Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The answer is to just shuffle the deck the 2nd and 3rd mulligan, and get rid of bad cards like treason and xarthisius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

No Wave posted:

This makes blacklisted cards far more likely to be on top of your deck. I don't know why that would be desirable.
Hmm you are absolutely right that it would make blacklisted cards way more likely to be on top of the deck. This could be amended to place the blacklisted cards off to the side and then shuffle them back in after the mulligan phase, but it'd just be very similar to your system in outcome.

There is a fundamental tension between how to design the mulligans with blacklists, trying to preserve original deck order, and trying to make it easier to reason about the probability of draws.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

The answer is to just shuffle the deck the 2nd and 3rd mulligan, and get rid of bad cards like treason and xarthisius.
Blacklisted cards still are more likely to be on top of the deck, and your 1st mulligan still has a 2x probability compared to other cards of being on top of the deck if you only do 1 mulligan.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The real answer is just to shuffle the deck after you finish mulliganing. You set aside cards you've blacklisted, once you're done mulliganing, put them back in the deck and shuffle.

E: though that wouldn't really work with Nekker warriors and such, because those cards do have to stay at the bottom of the deck. Still, you could just preserve their position and shuffle the rest around.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Minrad posted:

I was actually happy with the last meta. NG and Skellige were a little too good, but the games felt fun to play against minus hunters, and Monsters and Scoia'tael could compete fairly well and while NR wasn't great, they did have A viable deck. Feels like everything got kneejerk nerfed too hard without addressing some of the weird issues like SK simultaneously having the best cards to drag out a round and also the best cards for round 3.

This meta's actively putting me off playing until we get another balance pass, and who knows when that'll be...

The more I play, the more this is how I feel as well. Like yeah, last patch got the occasional absolute dumpstering by a Nilfgaard player, but Skellige's annoying mechanic (brokvar hunters) was something I could work around. Bears are just annoying and there's no downside to just dumping all of them from the hand in round one right off the bat, and rezzing any that die early. NR machines is okay, but it's so inconsistent because people know they just have to remove your siege supports for you to basically lose the game. Skellige being 4 out of every 5 matches just makes things boring and not fun. They're significantly more common than Nilfgaard was at its most popular, but NG was a deck that took some thought. SK is a deck almost anyone can play at a high level without too much practice.

Part of this could be that prior to the patch I played one deck: dagon fog. When the patch came I was excited to try new decks, but none of them are as consistent or strong as that deck was. So I switched to trying some (at best) tier 2 decks while a ton of people switched to the new best tier 1 deck and a bunch of people started running the deck I used to play. Maybe I'll craft the stupid kambi meme deck.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Anyone notice players in casual never gg while ranked players do the majority of the time? Maybe its because I usually play fun/cheese decks in casual but casual players are apparently very pouty about losing to mediocre "fun" decks like reveal/mulligan or whatever.

e: Also, I don't think I understand that mulligan infographic. Why does it list the witchers as better to be a first mulligan? Wouldn't they be better to do as a last mulligan to minimize the chance they are drawn as part of the round 2/3 draws? I might not be understanding it right. Can someone just give an answer as to whether crones (or witchers) should be mulliganed before or after foglets if both are in the opening hand? I would always mulligan foglets first to establish the blacklist, I would assume you would also want to mulligan a weather card or whatever before an extra witcher card as well.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 17, 2017

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Playing Nilfgaard is the most miserable experience now. Straight back to the dumpster.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
We can still mill nerfed cards for full value right? I have another 400 meteorite powder so would like to get 1600 scraps again

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Whatever shows in the crafting window will be accurate for milling.

It seems they actually have to patch the game to change the mill values (maybe?) so I believe as long as the game version shows 0.9.7 you can mill all the nerfed stuff.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Knowlue posted:

We can still mill nerfed cards for full value right? I have another 400 meteorite powder so would like to get 1600 scraps again

Might still be able to, but the possible cut off was this morning around 9AM. I milled a few cards before I left for work just to make sure, even though one of the cards milling for full value is SAVAGE BEAR, which is most definitely gonna get a strength nerf and again be millable for full value.

