Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Man, our daughter loved the pool last summer (7-10 months), but this year she's a lot more unsure of what to make of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Here my son just loves the pool and water in general. He'll stay in the pool until his lips are blue and he is shivering and will still cry a bit when we go out.

There are water fountains for kids in the park just beside our appartment and he just wants to play in the water forever.

Swimming lessons are hilarious too. We had some last year and we'll continue this year probably. If there are cheap swimming lessons for babies/kids I really really recommend them.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

AA is for Quitters posted:

No pictures, because the hubby wanted to nap instead of join us, but we went to the pool for the first time today.

Kiddo had a blast. Outside of a few times when he tried to break away from me and faceplanted into the water (where he then cried for about 3 seconds and realized he was fine and went back to laughing and splasing) he was all smiles and laughter. And he was walking by himself in the pool! (it's a wading pool that's only a foot deep), and tried swimming on his own when he saw the other kids doing it, but that didn't go well, but he loved when i was holding him up enough that his face was out of the water. And he loved using me like a raft to make it around the pool.

Also, he learned how to climb really well and it's terrifying.

(he just ate an oreo)

e: also His Divine Shadow, the twins are what, 3? and they're riding without training wheels? You finns/swedish/whatever you are from the north are awesome.

Went a lot better for you then! The first time for us it was 45 minutes of crying.

Those bikes aren't real bikes with pedals, but the kind you walk with instead of ride, so it's not as hard as a real bike, it's an alternative to support wheel bikes, supposed to learn them proper balance earlier, we got them last september (when they turned 3) but they weren't able to use them then.
I'd guess it took them a month to learn when we started on it (in may this year). My fiance told me they went 8km last night (!!!), into the center of town to visit their grandmother and back. But the last half km back was hard, with crying and stopping.

Edit, saw she had put some photos on FB, from her moms garden plot:

Looks pretty idyllic.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 16, 2017

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else have early waking issues in their 3 year old?

My 3 year old, ever since he dropped his binkey in May, has been dropping naps and waking real early. Like 5:15 early when he was regularly sleeping to 6:30 before (going to bed around 7-7:30 the whole time).

It's been just difficult. I know he's in a transition phase (he may also be going through a growth spurt) but it just sucks.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I think mine would spend all his time in the water if he could. He loved the pool the first time he went, and the thing he wanted to do most was just jump in from the edge over and over again. Loves throwing himself into the water.

And oh man I say this all the time but how is every stage better than the last?

He's just so sweet and wonderful and the only parts that are difficult is how badly he wants to be independent and do everything himself (and some bad behaviours he keeps picking up from daycare and my moms, but I'm working counteracting those and those aren't his fault, he's just doing what he thinks he's supposed to). Well that and his complete and total obsession with chasing birds. But who cares about things being a bit difficult when you've got a kid who does things like this:

So I'm in the kitchen and he's playing in the other room, and I bump my knee on a chair and go 'oof". I immediately hear his little feet come padding down the hall and he's yelling "Otay, daddy? You otay?" and then I tell him I just bumped my knee and he comes over and gives me a hug and covers it in kisses and then runs off to go back to playing.

It's just the sweetest thing and he does so much stuff like that and it makes my heart melt every time.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
^That reminds me of how my nephew used to wake me up by tickling my cheek saying "coochie coochie coo!" Followed by "wake up auntie Toriori, today is just the most beautiful day!"
I used to take him every Wednesday and second weekend when his brother was at his dads house and honestly it was the highlight of my week.

I feel prompted to post even though I haven't quite graduated the age range of the pregnancy thread. Did anyone do swimming "lessons" with their babies? The pool near my house does parent and tot swimming for three months and up. I'd love to take him but some of the logistics are throwing me through a loop ie what do I do for a swim diaper, how does showering work after etc

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I feel prompted to post even though I haven't quite graduated the age range of the pregnancy thread. Did anyone do swimming "lessons" with their babies? The pool near my house does parent and tot swimming for three months and up. I'd love to take him but some of the logistics are throwing me through a loop ie what do I do for a swim diaper, how does showering work after etc

We started taking our first to the pool when he was a couple of months old, back then it was more difficult to do the showering, but I went with my wife which helped. He wore a special bathing suit that had a sort-of diaper in it, enough to keep poo in (allegedly, I don't recall him ever pooing while at the pool).

