Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Latest Update: Episode 10: Childhood's Beginning (8/11)

Silent Hill is a survival horror game for the Sony Playstation, published by Konami and developed by Team Silent (a subsidiary of Konami JP). It was released worldwide in 1999, and from then on survival horror was never the same. It was revolutionary at the time, now heralded as a true classic- and for good reason. It stretched the PS1 to its absolute limits to bring high quality sound, great looking and stylized graphics, lighting effects, and (nearly) complete voice acting. It all comes together to create one incredibly atmospheric world. Back in the day, you really felt like you were right there in the shoes of Harry Mason, protagonist and father of the year, as he scoured the monster-filled town of Silent Hill searching for his daughter. And now, you'll hopefully feel that again.

Silent Hill is fantastic, to say the least. It is one of my favorite horror games, among my all-time favorite horror series! Sorry, Dead Space. It's a really interesting time capsule of mid-90s culture and video games and even today it comes to life in truly fascinating ways. I love this game and want to show it to anyone who somehow hasn't seen it in the 20-some-odd years it's been around, as well as do a cannon ball into the lake of nostalgia to send a tidal wave washing over you, the viewer.

Please don't. I know the game is old enough to vote and drive but the plot is pretty interesting so in my opinion it's better if it's rolled out slowly. Also, I'll be doing bonus videos on the story and stuff to go into further detail so don't worry, there'll be lots of time to talk about the game's cool and creepy world.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Enter Harry Mason, most determined father of all time, though perhaps not the most observant. Silent Hill is, as it turns out, not the most friendly place for tourists.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

You're a cool dude, this is a cool game, I'm in! I've seen two LPs of this game so far, and there's something about it that's just...so watchable.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I was thinking of putting up a request for a new Silent Hill 1 LP (nothing wrong with Voidburger's old LP except the video quality showing its age a bit, I just wanted to see someone else's take on SH1) a couple of days ago, so this is some excellent timing.

SH1, I think, is still the scariest game in the series, although SH3 also gets pretty intense at times. The SH1 soundtrack is downright horrifying (in a good way), and the pixelated PSone graphics actually enhance the atmosphere for me.

edit: I've never noticed this before -- is that a goddamn Medieval Madness pinball machine in the diner? I thought SH1 was supposed to take place in the mid-80s! MY IMMERSION

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 11, 2017

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred
Just spotted this on Youtube and flew back to find the thread. Will you be talking about the street names and other details? It's plenty enjoyable without the side information but knowing it adds to the fun I think.

Looking at the graphics, for such an old game it really holds up well. Thanks for doing this, it really got me into survival horror games and scared the poo poo out of me when I played it alone in a dark room. As per the recommendation of the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, yeah, I'll be a doing bonus feature on the ten billion references to pop culture found in the game. Currently I have a couple of fun bonus videos planned!

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Things I have to say about this episode, in the order that you reach them:

1) I'm doubt that being killed to death by little children-size monsters wielding knives feels at all like being run over by a truck.

2) The polygon jank in this game is both painful to look at as well as nostalgic as hell.

3) Study, damnit!

4) You have to pick up the knife because the game is making sure you have a guaranteed way of dealing damage, even if you run out of bullets.

5) Hahahahahaha I forgot how freaking huge the streets are, they're as big as freeways!

6) I don't recall if the radio gives away your location in this game. I think that's something they added for subsequent games.

7) Dogs take extra damage during their leaps, yes.

8) What the hell, I completely forgot about that location. But this reminds me, I think most, if not all, indoor locations have save points.

All in all, fun update. Thanks for good times, CJ.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Doc Morbid posted:

The SH1 soundtrack is downright horrifying (in a good way)
One of my favorite weird videogame facts is that the guy who did the insane dark ambient/noise soundtrack for the Silent Hill games was somehow also responsible for all the kickin' rad thrash metal riffs in the Contra: Shattered Soldier soundtrack.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Nice, what a great game for an LP CJacobs. Lookin' forward to the adventures of Harry 'Gumby Legs' Mason!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
This is gonna be great. It's been ages since I've seen an LP of SH1 (the last one was VB's), and even longer since I've played it myself. Not since the early-mid 2000s, like I said in the Alan Wake LP thread.

I definitely remember the jittery models/textures/animations, though. I seem to remember that being due to the PS1 not being capable of Z-buffering? Or maybe it was due to it using fixed-point rather than floating-point calculations, as described here. (From a quick google search.) I don't know; old hardware, anyway.

Doc Morbid posted:

SH1, I think, is still the scariest game in the series, although SH3 also gets pretty intense at times. The SH1 soundtrack is downright horrifying (in a good way), and the pixelated PSone graphics actually enhance the atmosphere for me.

