Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I don't see how that's a bad deal. They don't think Fultz is far above Jackson/Ball/Someone and will either have two lottery picks next year or a not inconsiderable shot at a top 5 each of the next two years. They traded a top 5 pick for 2 top 5 picks probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ainge is basically banking on there really being 4 elite prospects

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
The Foot Locker ad completely changed my mind on Ball because I am a male between the ages of 15 and 35 thus a member of the demographic most highly susceptible to advertising so I don't see much of a difference between the 1-3 this year

although all the film I seen says Fultz is best

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Does it make sense for Boston to draw the line at "top 5" for the 2018 Lakers pick? What happens when Buddy gets the Kings up into the late lottery

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

xbilkis posted:

Does it make sense for Boston to draw the line at "top 5" for the 2018 Lakers pick? What happens when Buddy gets the Kings up into the late lottery

the earth opens up and four riders on varicolored horses emerge from the depths

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The last 10 drafts not counting last year since we haven't had much time on it, the best player in the top 5 was taken 1 overall 3 times. Ainge is more than likely right that the 1 is not especially more valuable than the 3 because no one is a wizard who can see the future.

xbilkis posted:

Lakers pick will probs be 2-5 anyway but lol come on

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Lol some guy on the Celtics subreddit is gonna shove an Iverson bobblehead up his rear end because of this trade

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

To clarify, Buddy will definitely lead them to a by 2019 so that pick is gonna be AWFUL

that or the Kings will win the lottery

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kings with 5 and 10 may not terrible

If they get DSJ and Laurie ....

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

euphronius posted:

Then even if they're good, they'll translate it into wins in about 2 years, a year too late. A few days ago everyone is talking about how that pick is so amazing and valuable and now suddenly it's not worth the difference between two guys who were under consideration at 1?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm just saying they are not a lock for worst record .

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Yeah Kings were bad this year and they still had the 8th worst record. They won't be good in 19 but not good doesn't necessarily mean top 5 pick. There are a lot of bad teams in the league

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Add in jj reddick and there's the starting lineup.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lol

https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/876284322147389440

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dear god

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Look, we don't have room for Fultz right now, but we also don't wanna give up any of our future picks to improve our team right now either.

Also, this allows the Celtics to focus on the real weak spot on their roster: wings

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Look, Terry Rozier is untouchable in trades so therefore you have to pass on anyone that plays his position too

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Metapod posted:

Lmfao this is the most specific protection I've ever seen

It just means we'll get the #1 and 2 picks next year. :smug:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/hardROClife/status/876282344646246400

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
We are all /jah/

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
So does Okafor finally, mercifully get traded?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

Those guys probably won't be good for at least a couple years

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I can see a scenario in which the Kings roster is around the same talent level as the Suns this year, but without the incentive to unabashedly tank toward the end of the year. They won't be good, but you add a top-3 talent next year and they're at least potentially interesting.

Plus maybe teams will be worn down by the even-more-brutally-effective 2018 Warriors championship run, and there will be a race to the bottom as GMs wait out Golden State's dynasty.

What I'm saying is: Buddy Will Lead The Kings To The Playoffs

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Doltos posted:

So does Okafor finally, mercifully get traded?

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/876298180924551168

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
The Kings have so much cap room and no long-term salary on the books beyond Kosta Koufos and Garrett Temple (christ). With the cap flattening over the next two summers, fewer teams will have cap space for FAs or even room below the tax to use on their own bird rights guys. The Kings could randomly overpay a few mid-career vets and Joerger their way to 32 wins.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

xbilkis posted:

I moved to the bay area in 2010, just before the Giants, Niners and Warriors all took off and started being really good.

I move to Sacramento in six weeks, so put everything on the Kings being suddenly good.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/876298609574256640

Incredible

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

:captainpop:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
i'm really starting to suspect that Danny Ainge might be a mediocre GM who has been repeatedly bailed out by worse GMs (KG/Ray Allen, KG/Pierce, MJ rurning down 4 first round picks Winslow)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

lmao

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jah Okafor is the low-post Rudy Gay

lmao Boston. Danny Ainge's entire rep is based on him fleecing Billy King one time. Which is not that hard

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Jah Okafor is the low-post Rudy Gay

lmao Boston. Danny Ainge's entire rep is based on him fleecing Billy King one time. Which is not that hard

I'm not sold on the current trade but his reputation also has to do with assembling a very good team out of thin air and winning the championship

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Danny Ainge is the Doc Rivers of GMs?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

xbilkis posted:

I can see a scenario in which the Kings roster is around the same talent level as the Suns this year, but without the incentive to unabashedly tank toward the end of the year. They won't be good, but you add a top-3 talent next year and they're at least potentially interesting.

Plus maybe teams will be worn down by the even-more-brutally-effective 2018 Warriors championship run, and there will be a race to the bottom as GMs wait out Golden State's dynasty.

Rookies Are Bad

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'm not sold on the current trade but his reputation also has to do with assembling a very good team out of thin air and winning the championship

That wasnt Danny Ainge.

That was me.

Please tell all your Boston fan friends maybe somebody will give me a free burrito or something

Hey there goes the guy who got us the championship geez he looks hungry

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'd characterize him as more erratic than good or bad.

We also don't know what else is going to happen over the next ~month. If he can get both Hayward and Butler and they can get past LeBron to the Finals, then it's a good trade.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

That wasnt Danny Ainge.

That was me.

Please tell all your Boston fan friends maybe somebody will give me a free burrito or something

I don't talk to Boston fans about basketball. I like being in my own shell. I'll buy you a burrito though

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I'd characterize him as more erratic than good or bad.

We also don't know what else is going to happen over the next ~month. If he can get both Hayward and Butler and they can get past LeBron to the Finals, then it's a good trade.

Yeah I don't know what to think about him really but my current thoughts are: if they were going to take Jackson anyway they might as well get another pick

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don't see the Celtics cashing in for a star this offseason at this point.

Maybe it's a smokescreen, but the move down from 1 to 3 gives off a strong indication that Boston intends to make a pick in this draft, and the trade was a reflection of how Ainge views the top prospects, not another GM. Does anyone think the Celtics realistically move the #3 pick now?

If not, would Chicago or Indiana trade Butler or George for a package built around 2018-or-later picks right now, considering how much uncertainty that carries?

I guess if the Celtics were drafting Jackson and acquiring Butler/George, they could trade Jaylen Brown without much worry. But I think the simplest explanation is that Ainge really didn't see much difference between the top 3-4 guys, so he moved down and got another asset without really losing anything, in his eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hell yeah.

This thread and the draft thread are now identical.

What are the possible red flags on Fultz? I can name three--
-didn't play on a winning team (fully loving moronic, not a real issue and doesn't count)
-65% free throw shooting (could project poorly if he can't shoot, guards really need to be able to shoot)
-desperately really needs to cut his hair (Cut Your Hair or Get Cut From The Team, there is no third option in this Harsh Realm)

• Locked thread