Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
She said new favorite, not favorite new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Still finding the opening missions in Crackdown really satisfying. You can either progress from the front door and try to fight your way through, or just find where the boss is, jump there like Silver Age Superman then just kick them to death, then just die in the hail of bullets if you don't feel like fighting your way back out. Of course, now I'm at Cortez who will not be nearly as straightforward, as even his secret entrance is fairly well guarded. Then the Volk are just hard as most of their buildings are tiny and can't be just scaled to find the boss as a result, and Shai Gen pretty much make you fight your way most of the way regardless of your strategy.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I'm playing Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble (the game with the eye lasers) on my PSP and I love the talking smack feature. If you gently caress it up and say something incomprehensible then you get smacked and the guy screams at you for being an idiot; however if you say something that makes sense then the guy you're talking to will generally give off a funny retort.

edit: You can dress up in a banana suit and the game still acts like you're a badass delinquent. It's like Wei being the worst cop

Testekill has a new favorite as of 13:09 on Jun 17, 2017

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've only heard of it called a Brazilian kick. Here, have an annoying video of a guy that fights in real life like a Tekken character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nFSaLhHo8o

And now I need to go read Seanbaby's MMA articles again.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Testekill posted:

I'm playing Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble (the game with the eye lasers) on my PSP and I love the talking smack feature. If you gently caress it up and say something incomprehensible then you get smacked and the guy screams at you for being an idiot; however if you say something that makes sense then the guy you're talking to will generally give off a funny retort.

The Japanese trailer had the catchiest song to accompany it. It's comes and goes in my head from time to time

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stuntman posted:

Robbing someone by punching their money out of them is my new favorite little thing in games.

I think it's the only example of getting money mid-fight instead of after they're dead. That Scott Pilgrim game and No More Heroes had them all explode money after they were dead, and you'd generally get cash after beating a monster in an RPG, but I think this is the only example I can think of for cash throughout combat.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Japanese trailer for Bionic Commando: Rearmed had an awesome faux-80s theme song by that one Japanese Tom Jones dude who did every other anime theme song back in the day :hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FgUrm8uoCY

RareAcumen posted:

I think it's the only example of getting money mid-fight instead of after they're dead. That Scott Pilgrim game and No More Heroes had them all explode money after they were dead, and you'd generally get cash after beating a monster in an RPG, but I think this is the only example I can think of for cash throughout combat.

This is why I always trained up characters with Steal/Mug abilities in JRPGs even when it was impractical in fights and also unnecessary due to the game's economy, gotta have that mid-fight cha-ching.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I'm playing Ducktales Remastered and I love that there's a dedicated section that lets you just high dive into the money vault and swim around to your little ducky hearts content :3:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

I'm playing Ducktales Remastered and I love that there's a dedicated section that lets you just high dive into the money vault and swim around to your little ducky hearts content :3:

There's even a trophy for doing it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh I just remembered something I loved in Crackdown, the Agency cars transforming when you improved your driving skill. That was a cool thing I wish they'd kept in 2.

I like games like that where you're much more efficient on foot but they still give you a reason to use cars sometimes. Especially when the reason is its just as fun

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Guy Mann posted:

BARF!

:3: :allears:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Silhouette Mirage had that the main source of income, and every grabbable Enemy had their pockets punched out.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

RareAcumen posted:

I can't believe you never played Coin Battle in SSBM (actually I totally can)

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

BioEnchanted posted:

Still finding the opening missions in Crackdown really satisfying. You can either progress from the front door and try to fight your way through, or just find where the boss is, jump there like Silver Age Superman then just kick them to death, then just die in the hail of bullets if you don't feel like fighting your way back out. Of course, now I'm at Cortez who will not be nearly as straightforward, as even his secret entrance is fairly well guarded. Then the Volk are just hard as most of their buildings are tiny and can't be just scaled to find the boss as a result, and Shai Gen pretty much make you fight your way most of the way regardless of your strategy.

