Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
counterpoint: an arcade fire song intended to prevent teen suicide is pretty obviously going to be as blatant and direct as possible. i really like the song, especially the second verse and the "it's not painless / she was a friend of mine" bridge. it's clear the band lost someone close to them along the way and while it's not a perfect song, it has an impact on people struggling with depression and who may have overcome suicidal thoughts at one point (such as myself)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Why didn't I know there were new Haim singles, why am I always late to this stuff

Why are their songs so good despite always consisting 80% of a single loving hook over and over again

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CRINDY posted:

counterpoint: an arcade fire song intended to prevent teen suicide is pretty obviously going to be as blatant and direct as possible. i really like the song, especially the second verse and the "it's not painless / she was a friend of mine" bridge. it's clear the band lost someone close to them along the way and while it's not a perfect song, it has an impact on people struggling with depression and who may have overcome suicidal thoughts at one point (such as myself)

if you really wanted to prevent teen suicide then having them listen to arcade fire sounds like a terrible idea

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Do teens even like Arcade Fire?

AwwJeah posted:

In the past, the worst criticism I've ever been able to levy against arcade fire is maybe I thought a song or two was boring. This is the first time I've ever thought I was listening to an actively bad song from them.

For me it's just too shrill and the lyrics are just way too on the nose. AF have never shied away from being embarrassingly sincere and they've always teetered on the edge of self-importance what with their perpetual finger waging at "the kids"and such but this is really jumping the shark for me. Feels like a miscalculated attempt to be something that arcade fire definitely are not, which is edgy, direct, and abrasive. The backing track is fine alone but the vocals aren't selling me on any of it. I feel some strong second hand embarrassment every time I listen to it, no joke.

Hopefully this is just a case of them subverting our expectations after giving us the mission statement of Everything Now. I can't imagine a world where they think this is a centerpiece single from their new record. I have tickets for them in October and I'd hate to finally see them live only to have it be in support of songs like Creature Comfort.

This is a good post :respek:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Real Name Grover posted:

I bought Funeral shortly after it came out in 2004 and I was 14 at the time, but I found out about it through internet forums and I would absolutely not expect every teen to have a similar experience with them. Most teens probably hear about them through hearing Wake Up played at an event or in a commercial, if they even hear about them at all.

Also The Suburbs won a Grammy for album of the year 6 years ago, but that's not exactly an album I've heard people talk about a lot outside of internet forums and a select group of friends, even after the Grammy win.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Arcade Fire are like, dad rock to most teens nowadays.

Also, EDM is what the vast majority of people under 21 listen to for the most part at this point.

T Bowl fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 19, 2017

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
The new Kevin Morby album is awesome and so is this article about it:

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2017/06/16/532586685/kevin-morby-explains-his-new-album-city-music-track-by-track

The actual song City Music is my favorite if you want an idea.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Real Name Grover posted:

This is a good post :respek:

arcade fire was my favorite band starting when I was 14. i was a weird teen, though.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

T Bowl posted:

Arcade Fire are like, dad rock to most teens nowadays.

Also, EDM is what the vast majority of people under 21 listen to for the most part at this point.
and Lil Yachty

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfedYa_JovE

Killers...so um yeah.

Better than the arcade fire single. dont @ me

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

incoherent posted:

Killers...so um yeah.

I heard this on the radio for the first time the other day and can't loving stand it haha

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

incoherent posted:

Killers...so um yeah.

I honestly don't know which I dislike more, this or the new Arcade Fire :lol:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I honestly don't know which I dislike more, this or the new Arcade Fire :lol:
Two bands who desperately want to be Springsteen. So I'd say what I dislike most is The Hold Steady.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
What inspires a band to do an ironic-male-ego anthem in 2017 AD

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Super Furry Animals are reissuing a remastered version (remastered by Kliph Scurlock, the drummer that was recently kicked out of The Flaming Lips) of their CLASSIC album Radiator and just released one of the unreleased songs they're offering, a "cover" of The Smiths' 'The Boy With the Thorn in His Side." Apparently it was rejected by the magazine that commissioned the cover. I wonder why.

https://soundcloud.com/salvolabel/sets/super-furry-animals-the-boy

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.
i dont know... i really dont see whats bad about either of the new arcade fire songs? they didnt floor me or anything, but they seemed pleasant enough to listen to. i also think people are really rose-tinting arcade fires earlier stuff, because honestly, neither of these songs would be out of place on funeral--musically or lyrically.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
I like both songs and am pretty excited for the new album. IMO they'll never top Funeral, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy this new stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

jeffLebowski posted:

i dont know... i really dont see whats bad about either of the new arcade fire songs? they didnt floor me or anything, but they seemed pleasant enough to listen to. i also think people are really rose-tinting arcade fires earlier stuff, because honestly, neither of these songs would be out of place on funeral--musically or lyrically.
Have you even listened to Funeral in the last several years?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
So they Day Wave guy was awesome live. I don't think anyone on here talks about him, and he seems to be shut out of discussions from most major music publications. Anyone on here get into his stuff? I would describe it as like Wild Nothing and dream pop like that mixed with a more pop punk vibe in the simplicity of songs and lyrics. Super catchy stuff.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