Adding the mulligan image to op. Anything else you think should be added now that we are several weeks in? Any new streamers/youtube channels to watch out for? New thread title ideas?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Casual right now is 95% skellige who try to 2-0 everything, enjoy playing 10 matches to do your daily lol.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Drummond is such a busted rear end loving card

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I talked myself out of making Swim's Machine deck and joined the darkside and made a bear deck :negative:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Bear is real good, but what beats bear? Seems like weather has a good matchup against it, and I bet any special deck is just impossible to deal with. Something NG or ST with nothing but specials and big units you drop end of round? Not playing any units just negates the bear, right? I want to build a Kambi deck, because my opponent going round 3 Renew my Hjalmar, play their own Hjalmar and back it up with a Kambi made me so happy. Anyone got a decent Kambi decklist? I just made a premium one, so i'm playing it somewhere.

Edit: GwentDB had a shell of one I basically was already running and it's alright. Won the first game against a lvl 32 rank 18 mmr #700ish Dagon in casual by not giving any fucks about his weather he played in round 1 and 2 and making him play 3 gold cards as his last 3 plays in round 2 after passing. Then I dropped Avallac'h in round 3, letting him draw only 1 card off it, drew into the last 2 cards in my deck that were Kambi and Hjalmar. Was pretty fun.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 17, 2017

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

I hope the next patch deletes Skellige from the game cause I never want to see it again. This is end of CB awful.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Lifecoach's consume deck is pretty good against Skellige, and you tech extra hate against them when it's literally all you are seeing.

edit: Dropping a succubus on their t1 bear and watching them not know what to do is pretty good, but eating the bears out of their graveyard and watching them flip back and forth trying to figure out why they can't revive them is even better.

Weather decks aren't terrible against them, especially since they tend to run very little weather clear (most only seem to be running 2 including the one one you can pull from Gremist) but you have to make some changes because harpies and foglets get mulched.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 18, 2017

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Lifecoach's consume deck is pretty good against Skellige, and you tech extra hate against them when it's literally all you are seeing.

Skellige lists are running a lot of weather now thanks to Swim and Lifecoach own discard skellige, that consume deck has no legs for it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Electronico6 posted:

Skellige lists are running a lot of weather now thanks to Swim and Lifecoach own discard skellige, that consume deck has no legs for it.

Ah, I haven't run into too many of those yet but I'm still playing in the scrub tiers.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Wooooow holy poo poo

I just won my third straight match, which should grant me my keg; except that the "day" reset after my third match, and with 5/6 rounds completed, it reset to 2/6. The game literally robbed me of a keg.

I went back to Gwent after all the horseshit with the FFXIV expac release, this is some horrible karma...

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Thinking about crafting regis higher vampire just to deal with all the ridiculous bronze value cards literally every skellige deck runs

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Also it's hilarious that skellige itself has the anti-Drummond and queensguard tech in Donar

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Wooooow holy poo poo

I just won my third straight match, which should grant me my keg; except that the "day" reset after my third match, and with 5/6 rounds completed, it reset to 2/6. The game literally robbed me of a keg.

I went back to Gwent after all the horseshit with the FFXIV expac release, this is some horrible karma...

You had 24 hours to get it, can't really blame the game.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
That's crazy that the concept of a timer betrayed u like that

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
literally robbed me

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RatHat posted:

You had 24 hours to get it, can't really blame the game.

The game doesn't tell me how much time is left and the day resets at a weird loving time. I just logged in to play a few games, I was taken by surprise when the day was reset and distressed that it happened AFTER I won, literally awarding me nothing.

If the game had any indication of when time was going to reset or god help you didn't reset the result on the "You won!" screen, maybe I wouldn't get mad at it.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
The timer resets at 7:00 central

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If the game had any indication of when time was going to reset or god help you didn't reset the result on the "You won!" screen, maybe I wouldn't get mad at it.

Yeah if only

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

Pounded in the butt by my own misperception of the reward timer.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Pretty much your own fault for having other things to do during the day besides play video games.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

hampig posted:

Pretty much your own fault for having other things to do during the day besides play video games.

I know, gently caress me right? :sigh:

Woopity doo, guess I didn't see it. Either way, it's an obscenely lovely feeling to watch your victory get taken away from you through no real fault of your own.