It's probably been 8 or 9 years since I've played it, and I barely remember anything I did in it except one. There was this one boss, who looking it up I guess must've been Olga of the Eastern European gang, would just hang out in a cave with a bunch of dudes who would wreck you once you stepped foot in there. It felt like I tried dozens of times to get to her, but failure after failure lead me to just jacking an 18 wheeler, rammed it right in there, and just ran her over as much as I could before the truck exploded.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I can't believe you never played Coin Battle in SSBM (actually I totally can)

I have, actually! I'm just terrible at remembering all the games that I've played.

Another example that comes to mind now is Sly Cooper.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Now that I only have Wang to go, I'll admit that I was wrong about the Shai Gen being boring. The General across the courtyard from Wang actually has a pretty cool yet understated ascent - you literally just take the elevator, the climb the stairs past fighting the usual goons. You get a little lost right at the top, it looks like you can go further but it's all dead ends - then I finally noticed the door leading outside to a balcony. From there I was able to complete my ascent and place a few rockets in the Generals remaining eye. Fairly calm, but an interesting ascent. Especially because in the Elevator if you face outside you can see the buildings receding below you as you go higher and higher, which is pretty cool. I also like that each of the Shai Gen have a unique building that's way more interesting architecturally than the Volk's generic, although pretty and well rendered, industrial area or the endless blocks of apartments fighting Los Muertos. I also like that there are some similarities, the core of the hypnotist/propagandists building is practically the same shape, a glass ball on top of a short shaft like a gumball machine, as the Intel girl. Her gumballl machine is just on the roof instead of behind more glass.

Just one more to go, and I have easy enough access to the shortcut building next door :) Just need to figure out how to make the jump to the balcony of Wang's Tower from there.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

It's probably been 8 or 9 years since I've played it, and I barely remember anything I did in it except one. There was this one boss, who looking it up I guess must've been Olga of the Eastern European gang, would just hang out in a cave with a bunch of dudes who would wreck you once you stepped foot in there. It felt like I tried dozens of times to get to her, but failure after failure lead me to just jacking an 18 wheeler, rammed it right in there, and just ran her over as much as I could before the truck exploded.

I don't think I ever did this boss correctly. Every time I went to fight her something, or somebody, would blow her up before I could find her.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

SomeJazzyRat posted:

There was definitely one like that in crackdown 2. you had to go into a cave overlooking a mine and everyone had rocket launchers.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

jojoinnit posted:

For real? Holy poo poo, dude. That's a level of love and care that a lot of remakes never approach. I don't suppose it ever got a Steam release?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It did actually get a Steam release.

It should go without saying but the game is unquestionably worth the $15 price tag.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Time_pants posted:

For real? Holy poo poo, dude. That's a level of love and care that a lot of remakes never approach. I don't suppose it ever got a Steam release?

It did, you should definitely play it. It even got all of the old cast to reprise their roles!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I love how unashamedly goofy The Saboteur is. PC Sean Devlin is a foul-mouthed one man murder machine who can soak up gunfire and regenerate his health almost instantly. He could probably win the war single-handedly if he set his mind to it. It makes the stealth mechanics all but redundant, as the quickest and most fun way to do missions is to drive a car at full speed into the Nazis, burst out and run around machine-gunning the bastards while Sean shouts "BOLLOCKS" repeatedly.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 23:38 on Jun 18, 2017

Cum Galleon
Oct 16, 2004

Your shipment has arrived.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I love how unashamedly goofy The Saboteur is. PC Sean Devlin is a foul-mouthed one man murder machine who can soak up gunfire and regenerate his health almost instantly. He could probably win the war single-handedly if he set his mind to it. It makes the stealth mechanics all but redundant, as the quickest and most fun way to do missions is to drive a car at full speed into the Nazis, burst out and run around machine-gunning the bastards while Sean shouts "BOLLOCKS" repeatedly.

Oim fuckin Irish

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Gann Jerrod posted:

It did, you should definitely play it. It even got all of the old cast to reprise their roles!