T Bowl posted:

So they Day Wave guy was awesome live. I don't think anyone on here talks about him, and he seems to be shut out of discussions from most major music publications. Anyone on here get into his stuff? I would describe it as like Wild Nothing and dream pop like that mixed with a more pop punk vibe in the simplicity of songs and lyrics. Super catchy stuff.

I've seen him a couple of times, but honestly the only lasting memory I have of his performances is a decent cover of Ceremony by New Order.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

interpunct posted:

I've seen him a couple of times, but honestly the only lasting memory I have of his performances is a decent cover of Ceremony by New Order.

Yeah that was probably my favorite part haha.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Have you even listened to Funeral in the last several years?

does this week count?

obviously, this stuff is subjective, but yeah... i dont think id bat an eye if everything now was squeezed in after neighborhood #1 or rebellion (assuming the overall production was constant).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Speaking of high ticket prices... just got ticket prices for The Avett Brothers, whom I have seen multiple times and they're great, and they *start* at $42 before fees with the highest being $85 before fees. What the gently caress??

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

jeffLebowski posted:

does this week count?

obviously, this stuff is subjective, but yeah... i dont think id bat an eye if everything now was squeezed in after neighborhood #1 or rebellion (assuming the overall production was constant).
It doesn't even sound close to any of the stuff on Funeral though :confused:

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

BonoMan posted:

Speaking of high ticket prices... just got ticket prices for The Avett Brothers, whom I have seen multiple times and they're great, and they *start* at $42 before fees with the highest being $85 before fees. What the gently caress??

What the gently caress is the appeal? Just go see Jared & The Mill for like $12.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

It doesn't even sound close to any of the stuff on Funeral though :confused:

haha, thats why i said its subjective: because i disagree. but ultimately its all a matter of opinion and kind of a pointless comparison though, so i guess i shouldnt have made it.

my main point was that i just dont really see whats so supposedly terrible about the new songs. its not like they sound drastically different from whats come before. anyone hearing them cold would immediately recognize them as arcade fire.

dont take that as a rabid defense, though. i think theyre alright. enjoyable enough and thats it.

i was just surprised by the reaction in the thread.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

T Bowl posted:

What the gently caress is the appeal? Just go see Jared & The Mill for like $12.

They put on a super great high energy show. And we've been following them since 2006 (I like them but they're my wife's fave band).

It's definitely worth it at $45 but that's the ceiling.... $85 fuckkkk no.

But I also checked around and it's apparently the venue as most other venues aren't going that high for them.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Does anyone else feel like they get overwhelmed with trying to hear stuff nowadays? New stuff is a big part of it, especially with the whole Spotify or other paid streaming service and a basically endless amount of music coming at you all the time... I love so much of it but can't seem to keep up.

I feel like I get stuck on a handful of things and spend too much time with them when there are so many other new albums/artist coming out at a breakneck pace that some of it just gets lost in the shuffle. I sometimes try to go back but the onslaught of my favorites at the moment, nostalgia of old releases, and potential new great stuff makes it all one huge mental cluster gently caress if you obsess over music like most people who occupy this thread probably do to a high degree.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

T Bowl posted:

Does anyone else feel like they get overwhelmed with trying to hear stuff nowadays? New stuff is a big part of it, especially with the whole Spotify or other paid streaming service and a basically endless amount of music coming at you all the time... I love so much of it but can't seem to keep up.

I feel like I get stuck on a handful of things and spend too much time with them when there are so many other new albums/artist coming out at a breakneck pace that some of it just gets lost in the shuffle. I sometimes try to go back but the onslaught of my favorites at the moment, nostalgia of old releases, and potential new great stuff makes it all one huge mental cluster gently caress if you obsess over music like most people who occupy this thread probably do to a high degree.

Not only do I feel like this but I feel like it's making me feel more negatively about music in general.

I love Spotify's Release Radar and Discover Weekly because they really do help me discover new music. But at the same time I feel like it's developed this stupidly high bar of "what gets on a playlist and what doesn't" in my brain to where I start thinking "man there just isn't a whole lot of great music right now."