Sometime after he turned 1 I took him once a week to parent-baby swimming lessons. Showering after was challenging but doable; depending on his mood it would sometimes be more of a rinse than actual soapy shower. He's now 5 1/2 and his sister is 1 1/2 and I've taken both of them together to the pool too, I have opted for quick rinse mostly to get her used to it and then we have a proper bath later at home.

Edit: showering alone with a baby and soap is challenging, they become quite slippery. If you are going to do that, be sure to experiment at home first to get used to the ways you have to grab them to keep a hold of them. I think at some point we tried showering while we wore a tshirt, that provided some texture to keep our baby in place.

rgocs fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 16, 2017

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

what do I do for a swim diaper

Here's a quick googled article. https://www.lucieslist.com/lucies-list-blog/2014/06/17/best-swim-diapers/

Swim diapers are awesome. Target carries speedo versions (they look like regular swim shorts for boys) which are what I've used the most. I cloth diapered my 1st so I had a few different swim diapers for him. Our 2nd just wears the speedo swim diaper we got from target under her normal suit. I've never bothered with disposable swim diapers. Some pools do require disposable instead of reusable though.

My 1st is out of diapers. My 2nd is still in diapers. One time did I ever have to clean up poop. For some reason kids don't seem to poop when in a pool. I have been peed on while carrying baby to the pool though, so I changed my strategy to putting the swim diaper on at the pool chairs, right before getting in.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
We used the iPlay ones with our kid (get the ones with snaps). Worked fine for us. Never had a poop issue but better safe than sorry. We always just put her on the toilet right before and right after changing.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Chlorinated soggy baby poop is pretty gross but the only time it was an issue that was no visible leaking, neither in the pool nor inside the plastic pants that were over the swim diaper. Our pool insists on diaper + pants, his mom insists on fun-looking trunk-type swimsuit on top of the plastic pants. I'm pretty sure my son doesn't care what he's wearing daddy water *splashes until he chokes on the water he splashed into his own face* water daddy! daddy water!

He's only made a couple blood-curdling screams in his life but by golly the first time in the pool this year was one of them.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
Apparently I have thrush! Little dude is asymptomatic so far, and I'm on day two of symptoms. I've been to the doctor and called his.

The directions I got from the doctor say to clean everything that comes into contact with my milk or his mouth daily.

He is 8 months old. EVERYTHING goes in his mouth. How the gently caress do I do this?

Edit: Oh poo poo, he just learned to crawl. Nothing is safe.

ArmadilloConspiracy fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 16, 2017

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I started my daughter at maybe 5 months. The pool / class program had a very specific swim diaper they wanted us to use, and they sold them at a reasonable price. Maybe check and see if that's the case?

I would only ever do a rinse-off at the shower at the pool, and saved proper soapy showers for after we got home and I could control the situation better.

My daughter is 3 now and has been swimming ever since. She loves the water and has never really had much of an issue with water on her head or hair, which I think the early water exposure helped with. I'll enroll my son in the fall session, probably, when he's old enough.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

^That reminds me of how my nephew used to wake me up by tickling my cheek saying "coochie coochie coo!" Followed by "wake up auntie Toriori, today is just the most beautiful day!"
I used to take him every Wednesday and second weekend when his brother was at his dads house and honestly it was the highlight of my week.

We did swim lessons at 6 months. We tag teamed it and I highly recommend this (I took him alone a couple times). Check with your pool on their policies, they'll tell you what they expect for swim diapers. Our pool only used disposables. Some people wrap a reusable on top of the disposable, we did not. It's just to keep poop in anyways, so a normal pocket diaper without any inserts is what most reusable swim diapers are. Afterwards, I would take him to the shower for a rinse (no soaping down), then I'd change him into a normal diaper and let him crawl around while I changed if his dad wasn't there (my son gets into EVERYTHING so not the best) or give him to his dad so I can change.

He had a lot of fun, but he definitely couldn't do most of the exercises. I enjoyed it for getting him used to it, and we're going to the kiddie pool in our neighborhood now.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

I loved the swimming lesson with the baby.

We used a reusable baby diaper (it basically just holds the poop in if he did poop. Never happened yet) and a sort of surf outfit on top (sometimes we don't)

Showering is quite simple, me of my girlfriend bring him into the changing room and shower while holding him. Changing is a bit of learning curve, but our changing rooms had some "changing chairs" in which you could strap your baby. I never used them but my girlfriend thought they were amazing.

It's a lot of fun and it's just meant to get your baby used to be in the water, put his head under the water, blow bubbles, etc. You can do it by yourself I guess but it's a fun outing and it's easier to be consistent if you paid for a class

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Anyone else have early waking issues in their 3 year old?

