Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Just picked up some 80s enkeis with a polished lip, the inner barrels are pretty dirty, and I want to use a stick on wheel weight when I balance them. Will non chlorinated brake kleen be safe on the aluminum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Use the right tool for the job. Get some Sonax from Amazon, that poo poo will wreck baked on grime and brake dust.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Right on, I got that chemical Guys iron remover I'm gonna start with that and a stiff brush.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

fps_bill posted:

Wash->clay->compound->polish->wax
I guess you could compound and polish by hand but it'd take a good goddam long time. I wouldn't want to do it.

What's a good product for matte vinyl? I washed and waxed my car today and figured I'd try meguiars ultimate black thing whatever it's called. Anyway that was a big mistake, went on splotchy and streaky. I ended up getting it off and everything looks fine now but f that stuff.

I have been using 303 products this year and found them to work very well on both shiny plastic (bumpers and trim) and matte stuff (dashboards, doorpanels, etc). It seems to last a while as well. If it's seats I would use whatever leather cleaner and product you have.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
I got a clay kit for the Mustang, never used it before. Should I wash with something like dish soap to strip off wax/etc first, clay, then wash and wax?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

H2SO4 posted:

I got a clay kit for the Mustang, never used it before. Should I wash with something like dish soap to strip off wax/etc first, clay, then wash and wax?
Yes, wash it. Not strictly necessary for it to be dish soap, just get the car to the normal level of "clean" however you'd usually wash it.

You want the clay to be getting dirt out the paint, not wasting it on stuff on it.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So is there anything special I need to do in terms of maintenance / care for a car that has a ceramic coating? Getting my car wrapped at the end of the month and having Ceramic Pro applied on top of it but have no idea on how to actually take care of it.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Don't wax over a coating, and there should be a product that you reapply every few months to keep the hydrophobic property up. I haven't used CarPro specifically, but have the Adam's Polishes coating on my truck and actually just applied their Ceramic Boost yesterday.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Don't wax over a coating, and there should be a product that you reapply every few months to keep the hydrophobic property up. I haven't used CarPro specifically, but have the Adam's Polishes coating on my truck and actually just applied their Ceramic Boost yesterday.

Sorry, just to clarify you are using Adam's ceramic paint coating on your truck? Do you just wash it as normal?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Yes and yes. I've used Optimum No Rinse on it or washed it with a two bucket method.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

InitialDave posted:

To be perfectly honest, if you've not done any detailing before, Meguiar's "smooth surface" box kit which includes clay, detailing spray, and a small bottle of their "cleaner wax" will give you a cheap all-in-one starter (note: you're "meant" to use the detailer spray as clay lube, don't bother. Use regular mildly soapy water, and save the detailer spray for its own task).

Thanks. I just wanted to get a first timers buying list to get my car looking pretty good. It's old and I'm not super fussed about it but thought it would be fun to get it looking good versus paying hundred of dollars to get someone else to do it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Anybody have recommendations for cleaning off tire blooming (brown poo poo) from your tires? I googled it and it's natural I guess after all. I scrubbed at that stuff today for too long and then even tried using Dawn on it since I initially thought it was from a PO tire dressing or something but that barely did anything. I don't want to use a high gloss dressing on the tires, just get them looking clean/newish.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Try dressing, but wipe it off after application rather than leaving it.

Though as I have said before in the thread, try Armor All foam aerosol tyre dressing. I find it gives a good finish without that subtle hint of no-money-down used car lot.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
There are a few rubber cleaners out there that help take it off, Griot's is what I've been using lately, but I don't know that I'd necessarily buy it again over any of the others available.

I still use a dressing, but specifically I use matte/flat dressing to avoid the armor all shininess and low quality (applied to a foam pad then applied to the tires to avoid any overspray onto the car or wheels).

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Not to sound like an Adam's shill in this thread but their Tire and Rubber Cleaner works great for debriefing tires

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Bleach white says it's made for white walls but it cleans brown poo poo off of regular tires too. You can find it at any Wal-Mart, it's cheap, and smells like peppermint.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Clayed the mustang and put on the first Ammo Reflex coating. Acts more or less like Rain-X, letting it cure then putting on a second layer to cure overnight. After that I'll do the normal wash/wax/dry and hopefully have a more substantial review here.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Just spent about 2 hours on the interior of the ISF, didn't take any before pictures because it looked fine before I started, but the boars head brushes and steam cleaners really brought out the funk.

Any tips on cleaning perforated seats? I don't know if I used too much product on the first seat or what, but I ended up with weird white spots in some of the holes that wouldn't come out.

If anyone is on the fence about a steamer, do it. I was able to get into the seat rails so much better, and the carpets came out great.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
I decided not to let Reflex sit overnight and just do two coatings, then the whole wash/spray wax/dry/paste sealant shebang.

