If it looks like proscenium arch, that's probably an artefact of the station design: lots of small rooms and narrow corridors. It's a lot more obvious that it's filmed on set in the exteriors, particularly the garden in the central hub and outside the Imperial Palace on Centauri Prime.

B5 was filmed in 16:9 because that's the DTV standard, and they were making it futureproof. The downside of VFX being made on a video toaster is that the files have been lost and cannot me moved to 16:9.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dirty posted:

Not sure I agree with this either - mostly yes, but some sets really needed to be bigger. The station is 5 miles long and run from a room the size of my flat.

Dude, the entire United States can be run from a room 50' x 110'.

Iron Crowned has expressed more clearly what I was saying. Most 4:3 television would be filmed on 16:9 stock, but the portions outside the 4:3 frame would include rigging, crew etc. because they were never meant to be seen. Everything of major importance in a B5 shot is in the central frame, but unlike other shows they protected the full 16:9 frame.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Jedit posted:

Dude, the entire United States can be run from a room 50' x 110'.
Well, I don't want to get into comparing what type of thing can be run from what size of room, that could go on all day. I just mean that for a show that spends so much time telling us how big the station is, C&C and the council chambers sure do make it feel small, and I think that was due to limited studio space rather than trying to reflect the station design, which I think is what you were getting at.

quote:

Iron Crowned has expressed more clearly what I was saying. Most 4:3 television would be filmed on 16:9 stock, but the portions outside the 4:3 frame would include rigging, crew etc. because they were never meant to be seen. Everything of major importance in a B5 shot is in the central frame, but unlike other shows they protected the full 16:9 frame.
Yeah, I know, but that's quite a bit different from a "movie mindset", which is what I was responding to.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I dunno, I always thought B5 seemed realistic. It's mostly cramped, feels very military. There's plenty of automation. I also would guess there are other command areas, C&C is likely coordinating and issuing orders to other departments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah there are 2,500,000 creatures on that station, plus all the equipment necessary for them to live and eat. Space is at a premium.