People tend to give it some flak, but I actually find SH4 to be the scariest of the original SH games. In fact, in terms of overall affection for the SH games, for me it goes SH2 > SH4 > SH3 > SH1 > all post-Team-Silent SH games. So SH1 doesn't fare too well there, I guess. It was ground-breaking for its time, but I think it suffered for me since I played it after SH2.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always love the eternally trilling guitars in the Silent Hill soundtrack. They sound soooo goood!

I've only ever watch LPs of these games as I'm a giant baby when I play horror games. The Furthest I got was in Silent Hill 3, and even then I never beat it. Oddly enough I was able to power through that cowardice for Project Zero, and got very far in that game.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, for all the many questionable gameplay decisions Silent Hill 4 had going, that game had atmosphere coming out the rear end.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anime Reference posted:

One of my favorite weird videogame facts is that the guy who did the insane dark ambient/noise soundtrack for the Silent Hill games was somehow also responsible for all the kickin' rad thrash metal riffs in the Contra: Shattered Soldier soundtrack.

The songs in games like Silent Hill are a huge inspiration for me since I started making music as a hobby.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I don't know anything about this game other than that it's supposed to be real spooky so I'm definitely in.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I will forever, never, ever be over the loving terror I felt first walking down the alley, watching the camera actually move (after RE1's static cameras), seeing the sun go down, hearing the air raid siren, coming across the wheelchair and stretcher, the blood and the music and the noise ramping up, and then just everything else happening all at once.

Even as goofy as the first Silent Hill movie got as it went on replicating that alley scene was a masterful way to draw me into it at least.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Kibayasu posted:

I will forever, never, ever be over the loving terror I felt first walking down the alley, watching the camera actually move (after RE1's static cameras), seeing the sun go down, hearing the air raid siren, coming across the wheelchair and stretcher, the blood and the music and the noise ramping up, and then just everything else happening all at once.
The first time I saw the opening alley section, it was in black and white (apparently my friend's pirated NTSC copy of the game didn't like his PAL television) which somehow made things even more terrifying. :gonk: I haven't been scared by a game that much before or since.

I may or may not have always been a giant baby when it comes to horror stuff.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's okay to be scared by SH1, SH1 was a legit scary game.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
I am so glad to see you doing this, this is one of the best games ever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lesson learned: Do not attend parent-teacher conferences. Going to your child's school for any reason other than to pick them up at the end of the day is a great way to get sucked into a conversation with a teacher about local football teams and drinking after work.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Night10194 posted:

It's okay to be scared by SH1, SH1 was a legit scary game.
Yeah. It's kind of hard to see why anymore, but at the time it gave me some genuine chills and my sister flat-out refused to be in the same room when I played it.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
With the auto aim, doesn't this game have that thing where the character will be more accurate the longer he targets an enemy since he's just a regular dude and not a marksman? And if you fire right away you have a greater chance of missing? Or is that from the later games?

And it wasn't until this LP that I noticed that the enemy noise indication doesn't actually come from the radio but the enemy themselves. It moves away with them.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm pretty sure the static still comes from the radio, it just gets worse/louder the closer the enemy is. When they move away they stop interfering with the radio.

This was about as far as I got in this game when I played it around the time it came out. It just freaked me out too much to keep going on past the school and I never picked it back up.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I did a bit of a double-take on the "Woodman" key too, but it's because the Tin Man's original name was "Tin Woodman".

I forgot about that part with the cat. I was like "wow, a literal cat scare; this game really was made a long time... oh." It was a bit nasty, but I'm glad it was more than just a straight cat scare.

I've always been disappointed in how puzzle-heavy the Silent Hill series has been. Especially since the puzzles are so abstract and video-gamey. It's one thing I wish they hadn't lifted from the Resident Evil games. I was really hyped to play SH2 (again the first SH game I played) - for quite a while, too, as I had to wait for it to finally be ported to PC. And then it turned out there was so much trundling around looking for the x crest to slot into the y door, or whatever.

I dunno... I think at the time I was hoping for something more like Clive Barker's Undying. Love that game.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Psychotic Weasel posted:

This was about as far as I got in this game when I played it around the time it came out. It just freaked me out too much to keep going on past the school and I never picked it back up.

Same here, I think I made it halfway through the school before throwing in the towel.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Detective Thompson posted:

With the auto aim, doesn't this game have that thing where the character will be more accurate the longer he targets an enemy since he's just a regular dude and not a marksman? And if you fire right away you have a greater chance of missing? Or is that from the later games?

