Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I used an electric razor from 14- early 20's. I use to just do it dry which would irritate the hell out of my skin, especially my neck area. I then realized how dumb and gross electric razors were, which is when I switched to your standard safety razor /shaving cream which I've been rocking ever since.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a straight razor and trying the old fashioned way. I've had straight razor shaves before at the barbers and it owns. My only reservations are that good ones are expensive, I'm likely going to cut myself like an idiot, and I'm not sure of the time commitment required to get a proper shave.

Do any goons do it the old-fashioned way? Is it worth it? Do you have any recommendations? Do you just let your neckbeard grow until an animal tries to nest there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
if you shave with a straight razor you're probably the kind of human being who buys mustache wax

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
verry carefully

sexpot
Nov 12, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
DE safeties are great

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Robo Reagan posted:

if you shave with a straight razor you're probably the kind of human being who buys mustache wax

I don't want a mustache, or a beard, that's the point of shaving.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Derby DE blades are poo poo, Feather supremacy

Aryu Kiddimeh
Nov 9, 2012
recklessly

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I use an ordinary Mach3 that I've been using for like 6 years. I've tried dozens of other electric shavers and manual razors over the years, but they all destroy my sensitive skin more than a Mach3. It's nothing great but it does the job nicely.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
I head to the local swirling barber pole and ask for a lather, trim, and shoe shine

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
laser that poo poo you cocksucker

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I use that electric razor that you think you're too good for, because I hate wet shaving and it takes too long when I'm already running late most mornings

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
stop being poo poo at getting ready in the morning

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
I'm sure there are people who use straight or safety razors and don't go out of their way to mention it if it's even tangentially relevant, but ones who do are the only ones I have ever knowingly been exposed to.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My first shaver was given to me by my dad that had to have been from the 1970s. We were pretty well off but my parents were cheap as poo poo so I had to use that for a while. Holy poo poo did that thing suck. It tore up my skin.

It literally looked something like this:

Yeah, thanks dad.

Then at 18 I joined the Marines and they gave us Mach 3s I believe. We had about 30 seconds to shave max so I started to like that razor. Now I take my time and it takes me about 3-4 minutes. I have a similar one now and I can't find anything better. I have an electric shaver but I just can't get into it. You kind of have to get used to it after a while but my hair is so thin that it's hard to get everything.

I also sometimes use these Gillette disposable blades from Costco. Being Costco I got like a years worth for maybe $15 and they actually work really well but just don't last long. I don't shave even close to daily so I still have a lot from years ago.

That reminds me. I kind of look like a hobo now. This happens a lot so I use a beard trimmer without the guard to get it down to a manageable level before I wet shave.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
If I were rich, I'd pay to have this service at my home ever morning. Complete with the cold, dead eyes staring into the distance during the head massage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeHd_dkz3Rg

Dewp
Sep 3, 2009

satisfaction
Ah so that's what shave means

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

How are electric shavers gross? Did you have a nice one and clean it after every use? I have a Philips Norelco and I love it. Also doubles as a beard trimmer. :clint:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just shave with a regular Gillette razor in the shower using my fingers to stretch the skin and guide me. When I go to the barber once every 2 months I'll get a straight razor shave cause it feels good and he can detail it better than I can

Electric razors have always irritated the gently caress out of my skin whenever I've bought them so I just stear clear. It's probably something I'm doing wrong but whatever

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Pawn 17 posted:

How are electric shavers gross? Did you have a nice one and clean it after every use? I have aPhilips Norelco and I love it. Also doubles as a beard trimmer. :clint:

Electric shavers are fine and aren't gross. But they annihilate my skin and are much slower to shave with than a good manual razor. They don't shave as close either. That's all.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Aesop Poprock posted:

I just shave with a regular Gillette razor in the shower using my fingers to stretch the skin and guide me. When I go to the barber once every 2 months I'll get a straight razor shave cause it feels good and he can detail it better than I can

I've always wanted to try that. I'm a bit shaky though so I'd probably die.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Bulk bic disposables

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Pawn 17 posted:

How are electric shavers gross? Did you have a nice one and clean it after every use? I have a Philips Norelco and I love it. Also doubles as a beard trimmer. :clint:

The answer is no, and no. But primarily it irritated my skin.

The only thing I miss is the beard trimmer, because I used it on my nethers once it got too unruly.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I use an ordinary Mach3 that I've been using for like 6 years. I've tried dozens of other electric shavers and manual razors over the years, but they all destroy my sensitive skin more than a Mach3. It's nothing great but it does the job nicely.

You should try Harry's razors they are cheaper and comparable quality

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've always wanted to try that. I'm a bit shaky though so I'd probably die.

The guy I go to has the best/most reviews online in the county I live in so I figured I could trust him with a service he had prominently displayed. Plus a haircut/shave is like $15 combined which is cheap as hell

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.
i pull out each hair with tweezers

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm absolutely not a morning person so being presented with a straight razor right after waking up isn't a good idea.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i replace all ur hairs while u sleep :3 also with tweezers :3 :3

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

DE Safety Razor and shaving soap does the trick p loving well. Takes time but its worth it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Olive Mohel posted:

I'm sure there are people who use straight or safety razors and don't go out of their way to mention it if it's even tangentially relevant, but ones who do are the only ones I have ever knowingly been exposed to.

I purposely do not talk about this poo poo in real life, because like all niche things holy gently caress do people sperg about it..

Because this is a shaving thread, I'll say I use Astra platinum DE blades, Cremo shaving cream, and proraso aftershave (the green stuff because it's nice and refreshing and the smell goes away quickly).

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've been using the same gillette in the shower for like 3 months

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
Oh god. I remember using something like that for one of my first shaves. Was not entirely my dad's fault because he taught me to use razor, but I was curious about what an electric was like, so I asked him and he handed me something only slightly more modern than that thing - tweezers would have been more pleasant.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Blue Train posted:

Bulk bic disposables

Yeah that's what my Costco disposables are. Bic. Works great.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Aesop Poprock posted:

The guy I go to has the best/most reviews online in the county I live in so I figured I could trust him with a service he had prominently displayed. Plus a haircut/shave is like $15 combined which is cheap as hell

Oh poo poo that's a great deal. Hard to find just a haircut at that price.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

If you guys are using Bic disposables, even the better DE blades are like .15 a pop and good for several shaves, but I dunno if price is your reason or whatever.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I was given a DE kit as a gift and I like it better than cartridges.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I use a sharp object and have gotten to the point where bleeding is minimal.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've got a bag of those orange disposable Bic razors but I end up using the same one for months at a time. I just shave in the shower or splash water on my face, no cream.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
let loose a hungry rat on my face

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I burn my nipple hairs off with a lighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Usually goes something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLDVfl3OJb8

• Locked thread