Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Game looks pretty sweet. Seems to be running on the same engine as Hyrule Warriors? At least, it looks very similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Most definitely, if there's one thing Omega Force know how to do it's reuse poo poo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Anyone not keeping up with FE warriors, the battle system seems to be standard DW-style combat, with up to 4 characters playable in one mission. You can pair up two of them on the field to have an assist attack available and have double super attacks.

And stuff like Mission Start and the level up screen can be turned off.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
So were there any pegasus knights

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They introduced like 6 characters out of assuming 30.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

So were there any pegasus knights

No, the game starts halfway through a campaign so they've all died to a single arrow.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Which of the Musou games do you think had the best career mode, in a 'start as just this guy and rise to the top' sort of way?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

FredMSloniker posted:

Which of the Musou games do you think had the best career mode, in a 'start as just this guy and rise to the top' sort of way?

I always really liked DW4XL's version. It was my first Musou game though, so that may be nostalgia talking.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

FredMSloniker posted:

Musou doesn't actually do that really, its factions typically and you rotate across its units, at least in modern Musou games.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

The only Musou game that I've played that can possibly let you do that is DW8:Empires.
It's really good though. Give it a shot.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Yes, the Empires games can often let you accomplish that much.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

FredMSloniker posted:

Story of Sanada

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is there anything to that game besides being a long sanada version of Samurai Warriors 4-II?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Tae posted:

Is there anything to that game besides being a long sanada version of Samurai Warriors 4-II?

nope, it owns

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Structurally it has a lot more in common with anime Musou games where you're playing through a single story rather a bunch of interconnecting ones. It has some semi-open maps which unfortunately are mostly only used to grind crafting mats and battles are split into multiple stages and certain things you do in one stage can affect your tactical options in the next, which is pretty cool.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 is a career mode game right?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes

E: Well it's more like the extra mode of SW4 but a bit more fleshed out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DON'T get SW: Spirit of Sanada on PC though. It's a REALLY bad port.
Easily the worst port of any Warriors game on PC which says a lot considering the history Koei Tecmo has with PC ports.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Jack Trades posted:

DON'T get SW: Spirit of Sanada on PC though. It's a REALLY bad port.
Easily the worst port of any Warriors game on PC which says a lot considering the history Koei Tecmo has with PC ports.

It ran fine for me once I set my laptop to not use the integrated graphics card. :shrug:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Allarion posted:

It ran fine for me once I set my laptop to not use the integrated graphics card. :shrug:

Define "fine".
Because I was getting 40 fps in the town on lowest settings at 1080p.
That should not happen on a GTX 1060.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I've had no problems with Spirit of Sanada on PC, but I also turned down a few of the graphics settings. It's been fun, I like it.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The god rays were a super killer of the framerate. They don't even look that great. Turned them off and I was able to turn ambient occlusion back on. Also, I read that supposedly towns are locked at 30 anyway, but I don't know whether that's true or not.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm glad I don't have to care about any of this poo poo.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skA1jSjLiik

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I want to believe but my gut is telling me that DW9 is going to be a failed experiment a la DW6.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
as long as it's got more replayability than Spirit of Sanada, I'll give it a shot. 20-25 to finish the game and maybe 50 hours total for platinum is way too short for a musou game.

JohnnyTreachery fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 22, 2017

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

out of all the rotk and nobunaga's ambition games on steam/ps4 which is the best one?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

NA Ascension

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I want to believe but my gut is telling me that DW9 is going to be a failed experiment a la DW6.

I really hope it doesn't turn up like that. :smith:

From what little you can tell from the video (people getting beaten up. woo. :effort:) Looks like they're definitely pushing the graphical side pretty hard. Day/night cycle from the looks of it, more detailed models... Which is kind of not really the important stuff in these games.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Policenaut posted:

NA Ascension

the last time i played a nobunaga game was, well, na1. are they more playable these days or is it still a circus of rollercoaster economies and ais that draft hundreds of units without taking a stability or average training penalty and then steamrolling your poo poo?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

The White Dragon posted:

the last time i played a nobunaga game was, well, na1. are they more playable these days or is it still a circus of rollercoaster economies and ais that draft hundreds of units without taking a stability or average training penalty and then steamrolling your poo poo?

Infinitely more playable. NAA even lets you get some rotk style action by letting you be a single officer. I do think rotk13 with the puk is pretty fun. My last game I was lu lingqui and after cao cao KILLED MY FATHER :qq: I spent the next 20 odd years becoming a bandit queen who teamed up with some Mongols to push his poo poo in

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I only ever play Ascension in officer mode and I have a pretty fun time of it. The whole hometown building mechanic is so fun to play around with in the early stages and has worth throughout the entire game with the additional resources it gives you. The battle system feels pretty good too, a lot more Kessen inspired with a heavier focus on positioning along with varying army formations and commands that exploit each others' weaknesses coupled with officer abilities. No dueling kind of sucks, but I like that gifts aren't gameified stat increases but rather just gifts you give to improve loyalty. I'm not that great at macro warfare though, like a lot of my wars that I personally control end up being slugfests where every month me and my opposing force are dragging the bare scraps of conscripts refilled during the fighting of the previous month back to the fight, but that's just me being bad. I'd prefer Ascension or RTK13 to have more of a free-spirited approach like RTK8/10 but Ascension felt a lot more like an evolved version of RTK13's proof of concept. I think it's a very good meeting of Force and Officer based systems.

It's so much easier to manage things in this game than RTK13, like you can tell a retainer to work on lowering a foreign officer's loyalty and they'll do it quietly in the background without any further prompting until you tell them to stop or reach a milestone in loyalty damage instead of having them report in after a month and have to send them back out to keep going. If I want an officer to improve a stat in a certain region, I can just set it and forget it while RTK13 makes it into busy work watching circles fill so I can tell that same officer to repeat the task every two minutes. That and the AI doesn't act like it's trying to get out of doing any actual work, wherein RTK13 quickly forced the responsibility of waging war for the entire kingdom on me and assigning me to manage newly conquered cities to the point where my Ruler was only managing a small number far from the front lines and I alone was managing dozens. It got to the point in RTK13 that I was purposefully withdrawing my forces before a city was captured just so I wouldn't be forced to further extend my resources thinner across even more cities.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Has anyone bought Sphere of Influence on Steam? From what I can tell, this is the game + expansion, with a full English translation, and this is the original version, which you don't need any more. It's just wigging me out that the former is cheaper than the latter, has Japanese in the title, and a worse review average.

I guess I can always buy it and refund it if it's not what I'm looking for.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i can confirm ascension is in english

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

that said, its a pretty hard game to understand. i did the tutorial just fine but its rather shallow, after which i started playing as ginchiyo tachibana. which went fine for a while, until i got promoted and got another piece of land which seemed to give me new options, but since it was another castle it didn't really interact with my older ones in any way. it had its own districts where you could build, but only on the world map and a ton of actions to do, but only 1 available per turn since i had no retainers (despite having a husband who had been helping me out).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Davincie posted:

but only 1 available per turn since i had no retainers (despite having a husband who had been helping me out).

you gotta request retainers from your daimyo

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there was no button for that!

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Due to steam sale, are any of the DW8:Empires DLC worth it? It all seems absurd, like $10 for a couple of cosmetics?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Honestly no, none of them are worth it. The closest is the Castle and Scenario Pack, which does add a couple more scenarios, but none of them are really worth the price of admittance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ambivalent posted:

Due to steam sale, are any of the DW8:Empires DLC worth it? It all seems absurd, like $10 for a couple of cosmetics?

It's super absurd.