Yeah, you might notice throughout that when I take aim and immediately shoot, Harry usually misses. He has perfect accuracy at close range if you give the guy a second to line up a shot, but far away is always kind of a crapshoot. I'm not sure if that continues in later games but it would make sense. I think it's pretty cool, even if it doesn't really matter all that much because the game throws pistol ammo at you like it's chucking rocks at a parade float.

(edit: Also, if you shoot the dog enemies while they're leaping like a huge badass, it does more damage and sets them up for a stomp instantly.)

Also, Silent Hill 1 is really interesting about some of its mechanics that are half-finished, then whole-finished in the sequels. A sampling:

- Harry has to reload his guns, but only if you hold down the trigger. The pistol has (I think) a 10-round magazine, and if you fire 10 shots without releasing the fire button, he'll stop and reload. Only if you do that, however. Otherwise you can fire as many times as you want. The same is true for the other weapons as well! Future games in the series fix this by having your remaining magazine capacity be consistent, but you can still reload via your inventory to skip that if you want.

- The breathing Harry does if you run for a while has no gameplay effects, but it does in future games in the series. In Silent Hill 2 and 3 you start off with a small burst of speed when you run, but then you slow down to a more jogging pace, which you can fix by walking for a while or just stopping to catch your breath (which regains your stamina faster). Silent Hill Origins takes this even further by letting you manage your stamina with health-drink like stamina recovery items!

- This game came out at around the time the PS1's original Dualshock controller did, and so it has analog control support! If you really want to, you can steer Harry around with the analog stick, but with tank controls it's a pain in the god drat fanny. Future Silent Hill games expand on analog control support by giving you a setting that makes them control more like a standard third person game, but the special secret is that the tank controls are always, always better.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 19, 2017

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Oh man, CJacobs does Silent Hill? Hell yes, it must be my birthday!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The way-too-young-to-be-playing-Silent-Hill me was, to put it mildly, not expecting a dark and spooky school filled with stabby grey children to somehow get worse.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I gotta say, the whole "It's written in blood" thing gets a bit silly when just about everything at this school seems to be written in blood. Did they have Sideshow Bob working there?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just wish Harry had gotten more indignant about it as you went on.

"It's written in... blood?"

"It's written in blood."

"It's also written in blood."

"This too is written in blood."

"Gee, what do you know, it's written in blood."

"What the, it's written in... cat piss! Just kidding, it's also blood."

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I live near a Boston Market.

Just throwing that out there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You may or may not be in hell, it is presently unclear. How near is the closest Konami Burger?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Wherever one is, it could be much farther away, I feel. I have a cat, too, though I have the good sense not to stuff her in a rusty locker.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm near multiple Boston Markets. I've never actually been inside, though.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I am near one Boston Market and I only know this because it was a big deal when someone drove through the front glass doors and caused a mess. I never noticed this BM before so I can only assume it's some sort of Dionaea House filter that tucks it beneath my vision of reality until I am ready to enter its sweetly meat scented gates. Their creamed spinach was pretty great when I last ate there in the 90s, so I look forward to this!

Also God, I thought you had first said 'back on the streets of Yarnham'. Close! They both have plenty of doggos and puppers running around.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The use of the fog and the flashlight in Silent Hill is amazing, and one of the biggest things that made it stand out from RE.

Also, the 3' Steel Pipe is the greatest weapon any man can wield against abominations, and SH as a series will continue to bear this out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I can't help but wonder where all the blood on the grates actually comes from. There's a lot of it, but no source. Maybe the grates themselves are bleeding. Who knows! Now's probably not the best time to think about it!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I want a Silent Hill game where the protagonist is a professional cleaner. The first time she sees the rust-and-blood otherworld she starts scrubbing until the chainlink loving shines. Removed any references to monsters from later games in line with the spoiler policy.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 26, 2017

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
My girlfriend needs me to comment that the hell children look like sloths. Murdersloths. They even have "claws"! It's true!

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I want a Silent Hill game where the protagonist is a professional cleaner. The first time she sees the rust-and-blood otherworld she starts scrubbing until the chainlink loving shines. Removed any references to monsters from later games in line with the spoiler policy.

You don't want a cleaner. You want a crazy person.

So regarding this episode, yes, this was when I first put down the game when I first played it years ago, and didn't touch it for months. I was that creeped out by it.

Also, just to clarify, when you were talking about the name of a certain thing, you got the wrong name. I don't remember what the name actually is, but it's not what you said in the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's actually called the Split Head. The Split Worm is not until Silent Hill 3.

But you can see how I might be confused about that!

• Locked thread