Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Would you take the Red Pill or the Blue Pill
Red Pill
Blue Pill
View Results

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This week's Staff Pick is a celebratory double whammy to kick off summer AKA Movie Season

the falsity of cinematic Time and Space are openly toyed with in:

Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer (1984)

Directed by: Mamoru Oshii
Written by: Mamoru Oshii
Cinematography by: Akio Wakana
Based on a Manga by: Rumiko Takahashi
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088334/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

You don't need to see any other Urusei Yatsura stuff to appreciate this movie...stuck in an endless summer, the cheerful and beautiful invader Lum and her human fiancee Ataru have to find a way out, or get lost in the enticing loops of never ending sun and school festivals. You can find it online probably

and

The Matrix (1999)

Directed and Written by: The Wachowski Sisters (billed as the Wachowski Brothers)
Cinematography by: Bill Pope
Music by: Don Davis
Starring: Keanu Reeves and Laurence Fishbourne
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133093/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

Will you take the Blue Pill and go to bed, forgetting everything you've seen and heard...or will you take the Red Pill watch this movie again that has always and will forever kick a lot of rear end. Available at your local target for $19.99, but you will need a DVD Player to get the full widescreen experience. I recommend a PS2, as it can also play a great selection of high-poly action games.

let's crack some brews and ring in the movie season with these awesome classics :cheers:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the Staff Picks Archives
January 31st, 2017: Cure
February 7th, 2017: Westfront 1918
February 14th, 2017: John Wick
February 21st, 2017: Red Sorghum
February 28th, 2017: God of Gamblers
March 7th, 2017: The Autopsy of Jane Doe
March 14th, 2017: Perfect Blue
March 21st, 2017: Spring Breakers
March 28th, 2017: Cemetery of Splendor
April 20th, 2017: Parallax View
April 27th, 2017: Right Now, Wrong Then
May 02th 2017: Stalker
May 12th 2017: White God
May 19th, 2017: Red Beard
June 1st, 2017: The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i made this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1hYrWGqY6g

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the one problem i have with the matrix is that i have to play about 4 hours of burnout 3 before i can even watch the dvd. not a real complaint but it just takes up most of my day

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Was Urusei Yatsuri an anime series also?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

Was Urusei Yatsuri an anime series also?

Yes, with hundreds of episodes. You don't need much to watch the film though, they recap it all in the first like 2 minutes. You just need to know that Lum is an alien who calls Ataru Darling. I'm going to watch this tomorrow after going to the beach and cracking some cold ones with the boys .

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Watching through the Matrix and I can see all the religious connotations that people connected to the movie. I gotta wonder how they set up Zion after being awoken from those tanks full of goo...like after disconnecting, wouldn't they have been flushed down and out into the water?

I hope no one minds me double posting while watching.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I wonder why Cypher doesn't just pull Neo's and Morpheus plug once he's out. Why take all that time to exposition and just tease Trinity.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Since the real enemies are the agents, I wonder if they feel any guilt in the fight scene when they are about to save Morpheus killing all those guards and swat members, people who won't have a chance to be free from the matrix.

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 25, 2017

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Man, what a good movie clocking in at a little over 2 hours. I loved the action scenes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

Watching through the Matrix and I can see all the religious connotations that people connected to the movie. I gotta wonder how they set up Zion after being awoken from those tanks full of goo...like after disconnecting, wouldn't they have been flushed down and out into the water?

I hope no one minds me double posting while watching.

The first thing anybody says to Neo is "your my personal Jesus Christ man!" lol

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Missed that one..

What the heck is Urusei Yatsura...what am I watching?

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 25, 2017

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i thought the idea of zion was some people were never connected and were the last remaining vestiges of society

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Humans are an insanely inefficient source of bioelectricity.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Started beautiful dreamer and had totally forgotten about the Nazi Coffee Shop

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

what teacher approved this??? Unbelievable

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ataru is so drat horny!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The music in this movie kicks so much rear end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i want an apron that says LUM on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

heres all my screengrabs http://imgur.com/a/amxSE its a drat fine movie. capitalism has destroyed all sense of self, place and temporality and ataru's response is to crack open some cold ones with the boys for eternity. oshii and the people he worked with had a really good sense of empty space and shadow, all the emotionally empty suburban landscape is perfectly ruinous in this. if you haven't seen any other oshii i would highly recommend the Patlabor OVAs + first two movies, deals with similar themes with a harsher militarist bent. well worth a watch or 7

• Locked thread