It didn't matter since I demolished this poor Scoia'tel bastard two games later and kicked off another winning streak but y'know gently caress that noise.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Woopity doo, guess I didn't see it. Either way, it's an obscenely lovely feeling to watch your victory get taken away from you through no real fault of your own.

It didn't matter since I demolished this poor Scoia'tel bastard two games later and kicked off another winning streak but y'know gently caress that noise.

huh, I agree it sucks but it's also entirely your fault.

it can be both things at the same time

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

So.

The way things are boiling down the games seem to be panning out to this.

Decks fight tooth and nail to win round one, or at least force your opponent into a large card disadvantage in order to win it and thus take round two with easy carry over. Then in round three with little fuel left, decks bust out their last round finishers.

For Nilfguard that is and still seems to be a fat Tibor. For Monsters it could be a huge Elder or Crones. For Skelliga it can be a HJALMAR and so on, basically a bunch of power wrapped up in a gold box thats difficult to deal with.

For Northern Realms there only seems to be two potent finishers. A well buffed Baron or a last second buffed Witcher Blitz.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

So.

The way things are boiling down the games seem to be panning out to this.

Decks fight tooth and nail to win round one, or at least force your opponent into a large card disadvantage in order to win it and thus take round two with easy carry over. Then in round three with little fuel left, decks bust out their last round finishers.

For Nilfguard that is and still seems to be a fat Tibor. For Monsters it could be a huge Elder or Crones. For Skelliga it can be a HJALMAR and so on, basically a bunch of power wrapped up in a gold box thats difficult to deal with.

For Northern Realms there only seems to be two potent finishers. A well buffed Baron or a last second buffed Witcher Blitz.

Not all decks work like this, some push round 1 and 2 way more than it seems right because they don't care about card advantage as much. Then there are the decks that you simply cannot beat in round 3 unless you're teched against. When you start playing matches usually go the way you describe though. One of the main differences as soon as you play more ranked is discovering that losing round 1 with a 2 cards advantage crushes a lot of decks and you can bait some mistakes there.

A typical mistake is using Clear Skies when you're down on points just to remove a weather effect. If your opponents passes on you, you're now 1 card down already and still losing the round.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Letho DimeritumBomb is an amazing combo/deck.
It utterly destroys Skellige and NR if it goes off - Morkvarg gets banished and NR loses 4 of your least favorite cards forever, or removes the Witchers.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Is there any counter to this morkvarg axemen bear cancer deck that isn't completely poo poo against everything else? Locks are minimally useful since resurrected units inexplicably get unlocked (even though they show as locked in the graveyard?) When the fourth axeman and second biting frost come out I sort of run out of answers.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I don't have a problem with the SK meta, as my NF reveal beats it without a problem :P.
4 siege machines that do damage, 2 locks from Auckes, 1 reset from Peter, 9-13 damage from Leo Bornharlt, a Frost or a Tremmors from Vanhemmar, thinning with Imperial Golems so I have better chance to play the ones I described, and I can control them.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Magic Underwear posted:

Is there any counter to this morkvarg axemen bear cancer deck that isn't completely poo poo against everything else? Locks are minimally useful since resurrected units inexplicably get unlocked (even though they show as locked in the graveyard?) When the fourth axeman and second biting frost come out I sort of run out of answers.

Your own Skellige with Mork and Axemen and weather than runs mardroeme and maybe Cyprian Willey.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
:laffo: spella'tael is so funny to beat. Second match against one ever. Won first round, squeezed all but one protector from him (he had to play one to win r2). Last round I could play the last card and my Nilfgaardian Knight revealed Peter Saar Gwynleve in my hand. Could just sense the anger when he moused over the Peter in my hand, with one protector in his deck (via ADC) and me having the last play there was no way for him to win. Your opponent forfeited!

Didn't get a GG lmao

edit: and got Reinforcement as a reward from the match!

Trogdos! fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 18, 2017

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

drat, I reached rank level 10 and lose 3 matches in a row. Things aren't so easy now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
What the hell. Had two straight games where Avallach only triggered once. When I re-played him it didn't draw cards. loving bugs robbed me of both matches.

Is there a way to beat Scoiatel specials decks because those fuckers pretty consistently wreck me.