Holy poo poo, this thing looks amazing. Will take some pics tomorrow. It's a shitload of work to do all the foundation stuff, but good lord it looks like it was worth it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Applied the clay and compound, car looks awesome. I'm going to wax next, can I use my polisher to apply that? The bottle doesn't say.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've done it that way using a clean foam pad. I'd say let'er rip tater chip.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Red_Fred posted:

Applied the clay and compound, car looks awesome. I'm going to wax next, can I use my polisher to apply that? The bottle doesn't say.

Absolutely, and I recommend it. You don't need as much product and it makes the process go much faster.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks, was pretty easy. Final part is the rubber trim and wheels, any recommended products? My wax said not to put on rubber so I just wiped it with a wet cloth after I had waxed the car, hope that is ok for it.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Depends on the condition of the rubber. I lot of people like 303 protectant and I have a bottle, but haven't gotten into it yet (though will when I finally detail my wife's SUV for the summer). I've used griots vinyl/rubber treatment for that too and I guess it's ok, though I like it better on tires.

For wheels, I'm assuming they're clean (if not, Sonax), in which I case I don't treat them with anything wash to wash. I do however wax them before mounting them for winter/summer (when I'm mounting the set) with a decent synthetic liquid wax. I've yet to determine if that actually helps for more than a few washes... It's totally possible sonax wheel cleaner strips it off pretty quickly.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Can you clay bar Matte vinyl? Some bird got me good while I was at work and you can sort of see the stain in certain light. It's got a big drip so it was a nice watery one.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
Generally no. The matte look is dependent on the surface finish and the clay bar will polish the area making it look different. I have a matte hood which I will never get again for this reason. However, mine is matte paint so matte wrap/vinyl may be more forgiving.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

clay bar does have a mild polish aspect to it, but me, I'd rather have a little bit of a polished space (on a bra) than a big ol' bird poo poo outline. Maybe start where it's worst and see how it goes, then stop or proceed depending on the results?

Good news, your clear bra fulfilled it's purpose so you can feel good about that purchase! :)

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Speaking of bird poo poo, I was cleaning my car earlier and it had what I initially thought was bird crap on the bonnet. After all of my usual methods of cleaning it off failed, I became suspicious and poked at it. It was hard and smooth on the surface, then when I dug a bit off with my nail it was incredibly sticky under the surface, superglue-sticky. It's as if a splash of some kind of glue or perhaps a giant chunk of tree sap hit the bonnet. Any idea what I can try cleaning it off with that won't obliterate the paint? Or am I just a moron who has been poking at bird poo poo for the better part of half an hour?

(The myriad little lines are just water and quick detailer, not scratches)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Grakkus posted:

Or am I just a moron who has been poking at bird poo poo for the better part of half an hour?

Probably. Just get a bunch of water and slowly pour it over the area while you pull at it wit a fingernail. It'll come off. Then go back to the basic clay/polish/wax routine.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Are you sure it isn't some kinda tar? I parked my car under the elevated train a few times and it happened to drip this nast sticky tar poo poo on my paint that was impossible to get off. I hear Goo Gone works well though.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I would start with turtle wax bug and tar. Just give it a spritz and let it sit for a few minutes out of the sun. Should come right off.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

rdb posted:

I would start with turtle wax bug and tar. Just give it a spritz and let it sit for a few minutes out of the sun. Should come right off.

That stuff is awesome. I kept a can in my truck back when it came in a pourable form and not a spray.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

vigorous licking!

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
New to detailing here; I just did my first job but skipped the wheels. What's the verdict on wheel sealants? Is it worth doing, and if so what's a decent product? My friend put on something called McKee's 37 Wheel Coating on his brand new wheels and it feels like it didn't do poo poo for protecting against brake dust, so I'm a little skeptical.

Here's the results of wash, clay, polish, sealant, and finally wax. I think it turned out pretty well. It did hurt a little discovering like 15 rock chips though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I love that red so much. Great job!

I made a thing shiny:

Edit*

I also made another thing shiny last year and forgot to post pictures:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 30, 2017

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Wife's new car has some wax down in the black plastic trim. Is there a way to remove it or am I stuck using something like back to back to mask it?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

QuarkMartial posted:

Wife's new car has some wax down in the black plastic trim. Is there a way to remove it or am I stuck using something like back to back to mask it?

Peanut butter.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Dish soap will remove it btw but peanut butter will make it look new.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Peanut oil works just as well and is less of a pain in the rear end then using peanut butter.
I used to have to use it on the black plastics on my old mk2 Golf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, but peanut butter is hilarious when your neighbour's dog comes to help.