My 3 year old, ever since he dropped his binkey in May, has been dropping naps and waking real early. Like 5:15 early when he was regularly sleeping to 6:30 before (going to bed around 7-7:30 the whole time).

It's been just difficult. I know he's in a transition phase (he may also be going through a growth spurt) but it just sucks.

You need the Ok to Wake Clock or something similar. We've used one with our 3 yo since she was almost 2. It works pretty well most of the time.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
My mom is crazy about taking my kid swimming. She swears by getting a baby wetsuit even for warm water. It does let him stay in longer than 25 minutes.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
At least we don't have to worry about the shower thing, since we live across the street from the pool (although we're moving, so we'll be 3 blocks from the pool). Moving is going to be fun with him though. At least the new place is a lot easier to gate off and has a yard for him. It's only 6 blocks from where we currently are, which is great cause we love the neighborhood.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Does anyone have a good reference for diapers? That is, color/size/shape/smell, and what they mean?

Our 2-week old does largely formula with some breastmilk, and every diaper has been normal - but they've been super hungry out of nowhere, and diaper changes have gone up as a result - as has gassiness. Tonight, we had a yellow paste diaper with a cheese smell. Baby seems fine, so I'm not alarmed, but it seemed like a significant change.

Red fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 18, 2017

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Black, red, or white: call a doctor

Everything else: :itwaspoo:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

So my 18 month old threw up in my bed, then curled up in her vomit and fell back asleep. Then later she threw up in her bed. Parenting!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Red posted:

Does anyone have a good reference for diapers? That is, color/size/shape/smell, and what they mean?

Our 2-week old does largely formula with some breastmilk, and every diaper has been normal - but they've been super hungry out of nowhere, and diaper changes have gone up as a result - as has gassiness. Tonight, we had a yellow paste diaper with a cheese smell. Baby seems fine, so I'm not alarmed, but it seemed like a significant change.

Yellow paste diapers in particular are typical of breastfed baby poop. They have a pretty different look and smell from formula poop.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

kaschei posted:

Black, red, or white: call a doctor

Everything else: :itwaspoo:

Yup, baby poop is nondeterministic until like 3 months. Until then, just a RNG on what comes out that end, unless it is jet black, red, or white. Or if it is consistently runny or rock hard for more than 2 days. Then contact a medical professional.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Baby decided to climb onto the back of the couch and pee on "daddies bum".

Real tempted to just stick this kid back in diapers lately. Been lots of accidents that seem a lot less like accidents and a lot more like him wanting to see what sort of reactions he will get from peeing on things he isnt supposed to.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Baby decided to climb onto the back of the couch and pee on "daddies bum".

Real tempted to just stick this kid back in diapers lately. Been lots of accidents that seem a lot less like accidents and a lot more like him wanting to see what sort of reactions he will get from peeing on things he isnt supposed to.
Hm, how have you protected your power outlets?

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Why does my child have to climb? Why?

Two hours in the ER because my husband was in the other room packing and kiddo decided to climb up on a chair and then face plant into the baby gate.

One bloody nose, a good scratch on his head and a few nasty shiners later, the doc says "it looks way worse than it is. Cause it looks bad. But he was busy running around the ER, so I suppose they're right.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Some kids are climbers, after a while a nosebleed is nothing that phases you anymore, just a roll of the eyes (again!) and getting the tissues. Something wet and cold over the nose helps.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Also jeez these kids love their bicycles, every day this week now we've been biking several kilometers, sometimes multiple trips per day.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

His Divine Shadow posted:

Those bikes aren't real bikes with pedals, but the kind you walk with instead of ride, so it's not as hard as a real bike, it's an alternative to support wheel bikes, supposed to learn them proper balance earlier, we got them last september (when they turned 3) but they weren't able to use them then.

I guess those balance bikes are about as common in Finland as in Norway, lots of toddlers here use them... including my nephews; but we got one for our #1 son when he was little and neither he nor #2 or #3 ever showed much interest.

(Kick scooters, now, those are popular in our household as well as with absolutely all the other kids in the area. #3 son insisted on riding one starting at about 1 year and 9 months old, because why shouldn't he be able to do everything that his big brothers could, age difference be damned?)

