Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Fister Roboto posted:

Also it's very likely to be propoganda because the whole bloodline thing irl a) has been used to justify the oppression of minority groups since forever and b) is complete bullshit.

Except titans are literally magic and the royal lineage has been shown to interact in special ways with titan powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fister Roboto posted:

Also it's very likely to be propoganda because the whole bloodline thing irl a) has been used to justify the oppression of minority groups since forever and b) is complete bullshit.

I think it's unlikely to be bullshit, given that even senior Marlian officials who likely would be in the know still fervently believe it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
senior officials who think they know poo poo are very capable of deluding themselves. japan has some distinct experience with that

well, strictly speaking, the potential to inherit titan potential doesn't make alot of sense, unless it's some polygenic thing. if its a single allele, then two heterozygous parents would have a quarter of their children have zero titan ability. but whatevs, titans are literally magic

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Only Eldians can be titans. If anyone could become a titan then what about the "paths" that connect all Eldians? Kreuger said some shifters felt the paths brought them the flesh and blood that made them titans. And why would only Eldian newborns inherit the titan powers if the user dies? Non-Eldians gaining the power would retcon everything in Grisha's backstory.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Episode 12 of Season 2 was amazing* and we have confirmation Season 3 in 2018. Based on the Manga covers they showed during the announcement trailer, it will go all the way to the end of the Shiganshina arc.

* my only quibble is they didn't keep the scene where Historia breaks down and says Krista was a role they gave her and it was based on a book she read (with a panel that shows the first still they used for the ending creidts). However, that's probably because they're going to move it to the beginning of the Uprising arc so no biggie.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I guess it makes sense that S3 is firing off almost immediately, I suspect the mangaka was deliberately holding back on S2 until the manga got to the basement reveal.

Maybe he hadn't 100% nailed down the nature of the world outside the the walls, and wanted to make sure he could drip feed manga spoilers ahead of schedule in the anime.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Glad they didn't show Hannes' guts hanging out and everything, it's probably the worst death in the series for me

Seeing the Titans mobilize like that according to Eren's will was a really beautiful scene though all things considered

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 17, 2017

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Something I just now realized, but how was eren able to use the founding titan's ability while he was carrying Mikasa away? He wasn't touching Dina anymore.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It must've lingered for a few minutes.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm just of the assumption that because we've only seen the power once and it's as weirdly ethereal as "just touch someone" instead of "eat someone" or "get injected with something" we simply don't have enough explanation to really understand how that particular power, bloodlines, and the importance of the founder titan really work. It could be it's just lingering but it could also have to do with "life force" or "energy" or just plain tiredness in the same way that Eren could only ever stay in titan form temporarily until he practiced.

Also, gently caress, if the next season is coming next year, I really hope it's done with as much love and attention as the first two seasons and not just "we gave it to a cheaper studio" or "we scrounged up just enough funds" and it ends up being filler-like animation or content. Wasn't everyone insisting that the studio was already too busy to do this anime in time for a 2018 3rd season?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
With how crazy popular AoT is I don't think you need to worry about the budget.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

RatHat posted:

With how crazy popular AoT is I don't think you need to worry about the budget.

We're talking about the japanese animation industry here.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

season 1 and 2 both looked great so I'm not worried about season 3, but there's always the chance it could turn into berserk or something

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Manatee Cannon posted:

season 1 and 2 both looked great so I'm not worried about season 3, but there's always the chance it could turn into berserk or something

Don't you even joke about Attack on Titan getting that sloppy

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

man that beast titan transformation looks rough

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!
Waiting warmly for the poo poo machine to appear in season 3

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

font color sea posted:

Yeeaaah, that's probably going to be in shadow for the TV broadcast. You'll have to wait a bit longer for the DVD/Blu-Ray for the uncut experience.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

font color sea posted:

That part was really weird and out of place. I hope they just change it to regular torture in the anime.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
yeah, that was weird and even a bit embarrassing

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It's supposed to cool you off considerably in regards to the one doing it, and it's very effective at that

Regular old school violent torture, well, i mean even Hange is all over that

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There are other ways to show that the guy is a creepy weirdo without weird fetishy stuff.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The guy is a creepy weirdo because of his fetishes though?
I mean, there are more graceful ways to show that than full frontal poo poo machine (especially if you have the advantage of creative sound usage in a medium not relying on dead trees), but yeah, that's what this dude does.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Man I have been watching this youtube series where this married couple reacts to anime, and when they get to the final scene of the second season they see Zeke, and the husband comes up with a theory that the older man with glasses could possibly be Eren's brother, or half-brother. Not sure how he jumped to that conclusion. Also man the look on his face during the whole scene leading up to Hannes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Zeke looks similar to Grisha, it's not a far-fetched theory to make.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the first thing I thought when zeke showed up was how he looked like grisha

didn't think he was eren's brother but I could see someone thinking they were related