I'm not sure if you're joking. Who is reprising their roles? You mean they got the rights to use all of the Disney characters from the original?

Fake edit: WAIT. You mean they got all the voice actors from the Disney Afternoon cartoon show to do the voicing for the characters in the remake?!?! WHAT?!?! Please tell me that's what you're saying holy poo poo please tell me that I'm understanding you correctly oh my God

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cum Galleon posted:

Oim fuckin Irish

Top o' the moirnin to 'ya!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Time_pants posted:

I'm not sure if you're joking. Who is reprising their roles? You mean they got the rights to use all of the Disney characters from the original?

Fake edit: WAIT. You mean they got all the voice actors from the Disney Afternoon cartoon show to do the voicing for the characters in the remake?!?! WHAT?!?! Please tell me that's what you're saying holy poo poo please tell me that I'm understanding you correctly oh my God

This is correct. And it's as great as it sounds.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I think it was the last time Scrooge's voice actor ever did any kind of voice work before he died as well :(

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

It plays up the B-movie tone really well. It's like you're playing a pulp novel from the 30's.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I think it was the last time Scrooge's voice actor ever did any kind of voice work before he died as well :(

Bless his bagpipes.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Time_pants posted:

In theory it is very cool and they turned the game into an episode of the original cartoon but eventually you are like CAN I JUST POGO SOME DUDES TO DEATH SHEESH

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm the last person to play Brütal Legend.
Maybe it's because I knew going in that it was a pseudo RTS but I don't get the hate.
It's funny, the combat is pretty okay and the designs are loving rad.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

I'm the last person to play Brütal Legend.
Maybe it's because I knew going in that it was a pseudo RTS but I don't get the hate.
It's funny, the combat is pretty okay and the designs are loving rad.
You'll figure it out later, alas.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Prey is an unreal amount of fun. If you miss SS2, pick up Prey.

Funny thing: the usual thing about passwords in games like this/deus ex: there's an announcement on the overhead that says something to the effect of "sticky notes, no matter how well hidden, are not an effective means of password management" :3:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

JPrime posted:

Funny thing: the usual thing about passwords in games like this/deus ex: there's an announcement on the overhead that says something to the effect of "sticky notes, no matter how well hidden, are not an effective means of password management" :3:

A semi-related little thing I like, slamming "0451" into the first door I can find in any scifi game, and it drat near always works :v: it's a cute tradition

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

JPrime posted:

One great "favorite little thing in games" is the amount of FPS-RPG games that make a point to have one security combination be 451 or 0451.

Edit: Beaten.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There's a lot to love about Majesty, it's an old cult classic of a game, but the sound design is top notch along with unit names. I just had a dude named Combaticus Obnauticus scream "RAAAAAAAGH! COME TO PAPA!" so hard a vampire exploded.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

I got F1 2016 for really cheap in the PSN sale going on right now and I love the fact that you can save mid race. It's especially awesome since I'm usually doing at least 50% of a full race which is like 30 laps or so.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cythereal posted:

There's a lot to love about Majesty, it's an old cult classic of a game, but the sound design is top notch along with unit names. I just had a dude named Combaticus Obnauticus scream "RAAAAAAAGH! COME TO PAPA!" so hard a vampire exploded.

Holy poo poo I was sure I was the only person to play Majesty. The voice acting was just the best loving thing in the game, it was so utterly hilarious.

"Oooooh, pretty star!"- Said by cultist when levelling up.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Josef bugman posted:

Holy poo poo I was sure I was the only person to play Majesty. The voice acting was just the best loving thing in the game, it was so utterly hilarious.

"Oooooh, pretty star!"- Said by cultist when levelling up.

The incredibly camp "Tax collectoooooor!" might have been my favourite.

Or just anything the adviser says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Majesty Gold was my first ever pirated CD game. I remember I wrote the name "majesty gold" on the first copy I made for a friend in ballpoint and accidentally ruined the CD, and had to make a second copy.

While I made the second copy we walked to the local public pool and had a nice swim, then came back and played it all night on TWO computers.