But in reality I think it's just both the barrier of entry to hearing new music and the barrier of entry to *making* music are so impossibly low right now that, in reality, we do just get exposed to a lot of mundane poo poo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

T Bowl posted:

Yes and no. Like sometimes I'll let new releases pile up and listen to a bunch at once if I'm not anticipating one like crazy. I listened to the new Phoenix, Ride, 2 Chainz and Com Truise albums recently and none of them really stuck out to me so I probably wouldn't listen to them again. Meanwhile, I could listen to new albums like the new Kendrick, Slowdive and Do Make Say Think over and over again and never really get tired of them.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

I've saved 21 albums to my Spotify collection in the last month. Even when I sit down with the immediate purpose of listening to several in a row, I still can't catch up. I only listened to half of the new Big Thief before I had to move on to last week's seven (SEVEN!) new albums I was interested in, and I still have two or three of those to go. Streaming creates content overload.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:corsair: alert:

I read a study that said the median age people stop listening to new music artists is about 32 or 33. I'm 30 and my desire to seek out a new band to get into is very low these days.

I tend to look forward to new releases from artists I already love, and otherwise just listen through my 1200 or so albums on iTunes and the hundreds of custom playlists I've made for myself over the years.

Every so often (like every 3-6 months) I'll get a hankering for something different so I'll plug my favourite artists, in whatever genre I feel like listening to, into a recommendation engine like Last.fm, and check out 5 or 6 bands based on that. Rarely anymore do those new bands stick with me and become a regular favourite though.

(I know that recommendation websites like this tend to narrow your taste into really specific areas rather than expose you to stuff you'd never consider listening to, but :shrug:)

I aspergerfully keep lists of what I consider my top 20 or so bands, updating every year (or sometimes more often), and over the last 5 years especially only one or two bands has displaced any of my old favourites.

I'm okay with all of this! The bands I love are still putting out music and I have so much to listen to that I know I like. I just don't feel the pressure to keep up with a music scene or know what's new and what's getting big these days. I'll know I'll probably come across new stuff I like serendipitously (is that a word?) in the future and if I miss an album or two I might like, no big deal. You kids can have your spotifies and your jjj hottest 100s :corsair:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 21, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I definitely have that feeling sometimes as well, although I think streaming services have been helpful for me in that regard. Without them, I'm almost certain I'd be even more tied down to my old favorites, especially at this stage of life where I don't really have much time to just sit at my computer with headphones on. (I suspect the time people stop getting into new artists is suspiciously close to the time they have kids, and they emerge from the haze 20 years later with no idea what happened in music during that time.)

Any time I hear about some artist or album that I'm remotely curious about, I can go ahead and listen to it (in the car, usually). I think almost every album I've bought in the past 5 years is either from an artist I've known about since college, or an album where I did a "try before you buy" on streaming services and would not have otherwise given it a chance.

That being said, I'm definitely getting into some new ruts. Most of the time I don't do "radio" since I can't pre-download it. Moreover, genre-wise, it's a bit of a struggle to find something I like that isn't similar to the white boy pop-rock I grew up with. That's the biggest challenge right now. Once in a while I go for broke and play through the chart-toppers playlist on Google, but it doesn't usually do much for me. Then again, if I were to do that 20 years ago I'd be hearing Backstreet Boys, so that shouldn't be too surprising.

*begrudgingly bookmarks Foo Fighters thread*

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 21, 2017

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
No such thing as too much music IMO and I thank whoever the investors are that continue to pump Spotify full of money so I can listen to any music I want whenever I want. I've discovered so much new stuff since I got Spotify premium, I think it's just lovely.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

http://ilovestvincent.com/#tour

St. Vincent just announced a tour, so hopefully news of a new album will be forthcoming.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

T Bowl posted:

Thanks for this recommendation, its p good.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Yeah Spotify was used for that study on when the average person stops listening to new tunes and yes it mostly has to do with children.

http://www.avclub.com/article/new-study-shows-people-stop-listening-new-music-33-218752

I still don't have kids but I'm friends with a lot of people who still don't in the early 30s who all have basically given up on new music. I still am weirdly obsessed with new music and finding new artist and whatever is being hyped at the moment but maybe the feeling of being overwhelmed by it all is the old man creeping in to my soul.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

(Sandy) Alex G puts on a great live show if anyone is on the fence about going.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

interpunct posted:

http://ilovestvincent.com/#tour

St. Vincent just announced a tour, so hopefully news of a new album will be forthcoming.

I read somewhere album by the end of the year? She said it will be a "sea-change" in her sound. So I am very excited.

She has really mastered the aesthetic, though. The tour announcement video is :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
New Ariel Pink!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwe76N7J0EI

New El Goodo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBCuycMndn0

Good day for music.