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

you could only see his silhouette though

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Watching the latest episode of the anime made me sad all over again for Ymir.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TWIST FIST posted:

you could only see his silhouette though

someone in the anime thread just asked if the guy on the beast titan's shoulder was eren's dad so :shrug:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Manatee Cannon posted:

someone in the anime thread just asked if the guy on the beast titan's shoulder was eren's dad so :shrug:

Broken clocks are right twice a day.

I saw a guy in a different thread excitedly coming up to that conclusion out of nonsense logic and forgetting what Grisha actually looks like.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Don't you even joke about Attack on Titan getting that sloppy

I don't know why you posted a gif from Musashi Gundoh.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Why did the Marleyans assume the Islanders only have two Titans under their power? Isn't it plausible that they'd have taken control of the female Titan too?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Thoren posted:

Why did the Marleyans assume the Islanders only have two Titans under their power? Isn't it plausible that they'd have taken control of the female Titan too?

It is plausible, but Marley doesn't have any personal confirmation on Annie's status. Unlike Bertolt, who Zeke saw in Eren's grip.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Reiner knows that the Islanders have Annie .

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Thoren posted:

Reiner knows that the Islanders have Annie .

Reiner was told they have Annie.

Yeah, we, as readers, know that's the truth, but Reiner doesn't have a personal see-it-with-his-own-eyes confirmation on that.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What else could have happened to her? It's not like she's been missing for a couple of hours.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
They could have kept her alive to get more information about Marley.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

McTimmy posted:

Reiner was told they have Annie.

Yeah, we, as readers, know that's the truth, but Reiner doesn't have a personal see-it-with-his-own-eyes confirmation on that.

The alternative would be that she died, and the Marleyans know that's not true because her power hasn't reappeared in the world somewhere.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Thoren posted:

The alternative would be that she died, and the Marleyans know that's not true because her power hasn't reappeared in the world somewhere.

If Annie had died (and not been eaten) then her power would've gone to a random newborn Elidian baby, right? That'd mean they couldn't know for certain.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Viridiant posted:

Watching the latest episode of the anime made me sad all over again for Ymir.

Actually watching it again, I realized they could have skipped a ton of the new couple of arcs, and Ymir could have given the scouts invaluable information of the state of the outside world (even if it is 60 years out of date). All without having to fight through the MPs and the royal family and Zeke. Not that those fights weren't inevitable.

But no, Ymir is simply too selfless to not offer herself up to Reiner to the detriment of the walled Eldians. So the story deliberately played coy for as long as possible until they could no longer delay the basement reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Bert, Reiner and Zeke have no idea what happened in the inner walls. Armin said they had Annie. Bertolt had no idea if that was true or not. They weren't in contact with Annie because they were secluded away. Now, Bert learned the Survey Corps had deduced Annie's identity, but she could have escaped their grasp. She's Annie, she whooped Eren's titan pretty drat easily after all. Bert even points this out in Shiganshina, that Armin may be lying about them having Annie locked away.

So, in this scenario, why wouldn't imaginary escaped Annie make it to Reiner and Bert? Because she doesn't know where they are. Because she wouldn't know they'd revealed theirselves. She could be laying low in the far north, or trying to circle around to Shiganshina (if that was a designated fallback point). She still needs food, water and sleep even if titan form makes travel easy. But they don't have any sort of long-distance communication. Annie can't give them status updates on twitter. There is UNCERTAINTY to what's true or not.

Now come up to Zeke giving his status report to the Marley Marshal. He states that Paradis likely has Four Titans under their control (Attack, Founding, Colossus and Female). Eren has Attack and Founding and everyone is certain of that. Meanwhile, the Colossus Titan and Female Titan powers hadn't resurfaced in Marley. Whether they're still alive or not, those powers would then be on Paradis. And of those two holders, Bertolt's Colossus was last seen as Eren's prisoner and NO ONE had seen Annie. So, when Zeke theorized what destroyed the 32 investigation ships, he goes to the more logical duo of Attack+Colossus. Yeah, they know that they probably have Female-Annie too, they're probably 99% sure. But that's a 99% Female Titan against 100% Colossus Titan.