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Today's the kid's six-month birthday, and also his first day in daycare! (I went back to work six weeks ago; we've cobbled together care from grandparents and friends until space opened up in the daycare.) I'm teleworking while our new A/C unit gets installed, so the Hubs had to deal with taking the kid to daycare for the first time. It's clear who has more experience in dealing with an infant, because he didn't notice that the kid had shat himself until after it had slid out onto the sleeve of his suit. At least wipes took care of most of it. #parenting

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

Also jeez these kids love their bicycles, every day this week now we've been biking several kilometers, sometimes multiple trips per day.

Running​ bikes are great. Even though we had other parents tell us for some weird reason it'd make it harder for our son to get on a proper bike. When we got him a pedal bike when he was 3 1/2 it took him literally 2 tries to get it. First time we held his bike, second time he just stopped and said "can you let go? I want to do it alone". Queue us running after him on the bike path keeping him from getting cycled over by others.

On the other hand, we haven't been able to get his sister interested in the running bike, hopefully soon.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
My oldest never liked his balance bike. He finally got onto a razor scooter just before 4. After a month or so of that I got him a regular 2 wheeler bike and he picked it up in one day.

My 2.5 year old used to make me push her while she kept her feet up on the balance bike. Lately she's been walking around on it herself. Not quite gliding yet but using it correctly at least. I think she's trying to keep up with her brother. She also uses the assortment of scooters we have around the house.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
How young can we try for a balance bike? Ours turned 2 in April, and is very sturdy on her feet, just not sure the usual age for that.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

How young can we try for a balance bike? Ours turned 2 in April, and is very sturdy on her feet, just not sure the usual age for that.

There make very small balance bikes, but kids are different. We got our eldest one on a balance bike when he was about 19 months old, he would just walk with the bike between his legs, but got the hang of it fairly quick. Our youngest is now 20 months old and shows no interest in it. If you know someone with one, I'd suggest you borrow it for a bit and try it out.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Chin Strap posted:

I've been suggesting it to my kid since 1. At about 1.5 there was 'walking' the strider around a park. Now at 2.5 there's full on coasting.

Don't pressure your kid into it. If he/she is interested, they'll eventually ask to go out on the bike. Also, get them used to wearing a helmet early. I'm quite proud that my kid insists on wearing his helmet before going out for a ride.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

Also, get them used to wearing a helmet early. I'm quite proud that my kid insists on wearing his helmet before going out for a ride.

This. Our 20-month daughter, while not into the running bike, will distribute helmets to her brother, mom and me, and ask us to clip hers on when we go on a bike ride (she goes on a bike seat).

On an unrelated topic, but similar reaction. When our son was 2 or 3, we were in the car, I stopped at a 4-way stop, and then turned left. While I was turning he saw another stop sign and totally lost it, he cried for 15 minutes about how "Dad didn't stop at the STOP sign!!!!"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Our little boo turns 3 in August. And I love her and it's been amazing but holy poo poo we are knee deep in the "NO!" and "IN A MINUTE" and "I'm GOING TO COMPLETELY IGNORE YOU AND REBEL" moments.

It's normal for that to be a 3 year old toddler reaction like 95% of the time right?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

Our little boo turns 3 in August. And I love her and it's been amazing but holy poo poo we are knee deep in the "NO!" and "IN A MINUTE" and "I'm GOING TO COMPLETELY IGNORE YOU AND REBEL" moments.

It's normal for that to be a 3 year old toddler reaction like 95% of the time right?

Yes. You're really going to enjoy the next year or so :cawg:

My 4 year old still feels the need to fight nightly battles on toothbrushing, showers, and peeing before bed, but the worst of the rest of it has mostly passed now.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 20, 2017

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Speaking of peeing... Nora has quite a few odd phrases she uses. She still wears a diaper at night (but otherwise is totally potty trained) and actually rarely pees in it. Last night she put her diaper on herself and of course peed through it... she comes to climb in our bed since hers is wet and says the phrase she uses whenever this happens: "I broke my back."

What an odd thing to say but that's what she says every time she pees through her diaper!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

David keeps coming up with new life wisdoms, such as last nights "Bitches & chocolate"

He might've said beaches though, it's hard to tell.... Dunno where he gets it, sounds like something from a rap song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Our 15 mo old is climbing everything :gonk: Normally, I wouldn't be so worried but we can't really secure stuff like the TV or bookcase cause we're probably moving in a month.

We redirect and make sure to pull him off dangerous stuff but I kinda feel like he's more exhausting now than he's ever been.

Add that to throwing food on the floor and not liking when he can't go everywhere.

I'm just hoping he grows out of the food thing soon.